Pictures of the Week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Juuuust a bit outside

Charlie Sheen Baseball GIF by Comedy Central
the quote should be "better teach this kid some control before he kills somebody"

could apply to the surgeon as well.....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice patient with small but painful central-paramedian thoracic disc, and thoracic radiculopathy. Failed conservative care.

Did an TESI with depo but did nothing as her disc is almost midline and a thoracic ILESI will not spread that far ventral . Then I did a thoracic TFESI with dex, which gave her 90% relief for 6 days and then all her pain returned.
So today, I did a TESI with cath and as you can see I essentially gave her a thoracic TFESI but with depomedrol. There is excellent spread along her thoracic nerve root and excellent thoracic anterior epidural spread of depomedrol! I'm looking forward to her next follow-up.

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Nice patient with small but painful central-paramedian thoracic disc, and thoracic radiculopathy. Failed conservative care.

Did an TESI with depo but did nothing as her disc is almost midline and a thoracic ILESI will not spread that far ventral . Then I did a thoracic TFESI with dex, which gave her 90% relief for 6 days and then all her pain returned.
So today, I did a TESI with cath and as you can see I essentially gave her a thoracic TFESI but with depomedrol. There is excellent spread along her thoracic nerve root and excellent thoracic anterior epidural spread of depomedrol! I'm looking forward to her next follow-up.

View attachment 377287

View attachment 377288
Bet she gets 3+ months. Depo for the win again. It just works better

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
75 yo complains of left sided low back pain after a fall. Pain goes down to posterior thigh just above the knee. Mild left hip flexion weakness limited by pain, other muscle 5/5. No sensation change. Lumbar MRI did not show much. A hip/pelvis MRI down showed non displaced left femur neck fracture. Ortho recommend conservative treatment. Looking at the imaging, what to make of the hyper intensity of the right SIJ. Report only mention gluteal fatty infiltration and saying SIJ intact? Next step ?
IMG_5209.jpg

95 yo F on chronic Norco 7.5 BID. Back is terrible. Actually was run over by a car in a scooter at a grocery store a year ago. Maybe 3-4 weeks ago fell and landed on her left knee.

She never stands up anyways other than to transfer. She can transfer on this knee. I recommended a basic support brace and we're leaving it alone.

Pretty sure she's got a tibial plateau fracture.

1000018044.jpg
1000018040.jpg
1000018043.jpg

95 yo F on chronic Norco 7.5 BID. Back is terrible. Actually was run over by a car in a scooter at a grocery store a year ago. Maybe 3-4 weeks ago fell and landed on her left knee.

She never stands up anyways other than to transfer. She can transfer on this knee. I recommended a basic support brace and we're leaving it alone.

Pretty sure she's got a tibial plateau fracture.

View attachment 377639View attachment 377640View attachment 377641
Yeah, i see it. Sturdy hinged brace for transfers. Should heal, actually

40 yo Hispanic M in an MVC with an MRI report that reads multi level HNP. No stenosis of course.

An outside NP did bilateral C5-7 MBB with PRP x 2. These failed of course. Interestingly, they originally scheduled for PRP in the elbow (the wreck caused epicondylitis apparently), but the pt showed up and got an MBB at C5-7 with the PRP. They then offered an ESI which never took place, and then surgery.

Yall want yalls mom getting bilateral C5-7 MBB with PRP? Which PRP you may ask? Leukocyte poor? Rich? I don't F'ing know...Prob the NP didn't either!

Gets better - The NP who did it...On LinkedIn he completed an American Academy of Procedural Medicine course in Jan '23. I go to the AAOPM page. Ever seen that BS? There are 1-3 days courses for a few thousand each.

Hilarious - The MD who did the first PRP MB "block" is a medical director and claims reviewer for an insurance company. So, he's doing absurd BS in his clinic while preventing others from getting MRIs and doing visco and ****...

1000018371.jpg

1000018372.jpg

Last edited:
  • Angry
40 yo Hispanic M in an MVC with an MRI report that reads multi level HNP. No stenosis of course.

An outside NP did bilateral C5-7 MBB with PRP x 2. These failed of course. Interestingly, they originally scheduled for PRP in the elbow (the wreck caused epicondylitis apparently), but the pt showed up and got an MBB at C5-7 with the PRP. They then offered an ESI which never took place, and then surgery.

Yall want yalls mom getting bilateral C5-7 MBB with PRP? Which PRP you may ask? Leukocyte poor? Rich? I don't F'ing know...Prob the NP didn't either!

Gets better - The NP who did it...On LinkedIn he completed an American Academy of Procedural Medicine course in Jan '23. I go to the AAOPM page. Ever seen that BS? There are 1-3 days courses for a few thousand each.

Hilarious - The MD who did the first PRP MB "block" is a medical director and claims reviewer for an insurance company. So, he's doing absurd BS in his clinic while preventing others from getting MRIs and doing visco and ****...

View attachment 377768

View attachment 377769
Meet the D of the Week:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am competent to rear MRI of spine. Part of the job. I would have missed a Fx here and glad the Radiologist did not.

T2 : Meh

T2.jpg

T1: L3 and L5

T1.jpg

STIR: L3 and L5

STIR.jpg

T1 Fatsat: L3 and L5, and look at you L4, hiding like that.
T1FS.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
34 year old, 4 years atraumatic low back pain with some right L5 distribution radicular pain that began after doing some deadlifts. No other trauma or surgical history.

Attachments

• image(8).png
    image(8).png
    436.1 KB · Views: 96
  • image(7).png
    image(7).png
    674.6 KB · Views: 97
34 year old, 4 years atraumatic low back pain with some right L5 distribution radicular pain that began after doing some deadlifts. No other trauma or surgical history.
Atraumatic and deadlifting don't go together until your form is perfect, and even then it seems like a bad idea.

"While performing 75 to 100% of individual 1RM, maximum compressive spinal forces can reach 18 kN among men and 8 kN among women, and maximum shearing spinal forces can reach 3 kN among men and 2 kN among women. These values are concerning given reported injury thresholds for the lumbar spine segments that range between 5 – 10 kN and 1 – 2 kN, for compressive and shearing forces, respectively."

View attachment 378294View attachment 378295View attachment 378296
give the guy a break. he's got other things to worry about right now. check out the proximity.....

also, im not sure how insurance auth works for SCS in israel. it is a 2 tiered system, so the folks with $$$ can pay for separate insurance. either way, this is not kosher

Atraumatic and deadlifting don't go together until your form is perfect, and even then it seems like a bad idea.

"While performing 75 to 100% of individual 1RM, maximum compressive spinal forces can reach 18 kN among men and 8 kN among women, and maximum shearing spinal forces can reach 3 kN among men and 2 kN among women. These values are concerning given reported injury thresholds for the lumbar spine segments that range between 5 – 10 kN and 1 – 2 kN, for compressive and shearing forces, respectively."
Fascinating. I've never seen a laminar fracture like this before -- usually I think about them as high impact trauma injuries. That article does give some insight though.

Yall be careful with those higher level cervical TFESI...

1698246956440.png

Ego lifting is dangerous. See 1-2 per week of bro-science lifters with acute discs.

Appropriate form and weightlifting is fine. If you cannot control the bar path you shouldn't be lifting the weight.
Shouldn't be doing much 85%+ lifting in a well designed program anyway.

View attachment 377768

View attachment 377769
Jeez! How common is it for NPs to do spine procedures much less cervical epidurals?

Jeez! How common is it for NPs to do spine procedures much less cervical epidurals?
Pretty common. When I was interviewing for PAs a yr or two ago I had a 4'10" PA I spoke with who was the sole proceduralist for a neurosurgery group. I told him that's not gonna happen in our practice. He wanted to do stimulators and everything. Haha...Never gonna happen bro.

Speaking of pictures...Georgia vs Florida today. World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party.

20231028_125900.jpg

Pretty common. When I was interviewing for PAs a yr or two ago I had a 4'10" PA I spoke with who was the sole proceduralist for a neurosurgery group. I told him that's not gonna happen in our practice. He wanted to do stimulators and everything. Haha...Never gonna happen bro.

Speaking of pictures...Georgia vs Florida today. World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party.
Bourbon in a Islay barrel sounds like an abomination. Is it any good? I picked up some Old Forrester 1920 and have really been enjoying it.

Last edited:
IMG_4094.jpeg
IMG_4095.jpeg

70-75 y/o man with Clbp. Had RFA 3 years ago with good results. Repeated a month ago. No relief. Pain worse, MRI prior to interventional care with DDD, mod foraminal stenosis and worsening leg pain. Better in flexion. ESI relief x1 day. Calls back and pain worse. Demands to be seen. Get ESR/CRP/CBC. MRI repeat with contrast. Labs normal. Contrast views above. None of this seen less than 2 months ago on non contrast MRI. Neurology consulted. Neurosurgery consulted. Broad differential diagnosis. None of it good or that we treat. Going to get liberal with meds.

Bourbon in a Islay barrel sounds like an abomination. Is it any good? I picked up some Old Forrester 1920 and have really been enjoying it.
Abomination? Live life bro...Try stuff...Appreciate creativity. No reason to think anything negative about Bourbon in a scotch barrel.

70-75 y/o man with Clbp. Had RFA 3 years ago with good results. Repeated a month ago. No relief. Pain worse, MRI prior to interventional care with DDD, mod foraminal stenosis and worsening leg pain. Better in flexion. ESI relief x1 day. Calls back and pain worse. Demands to be seen. Get ESR/CRP/CBC. MRI repeat with contrast. Labs normal. Contrast views above. None of this seen less than 2 months ago on non contrast MRI. Neurology consulted. Neurosurgery consulted. Broad differential diagnosis. None of it good or that we treat. Going to get liberal with meds.
Are we thinking we are looking at leptomeningeal disease/drop mets?

No. We ARE looking at that.
What's the non-con MRI FS sequence show prior to your intervention? No hint of disease in retrospect?

LMD sucks to treat and would plug in with palliative for GOC discussion if you're not running point on that. Palliative radiation/chemo could buy time if no prior cancer tx, but I assume his primary is something that was treated remotely.

What's the non-con MRI FS sequence show prior to your intervention? No hint of disease in retrospect?

LMD sucks to treat and would plug in with palliative for GOC discussion if you're not running point on that. Palliative radiation/chemo could buy time if no prior cancer tx, but I assume his primary is something that was treated remotely.
Nothing there. Just arthropathy.

Facet cyst aspiration. It always makes me happy when something actually comes out!

Attachments

• 33B3CB3B-30A2-49E5-80AD-AEB7764A1444.jpeg
    33B3CB3B-30A2-49E5-80AD-AEB7764A1444.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 84
Facet cyst aspiration. It always makes me happy when something actually comes out!
Least fav procedure. I find facet injxns very difficult.

I couldn’t find a description of how to do it but after looking at the spine model I decided to tilt way to the patient’s head to try to slip behind the joint, and so far I’ve gotten cyst material each time

have to look at the MRI cuts. it is a difficult injection when the facets are hypertrophic you ssmetimes have to come in AP or even contralateral oblique. the osteophytes can wrap around the joint making it really difficult to get in.

but that it legit joint fluid

have to look at the MRI cuts. it is a difficult injection when the facets are hypertrophic you ssmetimes have to come in AP or even contralateral oblique. the osteophytes can wrap around the joint making it really difficult to get in.

but that it legit joint fluid

There’s a great case discussion on SIS where Tim Maus shows how to do these using CLO approach to rupture cysts when there is a lot of SAP hypertrophy. Has improved my success rate of getting access to these joints drastically.

There’s a great case discussion on SIS where Tim Maus shows how to do these using CLO approach to rupture cysts when there is a lot of SAP hypertrophy. Has improved my success rate of getting access to these joints drastically.
do you have this?

Aren’t intra-articular facets considered all sham all the time now? Mbb for all according to all payors
I have a handful of <50 age patients with mild OA or random facet effusion that get approved and do well ... but yes almost all are MBB/RF.
Otherwise only facet joint injections I do are for large facet cysts compressing nerve roots - and even then only with lengthy discussion.