Surgical number concern in residency with COVID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gamerpod

Reaction score
Was wondering if any other residents are concerned with the number of current cases and decrease in cases due to to COVID my area was hit very hard and its clear that many people would not want elective surgery at this time. Our clinic numbers are down as well as a surgical.numbers and there is concern of meeting graduation requirements

Members don't see this ad.

If I was held back from graduating residency because of COVID it would be the perfect excuse to have my Podiatry school loans dismissed. I wouldn’t hesitate to look back. I would then RUN to the nearest MD, PA, or NP school so that I can be deemed valuable by the government‘s standards, have full scope, a plethora of job opportunities, ubiquitous public acceptance, and a guaranteed shot at making greater than $80K. Did I mention not having to show up to another Podiatrist’s office to make $80K as an associate AFTER $300K in loans and 11 years of schooling? (my soul died a little more typing that).

How is any of this answering OPs question? Derailing is against the TOS.

Reactions: 1 users
If I was held back from graduating residency because of COVID it would be the perfect excuse to have my Podiatry school loans dismissed. I wouldn’t hesitate to look back. I would then RUN to the nearest MD, PA, or NP school so that I can be deemed valuable by the government‘s standards, have full scope, a plethora of job opportunities, ubiquitous public acceptance, and a guaranteed shot at making greater than $80K. Did I mention not having to show up to another Podiatrist’s office to make $80K as an associate AFTER $300K in loans and 11 years of schooling? (my soul died a little more typing that).

Seriously?

Or you stick it out. Keep your student loans as low as possible, ditch the poor me attitude, be a go getter, dont expect life to feed you with a golden spoon, and bust some.

I pulling in around 400k this tax year.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

godfather only has to cut 16,500 toenails and trim 5,500 calluses to collect that each year (or 28k fungal toenails and 9k calluses to cover overhead and gross $400k). So You’re getting a raw deal...

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Elective volume now isn't as big of an issue as you'd think. If the program was fine last year, it probably still is. Elective is picking back up again. I probably did 6-8 cases just this last month or two that we'd written up back last winter and then had to put on hold... plus the new ones keep rolling in. The deformities don't heal themselves, and ppl always keep getting injured/infected. Personally, I feel the elective (bunions, ankle instab, planus, fusions, plastics stuff, etc) is the most demanding in terms of expectaions/cosmesis/trust/legal risk, so I totally appreciate the concern about getting enough in PGYs.

...This is why I passed on interviewing at a few programs that had dynamite attendings, research/text galore... but triple scrub on most cases, though. You never know when crazy stuff will happen (key attending leaves or gets hurt, hospital/program politics lose a facility, program adds spots and dilutes numbers, you have to miss time during PGY, pandemic nonsense, etc etc etc). You always want a huge surplus of case numbers if you can find it. Besides eeeking by to graduation, it just helps you for skill, confidence, and privileges after. Gotta take the training wheels off early :)

Seriously?

Or you stick it out. Keep your student loans as low as possible, ditch the poor me attitude, be a go getter, dont expect life to feed you with a golden spoon, and bust some.

You are not pulling in 400k after taxes. No way. Before taxes...sure

tenor.gif

Reactions: 2 users
godfather only has to cut 16,500 toenails and trim 5,500 calluses to collect that each year (or 28k fungal toenails and 9k calluses to cover overhead and gross $400k). So You’re getting a raw deal...

W2 employee with nice bonus structure. As cutswithfury mentioned is pretax but thats what I'm pulling in.

I am working crazy long hours.

Just giving another side of the coin to the post thats now deleted from osteopathicfootdentist.

The greatest trick Feli ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist...

• Haha
Feli has been having too successful of a career to frolic in the mud with the rest of us :)

Reactions: 1 user

ok so first off ... just because i moped the floor with you in a couple of other posts you dont have to have a personal vendetta towards me, your hate is oozing through this screen please tame it just a bit hater, lets just get that out of the way ..... next up never underestimate or undermine RFC and its power in a PP setting youll just make a fool of yourself like you have above .... i now have other docs that work with me and i pay them well, everyone is happy we do full range of pod services that make sense time and money wise, it a collective effort .... my overhead alone is way above 400k .... and knowing what i now know, i would not be happy making 400k as a W2 and get smacked at EVERY paycheck .... and lastly if you ever come to the NE your free to come work for me instead of bouncing around in whatever situation you're in right now ill give you a good deal... im not like these other NE guys

W2 and taxes does suck. But also good to know I have a solid paycheck every 2 weeks.

And to the OP. Most regular posters on here are no longer residents. Doubtful you get that much advice.

Personally I am back to normal numbers. In fact I'm slammed not only with the end of the year rush but a post covid global case cancellation rush. I knocked out 6 cases today.

W2 and taxes does suck. But also good to know I have a solid paycheck every 2 weeks.

Yes i agree with you on this ..... but i do feel that this can be a big deterrent to going into PP for oneself/ the safety of it all etc, it certainly held me back for sometime also... i would like to add that if one manages money well in PP and there is good cash flow coming in monthly, just the profit you get monthly can help provide the same benefit/cushion for an extended period of time

That's exactly what a NE guy would say....

I find that investing in the people around me and making sure that they are happy is actually beneficial to the the patients and the business ... vs the revolving door like other places, they end up loosing more patients in the long run when they keep seeing diff docs every six months to a year ... at the end of the day its all about money and putting food on the table give people a deal they wont get elsewhere and they will not leave, i actually prefer hiring people with a few years under their belt so they know the value of what i can offer them after they have been kicked to the ground on the last few go arounds

they end up loosing more patients in the long run when they keep seeing diff docs every six months to a year

Amen and they wonder why marketing budgets are high, online reviews are in the gutter bc its not like ppl remember then name of the doc disinterested in seeing them, rude staff bc they are constantly hiring to match the different doc personalities.

• Love
Was wondering if any other residents are concerned with the number of current cases and decrease in cases due to to COVID my area was hit very hard and its clear that many people would not want elective surgery at this time. Our clinic numbers are down as well as a surgical.numbers and there is concern of meeting graduation requirements

The ABPM wrote a letter to CPME recommending waiving all Minimum Activity Volumes (MAVs) for residents finishing in 2020-2022 due to the pandemic. The ABFAS opposed this position. Ultimately there was a reduction (not by much) of the MAVs for 2020 and anyone who couldn't meet those numbers would be taken on a case-by-case basis by CPME.

But, it is also the ABPM's opinion we should eliminate MAVs in favor of the milestone model followed by ACGME. The APMA Board of Trustees wrote a letter to CPME in 2019 supporting the same position.

CPME 320 is currently under revision and will be open for public comment soon. That is a good opportunity for you to make your opinion known to CPME directly.

Reactions: 2 users