OSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone been called and asked to consider the dual degree programs osu offers?

Members don't see this ad.

I got an email from them in March sometime. But the email said the deadline was 4/15 to sign up

Yea I got the email but no phone calls here. Did you get one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Cunningham called last Friday and asked if I would be interested in applying for it. I'm interested in it and it gives me another chance to get into the program other than waiting. Anyone think its a good idea? I'm shooting for the M.S./D.O. program.

I'm guessing it's one of those things where if you agree you're basically committing to it. It's a bit of a judgment call; if you think you can get in without it, you're better off not having to deal with an extra two years of Master's work.
If you're unsure, then by all means go for it

I would do it if it were the difference between getting in and not

I think there are x number of spots reserved for the do/graduate programs, not so sure but it would be similiar to bridge in they would be considered seperately.

I think there are x number of spots reserved for the do/graduate programs, not so sure but it would be similiar to bridge in they would be considered seperately.

I probably dug a hole for myself by getting my MPH before going to medical school. They're almost certainly less likely to offer me a spot in a Master's program given that I already have one.
:(

Call admissions and express interest cannot hurt.

I took physiology and endocrinology with Lavern also. Great guy, big sports fan, very good to his students. He wrote me a letter of rec for med school, highly recommend taking those classes.

Holy cow it's Bob Barker! COME ON DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWN!:laugh:

Is it taboo or anything to get a second Master's degree? I'd really like to get an MBA and the DO/MBA program seems like a very reasonable way to do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took physiology and endocrinology with Lavern also. Great guy, big sports fan, very good to his students. He wrote me a letter of rec for med school, highly recommend taking those classes.

Same here! I took both of those classes and he wrote my rec for OSU-COM. He's a great professor.

Why hasn't anyone here actually heard anything about waitlist movement? A few weeks ago I called Dr. Cunningham and she made it sound like they weren't even moving the waitlist until late May. Do they simply leave spots open until the "waitlist purge"?

they wait until post 15th for most of the movement to happen and cease, then move on to fill all those spots, then they cut the wait list. Most likely, the committee will meet a week after the 15th at latest the 22nd, and then calls will proceed shortly after.

they wait until post 15th for most of the movement to happen and cease, then move on to fill all those spots, then they cut the wait list. Most likely, the committee will meet a week after the 15th at latest the 22nd, and then calls will proceed shortly after.

I suppose that makes sense. Certainly explains why nobody has heard anything so far. Still, knowing that there's probably a lot of movement that's going to happen in the next few weeks is definitely gonna raise my tension levels :)

My roommate got a call last Tuesday (5/4). I know they called some other people that day too, but I don't know how many. They have until the 19th to commit. Great for my roommate... TORTURE for me.

I have been on the wait list since January. Lindsey told me the other day that the final wait list will come out end of May/beginning of June. I'm going to be out of the country all summer, so my parents will have to call me with the news.

Anyone deciding to apply for the M.S./D.O. program? I'm pretty sure I'm going to give it a go. I'm sure that all the oos spots have been locked up so I might end up waiting for nothing in that regard. Hopefully this might work out for me.

4R cowgirl, where do you go to school at? Welcome to the thread!

Gl to everyone still waiting!

Just submitted my cover letter and research statement to Dr. Cunningham for the M.S./D.O. program. Crossing my fingers. Hopefully this will work out well =D

I agree. I've been accepted into a Masters program at Colorado State but I am still really hopeful that OSU comes through.

Good news! I just got my final grade in my MPH curriculum; I will be granted my Master of Public Health in Health Administration and Policy! :laugh::cool:

Good news! I just got my final grade in my MPH curriculum; I will be granted my Master of Public Health in Health Administration and Policy! :laugh::cool:

Congrats! The OU program, I assume. I have the same degree and was able to use it for 3 years before medical school. I think it has been beneficial since then, although I have not directly used it as a physician in any work setting.

Congrats! That is awesome =D. Anyone hear anything for osu in terms of final waitlist or calls or anything?

thanks tallgal are you going to be around during the summer histology class?
also will the bridge students receive financial aid dispercment this summer?

No financial aid until fall classes start is the word for everyone as I was told.

Judging by the lack of chatter about calls from OSU and acceptances, it sounds like OSU is holding off until they purge the waitlist sometime soon. Guess all I can do is wait, eh?

Hey guys! My name is Blake Evans, and I'm one of the new Student Ambassador Coordinators for OSU-COM. I wanted to pass along some information in regards to an Applicant Information Session we have coming up. Hope you can make it!

Applicant Information Session
Oklahoma State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
1111 W. 17th St.
Tulsa, OK 74107

Date: 6/4/2010
Time: 9:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

Please join us for an applicant information session. This is a session for all student that wish to matriculate into our medical school for the entering class of 2011.
This session will feature:
  • <LI class=MsoNormal>Tips for a successful application & common mistakes <LI class=MsoNormal>Advice from medical students <LI class=MsoNormal>Meet members of the Admissions Committee
  • Tour our school
Please visit here to RSVP: http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/student/index.cfm

Judging by the lack of chatter about calls from OSU and acceptances, it sounds like OSU is holding off until they purge the waitlist sometime soon. Guess all I can do is wait, eh?

I called monday to ask about the final waitlist and was told that they havent even decided that yet so more waiting i suppose.

Anybody know a link were I can get a past OSU-CHS secondary application?

I am going to be giving up my seat in the next couple of weeks. I hope it makes someone on the waitlist happy.

I am going to be giving up my seat in the next couple of weeks. I hope it makes someone on the waitlist happy.

I'm sure it will, but AFAIK none of us waitlistees have heard anything in over a month so pretty much anything at all will make us happy :laugh:

I'm sure it will, but AFAIK none of us waitlistees have heard anything in over a month so pretty much anything at all will make us happy :laugh:

The waiting is brutal. I hope everything works out for you phange.

Hello everyone, this is my first time to post. Of course, I have questions.
I'm on the waitlist, interviewed in January. The last time I talked to Lindsey was the end of April as I was preparing to seek out new LOR's for my reapplication as per her advice from a previous conversation. She told me to hold off on that until the final waitlist had been made. Well, that was supposed to be in mid-May; it's now June and I feel that I am losing ground on an early application for the next cycle. I am assuming I should go ahead and get on with the new application cycle, but does anybody know what the situation is with the waitlist?

Hello everyone, this is my first time to post. Of course, I have questions.
I'm on the waitlist, interviewed in January. The last time I talked to Lindsey was the end of April as I was preparing to seek out new LOR's for my reapplication as per her advice from a previous conversation. She told me to hold off on that until the final waitlist had been made. Well, that was supposed to be in mid-May; it's now June and I feel that I am losing ground on an early application for the next cycle. I am assuming I should go ahead and get on with the new application cycle, but does anybody know what the situation is with the waitlist?

I've been wondering the same thing about the final waitlist. I haven't heard or gotten anything regarding that. I am also planning on reapplying but I am also waiting out the results for the M.S./D.O. program. I have basically everything ready to turn in but I don't want to gamble and waste money. I don't want to risk applying late like last time so if I don't get in then I'm sending everything in.

I dont know, but OSU seems to be at a state of loss over the new student loan programs, the final wait list, computers, etc.... I hope they get their act together.

I dont know, but OSU seems to be at a state of loss over the new student loan programs, the final wait list, computers, etc.... I hope they get their act together.

What do you mean?

Having been on a waitlist before, I know how it feels to not know what's going on. That said, I had been told repeatedly that we'd hear something by the end of May, and that didn't turn out to be the case. OSU has a pretty solid reputation for being applicant-focused, so I'm sure there are good reasons why it's been stalled. I, too, heard that it's best to wait to see the final waitlist before reapplying. I'd appreciate seeing it sooner rather than later :xf:

What do you mean?

Computers: they continue to recommend the fujitsu tablet despite it's horrible track record. They also are behind the game in mailing all the specs out to everyone.

Financial aid: I keep getting mixed answers about questions such as which entrance counseling to do, how to pursue additional funds since my wife is unable to work this fall, and just lack of good communication overall.

Wait list: it's a month after cut off dates and no one has heard a peep about the final waitlist nor anything else. I feel for alot of people who are trying to hold on to hope yet still want an Earl start for next season. Most every other school has had alot of movement already.

Oh, I see. Yeah that's a worry, people still not knowing whether they should reapply.

What makes it even more difficult is that I have heard practically nothing from anyone on the waitlist. It almost sounds like they haven't been moving the waitlist in over a month. If that's true, it makes me wonder what they're waiting for.

Oh well, they told me that I'd hear something by "the first week of June at the very latest". Well, it's the second week of June. I don't want to start my reapplication and pay the fees until I know what's going on, but I'm starting to run out of time.

Got an email from financial aid today about loans and such - Phlame I think they got your message. And supposed to be a computer lecture at the orientation on Sat if you can make it.

As far as the waitlist goes, only two people on sdn have said theyre giving up their spot - and Marsh said "in the next couple of weeks" not even a week ago. OSU has to see how many give up a spot, match In State vacancy to In State waitlist to keep up their required percentage (like 90%), and still make sure that theyre taking their top choices from the waitlist. And, people might have already been accepted and just arent on SDN.

It sucks to get in off the waitlist at the last minute, but the bottom lines is that those who do are still in med school. Keep the faith!

And, contrary to SND lore, you dont have to apply in June to get into med school. I didnt apply until late August and got lots of love. so dont abandon the waitlist ship for reapp yet

Got an email from financial aid today about loans and such - Phlame I think they got your message. And supposed to be a computer lecture at the orientation on Sat if you can make it.

As far as the waitlist goes, only two people on sdn have said theyre giving up their spot - and Marsh said "in the next couple of weeks" not even a week ago. OSU has to see how many give up a spot, match In State vacancy to In State waitlist to keep up their required percentage (like 90%), and still make sure that theyre taking their top choices from the waitlist. And, people might have already been accepted and just arent on SDN.

It sucks to get in off the waitlist at the last minute, but the bottom lines is that those who do are still in med school. Keep the faith!

And, contrary to SND lore, you dont have to apply in June to get into med school. I didnt apply until late August and got lots of love. so dont abandon the waitlist ship for reapp yet

I gave up my spot last Friday. OSU is a great school and it was a difficult decision. Oh, and I was out-of-state... Good luck to everyone! :luck:

Last edited: