Potential update to Chapter 31 regarding In-State status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esob

Article 14
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still parsing this information out, but I was unaware this existed until yesterday. Apparently, a memo came down as part of the veterans transition and benefits act of 2018 that requires schools receiving Chapter 30/31 payments to extend in-state tuition rates to veterans enrolled via those programs in order to remain eligible for payments from the VA. This opens up a huge list of schools that might otherwise not be feasible to attend under the varying levels or required approval (ie, 25K annually for VRC approval, 50K annually for VR&E officer approval, etc).

I know when I was going through the process I excluded a lot of schools from my potential application list due to the concern that the OOS tuition rates would need to be approved by the VR&E officer or (worse) the regional director (which is extremely difficult). Under this provision, however, I think the vast majority of schools will be low enough to not require approval by the regional director and many schools would be low enough to be approved solely by the VRC.

If anyone has additional about this, feel free to chime in. I'm trying to get a copy of the actual memo in the meantime.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As this memo comes to light, additional changes are being proposed on changing the work load of the Chapter 31 entry job entitlements. By 2021, the appeal process is proposed to take even longer due to cutting out the VCR-middle-man-counselor and solely relying on the homework of the veteran to complete additional steps. As a turn of events however, acceptances and/or denials will be coming in more quickly (proposed to be quicker anyway) AND to be coupled with veterans automatically getting in-state status when going through the program.

This was on my military.com news feed so I'll have to do some digging again to see what exactly is being proposed rather than seeing what happens in 18 months time...

Reactions: 1 users