Professional Opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freesolo

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas I'd like your opinion on this really quick, For some reason my teeth are yellow, and the only thing i can think of is that my orthodontist tightened my retainer after i asked him if could do more to close the split in my teeth.
Will not wearing my retainer help it go back to normal? Oh and those two silver things on the bottom are like a permanent retainer like my orthodontist called it.

untitled9ov.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just teasing you...I remember this from another thread.

Sorry I have nothing constructive to offer.

Any trauma to them, or the teeth you had as a kid in front? Ever fall and smack your front teeth?

no not really, and if i did why would my teeth turn yellow now? There were white like 4 months ago

Why are the 2 middle ones so yellow?

I was going to ask why all those teeth around the big ones in front are so white?

What does your Orthodontist have to say? Also, not wearing your upper retainer will, over time, make all your upper teeth go back to the same state they were in before you had braces so I would rethink that if I were you. Seriously, just go see your Orthodontist. Tell him/her it's an emergency.

flat4 said:
Tell him/her it's an emergency.
This is hardly an emergency. Crying wolf will just piss off the orthodontist.

I agree that this is not a true emergency (especially for you OS guys) but at the same time, I don't necessarily consider it "crying wolf". I think in the Orthodontic scheme of things where everything is very esthetics-oriented, this could be considered an emergency. I realize he's not in pain but I think it's serious enough (especially if the Orthodontist had any hand in this) that it constitutes not having to wait months before he's seen. But that's just my opinion. I guess my true question is why this guys waited so long to see somebody if he's so concerned with it.

lol ive never touched a smoke, i called my orthodontist told him i wanted a new retainer hopefully it will fix it =/. I just hope this aint permanent

thats a pretty common situation occuring due to ortho treatment....because of internal devitalization of the pulp due to excessive force on the teeth; i would want to know if the teeth are still alive by a vitality test and if they are you are lucky! to correct them you can either go for a bleaching (honestly, it takes time and doesent give predictable and exact results) or better go for the no prep veneers which will correct it permanently and will close up your diastema!
also, for the benefit of this forum, please direct such questions to the dental thread where in fact you can get more opinions....good luck;

i suggest pulling the big two ones in front out, cuz there making the others look really bad....

Dr. predent

simpledoc said:
thats a pretty common situation occuring due to ortho treatment....because of internal devitalization of the pulp due to excessive force on the teeth; i would want to know if the teeth are still alive by a vitality test and if they are you are lucky! to correct them you can either go for a bleaching (honestly, it takes time and doesent give predictable and exact results) or better go for the no prep veneers which will correct it permanently and will close up your diastema!
also, for the benefit of this forum, please direct such questions to the dental thread where in fact you can get more opinions....good luck;

Hi,
Are devitalized teeth yellow? I know necrotic teeth are typically grey. Those that underwent calcific metamorphosis are yellow/brown. And those suffering hemorrhage are red. I'd suspect the teeth are still vital but went through excess calcification. I don't know if this can happen from ortho, but it seems plausible.

Abe said:
dr. hobie whats the treatment for calcification?

Calcification is a natural response to trauma, both minor and major. You essentially get more dentin (the hard substance that makes up the bulk of your tooth) forming on the inside of the tooth, thereby decreasing the size of the pulp chamber, which is where the blood vessels and nerves lie. The increased deposition of dentin changes the optical quality of the tooth, causing it to appear more yellow. It is irreversible so treatment would consist of cosmetically masking it. A veneer would probably be an option.

Keep in mind, I am a 3rd year dental student and your best advice would come from a licensed dentist.

UNLV OMS WANABE said:
Ok, you win. I guess I should pay attention in endo.

Hehehe. Yeah, I picked that up in last quarter's endo class. Sometimes I don't know if they're using terminology they made up that day or if it's been around for the past 20 years.