OSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phlame217

PGY-1 IM
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

I posted this thread since Oklahoma State didnt have a new thread yet... Not sure if anyone is reapplying this year from previous thread either. Anyways...

I am complete with OSU and will hopefully start hearing news soon.

I posted this thread since Oklahoma State didnt have a new thread yet... Not sure if anyone is reapplying this year from previous thread either. Anyways...

I am complete with OSU and will hopefully start hearing news soon.

When did you find out you were 'complete?' Did they send you an email or is there a status page? I sent in all my materials but have not heard anything. ..

Members don't see this ad :)
I am complete too, spoke with Sara over the phone to verify application is complete. However she said there would be a confirmation email (supposed to be sent yesterday for me) sent that I have yet to receive.

I sent an email last week to them and recieved a confirmation then; also, i recieved a form email on monday saying i was complete and that they're constantly reviewing applications.

From my experience i probably wont hear an interview invite, if i do get one, until mid september.

Got my email today stating I was complete, just waiting now.

waiting on alot right now...

Ok, maybe I'm going crazy but I don't see an application fee listed anywhere? I'm sure it's too good to be true for a secondary to be free?!

application fee is 25.00 I think look around at website again or call admissions office.

Do these guys screen everyone or screen OOS err anything?

not really sure although i know they are obligated to many in-state students since they are a state school and get tax revenue

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for posting the link I was posting from my phone and I didn't take the time to double check the dollar figure that I posted.

Do these guys screen everyone or screen OOS err anything?

As far as the secondary goes, my understanding is that there is no screening and invitation. The applicants are on their own to go to the website to download and submit the secondary. However, they give preference to Oklahoma residents.

Come on people, there has to be more OSU-COM applicants than this on SDN!

Come on people, there has to be more OSU-COM applicants than this on SDN!

If they are anything like me they are just waiting to hear something from this school. I sent in my secondary the end of June and have been anxiously waiting since then....

osu emailed me the secondary. completed it 2-3 weeks ago and sent everything in. Got an email last week stating they received my secondary and payment. The wait begins...

If you meet the minimum requirments, go to the website and download/fill out the secondary asap. Feel free to PM me with any Q's regarding apps, curric, or general school Q's.

I've noticed from previous threads from years ago that OSU doesn't start sending invites until around the second week of September or later. So keep waiting, just like I am, until then.

If they are anything like me they are just waiting to hear something from this school. I sent in my secondary the end of June and have been anxiously waiting since then....

Yes. Just waiting. I imagine things will pick up on this thread once the interview invitations go out.

"To what professional schools have you made application this year?"

is this just basically asking what MD and/or DO schools did I apply to this cycle? (much like the NSU secondary app?)

Yes, any DO or MD schools. Professional could also be interpreted at being Dental or Law too, but I doubt your applying to those.

those are considered further education, not "professional schools" so i wouldn't think so. You really can't screw it up, OSU is very forgiving. Just go of of the gut feeling.

Someone above hit it on the head. You won't hear much until the end of september or so. The new class size is 92 and approx 85% come from In State. There are several groups on Facebook, feel free to message one of us if you would like to speak with a student about the school.

Someone above hit it on the head. You won't hear much until the end of september or so. The new class size is 92 and approx 85% come from In State. There are several groups on Facebook, feel free to message one of us if you would like to speak with a student about the school.

Last cycle there were rumors of a new class size and those ended up being untrue. Do you know of the class size increasing from people talking or is it announced somewhere? For people that are interviewing from out of town, do most stay with a student or a hotel?

This years class is increased from previous, so it has apparently been implemented already.

How many schools did you all apply to? Is this school your only option?

This is the only osteopathic school I applied to.

Has anyone heard rumors about the interview dates? Some other schools released the interview dates for the cycle already, just curious.

The "untrue" rumor you heard was that class size would be 115. The school has been given the green light for that size, but its several years off. They would have to greatly enlarge the cadaver lab and the 2nd year lecture halls to accomodate that many people. As of now its 92, along with bridge students. I believe the class of 2013 is actually 99 including bridge. OSU is notorious for starting interviews later than all the surrounding schools. The very first interview date will be around the 3rd week of october, usually around the 23rd or so. They will not send out invited until sometime around mid Sept. so don't feak out if you haven't heard anything.

For people that are interviewing from out of town, do most stay with a student or a hotel?

I dont think you and I are considered "Out of Town"

I dont think you and I are considered "Out of Town"

Are you going to drive an hour and a half the morning of the interview in your suit? I'm not. I feel an overnight stay in Tulsa is well worth bypassing the chance of car trouble, highway closing due to wreck, or any other variable. Call me cautious.

Are you going to drive an hour and a half the morning of the interview in your suit? I'm not. I feel an overnight stay in Tulsa is well worth bypassing the chance of car trouble, highway closing due to wreck, or any other variable. Call me cautious.

:thumbup: I'll call you experienced and clever. Then again, I might just know who you really are. I completely agree about the overnight stay. As for me, I think I'm a hotel guy - maybe one with a hot tub and a free breakfast bar. ;)

I think I will probably stay at a hotel, but would like to meet a current student the night before for Q & A possibly at dinner or somewhere relaxing.

It depends on what is going on. I don't know about you old people, but Tulsa is only a 50 minute drive for me :) . I am a morning person and really dont mind getting up early and driving down there and back, im more of a money conservative person...

It depends on what is going on. I don't know about you old people, but Tulsa is only a 50 minute drive for me :) . I am a morning person and really dont mind getting up early and driving down there and back, im more of a money conservative person...

Us "old people" are realistic. It is 97.7 miles from UCO ( I live a couple blocks away) to OSU-COM, in order to travel that in "50 minutes" that is 117 mph average. I'll spend the 30-40 bucks on a cheap hotel. I've spent money in worse ways before. Sitting in a car for an hour to hour and a half will put wrinkles in the suit (pants anyways), not the impression I want to leave to save a couple bucks.

Last edited:

Don't you know us old people go to bed at 9 and wake up at 4!?

Seriously though, it all comes to down to a value decision in the end. For me the $60-$70 (perhaps even less) is well worth avoiding all the things that JustOne mentioned in his post above (and perhaps in your case, getting pulled over by highway patrol :p). Plus, as an "old" guy, I've been putting money away in savings specifically for this. For me, mitigating risk is worth more than the money. Therefore, I'm willing to part with it. Your situation is obviously different. (I'm really not trying to be condescending here. I was your age once and know where you're coming from).

I think I will probably stay at a hotel, but would like to meet a current student the night before for Q & A possibly at dinner or somewhere relaxing.

Just don't go to your interview with a hangover...

Don't you know us old people go to bed at 9 and wake up at 4!?

Seriously though, it all comes to down to a value decision in the end. For me the $60-$70 (perhaps even less) is well worth avoiding all the things that JustOne mentioned in his post above (and perhaps in your case, getting pulled over by highway patrol :p). Plus, as an "old" guy, I've been putting money away in savings specifically for this. For me, mitigating risk is worth more than the money. Therefore, I'm willing to part with it. Your situation is obviously different. (I'm really not trying to be condescending here. I was your age once and know where you're coming from).

Hey WhatsNext, think you can get your buddy J.T. Kirk to cut us a deal on priceline?

It's all just a state of mind.

If I feel 18 in my mind, does that mean I will attract all the 18 year old hotties again? Maybe that is how Hugh Hefner does it. Hey I can wear a smoking jacket to class. Man I am ready for this application cycle to be over. I know my mind has left me when I resort to posts like this.

In order to feel and attract 18 year olds, just got have the dough as hugh does.

And for those of you have been saving money, just a little thing for me. My full-time job along with 16 hrs of courses barely covers left over tuition and school costs let alone pay my car payment, gas, and anything else. Some of us arn't fortunate enough to be able to afford much else and I have been lucky enough to not resort student loans yet, and I am in my senior year.

I am not so worried about the suit, just change once I get there. I have made it to Tulsa that fast before, but that was for an emergency. Its not much for me to get up at 5 am and roll out by 6 to be there by 7:15 with plenty of time to be there for the typical 8am or late interview.

But on a fun side note, its September in a day or so which means we should be hearing interview offers in a few weeks.