Pictures of the Week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cervical block vertebrae as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMG_4320.jpeg

It’s Mounjaro for the spine.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Young grasshopper
After how many pts does one become seasoned enough to comment? Of course I'd inject this, and if this lady shows up on time and doesn't cuss out my phone service I'll probably offer her procedural based pain management but look at all that fat.

She won't get better with anything I do.

After how many pts does one become seasoned enough to comment? Of course I'd inject this, and if this lady shows up on time and doesn't cuss out my phone service I'll probably offer her procedural based pain management but look at all that fat.

She will not. L2-S1 fusion will make her worse.
RFA, ESI will fail. SCS will get her 1 year of relief then fail.
Mounjaro might be best injection for this patient.

She will not. L2-S1 fusion will make her worse.
RFA, ESI will fail. SCS will get her 1 year of relief then fail.
Mounjaro might be best injection for this patient.
Entire point of my post.

No potential for salvage.

Multilevel disk collapse with pan lumbar stenosis. She's 5'3" and 300 lbs (taxes ought not to pay for your bag of fudge rounds)...

I'll listen to her and give her the 3 min she wants to vent about her shortcomings in life, then I'll offer a few shots and in the end nothing will change and she will not benefit from seeing me.

She called 20 min late today and was en route. Yelled at my call service. I refused to see her.

We rescheduled her and she has one more chance or she's fired.

Reactions: 2 users

Ahhh I misunderstood your post. I thought you were concerned about the degree of stenosis. My eyes went straight to the spine. I didn’t even look at all her back fat. This is where seeing the patient and the entire clinical picture helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Entire point of my post.

No potential for salvage.

Multilevel disk collapse with pan lumbar stenosis. She's 5'3" and 300 lbs (taxes ought not to pay for your bag of fudge rounds)...

I'll listen to her and give her the 3 min she wants to vent about her shortcomings in life, then I'll offer a few shots and in the end nothing will change and she will not benefit from seeing me.

She called 20 min late today and was en route. Yelled at my call service. I refused to see her.

We rescheduled her and she has one more chance or she's fired.
i guess you dont see these patients often enough...

this is like 20% of my patient population.

fwiw, she has some degree of scoliosis, so the stenosis is probably not as bad as visualized on the one sagittal.

how you can help make her better -
1. try one epidural. use a 7 inch needle. i have a bunch in stock, if you need them.
2. discuss weight loss
3. refer her to bariatrics. even if she loses 20 pounds with mounjaro, she wont get markedly better.
4. tell her that she can make changes if she chooses to, but it is hard work. she is the one that can make herself better.

i guess you dont see these patients often enough...

this is like 20% of my patient population.

fwiw, she has some degree of scoliosis, so the stenosis is probably not as bad as visualized on the one sagittal.

how you can help make her better -
1. try one epidural. use a 7 inch needle. i have a bunch in stock, if you need them.
2. discuss weight loss
3. refer her to bariatrics. even if she loses 20 pounds with mounjaro, she wont get markedly better.
4. tell her that she can make changes if she chooses to, but it is hard work. she is the one that can make herself better.
Scoliosis is minimal despite the way it appears on that saggital view. If she shows up on time I'll see her. I refused to see her Friday bc she was way too late AND was rude to our phone ppl.

I think we all see these ppl frequently enough. It won't go well.

Doesn't mean I won't try.

This one's brutal...That's the best axial I can do.

Hx breast cancer. Severe back and leg pain.

1701711160977.png

1701711194919.png

1701711243377.png

1701711332437.png

Going to university cancer center.

Here are two doozies. One patient better with PT and refusing to see the surgeon. Other patient can barely walk and previous doc chalked it up to issue prior to lumbar lami. Fortunately got her in with another surgeon who’s gonna operate

Attachments

• IMG_2623.jpeg
    IMG_2623.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2622.jpeg
    IMG_2622.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 73
Here are two doozies. One patient better with PT and refusing to see the surgeon. Other patient can barely walk and previous doc chalked it up to issue prior to lumbar lami. Fortunately got her in with another surgeon who’s gonna operate
C2-6 ACDF vs ACDF then Posterior cleanup. For both.
Surgeon: Try an epidural.
Us: Nopes.

hip.jpg

This was a bummer, sent for back pain and referral to try mbb. Had seen surgeon who was hoping RFA would help. Known Cancer, no mets to spine. He mentioned new leg length discrepancy.........

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
IMG_9817.jpeg

Nails on chalkboard

(Season 1 Jack Ryan and apparently he has the spine of a 55 yo female)

the show was pretty good. at least season 1 was. season 2 meh, season 3 decent. havent watched season 4 yet.

the best thing about putin and the invasion of ukraine is that we now have a legitimate enemy for spy novels and movies. it just wasnt the same when the middle easterners were the bad guys in the 2000s and 2010s

Saw this today. 27 yr old man. Does manual labor. Has left L5 radicular pain.
MRI report states they think the cyst arises from the disc.

My first step is clear, a left L4-L5, L5-S1 TFESI. The next step is less clear. I had a mental debate about trying the rupture the cyst with a transforaminal approach and using discogram protocosl (IV abx and double needle) .

Or I could send him straight surgery if he fails the TFESI, I suppose.
IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

My first step is clear, a left L4-L5, L5-S1 TFESI. The next step is less clear. I had a mental debate about trying the rupture the cyst with a transforaminal approach and using discogram protocosl (IV abx and double needle) .

View attachment 381214
View attachment 381215
Interesting. Not sure that's not a facet cyst. Looks like a small one coming off the right posterior facet. Never seen a disc cyst

View attachment 381214
View attachment 381215
I’d try the TFESI then send to surgery. Not worth trying to be a hero over, especially for something they can probably deal with permanently through a 1” incision. Have never heard of a disc cyst. Perineal cyst maybe.

im also not sure it is a facet cyst.

would agree with TF and refer to surgery, but wouldnt try to be a cowboy. even if you ruptured it, what are the odds that that will solve the issue?

i have seen disc cysts. but they are much smaller.

you could try to aspirate the cyst via a facet approach -- as it is most likely a facet cyst. but, that may not get paid, and you would have to do it on a separate visit from the TFESI.

i like to do a TFESI AND facet aspiration/injection at the same time but that is getting harder and harder to get covered.

i have seen disc cysts. but they are much smaller.

you could try to aspirate the cyst via a facet approach -- as it is most likely a facet cyst. but, that may not get paid, and you would have to do it on a separate visit from the TFESI.

i like to do a TFESI AND facet aspiration/injection at the same time but that is getting harder and harder to get covered.
I’d do this, too. Would be interested if contrast in facet showed this filling.

I vote discal cyst. Rare, but it’s been described. Personally, I would try TFESI and send to surgery over attempted rupture if no relief.