Swiss residency competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMG69

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone got or do you know of a list that states how competitive each of the different specialties are? I've heard psych isn't competitive at all but i'd love info for basically every residency.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Has anyone got or do you know of a list that states how competitive each of the different specialties are? I've heard psych isn't competitive at all but i'd love info for basically every residency.

Thanks

Do you know how residencies work in Switzerland, Germany and Austria? It's a diferent system.

You will probably find open psych spots because it's not that sought after.

The job market for residents is more competitive in Switzerland than Germany and Austria. Many german MDs move to Switzerland. I would recommend going to Germany instead. There are plenty of residency spots open in Germany at all times. I get bombarded by facebook posts of recruitment agencies looking for residents in every specialty.

This is for the german Cantons. I'm not sure how it works in the French/Italian cantons.

With the language, be mindful that the german spoken in Switzerland is basically a dialect that even Germans find hard to understand.

Do you know how residencies work in Switzerland, Germany and Austria? It's a diferent system.

The job market for residents is more competitive in Switzerland than Germany and Austria. Many german MDs move to Switzerland. I would recommend going to Germany instead. There are plenty of residency spots open in Germany at all times. I get bombarded by facebook posts of recruitment agencies looking for residents in every specialty.

This is for the german Cantons. I'm not sure how it works in the French/Italian cantons.

With the language, be mindful that the german spoken in Switzerland is basically a dialect that even Germans find hard to understand.

Thanks, yes I know about it all however other than word of mouth (idk how reliable) I haven't been able to get any info on how competitive certain things are.

Members don't see this ad :)

Does this apply for US citizen, Caribbean graduates? How does someone (like me) in that situation go about jobs in any European country I have not found any avenues.

Does this apply for US citizen, Caribbean graduates? How does someone (like me) in that situation go about jobs in any European country I have not found any avenues.

In Europe every country has it's own rules and regulations. You must pick a country to begin with and follow the prescribed legal guidelines to obtain a medical license. After 3 years of practicing in a country within the EU, you are allowed to transfer your license to another country.

As a general concept, the only thing that matters is if you did medical school inside or outside the European Union. Graduates from a EU country can easily have their credentials validated within the different countries. If you have a non-EU medical degree then the process is longer. A medical degree from the US is treated the same as any other country outside the EU.

I'm aware of the process in Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Sweden/Spain. If you are interested in knowing how any of those work let me know.

Reactions: 1 user

Well you would have to complete one year of residency at the minimum in any field.

I have done one year in internal medicine
Well based off what i've been told; start learning German if you already have a B2 level then register for the FP/KP now. Apparently it takes 6 months to get a test date so study up during that wait time so you pass. That's pretty much it, once your German allows start messaging the hospital departments trying to get a job.

Reactions: 1 user