Petition to nominate Dr. Simul Parikh as ASTRO president-elect

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElectSimul

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This petition is for those that would like to see a new direction for our great field.

To understand Dr. Parikh's philosophy, please see the VVPM Livestream from last month:

His opening statement begins at 13:33-17:10 and has generally been seen as an accurate reflection of what the modern Radiation Oncologist (the 80% of us in the community) are facing.

The window to submit this petition is within 30 days of the Notice of Nominations to the ASTRO membership. Please let me know when you receive this notice so that the deadline is not missed.

Dr. Parikh has agreed to be nominated. We must provide at least 30 supporting signatures from ASTRO members that are eligible to vote for this to move forward.

I hope you will consider adding your signature: Petition Elect Simul Parikh as next ASTRO president

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 22 users
I will sign the position but I would bet that he doesn't appear on the ballot unless he meets all of the criteria below.

President-elect Criteria​

The instructions for President-elect position should contain the following qualifications:

• Minimum 10 years as a voting member of ASTRO.
  • Previous Board experience or significant committee leadership experience within ASTRO strongly preferred.
  • Documented experience and/or expertise in a broad range of ASTRO activities.
  • Have appropriate amount of time available to serve in the capacity of the position.
  • Significant participation in ASTRO activities within the past five years.

Reactions: 1 users
I will sign the position but I would bet that he doesn't appear on the ballot unless he meets all of the criteria below.

The instructions for President-elect position should contain the following qualifications:

• Previous Board experience or significant committee leadership experience within ASTRO strongly preferred.
  • Have appropriate amount of time available to serve in the capacity of the position.
The ASTRO swamp wants to elect creatures with significant swamp experience... Color me surprised

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

totally agree - for other positions the nominating committee selects the individual they want regardless of other nominations - don't see why it would be different here

Simul has a tremendous amount of committee leadership experience and meets the other criteria as well. Let’s not make their points for them.

If you want to make a difference, this is how you do it. We are about half-way to the requirement of 30 signatures. Please share and keep up the momentum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Nothing against this effort but is Simul Parikh even a member of Astro? His name is not in the membership directory.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Nothing against this effort but is Simul Parikh even a member of Astro? His name is not in the membership directory.
Secondary petition to be created to raise money to get Simul into ASTRO.

Btw, I loved his calling out of proton therapy for prostate on TheMedNet.

• Haha

He will be joining again because of this effort

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ASTRO: “come back to us my children, you sweet summer child!!!”

• Haha
We are at 19 signatures! Please continue to share

Reactions: 1 user
I received the link for the ASTRO Member Survey today, which reminded me of this effort. To those who are able to sign their names, it is greatly appreciated. It will take many of you acting for the good of the next generation for these big changes to come. All the residents and [hopefully fewer] future residents who cannot yet vote or sign the petition are indebted to you.

I received the link for the ASTRO Member Survey today, which reminded me of this effort. To those who are able to sign their names, it is greatly appreciated. It will take many of you acting for the good of the next generation for these big changes to come. All the residents and [hopefully fewer] future residents who cannot yet vote or sign the petition are indebted to you.
Can we verify that he has joined and is eligible? I know it was mentioned that he was not listed but is re-joining based on this effort...

This brings up a question; if we are forming the resistance, are we going to need some sort of secret way to identify each other in public? I was thinking a black ribbon on your astro name tag

• Haha
This brings up a question; if we are forming the resistance, are we going to need some sort of secret way to identify each other in public? I was thinking a black ribbon on your astro name tag
MROGA hats!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Can we verify that he has joined and is eligible? I know it was mentioned that he was not listed but is re-joining based on this effort...

He will be rejoining if he hasn’t already and he should be eligible for presidency based on their criteria.

We really just the need the signatures right now, so if you haven’t put your name down, please do.

Or you could just sign the petition...

When tim chan is saying MROGA, you know you have won. Now we must act. Somebody send the guy a hat.

By who?

The real risk here is in not acting.
If only it were that simple. Given the way leadership has acted in the past 5 years, is there any reason to think anything good would come from signing this petition. In my estimation, the answer is "no" at this point. Can anything bad come from signing it? As petty as it would be, the answer is a clear "yes."

If only it were that simple. Given the way leadership has acted in the past 5 years, is there any reason to think anything good would come from signing this petition. In my estimation, the answer is "no" at this point. Can anything bad come from signing it? As petty as it would be, the answer is a clear "yes."
Only way to have change is to have some skin in the game. To be fair, this is very minimal compared to what others are actually doing. It’s time to support your cause whatever it might be. This may be the only chance you get.

I don't blame residents or junior faculty for not wanting to participate out of fear.

Everyone else should step up.

It would be really sad if we couldn't even get 30 people to sign.

In my case it's been made clear to me repeatedly that nobody else wants to hire me, so I'm not clear what bad could come out of my support for Simul :laugh: Unless I get fired. Then I'm really screwed.

• Haha
  • Love
I don't blame residents or junior faculty for not wanting to participate out of fear.

In my case it's been made clear to me repeatedly that nobody else wants to hire me, so I'm not clear what bad could come out of my support for Simul :laugh: Unless I get fired. Then I'm really screwed.
You’ll be fine, I really don’t think this as polarized as we are making it out to be. If so, there is truly no hope for our field anyway.

5badfg.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users

We're not counting Louis Potters out of Romania, are we? In any case, there are beginning to be leaders, for instance BK, who seem to be taking this seriously. I'm not sure how a pipedream adds anything, much to my chagrin.

Expect a bump in signatures once oral exam results are released.

That would be incredibly petty to fail someone over signing a very legitimate petition but rad oncs in training are paranoid for a reason.

• Wow
Expect a bump in signatures once oral exam results are released.

That would be incredibly petty to fail someone over signing a very legitimate petition but rad oncs in training are paranoid for a reason.

10 days and still waiting for the results. The delay only fuels the paranoia... Understandably waiting for this to sign.

10 days and still waiting for the results. The delay only fuels the paranoia... Understandably waiting for this to sign.
“Choose not to be harmed and you won’t feel harmed. Don’t feel harmed and you haven’t been.”

-Marcus Aurelius

I get the fear and definitely won’t fault anyone for not wanting to come out, but as the great 2pac once said (I think), “I fear no man but God.”

• Love
“Choose not to be harmed and you won’t feel harmed. Don’t feel harmed and you haven’t been.”

-Marcus Aurelius

I get the fear and definitely won’t fault anyone for not wanting to come out, but as the great 2pac once said (I think), “I fear no man but God.”
1622218421883.png

I think I have a P2P with 2pac later about stage III lung IMRT

Why not just have a petition to have the ability to write-in vote now and in the future

not to sound like a total downer, but getting enough signatures to nominate someone does not guarantee one will be on the ballots. ASTRO has a nominating committee that will ultimately decide who "qualifies" to be on the ballot. One needs to plan ahead and also get the right people sitting on the nominating committee...

• Dislike
not to sound like a total downer, but getting enough signatures to nominate someone does not guarantee one will be on the ballots. ASTRO has a nominating committee that will ultimately decide who "qualifies" to be on the ballot. One needs to plan ahead and also get the right people sitting on the nominating committee...

This part is out of our control, but if we put together 1,000 signatures from Radiation Oncologists, I feel it is unlikely that they would just ignore it

In talking to people on the committee, it has been described to me as more of a selection committee than a nominating committee (not my words for the ASTRO overlords reading this)

In talking to people on the committee, it has been described to me as more of a selection committee than a nominating committee (not my words for the ASTRO overlords reading this)
Correct. If you read ASTRO's bylaws, the criteria to be a candidate and the development of the slate of candidates make it challenging to assume the only barrier to get on the ballot is the number of signatures. There is no requirement for the committee to even release how many signatures ASTRO receives for an individual.... not trying to rain on your parade. Far from it. I am trying to stress you have to play the long-game. First focus on getting the right people on the nominating committee. Better yet, find out who are the people right how serving on the nominating committee, identify those you know personally/professionally and lobby them to accept Simul as a candidate if he receives enough signatures. but likely, you will need to build the right nominating committee first, and that may take a few years....

Correct. If you read ASTRO's bylaws, the criteria to be a candidate and the development of the slate of candidates make it challenging to assume the only barrier to get on the ballot is the number of signatures. There is no requirement for the committee to even release how many signatures ASTRO receives for an individual.... not trying to rain on your parade. Far from it. I am trying to stress you have to play the long-game. First focus on getting the right people on the nominating committee. Better yet, find out who are the people right how serving on the nominating committee, identify those you know personally/professionally and lobby them to accept Simul as a candidate if he receives enough signatures. but likely, you will need to build the right nominating committee first, and that may take a few years....

im sure some people have been kissing a** for years already for this position. Most Academics doing it for the CV line. Don’t care about making field better

doesn’t hurt to try though. If doesn’t work then we should get as many community docs, PP or anyone with a brain to what the reality is for our field on nominating committees, general committees and eventually leadership

The “nominating committee” should be the ASTRO members voting. I guess we’ll see what happens, but at least we tried. I don’t have the patience to play the “long game.”

The “nominating committee” should be the ASTRO members voting. I guess we’ll see what happens, but at least we tried. I don’t have the patience to play the “long game.”

And none of us have the time

presidential voting is now open. Both candidates directly address the need to do something about expansion.

I suggest a vote for Ennis over Michalsky. I think Ennis policy statement says more in a more direct manner with less fluff. I also simply do not trust anybody associated with Dennis Hallahan in any way. This is a trojan horse folks. A vote for Michalski is a vote for Hallahan. Vote Ennis.

Vote early and very often,folks!.

presidential voting is now open. Both candidates directly address the need to do something about expansion.

I suggest a vote for Ennis over Michalsky. I think Ennis policy statement says more in a more direct manner with less fluff. I also simply do not trust anybody associated with Dennis Hallahan in any way. This is a trojan horse folks. A vote for Michalski is a vote for Hallahan. Vote Ennis.

Vote early and very often,folks!.
Gasp!!!!

I'm calling my anti-trust attorney as I type.

• Haha