Professional Liability Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the2thdoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have decided to change liability insurance companies and have received a quote for Hartford from an insurance broker.

Does anyone have any information to share about Hartford? Which insurance companies do you recommend and which ones should I avoid?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I have decided to change liability insurance companies and have received a quote for Hartford from an insurance broker.

Does anyone have any information to share about Hartford? Which insurance companies do you recommend and which ones should I avoid?

Thank you.
I see you live in California, why not go TDIC?

Get an occurrence policy. Get a quote from dentist advantage.

Claims made policies (which I’ve had) don’t really offer much coverage if you think about it (you could have 2 claims during the same policy period where treatment was competed during a prior policy period). They can also drop you and make tail coverage very expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
TDIC is good, but I think they only offer claims made.
Can you tell me what claims made means and why I need more than that? I should know this, but honestly didn't do that much research after graduating dental school and going straight to working.

Reactions: 1 users
“Occurrence” basically means you are covered for malpractice for any treatment you rendered at any particular place that has “occurrence” coverage. Forever.

“Claims made” means you are not covered for any treatment you rendered at any particular place, so you need to buy “tail coverage” if you leave. This coverage needs to last longer than the statute of limitations for that state ( in the USA).

In Minnesota, you can be sued for “malpractice” up to 4 years (ufffda) after the discovery of malpractice.

“Occurrence” is better.

I know of no coverage outside of a big institution that is not claims made.

Nor would I work for any institution that did not provide occurrence coverage

Reactions: 1 user
In Florida you can only be sued for "malpractice" up to 2 years.