Screenshotting Simul

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1111261

Being a public figure has many cons of course, but over the last few years it’s taken its toll.

There is this behavior of sending links and screenshotting things I tweet or post on SDN and sending to my old PD and others. And then I wake up to text messages sent to me which get under my skin about how angry and nasty I am. Many of you have met me in person or spoken to me on the phone. I’m not the smartest person or the most published or any of the superlatives, but I’m one of the happier and kinder people out there. I’ve gone out of my way for many people in this specialty. Many of you have entered my home or met me out or been to one of my events. I want or need nothing from anyone else in this field, but it brings me joy to help anyone that asks. I like people, engagement, friendships, conversations. I like being a RadOnc, because as nerdy as it is, I like most RadOncs, too.

My messages tend to have passion, and I rarely criticize people directly or by name. Yes, there are those out there that receive my ire (I.e. future Astro presidents going after people and calling them at work or their employer), but in general rants have been about ASTRO’s (lack of) leadership, the absolute laughingstock The Red Journal has become, the careerism of many (who I never name), potential oversupply of trainees (my priors have been adjusted; jobs out there are pretty good, maybe we are fine, I never claimed certainty and those that say it is fine shouldn’t either) and the trampling over community medicine by Big RadOnc. Recently, the industry of “DEI” has been my punching bag, but no need for that any more - it’s collapsing under its own weight and will be a historic footnote of a weird decade. Nice knowing ya, Kendi!

Anyway, I’m a human being. I have feelings. When PDs say I’m a Nazi (yes, this is true), when ASTRO blocks me from any committee work, when past friends stop communicating with me or no longer want to meet at meetings because I’m “controversial”, despite me never saying an ill word towards them and continuing to have the highest respect for them - this hurts my feelings. It makes me feel bad.

Yeah, strange, huh? This firebrand that cares about maternity leave, the ABR not failing people indiscriminately, residents being ill treated has feelings. Amongst my friends (and many of you!), my sensitivity is well known. And it really does bother me to be thought of as this negative person. Everyone who sees me knows I’m constantly smiling and having a good time. Cue Sammy Sosa: “RadOnc has been bery bery good to me”.

Leaving X has been refreshing, and part of that was the same reason. Threads of mine get sent around and talked about behind my back, even though many people behind closed doors not only agree but say the same things to each other- how lousy our journal has become, the problems with SOAPing residents that didn’t want to be RadOncs to begin with, the lack of scholarship of the sociology-type research (“more awareness and studies should be completed to further understand this disparity”), the overwork and underpay of junior academics, the sexism, the favoritism, the arbitrariness of it all and the lack of concern by those in power.

But, when I say it aloud - when the dirty laundry is exposed - then people become upset with me. Not the actions, but with me for saying it. When I spoke about my former chairman, everyone knew and talked about it - but mentioning his racism and clinical ineptness aloud alienated me from my residency, while the chairman got a fond farewell. You know what I get told all the time? “He changed. He’s not like that any more.” Does this excuse past behavior? Why? How is it that these folks blame the victim for what the perpetrator did? But, this is par for the course when people’s words don’t line up with their actions. I think what happens is that when they see someone like me that is consistent - whose actions reflect their words, their own cognitive dissonance hits like a blast of the Midwest winter.

I have no interest in returning to X - it allows me to stay mindful with family and that’s too important, the doomscrolling was too much, the addiction had deep roots. In addition, the app is a mess, and I can’t even follow things without an account. The algorithm is weird now, you have to gamify to amplify and I just have no interest any more. It’s really boring.

Am I a misanthrope? A person who hates other people? I am surrounded by people, we have dinner guests constantly, I have group threads of beloved friends and families, I throw parties, I join clubs, etc. I’ve been the “social chair” every where I’ve been. Medicine, specifically RO, has allowed me to live the life I’ve always dreamed. I’m in Thailand right now with my amazing wife, missing my amazing kids. I kinda miss work, because I adore my clinic, my staff and my patients, but I have two good friends covering me - not just rando locums, people that come to my kids’ birthdays and workout/run with me - that I trust to take good care of my shop. How lucky am I?

I have gratitude every day that I won the lottery of life. I live it as fully as I can and time is running out; I sleep less so I can spend more time with kids in the evening, with wife after they are down, and after she sleeps, I imbibe novels and rationalism essays. My employer is allowing me to do an integrative medicine fellowship and I’m rejuvenated with medicine again.

So, whoever out there that does this screenshotting and thread spreading - you’ve driven me off here, too. But, from my point of view, you’re not nice. You’re not kind. You’re mean. Whatever pleasure you derived from it, whatever laughs you share amongst yourselves, whatever you gain from this - I hope my discomfort brought you joy and it was worth it.

See ya around, maybe in Orlando this March or in DC at that Big Science Fair in the fall.

Simul

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 24 users
I completely understand Simul you are the man. Unfortunately, your voice being silenced is a big win for them. This is not to coax you back just saying it is indeed a tough fight and would love to know what low life, scoundrel, resorted to such pitiful deeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You’re great Simul. We appreciate all you’ve done for the community radoncs out there. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
F 'em. You don't owe anyone a thing.

Field is unwell (has been for awhile) and there is a civil war raging like in no other specialty. It's sad and it is going nowhere fast. You don't see this bull**** in academic urology, medical oncology or radiology.

Field really matched some special folks in the last century who are contributing/creating our current and unique predicament now.

At this point, burn baby burn and if you're part of big rad onc/ASTRO, you're part of the problem #DefundASTRO #JoinACRO

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You will be missed! So sorry to hear about this!

"Threads of mine get sent around and talked about behind my back, even though many people behind closed doors not only agree but say the same things to each other"

SoMe accelerates this phenomenon.

Simul I hope that your life improves with this choice.

What's the point of screenshotting? They can just visit sdn to see what scum you are. Jk. I understand. Job and life are hard enough without that. Best of luck.

Waiting for new account

“Notsimuld”

• Haha
"Threads of mine get sent around and talked about behind my back, even though many people behind closed doors not only agree but say the same things to each other"

SoMe accelerates this phenomenon.

Simul I hope that your life improves with this choice.

Huge problem in medicine, hard to tell if our field is uniquely bad. The small size probably doesn't help here.

Am I a misanthrope?
You are the opposite of a misanthrope. You are a deeply engaged, ideologically inconsistent (a very good thing) and even confessional online personality. You are also (for better or worse) a brand because of your lack on anonymity. (Of course you are a real person too, and I'm sure a fabulous one).

Your brand is not presently associated with a prestige institution in our field. There is probably only so much honesty and individuality that some institutionalists could take. I would consider your willingness to make yourself vulnerable online remarkable. I mean...you owned doing PA work on this forum...baller.

I don't blame the academics for self censoring and essentially only pandering online (see @Chartreuse Wombat post above). This is the only way to behave as an academic careerist unless you are already too old/established/powerful to give AF (RW comes to mind).

Institutionalists in today's environment have a reflexive negative response to the cultivation of personal online brands. I can't blame them for this. Contrarianism and anti-establishment posturing is what is rewarded in the un-curated internet. That people trust Joe Rogan over many doctors is telling, and I'm not sure real experts have any meaningful tools to combat group dynamics online. I am personally always suspicious of personal brands.

Which is why...anonymity is key. Even almost farcical anonymity (you can do better than Notsimuld with your handle) matters. It means you are making an effort to disconnect your thoughts from your person, and this matters regarding vulnerability online. All online anonymity is semi-anonymity anyway.

Hope to hear from you here in some other form. Your views are so dynamic and your mind so keen.

You should feel good about what you have done.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
You are the opposite of a misanthrope. You are a deeply engaged, ideologically inconsistent (a very good thing) and even confessional online personality. You are also (for better or worse) a brand because of your lack on anonymity. (Of course you are a real person too, and I'm sure a fabulous one).

Your brand is not presently associated with a prestige institution in our field. There is probably only so much honesty and individuality that some institutionalists could take. I would consider your willingness to make yourself vulnerable online remarkable. I mean...you owned doing PA work on this forum...baller.

I don't blame the academics for self censoring and essentially only pandering online (see @Chartreuse Wombat post above). This is the only way to behave as an academic careerist unless you are already too old/established/powerful to give AF (RW comes to mind).

Institutionalists in today's environment have a reflexive negative response to the cultivation of personal online brands. I can't blame them for this. Contrarianism and anti-establishment posturing is what is rewarded in the un-curated internet. That people trust Joe Rogan over many doctors is telling, and I'm not sure real experts have any meaningful tools to combat group dynamics online. I am personally always suspicious of personal brands.

Which is why...anonymity is key. Even almost farcical anonymity (you can do better than Notsimuld with your handle) matters. It means you are making an effort to disconnect your thoughts from your person, and this matters regarding vulnerability online. All online anonymity is semi-anonymity anyway.

Hope to hear from you here in some other form. Your views are so dynamic and your mind so keen.

You should feel good about what you have done.
PREACH.

I would go a little further and say that "personal brands" are just another form of "institution".

At the start of this era, where technology made it possible to build a "personal brand", I also had a vague, general, negative opinion of the concept.

However, especially after my personal experiences and seeing how things have played out at the national and international level, my opinion has reversed.

There is a disgusting, disturbing number of "careerists" who hide behind the prestige of an institution without personally deserving that prestige. The way the system has evolved, especially in medicine, is that the skills required to survive and advance up the Ivory Tower ladder are NOT the same skills required to provide excellent patient care.

What I see everywhere, and experienced as my own career progressed, is these careerists have deluded themselves and their patients into believing that their "Endowed Professorship at Ivy League College" somehow means they're excellent in the clinic. But those are totally distinct skillsets.

I think the GBM contours from that Red Journal paper this week is a great example of exactly what I mean.

So beyond the normal tribalism that dominates human behavior, particularly in Medicine, people like Simul are especially...irksome to the establishment. Not only do they become "known" and can influence opinion, they achieved that power through their own, actual skills in the thing they're having opinions about.

Obviously this isn't universally true, and there are "creators" in Medicine who are only interested in building a following. But people like Simul?

He's "known" because of his opinions, and his opinions are derived from his real-life experiences. It's an organic "being known". Yes, obviously we can only "know" his opinions because he uses platforms like SDN or podcasts, but it's not like he ever "advertises" or anything. People think he makes sense, time to time, and choose to hear his opinions.

People like Simul are an existential threat to Establishment RadOnc, who build their entire personality around the possibility of playing the game well enough to be named "FASTRO", because that external validation is a core motivational force in their lives.

It bums me out.

• Love
Huge problem in medicine, hard to tell if our field is uniquely bad. The small size probably doesn't help here.
I just don't see this crap in other specialties. I truly think this big vs little, academic/ivory tower, proton vs photon phenomena is unique to our specialty and it's just gotten worse since the turn of the century with residency expansion

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We all need to be busier in the clinic.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
Appreciate what you do man and understand completely and hope for you the best.

Life is short, spend it doing what you enjoy with the people you love. This field is in a very bad place right now.

Reactions: 4 users
Sad to see you go.
Does this mean no more podcasts?

The largest residency expansion of any specialty is unique as is the focus on decreased utilization. There are some truly vile players in this specialty
DEFINITELY bears repeating

Let's not forget that ASTRO, the organization enabling massive residency expansion while aggressively reducing the use of radiotherapy, chose to permanently censor the 2023 Workforce Taskforce panel discussing this issue without justification or explanation.

Dear ASTRO: 1984 was not an instruction manual. You're a small professional society, stop cosplaying as some dystopian villain.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Being a public figure has many cons of course, but over the last few years it’s taken its toll.

There is this behavior of sending links and screenshotting things I tweet or post on SDN and sending to my old PD and others. And then I wake up to text messages sent to me which get under my skin about how angry and nasty I am. Many of you have met me in person or spoken to me on the phone. I’m not the smartest person or the most published or any of the superlatives, but I’m one of the happier and kinder people out there. I’ve gone out of my way for many people in this specialty. Many of you have entered my home or met me out or been to one of my events. I want or need nothing from anyone else in this field, but it brings me joy to help anyone that asks. I like people, engagement, friendships, conversations. I like being a RadOnc, because as nerdy as it is, I like most RadOncs, too.

My messages tend to have passion, and I rarely criticize people directly or by name. Yes, there are those out there that receive my ire (I.e. future Astro presidents going after people and calling them at work or their employer), but in general rants have been about ASTRO’s (lack of) leadership, the absolute laughingstock The Red Journal has become, the careerism of many (who I never name), potential oversupply of trainees (my priors have been adjusted; jobs out there are pretty good, maybe we are fine, I never claimed certainty and those that say it is fine shouldn’t either) and the trampling over community medicine by Big RadOnc. Recently, the industry of “DEI” has been my punching bag, but no need for that any more - it’s collapsing under its own weight and will be a historic footnote of a weird decade. Nice knowing ya, Kendi!

Anyway, I’m a human being. I have feelings. When PDs say I’m a Nazi (yes, this is true), when ASTRO blocks me from any committee work, when past friends stop communicating with me or no longer want to meet at meetings because I’m “controversial”, despite me never saying an ill word towards them and continuing to have the highest respect for them - this hurts my feelings. It makes me feel bad.

Yeah, strange, huh? This firebrand that cares about maternity leave, the ABR not failing people indiscriminately, residents being ill treated has feelings. Amongst my friends (and many of you!), my sensitivity is well known. And it really does bother me to be thought of as this negative person. Everyone who sees me knows I’m constantly smiling and having a good time. Cue Sammy Sosa: “RadOnc has been bery bery good to me”.

Leaving X has been refreshing, and part of that was the same reason. Threads of mine get sent around and talked about behind my back, even though many people behind closed doors not only agree but say the same things to each other- how lousy our journal has become, the problems with SOAPing residents that didn’t want to be RadOncs to begin with, the lack of scholarship of the sociology-type research (“more awareness and studies should be completed to further understand this disparity”), the overwork and underpay of junior academics, the sexism, the favoritism, the arbitrariness of it all and the lack of concern by those in power.

But, when I say it aloud - when the dirty laundry is exposed - then people become upset with me. Not the actions, but with me for saying it. When I spoke about my former chairman, everyone knew and talked about it - but mentioning his racism and clinical ineptness aloud alienated me from my residency, while the chairman got a fond farewell. You know what I get told all the time? “He changed. He’s not like that any more.” Does this excuse past behavior? Why? How is it that these folks blame the victim for what the perpetrator did? But, this is par for the course when people’s words don’t line up with their actions. I think what happens is that when they see someone like me that is consistent - whose actions reflect their words, their own cognitive dissonance hits like a blast of the Midwest winter.

I have no interest in returning to X - it allows me to stay mindful with family and that’s too important, the doomscrolling was too much, the addiction had deep roots. In addition, the app is a mess, and I can’t even follow things without an account. The algorithm is weird now, you have to gamify to amplify and I just have no interest any more. It’s really boring.

Am I a misanthrope? A person who hates other people? I am surrounded by people, we have dinner guests constantly, I have group threads of beloved friends and families, I throw parties, I join clubs, etc. I’ve been the “social chair” every where I’ve been. Medicine, specifically RO, has allowed me to live the life I’ve always dreamed. I’m in Thailand right now with my amazing wife, missing my amazing kids. I kinda miss work, because I adore my clinic, my staff and my patients, but I have two good friends covering me - not just rando locums, people that come to my kids’ birthdays and workout/run with me - that I trust to take good care of my shop. How lucky am I?

I have gratitude every day that I won the lottery of life. I live it as fully as I can and time is running out; I sleep less so I can spend more time with kids in the evening, with wife after they are down, and after she sleeps, I imbibe novels and rationalism essays. My employer is allowing me to do an integrative medicine fellowship and I’m rejuvenated with medicine again.

So, whoever out there that does this screenshotting and thread spreading - you’ve driven me off here, too. But, from my point of view, you’re not nice. You’re not kind. You’re mean. Whatever pleasure you derived from it, whatever laughs you share amongst yourselves, whatever you gain from this - I hope my discomfort brought you joy and it was worth it.

See ya around, maybe in Orlando this March or in DC at that Big Science Fair in the fall.

Simul
Who called you a Nazi? I am happy to have a new reason to attend ASTROs annual conference and have a polite and nuanced debate with said individual about what a nazi is and how this behavior is unacceptable publicly and loudly. They still have microphones at the conference?

Reactions: 3 users
Hi Simul,
I love your accelerator's podcast show and your insightful tweets on x and SDN. You have helped me indirectly with the information for job search, contracts, and the differences between private practice and academic jobs. I would disregard the haters and keep the good work going.

Reactions: 7 users
Radonc SDN won’t be the same without you, Simul. You are a legend, and you will not be forgotten.

i think I can speak for nearly everyone here:
We are rooting for you.

I hope you enjoy your break, but I hope your absence is not for too long. If a return to SDN in physical form isn’t feasible, perhaps there’s another way (e.g. Force ghost like Obi-wan).

Peace ✌️

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to see people are ****ty human beings. However, can't say I'm surprised.

I personally think some of the more grotesque stuff (calling you a Nazi) needs to be named and shamed. The people perpetrating non-sense like that need to have public opinion consequences, not you.

ASTRO unfortunately is likely a lost cause and the echo chamber it is based on their unwillingness to consider outside opinions will only intensify that nature.

Unfortunately the nail that sticks out gets hammered. Only reason you personally did is because you're non-anonymously sticking out.

Hope you'll consider rejoining SDN on an anonymous basis - your thoughts/positions have value, even if they are not tied directly to your name.

There is a disgusting, disturbing number of "careerists" who hide behind the prestige of an institution without personally deserving that prestige.

So beyond the normal tribalism that dominates human behavior, particularly in Medicine, people like Simul are especially...irksome to the establishment. Not only do they become "known" and can influence opinion, they achieved that power through their own, actual skills in the thing they're having opinions about.

People think he makes sense, time to time, and choose to hear his opinions.

People like Simul are an existential threat to Establishment RadOnc, who build their entire personality around the possibility of playing the game well enough to be named "FASTRO", because that external validation is a core motivational force in their lives.

It bums me out.

Simul = earned media

People choose to listen and amplify his message because he actually engages with rad onc’s and trainees IRL and online.

Establishment Rad Onc = paid media

“US News #1 hospital in state X” and “end cancer” paid billboard ads plastered in airports and next to congested freeways. Cancelling accounts and ignoring or silencing inconvenient perspectives and they wonder why their NRMP Match numbers are amongst the worst of all specialties several years in a row.

In short, Simul is the MrBeast of rad onc, Establishment are the legacy cable companies fuming in their board rooms that Gen Z and Millennials don’t want to watch talking heads pontificate on evening news.

Last edited:
just stating an opinion. People can choose to do as they wish. I continue to believe that anonymity is everything. I believe it is a mistake currently to lose this advantage. The comparison to a civil war is made above. Obviously, nobody here is advocating for violence in any way. But it is an ideological “war” and it must be waged to win. Americans were criticized in revolutionary war because they did not follow the “rules” of the time and essentially fought a guerrilla war. Don’t care about the rules of engagement. We are anonymous. We are legion. Expect us.

Last edited:
  • Love
Hi all, this thread inspired a podcast, thought you might like to listen. It's part of a double feature.

We made an episode about one of those bad IJROBP articles, you can find that here: “A Recent Article in the Red Journal”: A Rad Onc Policy Journal Club - The Accelerators Podcast

The response to the article (and Simul's tweets) contributed to this thread. We recorded some thoughts about this thread, commentary in Rad Onc, and propaganda in the second part of the double feature: “Ignoring the Elephant in the Room”: Matt Interviews Simul About Discourse in Rad Onc - The Accelerators Podcast

We hope you enjoy.

PS Yes, Simul is still doing the podcast, he recorded another journal club about another, separate frustrating ASTRO journal article. There are so many, ugh. Out soon :cool:

• Love
Hi all, this thread inspired a podcast, thought you might like to listen. It's part of a double feature.

We made an episode about one of those bad IJROBP articles, you can find that here: “A Recent Article in the Red Journal”: A Rad Onc Policy Journal Club - The Accelerators Podcast

The response to the article (and Simul's tweets) contributed to this thread. We recorded some thoughts about this thread, commentary in Rad Onc, and propaganda in the second part of the double feature: “Ignoring the Elephant in the Room”: Matt Interviews Simul About Discourse in Rad Onc - The Accelerators Podcast

We hope you enjoy.

PS Yes, Simul is still doing the podcast, he recorded another journal club about another, separate frustrating ASTRO journal article. There are so many, ugh. Out soon :cool:
Red journal correct? I guess they are one in the same, just hadn't seen it referred to like that before

Red journal correct? I guess they are one in the same, just hadn't seen it referred to like that before

This released episode is about the freestanding center article in the Red Journal.

The soon to be released podcast is about the SkinCure article in Advances. I have not listened/edited yet haha.

1707849227465.png
1707849181036.png

• Wow
Ok I just listened to the quitting social media pod and think the discussion is great and agree with so much. YES we need to read more, and read more fiction. We also need to get some f&**ing hobbies outside of work. Life outside of work can be so good. Its okay to not make this your identity and its probably healthier. If some anon person comes at me and tells me I'm a bad doctor for calling this just a job, they can go look at my press ganey report.

Also anyone with tips on how to get my kid to stop scratching my face would be great. Also a big concern of mine.

• Love
  • Haha
Ok I just listened to the quitting social media pod and think the discussion is great and agree with so much. YES we need to read more, and read more fiction. We also need to get some f&**ing hobbies outside of work. Life outside of work can be so good. Its okay to not make this your identity and its probably healthier. If some anon person comes at me and tells me I'm a bad doctor for calling this just a job, they can go look at my press ganey report.

Also anyone with tips on how to get my kid to stop scratching my face would be great. Also a big concern of mine.

Remember kids, satisfaction scores are higher in the community than main center academic hospitals. Published by the academics themselves.

Here is the Skincure episode, 12 and a half minutes of Simul tearing these people apart. “I Am Friendly to Industry”: A Rad Onc Skin Cancer Journal Club - The Accelerators Podcast

This is such a joke. I asked one of the people affiliated with this study about the data and was just... I don't even know what to think. I hope they got paid A LOT of money because they sounded ridiculous.

The ASTRO editors should be ashamed of themselves.

Remember kids, satisfaction scores are higher in the community than main center academic hospitals. Published by the academics themselves.

Here is the Skincure episode, 12 and a half minutes of Simul tearing these people apart. “I Am Friendly to Industry”: A Rad Onc Skin Cancer Journal Club - The Accelerators Podcast

This is such a joke. I asked one of the people affiliated with this study about the data and was just... I don't even know what to think. I hope they got paid A LOT of money because they sounded ridiculous.

The ASTRO editors should be ashamed of themselves.
Maybe the patients experience more docs with bigger egos or something. Agree, this is a terrible paper and only shows more of how low we have gone in our field … authors should feel ashamed.

Maybe the patients experience more docs with bigger egos or something. Agree, this is a terrible paper and only shows more of how low we have gone in our field … authors should feel ashamed.
it makes alot of sense.
The vast majority of patients really do not need to go to the "mothership".
Community sites if you have a modern linac can probably do like >97% of the indications for RT.
Whether its an academic community or hospital/private community site, it is going to be a better experience for most patients. Likely a suburban location, easier parking, more personal care and not feeling like a #.

it makes alot of sense.
Community sites if you have a modern linac can probably do like >97% of the indications for RT.
Whether its an academic community or hospital/private community site, it is going to be a better experience for most patients. Likely a suburban location, easier parking, more personal care and not feeling like a #.
Reminds me of the Nancy Lee and proton conclusion: “we didn’t get the results, so we’ll just continue forward because obviously we’re better.”

Honestly, I could care less about patient surveys (I got dinged once for snow in the parking lot) but obviously this needed to be addressed by the academic community and explained to the common folk. Another example of how our fields loves to waste time and resources

Last edited:
it makes alot of sense.

In my last network, they would make these arbitrary rules where certain procedures would have to be at the mothership. Spine SBRT was an early example.

Same doctors, same physicists, machines are beam matched. Revenue routes differently though :)

The argument was that it is safer to "roll out" procedures across a network slowly. At first I couldnt tell if departmental leadership were lying to themselves or to me.

I agree that paper doesn't need to be published but the data arent useless internally. If rad oncs were not so RVU pressured, one could use them to improve the low performing site (tons of caveats). I suspect that will become basically impossible in the future.

I'm sorry but this data reflects exactly one health system. There is not enough data to be extrapolated more broadly. I don't understand how this was published.

I'm sorry but this data reflects exactly one health system. There is not enough data to be extrapolated more broadly. I don't understand how this was published.
💯… trash

Don't be sorry, be constructive. Maybe you and I should get together and see if Press Ganey wants to, um, fund a study for an ASTRO journal.

I have some home improvements coming up.

The hub-and-spoke model of care delivery is especially well suited for oncology patients. Although a health care network may establish a central oncology clinic equipped with cutting edge technology to perform the most advanced procedures and research, investing in additional network clinics has been shown to improve access for patients seeking cancer treatment.

The reference for this absurd statement is literally a singular reference to an article nursing journal discussing the feasibility of a satellite chemotherapy infusion center on MARTHA’S VINEYARD.

• Haha
A hub and spoke model of care delivery in a small field like rad onc is really as simple as shutting down the **** residency programs. I not infrequently shoot a text to someone who trained me and helped create nccn guidelines. We're small enough that every trainee should essentially be a spoke of a major academic center.

A hub and spoke model of care delivery in a small field like rad onc is really as simple as shutting down the **** residency programs. I not infrequently shoot a text to someone who trained me and helped create nccn guidelines. We're small enough that every trainee should essentially be a spoke of a major academic center.

Uh, no thanks haha. Clinical folks in academic network departments work really hard to support a lot of people that sit around or work from home or spend half their time "at meetings".

I'd argue our whole field would be better off if we went back to where academic networks delivered just a minority of radiotherapy treatments.

My network will never really be a "hub and spoke" the way that a lot of academics have designed their networks. We just aren't designing it that way. Certainly some centers are more comprehensive and others are more rural and small, but it's much more driven by where the surgeons operate.

This no doubt varies across networks.

Simul, I love how passionate you are about things. Even though you and I disagree on a minority of things that are important to both of us; I love to hear about your views and add them to the calculus of my views. Also, as a passionate person, you are sensitive to things. I don't think you've done any wrong (healthy discussion about opinions is not wrong), and I'm sorry that people have attacked you in malicious ways. I know this probably takes a greater toll on you than most people realize because you're a very empathic person.

Moral of the story, attack ideas and not people.

Last edited:
  • Love
Uh, no thanks haha. Clinical folks in academic network departments work really hard to support a lot of people that sit around or work from home or spend half their time "at meetings".

I'd argue our whole field would be better off if we went back to where academic networks delivered just a minority of radiotherapy treatments.

My network will never really be a "hub and spoke" the way that a lot of academics have designed their networks. We just aren't designing it that way. Certainly some centers are more comprehensive and others are more rural and small, but it's much more driven by where the surgeons operate.

What’s your ideal solution - if you could have changed the model of your former place. Clearly there are admin jobs in any dept that has to be done by someone. More of these in some settings than others, but not at all exclusive to academics.
How do you design a compensation model that accounts for that?

What I mean is, I'm essentially a spoke out in the boonies. I have no professional affiliation with the place I trained. However, unlike large specialties, where you can also train in the boonies, it's not really a thing in rad onc. Pretty much all of us has easy access to a "leader.". In turn, there's basically a hub and spoke system built in based on the nature of training sites, excepting a few garbage residency programs/locations. Closing those programs would simultaneously address the oversupply issue and reinforce this hub and spoke idea