Public Town Hall on Board Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Setting up a zoom and having pronation ask the panel total toenail replacement sturgeon questions will be fun

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
drooling GIF

Why would I create a forum for you guys/gals to air your grievances when this is how you respond?

Seriously. Can you be professional?

Maybe just make more memes.

• Dislike
there will be a public Town Hall on podiatric board certification at the Gaylord Opryland in Nashville this Friday, July 14, from 7:30-9:30 PM in Jackson E/F Rooms. Beer and wine will be served. Sign up on this link

Why would I create a forum for you guys/gals to air your grievances when this is how you respond?

Seriously. Can you be professional?

I love this

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you attending the APMA Annual Scientific Meeting in Nashville this week? Come visit us at booth #307 in the Exhibit Hall. We’ll have staff on hand to answer your questions about the LEAD program, ABFAS exams, your ABFAS status, and the board certification process. 

ABFAS is also pleased to co-sponsor the Young Physicians’ Happy Hour on Friday, July 14, from 6:30 to 7:30 pm in Presidential Boardroom A (Mezzanine Level). All student, resident, and young physician attendees are welcome to attend, mix and mingle with the ABFAS Board of Directors, and have the chance to win awesome raffle prizes. 

If you're unable to join us in Nashville but still have questions, email us at [email protected] or call us at 415-553-7800. We are available to help, Monday – Friday, 7:00 am – 5:00 pm PT.

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure I understand the town hall, out of everyone there ABPM is the only legitimate one for podiatry. ABMSP is for old pods that never got ABFAS (or ABOPPM) and will gradually just die off as old pods do and ABLES (I feel) is just a scam.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not sure I understand the town hall, out of everyone there ABPM is the only legitimate one for podiatry. ABMSP is for old pods that never got ABFAS (or ABOPPM) and will gradually just die off as old pods do and ABLES (I feel) is just a scam.

Exactly. It’s an echo chamber meeting for the them to talk about things that won’t change anything since ABFAS won’t be there.

SDN gets labeled as an echo chamber I would say the profession of podiatry and it’s leadership are the same exact thing.

Reactions: 1 users
It is curious indeed.

ABPM (aka Dodgers) sent an email below that ABPM will attend the town hall event.
Wouldn't it be obvious they'd attend what they finance and organize??
Wait, it'd only be obvious if ABPM said they were organizing and paying for and promoting it... instead of hiding it near an APMA meeting pretening it's a neutral and official event...

abpm attending abpm event.jpg

"Tune in this weekend for the stunning conclusion." *

[*stunning conclusion spoiler: APMA did not sponsor the town hall, ABFAS does not attend, nothing is accomplished, ABPM/LCR used ABPM memberships' monies to try to make ABFAS look bad... again]

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I am not disparaging the alternate boards, but it makes no sense to discuss the FUTURE with them.

If it is right or wrong for ABFAS to behave how they are towards ABPM that is certainly up for debate. Countries often behave the same way when they are not getting along. Sometimes a country will refuse to have diplomatic relations until certain condition are meet. In this case it seems to be ABPM dropping the CAQ in surgery for ABFAS.

I personally think a more entertaining meeting would be a town hall meeting with ABPM, APMA and CPME discussing their opinions on the CAQ in surgery.

...If it is right or wrong for ABFAS to behave how they are towards ABPM that is certainly up for debate. ...
I don't think there is much to debate.

ABFAS/ABPS largely ignored ABPOPPM/ABPM for years. They would work together on residency standards and a few things. ABPOPPM/ABPM was always the alternate board. A few people held dual cert.

After the recent ABPM CAQ program (started by Rogers when he came to ABPM) and leading up to 2022 CAQ surgery (Rogers all the way) during his president term, things obviously became inflammatory. He attacked on social media and SDN and emails and elsewhere their ABFAS meeting locations, their test costs, their pass rates, headquarters, their "conflicts of interest,""discrimination," and 100 other things... and he attacked SDN, anything and everything. I don't blame the ABFAS bit for not wanting to deal with someone who is clearly out to play a slander game (such as this town hall setup for another try at "wah wah they didn't attend").

After Rogers leaves ABPM, I would think that ABFAS will be back to dealing with ABPM as they were before him. The problem with that is, ABPM didn't want to deal with him either. All of ABPM resigned en masse in spring of this year. Their board of directors and exec director and other staff abruptly walked out... so that's a whole other problem. We can't mistake this town hall charade and other "ABPM" actions last year and this year as being ABPM as a whole... it's basically one guy going rogue (and the outgoing board tried to remove him and then left him for continually attaching their org and individual names to the many circus events).

...In order for ABPM and ABFAS to have any sort of civil relationship, it'd first have to be defined who new/replace ABPM even is, who will actually get elected, what their plan is, and if ABPM will function fine or how well the new exams work, policies, relations, use of finances, etc turn out. It's nothing but a bunch of Rogers' appointees right now. Membership monies are being squandered on this "Town Hall" and other means to push an old grudge against ABFAS (ABPS back when Rogers could have passed cert). It's sad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
I personally think a more entertaining meeting would be a town hall meeting with ABPM, APMA and CPME discussing their opinions on the CAQ in surgery.

APMA and CPME have already voiced their concerns regarding ABPM/Rogers CAQ in surgery. Both organizations are against it. You can read their statements at the following links.

APMA and CPME have already voiced their concerns regarding ABPM/Rogers CAQ in surgery. Both organizations are against it. You can read their statements at the following links.

I remember when everyone was releasing statements. Maybe there would be nothing more to learn, but I though it might be interesting to see questions answered with all parties in the same room versus everyone just releasing statements.

Feli seems happy with the status quo. He is already certified by the “alternate board”, as he calls it. He’s received his numerous extensions from the non-alternate board.

Many others think the process can be improved.

We have one degree, one residency program, one license, but two boards; the haves and the have-nots. Two boards for the same residency creates the division and the ability for some in the profession to act on their anti-competition by creating unfair rules as gatekeeper of the OR.

ABPM’s general counsel, Keith Greer, addressed the APMA BOT on Wednesday. He’s been fighting discrimination against podiatrists for 30 years. He reported that about 10 years ago there was a major change. Now, rarely is the opponent an orthopedic surgeon, it’s another podiatrist.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Dr rogers nailed it. Once people get abfas certified they are pro abfas so they can hold other non abfas podiatrists down

Members don't see this ad :)
Feli seems happy with the status quo. He is already certified by the “alternate board”, as he calls it. He’s received his numerous extensions from the non-alternate board.

Many others think the process can be improved.

We have one degree, one residency program, one license, but two boards; the haves and the have-nots. Two boards for the same residency creates the division and the ability for some in the profession to act on their anti-competition by creating unfair rules as gatekeeper of the OR.

ABPM’s general counsel, Keith Greer, addressed the APMA BOT on Wednesday. He’s been fighting discrimination against podiatrists for 30 years. He reported that about 10 years ago there was a major change. Now, rarely is the opponent an orthopedic surgeon, it’s another podiatrist.
Once I got ABPM I no longer cared about the other board. I just want to make sure ABPM does implode... It would be nice to have one board though.

• Care
Dr rogers nailed it. Once people get abfas certified they are pro abfas so they can hold other non abfas podiatrists down
ABFAS podiatrists do not hold down other podiatrists. Podiatrists hold down other podiatrists due to greed and saturation. ABFAS is just a tool SOME used when they had input for credentialing and in some cases the intention may have been sincere (even if it might not have technically been legal) and many other times it might been largely self serving (which is hard to prove) to limit competition. Before residencies were standardized restricting or not allowing privileges based on type and length of residency was a more common way to do this.

So if we all have the same residency and same boards some day, great we can all get hospital privileges. It is not the 80s anymore. Yes in some areas not having ABFAS might still cause some problems here which is sad but true.

You still better be willing to open your own practice as there are not many good jobs. ABFAS does not move mountains for you when you open your own office versus having ABPM or hold the ABPM podiatrist down that opens their office.

Once you do open your own practice and have your privileges be prepared for other things. Some areas are wonderful and podiatrists are collegial with each other and in other cases they report each other to the boards and try to drive lawsuits if seeing unhappy patients from another podiatrist. In most cases this far extreme is the exception, but it really is the climate in some areas and they will not care if you are ABPM or ABFAS when acting this way.

Last edited:
Exactly. It’s an echo chamber meeting for the them to talk about things that won’t change anything since ABFAS won’t be there.

SDN gets labeled as an echo chamber I would say the profession of podiatry and it’s leadership are the same exact thing.

me on April 27: said:
Hopefully I'm not the only person who noticed that @diabeticfootdr has been awfully quiet since the APMSA stupidity began. Someone must have told him he's doing more harm than good.

Shame. While I disagreed strenuously on much of his positions, he kept this forum interesting. Even if his position on job market saturation is misguided, we're just an echo chamber without his counterpoints.

I take credit for introducing "echo chamber" into our vernacular, along with "lobster podiatry"

ABFAS podiatrists do not hold down other podiatrists. Podiatrists hold down other podiatrists due to greed and saturation. ABFAS is just a tool SOME used when they had input for credentialing and in some cases the intention may have been sincere (even if it might not have technically been legal) and many other times it might been largely self serving (which is hard to prove) to limit competition. Before residencies were standardized restricting or not allowing privileges based on type and length of residency was a more common way to do this.

So if we all have the same residency and same boards some day, great we can all get hospital privileges. It is not the 80s anymore. Yes in some areas not having ABFAS might still cause some problems here which is sad but true.

You still better be willing to open your own practice as there are not many good jobs. ABFAS does not move mountains for you when you open your own office versus having ABPM or hold the ABPM podiatrist down that opens their office.

Once you do open your own practice and have your privileges be prepared for other things. Some areas are wonderful and podiatrists are collegial with each other and in other cases they report each other to the boards and try to drive lawsuits if seeing unhappy patients from another podiatrist. In most cases this far extreme is the exception, but it really is the climate in some areas and they will not care if you are ABPM or ABFAS when acting this way.
Well said. I am still not willing to open a practice but hear, hear!

Bingo, all of this nonsense is simply a product of massive over saturation and desperation. Anything other than addressing the saturation directly is just noise.

• Care
Before this thread ends up getting locked, I would like to again point out that ABFAS has no one else to blame but themselves for the discontentment of young providers. The process is overly time consuming, expensive and with pass rates that are abhorrently low for such a career defining milestone. In my state, ABFAS is required for surgical privileges by the largest hospital system and many of the smaller ones. Depending on the geography, every new practitioner is playing a game of beat the clock to get certified or lose privileges. Additionally we have previously discussed how new pods may even be somewhat discouraged/punished for changing jobs due to the hassle of getting paperwork from previous providers. Bottom line, ABFAS is no friend to young docs. ABPM, is admittingly the less respected board, but it is at least trying to increase podiatry access to hospitals and offering to fight for its members.

I may strenuously disagree with Dr. Rogers on his general outlook for the profession (any prepod students reading this, get off this sinking ship!) but if he and ABPM can break the system that threatens to screw new docs over then more power to him/them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
My 2C:

I see potential advantages in CAQs for enhancing podiatrists' skills, expanding their practice scope, and opening up career opportunities. I don't find CAQs in Sports Medicine and CAQ-APWC particularly worrisome, but as I'm still early in my training, I'm uncertain about their necessity.

I share APMA's concern that CAQ-Surgery may result in confusion regarding hospital and patient care as it closely aligns with ABFAS and its surgical focus. I hope the town hall can address these concerns leading to decisions that benefit the future of podiatry.

My 2C:

I see potential advantages in CAQs for enhancing podiatrists' skills, expanding their practice scope, and opening up career opportunities.
lol. No sorry it does not work like that. You are far too young, my padawan.

This is accurate

This was my plan all along and now that I am certified it has been implemented.

• Haha
I take credit for introducing "echo chamber" into our vernacular, along with "lobster podiatry"
I don't think the echo chamber thing works, that is a common phrase used throughout society. Lobster podiatry is your legacy. You should be proud, you have earned it.

ABFAS is too hard tbh. Make the case review more lax without nitpicking for personal preference and all this infighting goes away. If all of us rather than half of us were ABFAS cert we would be happy and could move on.

Until a rework happens and the percentage of podiatrists who pass board certification increases there will only be more and more new podiatrists fed up with ABFAS each year. The majority of new grads just want hospital privileges and to be on insurances so we can keep working our crappy jobs and pay off our student loans. We don’t have the time to be doing massive recons we shouldn’t be doing on patients that would have a need for a critical BC approval process.

The gatekeeper for who should and shouldn’t operate should be the state board and the hospitals, not ABFAS. Just my opinion.

We have so many hoops we already have to jump through (undergrad, mcat, pod school, residency, 3 board exams, 300-400k debt, state and dea licensing) just to make 100k a year lol

Last edited:
  • Dislike
ABFAS is too hard tbh. Make the case review more lax without nitpicking for personal preference and all this infighting goes away. If all of us rather than half of us were ABFAS cert we would be happy and could move on.

Until a rework happens and the percentage of podiatrists who pass board certification increases there will only be more and more new podiatrists fed up with ABFAS each year. The majority of new grads just want hospital privileges and to be on insurances so we can keep working our crappy jobs and pay off our student loans. We don’t have the time to be doing massive recons we shouldn’t be doing on patients that would have a need for a critical BC approval process.

The gatekeeper for who should and shouldn’t operate should be the state board and the hospitals, not ABFAS. Just my opinion.

We have so many hoops we already have to jump through (undergrad, mcat, pod school, residency, 3 board exams, 300-400k debt, state and dea licensing) just to make 100k a year lol

I’ve passed every single board exam podiatry has thrown at me from school and now as an attending on the first time. It’s not hard. Nothing is hard in podiatry.

People lose points because they switch jobs too frequently and can not get the required documentation or their documentation is complete crap. You are already screwed if you can’t even check all the required documentation boxes.

People should know the rules for passing ABFAS and take some responsibility. As soon as you graduate residency you should learn what the process is and plan accordingly. Problem is people don’t and then they cry. Take some responsibility for your career.

Podiatry is not hard. It’s not stressful. If you get burned out it is not due to the volume of work or complexity because this is not complex.

Podiatrists get burned out because their lives suck due to crappy job prospects, stress over poor ROI and they are currently getting fisted by their private practice owner.

Please stop this narrative that ABFAS is too hard. Their are a ton of idiots who managed to get board certified by ABFAS.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
...People lose points because they switch jobs too frequently and can not get the required documentation or their documentation is complete crap. You are already screwed if you can’t even check all the required documentation boxes.

...Podiatrists get burned out because their lives suck due to crappy job prospects, stress over poor ROI and they are currently getting fisted by their private practice owner.

Please stop this narrative that ABFAS is too hard. Their are a ton of idiots who managed to get board certified by ABFAS.
This is exactly right^

ABFAS is fair. The podiatry school selectivity and DPM job saturation is the much bigger detriment...
A big reason people don't pass written ABFAS (didactic / CBPS) is because schools take anyone and many residencies are inadequate.
A big reason they can't get cases info or pass case review ABFAS is because of DPM saturation (not enough cases, job hop due to so many bad jobs).

ABFAS is too hard tbh....

...Until a rework happens and the percentage of podiatrists who pass board certification increases there will only be more and more new podiatrists fed up with ABFAS each year. ...
Lowering the bar is not the answer. That makes us all look bad. (I say this as someone not yet ABFAS cert, failed case review last year)

If residencies all want to be 3 year surgical, then people need to know that information and be competent.
Personally, I think we'd have been better off with the dent model (all generalists, a smaller % are surgical but they are highly competent/busy at surgery). That's neither here nor there.

If podiatry schools keep taking anyone and CPME won't close/reduce joke residencies, board pass rates will struggle. If the pod schools were responsible and had less schools/seats, there would be fewer and better residencies (see MD schools), and board pass takes care of itself... as do job market issues. That won't happen. Greed is greedy.

Feli seems happy with the status quo. He is already certified by the “alternate board”, as he calls it. He’s received his numerous extensions from the non-alternate board...
Lol. If "numerous extensions" means one renew of my ABFAS BQ as the policy from my grad date allows (by passing the new CBPS and the didactic exams again), then yes. Guilty as charged. Hundreds of people did the same. We all play the rules and hand we are dealt.

I am not a part of ABPM anymore.
Of course I passed the tests and was certified... everyone passes.
I want nothing to do with such a currently broken and rinky-dink organization that had so much 2022-23 conflict both external and internally that their elected board, exam writers and chairs, exec director, and many staff walked out in April 2023. You should definitely remember this refund/suspend request as you'd answered my membership emails yourself (since the exec director had left and ABPM's membership secretary had likely quit ABPM also?). :)

Last edited:
I’ve passed every single board exam podiatry has thrown at me from school and now as an attending on the first time. It’s not hard. Nothing is hard in podiatry.

People lose points because they switch jobs too frequently and can not get the required documentation or their documentation is complete crap. You are already screwed if you can’t even check all the required documentation boxes.

People should know the rules for passing ABFAS and take some responsibility. As soon as you graduate residency you should learn what the process is and plan accordingly. Problem is people don’t and then they cry. Take some responsibility for your career.

Podiatry is not hard. It’s not stressful. If you get burned out it is not due to the volume of work or complexity because this is not complex.

Podiatrists get burned out because their lives suck due to crappy job prospects, stress over poor ROI and they are currently getting fisted by their private practice owner.

This is an accurate post.

Gotta understand their documentation rules.

Right at graduation study their website/instructions and document accordingly.

The only thing unfair is DPMs do get shafted and have to move around a lot early in their career.

I know some absolute dumb dumbs who are ABFAS cert. If they can do it anyone can..

Hoops to jump through is all it is. But the rewards are worth it. Jobs are there for people with ABFAS and especially RRA.

...The only thing unfair is DPMs do get shafted and have to move around a lot early in their career. ....
100% ....

It is not ABFAS' fault that DPMs make much less per RVU than MD surgeons do. That's a function of saturation.
It's not their fault that many podiatry PP jobs can revolving door associates and underpay them, withhold partnership.
They are not in charge of tuition rates or bank lending to DPMs or the fact that many areas are saturated with other PPs already.
It's not their fault may DPMs - young and old - are crushed by the saturation and resulting low pay / low quality / few location choices.
Poverty demoralizes. A person in debt is so far a slave. Those are not a board's fault, though.

Good points. I posted with emotion rather than logic.

Looking like a dummy now smh

Man I can't wait until ABFAS dies off as an organization so all this can end. It's really embarrassing as a profession seeing people actively try to pursue ABFAS in 2023. You are better off throwing your money in the fireplace and heating your house

Man I can't wait until ABFAS dies off as an organization so all this can end. It's really embarrassing as a profession seeing people actively try to pursue ABFAS in 2023. You are better off throwing your money in the fireplace and heating your house
But it’ll help you get a hospital/MSG gig!!! Blasphemy. 😜

Really? All the boards are terrible. ABFAS is by far the most legitimate in terms of testing knowledge and experience. I've never met someone who did not pass the ABPM board exam.

Despite all the ABFAS bravado - ABFAS will fold on some of these issues in 7-10 years when when they start experiencing a revenue crunch due to the crashing matriculation. Their model is based on 500 people chugging away away on their exams and paying dues for 5-7 years only to keep maybe 50% of them or less. Whatever its integrity, its a losing business model since you get people to pay dues for a finite period while ABPM gets the leftovers to pay dues and enormous MOC (ugh) for the rest of their career. They'll do it slowly to save face - a defined time period for drawing cases for foot so people can present their best most recent work. Perhaps a final paid "pooled" review of cases so that passing cases from multiple submissions are brought together. And then finally a decrease in standards. All of the boards will suffer, but it won't take hiring a consultant to figure out that the harder the process is the less revenue there is for ABFAS. As already noted, everyone passes ABPM which means their business model isn't based on making money from repeated testing.

Really? All the boards are terrible. ABFAS is by far the most legitimate in terms of testing knowledge and experience. I've never met someone who did not pass the ABPM board exam.
Yes really. ABFAS is by far the worst exam in terms of testing knowledge and experience. If you consider asking questions about pixelated x-rays and bunion procedures from the 1970's "legitimate testing about knowledge and experience", then I have a bridge to sell you

Yes really. ABFAS is by far the worst exam in terms of testing knowledge and experience. If you consider asking questions about pixelated x-rays and bunion procedures from the 1970's "legitimate testing about knowledge and experience", then I have a bridge to sell you

I know that if you suck at surgery and your crappy case gets picked for ABFAS and you fail the exam then you most likely suck at surgery.

If you take the ABPM exam which you pass since they don’t fail anyone and you get a CAQ in surgery nobody would know you suck ay surgery.

Sorry I have a problem with this.

I know that if you suck at surgery and your crappy case gets picked for ABFAS and you fail the exam then you most likely suck at surgery.

If you take the ABPM exam which you pass since they don’t fail anyone and you get a CAQ in surgery nobody would know you suck ay surgery.

Sorry I have a problem with this.

Now let’s say you do suck at surgery and fail ABFAS.

Does that mean you shouldn’t be allowed to see patients in a nonoperative clinic on insurances that require ABFAS?

Or for those that keep hospital privileges for I&Ds and toe amps - just because they can’t do a triple correctly or a lapidus is it right that they’re barred from doing simple operative procedures?

Now let’s say you do suck at surgery and fail ABFAS.

Does that mean you shouldn’t be allowed to see patients in a nonoperative clinic on insurances that require ABFAS?

Or for those that keep hospital privileges for I&Ds and toe amps - just because they can’t do a triple correctly or a lapidus is it right that they’re barred from doing simple operative procedures?

If you can’t do basic foot elective surgery you have no business doing limb salvage and attempting to salvage complicated infections in complicated patients. NONE.

If you can’t do basic foot elective surgery you have no business doing limb salvage and attempting to salvage complicated infections in complicated patients. NONE.
Just like every first year in residency right.

I’ve worked with many doctors who are fantastic with limb salvage and not good with elective procedures to be honest.

We are talking toe amps and abscesses not ex fixes

Last edited:

I’ve worked with many doctors who are fantastic with limb salvage and not good with elective procedures to be honest.

Doubt

• Okay...

I’ve seen plenty of DPMs mis manage infections due to not being aggressive enough, poor soft tissue handling, poor decisions (like closing a previously acutely infected wound), etc

... on insurances that require ABFAS? ...
This is a myth.
You will see that if you ever do your own credentialing (PP owner, only DPM in a MSG, help out office/hosp cred process, etc).

Most insurances just need state license, diplomas, etc. A few insurances will be easier/faster if you are "board certified" (they don't really get BQ), but that could be ABPM, ABMSP, one you found in a cracker jack box, whatever.
Some insurances are capped for our specialty (or other ones) no matter what certs or qual you may hold.
Example: I am on every insurance in my area (and was in past areas/states)... all without ABFAS cert.

...ABFAS BQ/BC is useful for hosp privi at many places. For insurances, any cert will do; most don't need any at all.

• Care
Status
Not open for further replies.