RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tonight I am thankful for a vast network of vets I have connected with that are willing to help me out. Im a new grad who's basically solo 90% of the time. Usually my boss is always there for me at least by phone as much as he can be but he is going on a much needed vacation in the morning so he was probably sleeping. I had an emergency case I just needed to bounce ideas off of and he didnt pick up. Thankfully I had another vet to call who picked up. Just feeling the love tonight in a world that seems lonely sometimes since I'm not part of a giant practice. Also thoughts to my patient with a bad infection.🤞

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Tonight I am thankful for a vast network of vets I have connected with that are willing to help me out. Im a new grad who's basically solo 90% of the time. Usually my boss is always there for me at least by phone as much as he can be but he is going on a much needed vacation in the morning so he was probably sleeping. I had an emergency case I just needed to bounce ideas off of and he didnt pick up. Thankfully I had another vet to call who picked up. Just feeling the love tonight in a world that seems lonely sometimes since I'm not part of a giant practice. Also thoughts to my patient with a bad infection.🤞
If you'd like my number, let me know! I'm not 100% sure where you're at, but you're within my state I think 😅

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Youre too kind. Lol yes I'm in your state like 4hrs away and almost in KS though😂

Ps know of anyone who wants to come live in 10 buck 2 and practice with me 🙃
Not that I know of right now 😅

2 years ago I fostered a pair of cats that ended up being adopted by one of the large animal vets in the teaching hospital. This week I was on rotation with him and he showed me all of the pictures he has of them and told me about how well they were doing! They undoubtedly would've been foster fails if I had been able to adopt them, so knowing that they're doing great makes me so happy:cat:

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Struggled to get Baby Bats to take longer than a half hour nap all morning. Normally he hits a minimum of 1.5 hours per nap. Granted, he's not willing to sleep in a crib or cradle for naps yet. But at least I can read or play videogames with 1.5 hours.

Mr. Bats gets kiddo to sleep on his chest and after 20 minutes says, "I'm going to have him for a while, so if you need to work on something, do it now." I instantly change into my housework clothes and clean both bathrooms and laundry area, and finish painting the trim on the island of the kitchen and start the trim around the counters, pantry, and fridge. Kiddo is still asleep so now I can fold laundry and maybe work on a closet project that's been on the back burner for a week.

I adore Baby Bats and his cuddles. I very much so miss him when I leave for work (solidifying my conviction to give notice in 9 days 😶). But I got things to do!!!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Struggled to get Baby Bats to take longer than a half hour nap all morning. Normally he hits a minimum of 1.5 hours per nap. Granted, he's not willing to sleep in a crib or cradle for naps yet. But at least I can read or play videogames with 1.5 hours.

Mr. Bats gets kiddo to sleep on his chest and after 20 minutes says, "I'm going to have him for a while, so if you need to work on something, do it now." I instantly change into my housework clothes and clean both bathrooms and laundry area, and finish painting the trim on the island of the kitchen and start the trim around the counters, pantry, and fridge. Kiddo is still asleep so now I can fold laundry and maybe work on a closet project that's been on the back burner for a week.

I adore Baby Bats and his cuddles. I very much so miss him when I leave for work (solidifying my conviction to give notice in 9 days 😶). But I got things to do!!!
Yeah that’s one of the toughest things about having kids I’ve found - you literally have zero free time, unless it’s nap time. And then you feel obligated to meal prep, clean, do laundry, catch up, etc. Like I can’t even fathom what I did with myself before kids :laugh: Hope his naps get back on track soon. Pretty sure we hit every single sleep regression…

• Care
I finally applied for a job I really want today in public health. I’ve known about the vacancy since February and the department finally posted it (hiring freeze due to COVID). As usual, it’s probably not the right place or the right time (career-wise) but I don’t care. I told myself that I didn’t want to miss the opportunity to apply, even if it’s possible I won’t be the strongest candidate.

If anything, I meet the minimum requirements, I’m local, I’m looking for a longterm gig, and I can definitely start at a much lower hourly pay than the posted max and still be financially comfortable. I’ve also worked numerous jobs/internships within the department but also specifically with the program area the job is through and I believe that they have valued my contributions. So, I don’t know. I really want the job, but I’m also trying to give myself an emotional out if someone more qualified is waiting in the wings.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
I finally applied for a job I really want today in public health. I’ve known about the vacancy since February and the department finally posted it (hiring freeze due to COVID). As usual, it’s probably not the right place or the right time (career-wise) but I don’t care. I told myself that I didn’t want to miss the opportunity to apply, even if it’s possible I won’t be the strongest candidate.

If anything, I meet the minimum requirements, I’m local, I’m looking for a longterm gig, and I can definitely start at a much lower hourly pay than the posted max and still be financially comfortable. I’ve also worked numerous jobs/internships within the department but also specifically with the program area the job is through and I believe that they have valued my contributions. So, I don’t know. I really want the job, but I’m also trying to give myself an emotional out if someone more qualified is waiting in the wings.
I felt similarly when I applied for my current job (the field I had always intended to work in but didn’t right out of school). They did pick me! Never hurts to throw your hat in the ring.

I passed my preliminary board exam!!!! :soexcited: One more year (actually 10 months but who's counting?) and one more even bigger exam to go!!

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just here to say that if you want to leave your current job, but are scared to, just do it. Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side.

Signed a new mom that gets to spend more time with her baby, getting paid much better, and getting to do what I want full time

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 19 users
Just here to say that if you want to leave your current job, but are scared to, just do it. Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side.

Signed a new mom that gets to spend more time with her baby, getting paid much better, and getting to do what I want full time

1000% yes - I have yet to regret leaving either of my previous two jobs. Glad things are going well for you :)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Boss man emailed me yesterday after a meeting I'd led to talk about starting a clinical trial based on some of my thesis work, and he gave me very positive feedback and then said that I should be a professor (and added that he means that, lol), and he is never going to know how much that email means to me.

He's not one to hand out much positive reinforcement, so I cherish it when I get it. Especially since I'm almost done.

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
My endocrinology professor went out of his way to email me and compliment me on my performance in the class. This is the first time I’ve felt smart in a long time 😊

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
For backstory, I’m an emergency vet/ critical care resident. About two months ago, I saw a GSP on ER for constipation. Otherwise healthy. Just started having tenesmus that night, they had just switched his food and the owners decided to be safe and just bring him in. He’s a working dog who loves toys, so we took radiographs because I wanted to be safe, and I had a funny feeling something would be abnormal. Rads were sus but not definitive for colonic torsion. I convinced the handler to go to surgery. Basically said “if I’m wrong and we unnecessarily go to surgery, he’s out of work for 2 weeks, and that sucks. But if I’m right, and we don’t go to surgery, he will die.” He waffled for a couple moments and said “well we have to go to surgery.” It was, indeed, torsed, dog recovered well, and the handler was the upmost thankful.

Anyways, I ran into his handler at the large metropolitan airport this morning! I was walking to the security line, look at him and said “you work with [dog’s name], right?? How’s he doing? … Oh wait, sorry to bother you at work” (mind you, this man works with explosives detection dogs in a massive airport on the busiest travel day/days in the year). It took him a second to remember me and he then lit UP, started talking about him- he’s doing great, he’s back to normal, at work today.

I said “I’m so glad to hear that!” I then turn to get in the security line and he said “are you boarding here??” “I am!” “Here… anyone who saves my dog’s life doesn’t wait in this line” and he walked me past security, opening up different restricted doors, like the biggest VIP, telling everyone that I saved his dog’s life.

He took me to the head of security and said “get her to the front, whatever she needs, she saved my dog’s life”. I didn’t wait at all. It’s easily a 45 minute security line and I passed it all.

He then, about 15 minutes later, brought the pup to my gate because he wanted for him to see me and vice versa. I asked if he could pet and he said absolutely. So I was petting and playing with the explosives detection dog while wearing his vest and he’s squeaking his toy in the middle of the airport terminal. He couldn’t stop raving about me and the surgery resident who saved his dog’s life. He’s raising awareness for colonic torsion in all of the working dogs at the airport and all government agencies so that way they know what to recognize in their animals. It felt really, really good, in a soul filling way.

Moral of the story: always stick with your gut. A negative explore is better than a dead dog, and working dogs are truly the best around.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 40 users
For backstory, I’m an emergency vet/ critical care resident. About two months ago, I saw a GSP on ER for constipation. Otherwise healthy. Just started having tenesmus that night, they had just switched his food and the owners decided to be safe and just bring him in. He’s a working dog who loves toys, so we took radiographs because I wanted to be safe, and I had a funny feeling something would be abnormal. Rads were sus but not definitive for colonic torsion. I convinced the handler to go to surgery. Basically said “if I’m wrong and we unnecessarily go to surgery, he’s out of work for 2 weeks, and that sucks. But if I’m right, and we don’t go to surgery, he will die.” He waffled for a couple moments and said “well we have to go to surgery.” It was, indeed, torsed, dog recovered well, and the handler was the upmost thankful.

Anyways, I ran into his handler at the large metropolitan airport this morning! I was walking to the security line, look at him and said “you work with [dog’s name], right?? How’s he doing? … Oh wait, sorry to bother you at work” (mind you, this man works with explosives detection dogs in a massive airport on the busiest travel day/days in the year). It took him a second to remember me and he then lit UP, started talking about him- he’s doing great, he’s back to normal, at work today.

I said “I’m so glad to hear that!” I then turn to get in the security line and he said “are you boarding here??” “I am!” “Here… anyone who saves my dog’s life doesn’t wait in this line” and he walked me past security, opening up different restricted doors, like the biggest VIP, telling everyone that I saved his dog’s life.

He took me to the head of security and said “get her to the front, whatever she needs, she saved my dog’s life”. I didn’t wait at all. It’s easily a 45 minute security line and I passed it all.

He then, about 15 minutes later, brought the pup to my gate because he wanted for him to see me and vice versa. I asked if he could pet and he said absolutely. So I was petting and playing with the explosives detection dog while wearing his vest and he’s squeaking his toy in the middle of the airport terminal. He couldn’t stop raving about me and the surgery resident who saved his dog’s life. He’s raising awareness for colonic torsion in all of the working dogs at the airport and all government agencies so that way they know what to recognize in their animals. It felt really, really good, in a soul filling way.

Moral of the story: always stick with your gut. A negative explore is better than a dead dog, and working dogs are truly the best around.
This made me tear up!!! Definitely a "why we do this" moment 🥰

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
My boyfriend's allergy shots are working!! This means he gets to snuggle and enjoy our kittens now as much as I do. We finally let them have access to our entire apartment and it's been so cute watching them explore and find their new favorite cozy spots. It's very obvious that Lumo (the one we adopted to treat for FIP) has chosen me as his person and his sister Artemis (a foster) has chosen my boyfriend as hers. What's super cute are their favorite spots to sleep in - Lumo chose my desk chair (where I sit the most) and Artemis chose the kitchen table chair my boyfriend usually sits in. My boyfriend talks about wanting to keep Artemis, too... lol
I'm so happy though - both my childhood cat and the senior cat I adopted passed away ~1.5 years ago now, and I really wanted another cat but couldn't because of my boyfriend. Now these kittens get to really be a part of our family and I've turned my bf into a cat lover :)

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
My hubby and I are adding a new puppy next weekend - I'm flying out to bring him home. He's a co-own show prospect so we've been back and forth with the breeder about names as they have litter themes and show prospects need a call name that ties into their registered name - part of their request to have a show pup as they will advertise for them.

Got confirmation tonight that they approved our suggestion - a hard feat as I have a hang up on having very unique dog names. So we will officially be adding *kennel name here*'s Spirit of Performance. Call name Segg, and we will probably call him Seggi (rhymes with Ziggy) a whole lot. Bonus points to whoever can figure out the connection between the call name and the registered name - it's there, I promise haha

• Love
My hubby and I are adding a new puppy next weekend - I'm flying out to bring him home. He's a co-own show prospect so we've been back and forth with the breeder about names as they have litter themes and show prospects need a call name that ties into their registered name - part of their request to have a show pup as they will advertise for them.

Got confirmation tonight that they approved our suggestion - a hard feat as I have a hang up on having very unique dog names. So we will officially be adding *kennel name here*'s Spirit of Performance. Call name Segg, and we will probably call him Seggi (rhymes with Ziggy) a whole lot. Bonus points to whoever can figure out the connection between the call name and the registered name - it's there, I promise haha
Hello I request photos

Do you play Need For Speed?

My husband works overseas. I am handling his dog at a barn hunt trial today and she qualified in both run this morning. Wasn’t sure how she would work for me and I’m so thrilled! 😁

For those who wanted pictures:

received_879219886589557.jpeg

IMG_20221211_193112_01.jpg

He says flying is scary so we cuddled in the family bathroom for a bit because he is a LOUD baby

• Love
Reactions: 20 users

View attachment 363180
View attachment 363181
He says flying is scary so we cuddled in the family bathroom for a bit because he is a LOUD baby

Keeshond? I'm guessing keeshond but could be Eurasier too. I'm usually fairly decent with breeds but puppies can throw me off as some breeds change a lot from puppy hood.

Took care of my first bottle baby this weekend and did my first cat neuters!!

The neuters were completely successful, the bottle baby pup however I might've made constipated. 😬 She's with her long term foster now (who is a bottle baby expert) and I kept her alive when her odds weren't good so it's a win in my book.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Keeshond? I'm guessing keeshond but could be Eurasier too. I'm usually fairly decent with breeds but puppies can throw me off as some breeds change a lot from puppy hood.
That was my guess too but I thought SAR had all Malinois so I was confused why she had a tiny fluffy Mal :laugh:

• Haha

View attachment 363180
View attachment 363181

AHHHHHHHHH So adorable!!! <3 I lost my old Keeshond man in August (4 months tomorrow, he was my heart dog and such a perfect boy, it still hurts a lot). I adopted him as an adult from a rescue so I never knew what he looked like as a baby, but I can only imagine he looked something like this and was absolutely precious :love: Now I'm hoping to get a Eurasier some time in the future for similar floof and love factor. Enjoy your baby, Keeshonds are amazing 😊

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Last edited:
soooo much FLOOOF

I, too, am a pointy-eared-bitey-dog aficionado, mostly of the dutch variety. Kees may not be bitey, but they ARE both lively AND dutch, so
Ill Allow It Spanish GIF

Would you believe he bites more than my Mal did as a pup?

I should specify he bites HANDS more haha. My Mal was smart enough to pretty much figure out day 1 that biting toys is better. My kees... Not so much. And how the hell do you play with a puppy that neither tugs not chases?? Genius dog first problems hahaha

• Haha
Would you believe he bites more than my Mal did as a pup?

I should specify he bites HANDS more haha. My Mal was smart enough to pretty much figure out day 1 that biting toys is better. My kees... Not so much. And how the hell do you play with a puppy that neither tugs not chases?? Genius dog first problems hahaha
Congrats on the puppy! I started doing dog shows just over a year ago and it’s been fun! I’ve met lots of great people. And a few not so great haters but more great than bad. I hope y’all have fun with him!

If you’re into online dog training classes, the Fenzi Dog Sports Academy has a course basically on how to build play drive. I haven’t taken it but I know people who have. We take the Fenzi scentwork classes because I live in the middle of nowhere and can’t feasibly drive to in person classes, but the online format may be good for a resident schedule. They have classes in all sorts of stuff. The December term just started and I think it’s too late to sign up but it looks like they have several puppy and play classes starting in February. Online classes seemed weird at first but they use YouTube videos and a forum and written lectures and I’ve found it very effective.

Who in the world could hate on your adorable kiddo?!?!?
Jealous competition, lol. People are petty. It’s nothing you don’t see in any other competition community though. I skipped a show a couple weekends ago but my friend who I always crate and even room with at shows went without me. Rare breed shows are an even smaller community than regular dog shows so we consistently see the same small group of people at the shows rare breeds are allowed at. A lady with a small fluffy breed we often compete against for best in open (rare breed) show came up to my friend, told my friend that “your friend with the Fauve” (pointedly not using my name according to my friend) did well at a little local show over thanksgiving but then she told my friend I really needed to learn how to groom Henry appropriately and she knew what they were supposed to look like. She doesn’t have a wire hair breed or anything even close to Henry. I’ve asked a breeder in Europe and Henry’s breeder how to groom him and I do what they have shown me. I might be an amateur and I’m not saying he’s perfectly groomed but he looks decent. Next show I’m considering walking up to her and asking for her grooming tips I hear she has for me. I probably won’t because I avoid conflict but I think about it haha. But I’m definitely not going out of my way to help the hater lady or do more than a polite hello ever again.

• Care
  • Angry
Reactions: 3 users
Jealous competition, lol. People are petty. It’s nothing you don’t see in any other competition community though. I skipped a show a couple weekends ago but my friend who I always crate and even room with at shows went without me. Rare breed shows are an even smaller community than regular dog shows so we consistently see the same small group of people at the shows rare breeds are allowed at. A lady with a small fluffy breed we often compete against for best in open (rare breed) show came up to my friend, told my friend that “your friend with the Fauve” (pointedly not using my name according to my friend) did well at a little local show over thanksgiving but then she told my friend I really needed to learn how to groom Henry appropriately and she knew what they were supposed to look like. She doesn’t have a wire hair breed or anything even close to Henry. I’ve asked a breeder in Europe and Henry’s breeder how to groom him and I do what they have shown me. I might be an amateur and I’m not saying he’s perfectly groomed but he looks decent. Next show I’m considering walking up to her and asking for her grooming tips I hear she has for me. I probably won’t because I avoid conflict but I think about it haha. But I’m definitely not going out of my way to help the hater lady or do more than a polite hello ever again.
You definitely should, but don’t be petty about it. It really throws them off.