pre-residency work in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

terezliatko

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I'm an FMG, currently finishing University in Europe, starting with steps- plan to get ecfmg certified within year and apply for a residency next year.

I would like to come to US within next months tough, ideally having a relevant work, e.g. research. However, with current visa status and a hardship of getting any work/ visa.... how do you relocate and find a job in US? I need to support myself financially and I am not sure if I can right now get even a McDonalds position (or will anybody at all sponsor my visa and get me a job?) Do you have anybody experiences with this?

Thank you so much, any kind of experience would be greatly appreciated,

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everybody,

I'm an FMG, currently finishing University in Europe, starting with steps- plan to get ecfmg certified within year and apply for a residency next year.

I would like to come to US within next months tough, ideally having a relevant work, e.g. research. However, with current visa status and a hardship of getting any work/ visa.... how do you relocate and find a job in US? I need to support myself financially and I am not sure if I can right now get even a McDonalds position (or will anybody at all sponsor my visa and get me a job?) Do you have anybody experiences with this?

Thank you so much, any kind of experience would be greatly appreciated,

You cannot just come to the US and start working here. Don't expect a burger joint to sponsor you a visa either. If you want to do research, find a research position that pays at a university and have them sponsor your visa. To arrange this usually requires time, 6-12 months I would guess. Don't sign up for research though if you are not into it. It will just lead to frustration on both sides.

Reactions: 1 user
You cannot just come to the US and start working here. Don't expect a burger joint to sponsor you a visa either. If you want to do research, find a research position that pays at a university and have them sponsor your visa. To arrange this usually requires time, 6-12 months I would guess. Don't sign up for research though if you are not into it. It will just lead to frustration on both sides.

Thank you for your reply. I would like to do a surgical specialty and was focused on that past years (doing various internships). I have very limited research experience- a month long ifmsa work in lab in Brazil. However, I think I would enjoy and definitely would gave it my best working on a research for a period of time. It is an area I would love to improve and learn more about as I believe it would only help me to become a better physician.
I was looking at a research positions for a few weeks now, but it seems a bit unrealistic to get a paid university research spot ahead (while not being present in the US yet). So I was wandering if it is actually possible? Would I have a shot to arrange something like that?

I know I am one of the many people that would very much like to get a job and visa as this in the US and that it is not at all an easy task. However, I would just like an realistic opinion on it, if I am completely out of the picture with trying this, or I actually stand a chance here.

Thank you once again.