Surgical Videos for Visual Learners

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DogSnoot

Reaction score
For visual learners, do you have any specific individual, website or resource you would suggest that could provide surgical videos ?

I realize books have been mentioned but it’s helpful to have videos specifically made for surgical techniques. Obviously YouTube is a great resource but I’m looking for additional suggestions. Please see link below as an example. All and any links would be greatly appreciated.

Foot and Ankle Surgery Academy

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Vumedi

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Foot innovate, orthoacle

Reactions: 1 users
Time is limited... I would definitely say to start with the best ones:
ACFAS video series forefoot, RRA, trauma, and diabetic.
^^^Those are a VERY good use of your resident GME allowance.

The vids that come DVD or digital with Easley or Myerson or Couglin ortho textbooks are good.

GTEF and Podiatry Institute vids are ok (usually given free at meetings, newest ones might cost a bit on their websites).

Other than that, Foot Innovate and Vumedi are both good and both free (at the price of many ads). They are ok for seeing some of the newer trends and trial surgery ideas.

I would stay away from anything with recurring cost... anatomy doesn't change, and there are too many already available free or with low one-time cost that will then be available to you for decades (and often get you on-demand CME hours or a textbook along with them). Save that money each month for paying student loans or new conferences in the future or whatever. Never ideal to pick up more and more recurring expenses/payment plans if it's avoidable. That's jmo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Time is limited... I would definitely say to start with the best ones:
ACFAS video series forefoot, RRA, trauma, and diabetic.
^^^Those are a VERY good use of your resident GME allowance.

The vids that come DVD or digital with Easley or Myerson or Couglin ortho textbooks are good.

GTEF and Podiatry Institute vids are ok (usually given free at meetings, newest ones might cost a bit on their websites).

Other than that, Foot Innovate and Vumedi are both good and both free (at the price of many ads). They are ok for seeing some of the newer trends and trial surgery ideas.

I would stay away from anything with recurring cost... anatomy doesn't change, and there are too many already available free or with low one-time cost that will then be available to you for decades (and often get you on-demand CME hours or a textbook along with them). Save that money each month for paying student loans or new conferences in the future or whatever. Never ideal to pick up more and more recurring expenses/payment plans if it's avoidable. That's jmo.

Agreed. The foot and ankle surgery academy videos are a complete rip off. $600 annual rate for attendings. Are we serious?

Reactions: 3 users
Agreed. The foot and ankle surgery academy videos are a complete rip off. $600 annual rate for attendings. Are we serious?
I am pretty sure they're just targeting residency programs and the hospital GME "disposable" money (sorta like PRESENT preys on) to get subscription monies that way. People spend stupid with money that's not their own. It's actually not a dumb plan... for the "education" makers.

I would doubt any attendings are dumb enough to pay that rate with all of the better/free content out there. Never know.
If they do, that's sad... you could go to a good annual meeting to get your CME or buy all ACFAS DVDs and own them forever for that same $.

It is just exceedingly stupid to have a monthly payment on anything not absolutely necessary (especially these days with high inflation), but tons of people have a $39/mo phone in addition to their phone bill, so there ya go. Most people who like monthly payments/leases tend to have a whole lot of them :)

Reactions: 1 user
Ya but $600 a year is only $1.64 a day, that’s less than a cup of coffee.
What a deal!!!

• Hmm
  • Haha
YouTube is pretty good these days honestly.

As a resident, I use the Foot and Ankle Surgery Academy a lot. The commentary is helpful-- the tips have helped me in surgery. I signed up very early on and it was pretty inexpensive. I don't know what the cost is now. YouTube of course.

Surgical Exposures in Foot and Ankle Surgery (book) is helpful for things I haven't done in a while.

Sometimes I just draw things out when preparing for a case. We have a cadaver lab on site with access at any time, which is the most helpful.

And I bug my seniors who will talk through cases with me or draw it out, or help in the cadaver lab. Probably the most helpful before a case.

I definitely don't have better answers unfortunately.