OSU-COM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Off the subject a little-how much do any of you think dual-degrees help in obtaining residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes and No, depends on the residency.

Top three factors that determine most residencies are:
1. Your personality and compatibility [with the current staff]
2. Your work ethic
3. Board scores >>>> Grades (both matter, grades far far less than scores)

Thats what most of the attendings and residents have been saying thus far that come and talk to the school about their particular residency.

Off the subject a little-how much do any of you think dual-degrees help in obtaining residencies?

DO/PhD would probably help a bit, though not a good reason to get a PhD. I think the general consensus is DO/Master doesn't help very much. I thought about going this route, but in the end OSU didn't offer a dual degree in anything I thought I'd use. If they offered a MEd I probably would have went that route.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just called Sarah...the class of 2015 is full. Bridge interviews are full...not good news:(

So now we wait to see if anyone drops out...

I don't know if I believe the class is completely full. At the admitted student day there were only around 30 of us. And our FB group only has around 50 people in it including admins and older students, but I've been wrong before and don't know why on earth they would have told you that if it were not true.

I don't know if I believe the class is completely full. At the admitted student day there were only around 30 of us. And our FB group only has around 50 people in it including admins and older students, but I've been wrong before and don't know why on earth they would have told you that if it were not true.

At admitted student day the slide show they showed of the class so far had like 70 something people in it

little to none.

I would have to add a caveat/disagreement to this.. that it does depend on what type of residency and what you want you want to to do... for instance, many DO's do not apply to MSTP residency however if you are serious about a translational research career and want to do an MSTP residency 88% of all applicants have a PhD and something like 95% who get in have PhD. Additionally I worked in lab with the PD for Pathology fellowship at MD Anderson (#1 Cancer Center... shout out) who told me that a PhD wont get you in but it will get you considered. So will a masters make a difference NO prolly not unless MPH and you want public health or MBA if you want go that route. So i def agree do it only if you want it but do realize that there are residency that and fellowships that weigh dual degrees but these are mostly PhD not masters and mostly involve translational type specilaties!

The bridge program is interesting to me. I have never heard of anything like it at any other school. Think about this, what school deliberately holds slots for students who will lower the numbers for school, who might need extra help with the curriculum, and who might not even help with the minorities-admitted numbers? Certainly, OU doesn't do anything of this sort.

I'm expressing this poorly, let me try again. OSU has filled the non-bridge spots. They could have filled all of the slots. They could have a class full of people with over 30 MCAT's and 3.8 GPA's (you know that if they wanted to be numbers ******, they could do this).

OSU has made a calculation that there are people in Oklahoma who would make good doctors who would otherwise have little chance of getting into medical school. In order to produce these doctors, OSU-COM is deliberately lowering the numbers on which some people judge medical schools.

For those of you with bridge interviews, you might want to ask yourself, "Why do I have this bridge interview? What is it about me that OSU thinks will make me a better doctor than some genius Harvard graduate who didn't get in?"

EDIT: Just in case someone misunderstands my post here. I am not challenging this policy (I like it) I'm just trying to help the bridge program interviewees to reflect on the kinds of questions that they might be asked.

Last edited:
The bridge program is interesting to me. I have never heard of anything like it at any other school. Think about this, what school deliberately holds slots for students who will lower the numbers for school, who might need extra help with the curriculum, and who might not even help with the minorities-admitted numbers? Certainly, OU doesn't do anything of this sort.

I'm expressing this poorly, let me try again. OSU has filled the non-bridge spots. They could have filled all of the slots. They could have a class full of people with over 30 MCAT's and 3.8 GPA's (you know that if they wanted to be numbers ******, they could do this).

OSU has made a calculation that there are people in Oklahoma who would make good doctors who would otherwise have little chance of getting into medical school. In order to produce these doctors, OSU-COM is deliberately lowering the numbers on which some people judge medical schools.

For those of you with bridge interviews, you might want to ask yourself, "Why do I have this bridge interview? What is it about me that OSU thinks will make me a better doctor than some genius Harvard graduate who didn't get in?"

EDIT: Just in case someone misunderstands my post here. I am not challenging this policy (I like it) I'm just trying to help the bridge program interviewees to reflect on the kinds of questions that they might be asked.

Interesting point! obviously OSU-COM sees something in certain students and is willing to give them a chance. In my interview, they made it a point to explain that is not all about #'s.
I think that OSU knows there are good students, with the right maturity level and lower MCAT scores that can be successful med students.

Last edited:
I would have to add a caveat/disagreement to this.. that it does depend on what type of residency and what you want you want to to do... for instance, many DO's do not apply to MSTP residency however if you are serious about a translational research career and want to do an MSTP residency 88% of all applicants have a PhD and something like 95% who get in have PhD. Additionally I worked in lab with the PD for Pathology fellowship at MD Anderson (#1 Cancer Center... shout out) who told me that a PhD wont get you in but it will get you considered. So will a masters make a difference NO prolly not unless MPH and you want public health or MBA if you want go that route. So i def agree do it only if you want it but do realize that there are residency that and fellowships that weigh dual degrees but these are mostly PhD not masters and mostly involve translational type specilaties!

I'll give you the PhD, I was assuming an MBA (or MPH).

Just called Sarah...the class of 2015 is full. Bridge interviews are full...not good news:(

So now we wait to see if anyone drops out...

FWIW, I was told back in early December that 2015 was full for OOS students. Then I watched people OOS students on SDN get accepted after that point.

I think it may just be a "canned" statement they use due to so many calls/questions and not enough time to research it.

FWIW, I was told back in early December that 2015 was full for OOS students. Then I watched people OOS students on SDN get accepted after that point.

I think it may just be a "canned" statement they use due to so many calls/questions and not enough time to research it.

No they really are honest. Whats happening is OOS slots are filled, an accepted OOS withdraws, and then the whole OOS pool is reviewed and more people are accepted. They really are full when they say that.

No they really are honest. Whats happening is OOS slots are filled, an accepted OOS withdraws, and then the whole OOS pool is reviewed and more people are accepted. They really are full when they say that.
I think it also had to do with from what perspective you are asking. I called back later and talked to Dr. C. She said the class is not full and won't be until after May when people have to decide between schools. But to sarah, she knows how many offers have went out and to say the class is full is the short answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
The bridge program is interesting to me. I have never heard of anything like it at any other school.

There are about 5 schools with a bridge program that I know of. Very good concept for a lot of students....

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Bridge interviews are essentially the same as the traditional interviews?

Yes OSU's interviews are basically the same. I think the bridge interview considers different criteria than for the regular program. But that takes place behind closed doors the interview as far as you "I was last year" is the same very relaxed very personal.

Some information on Boards and such:

OSU #1 in Comlex Step II PE
http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/communications/press_release/2011/3_23_pass_rate.cfm

2011 Match Results

Number of graduates: 86
Graduates that matched AOA residency: 46 (50.6%)
Graduates that did not participate in AOA match**: 33 (36%)
**Note: I was told that of these 33, 30 matched into MD Residencies.
Anesthesia: 2
Emergency Medicine: 12
ENT: 1
Family Medicine: 27
General surgery: 4
Internal Medicine: 10
IM/Peds: 2
Neurology: 2
OB-GYN: 6
Peds: 8
Physical medicine and rehab: 1
Psychiatry: 2
Radiology: 2

Last edited:

http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/communications/press_release/2011/3_23_pass_rate.cfm

2011 Match Results

It seems strange no one matched into ortho with OSUMC having two spots, as well as Saints having two spots in OKC

2011 Match Results

So 7 did not match anywhere. Did these get a spot in the scramble?

So 7 did not match anywhere. Did these get a spot in the scramble?

Spoke with the head honcho in the know about this one. Apparently they intentionally wanted to enter the scramble... for whatever reason. At this point in my education, i'm not sure how this game works but I guess they are playing it to some kind of advantage, whether personal or professional.

The above list was supplied by the students. There were several who did not volunteer their information regarding where they matched. The list, therefore, does not represent the entire class.

That's some pretty good stats. I'm glad OSU is doing such a good job that its graduates are held in good esteem.

Does anyone know about how much movement is "normal" between this point and when the class is "final" and full for good? I mean, between this point and when it is set in stone, about how many move from the wait list to accepted? I know its different every year. Just curious to hear if anyone has a clue.

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got the call yesterday! SOOO pumped. For those interested: OOS Interviewed 1/28 Waitlisted 2/8 (I think) Accepted 3/25.

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got the call yesterday! SOOO pumped. For those interested: OOS Interviewed 1/28 Waitlisted 2/8 (I think) Accepted 3/25.

Your first post was an acceptance nothing else you write can live up to that :D

Congratulations

congrats!!! where are you from?

im sure we talked a little about this before but im too lazy to go thru all the pages and look- the summer histology course: what information does it cover? I think someone said it was first exam material so what exactly does that mean? are we suppose to get more info regarding it later? thanks guys!

It does indeed cover the first exam material.

First exam is the lengthiest and by far the most by volume of material. It is entitled "The Cell." You start covering each basic type of tissue, each cell, cell features, etc. You cover both stains and electron micrographs.

Has anyone heard through the grapevine when the final wait list is going to be announced, or even an approximate time? When was it out last year? Any little bit of info will help pass the time! Thanks!:)

It does indeed cover the first exam material.

First exam is the lengthiest and by far the most by volume of material. It is entitled "The Cell." You start covering each basic type of tissue, each cell, cell features, etc. You cover both stains and electron micrographs.

hmm sounds like the first exam in undergrad histo.
so you take the course in july ... then start over again in august covering the same stuff?

Has anyone heard through the grapevine when the final wait list is going to be announced, or even an approximate time? When was it out last year? Any little bit of info will help pass the time! Thanks!:)

Grapevine is non-existent. They (the administration) does it to be fair. All I (and other students) do is run off of previous years data. I figure soon after bridge students are picked (since some may be on waitlist for the non-bridge program) they will start to nit and pick a final wait list. It may even be after the May cut off date for refunds however.

hmm sounds like the first exam in undergrad histo.
so you take the course in july ... then start over again in august covering the same stuff?

Yep. Bridge class is required to take summer, but optional otherwise for everyone else. I voted no to taking and still scored an A. I took histo at UCO, it goes nowhere near the dept this class does so don't be overconfident but it does help in that you will be able to keep up much easier.

haha Dr. Vaughan is a great guy but definitely could beef his classes up a bit- I had my second son while taking his molec cell phys class and still made an A after skipping a month of class.

I love every opportunity to be a nerd- would start studying now if I could but the idea of starting a month ahead of time then repeating the same material just makes me feel like I'll get overly confident from seeing it in July and not do as well on the first exam in the fall. Plus with the stress of moving to Tulsa in July not sure I'd give it 100%. IDK, guess I'll think about it some more. When do they enroll/give the option to enroll for it?

Grapevine is non-existent. They (the administration) does it to be fair. All I (and other students) do is run off of previous years data. I figure soon after bridge students are picked (since some may be on waitlist for the non-bridge program) they will start to nit and pick a final wait list. It may even be after the May cut off date for refunds however.

has anyone heard when OU's final date to accept or for refunds is this year?

I keep hearing from my friends that there may be people accepted to both schools, and it will be after that date that there will be alot of movement on the waitlist.

I keep hearing from my friends that there may be people accepted to both schools, and it will be after that date that there will be alot of movement on the waitlist.

People lose refunds mid May

You'll have to talk to someone who holds an acceptance because they will recieve mail/e-mail with information regaurding the refunds. Or, it might even say on their acceptance letters such as "xx.xx deposit required by xx/xx/xx and wont be refunded after xx/xx/xx.

haha Dr. Vaughan is a great guy but definitely could beef his classes up a bit- I had my second son while taking his molec cell phys class and still made an A after skipping a month of class.

I love every opportunity to be a nerd- would start studying now if I could but the idea of starting a month ahead of time then repeating the same material just makes me feel like I'll get overly confident from seeing it in July and not do as well on the first exam in the fall. Plus with the stress of moving to Tulsa in July not sure I'd give it 100%. IDK, guess I'll think about it some more. When do they enroll/give the option to enroll for it?

Being a nerd is good, but having a life is better. You have children, enjoy the time you can have with them. If you do well in vaughn's histo, i wouldn't recommend taking the summer course. Its your 2nd to last summer of freedom before you start your career (2nd year summer consumed by board studying in May, boards in June, and Rotations start July 1st).

I received a wait list letter today. Interviewed 3/8.

I received a wait list letter today. Interviewed 3/8.

Congrats an GL! Hope you hear soon! They say two big waves happen: movement in May (when refunds are lost and people start dropping multiple seats) and movement when more multiple seats are dropped when it comes time to move to city where school is (~July?).

Wait list for me too. Interviewed 3/11. Let's keep our fingers crossed.:xf:

For any of the current students, When does the financial aid come through in the fall? Is it before school starts?

For any of the current students, When does the financial aid come through in the fall? Is it before school starts?

Ya I had a similar question, if I've already filled out my FAFSA do you need to do anything else, does the school send you more information as we get closer to the summer?

They will send you info eventually, but when they do they instruct you to go to this website: http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/student/financialaid/forms.cfm

And print off the Bursar Direct Deposit, Title IV Authorization, and MS1 or Bridge loan authorization respectively. On there you list how much you need and you can take out to the max as needed. After the max, which will be listed in the e-mail, you must fill out a modified budget and be approved for additional funding.

I was accepted to OU. They gave me two weeks to submit my deposit and then evidently there's a point sometime in mid-May where people can withdraw their deposit if they have multiple acceptances and choose somewhere else to go. I'd imagine that will result in movement on OU's waitlist and, by proxy, movement on OSU's waitlist (some people accepted to OSU are waitlisted at OU and change their decision when OU takes them off the waitlist).

I hope that helps alleviate some of the confusion.

I was accepted to OU. They gave me two weeks to submit my deposit and then evidently there's a point sometime in mid-May where people can withdraw their deposit if they have multiple acceptances and choose somewhere else to go. I'd imagine that will result in movement on OU's waitlist and, by proxy, movement on OSU's waitlist (some people accepted to OSU are waitlisted at OU and change their decision when OU takes them off the waitlist).

I hope that helps alleviate some of the confusion.

As I was forcefully reminded in last year's thread, there are even a group of people who prefer OSU and withdraw from OU after being accepted here.

Ya I had a similar question, if I've already filled out my FAFSA do you need to do anything else, does the school send you more information as we get closer to the summer?

Again, I'm speaking from being accepted from OU but I'd imagine it's the same for both schools. I submitted my FAFSA and asked their financial aid department the same question, and the general answer was "you'll need to wait until we compile a list for you".

From what I've gathered, the financial aid department takes your FAFSA and compiles all your options and presents them to you, sort of like a broker would do for insurance.