Only taking Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Metamorphosis.DO

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
OMS-2 here. I feel really confident on my abilities generally. I have always been a below-average standardized test taker, however. I think I have a uniquely good relationship with a dean who is an OBGYN and I am confident I can get good letters from him and on my rotations in a few months. My research is coming along 4-5 pubs/projects by graduation. Really strong, longitudinal volunteer experience and my interview skills are strong. I’m not trying to toot my horn, rather give better context.

I am considering taking only step 2 in addition to comlex level 1 and 2 (obviously) and I’m wondering if any new OBG interns/residents/anyone with insider knowledge may know if this would be seriously detrimental? I don’t THINK id fail but honestly, I don’t want to take the chance on step 1. my top choice residency is 50+ DO. I have identified several other programs I’ll apply to that are also DO friendly. I know that doesn’t mean they dont want step1.

any info appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

OMS-2 here. I feel really confident on my abilities generally. I have always been a below-average standardized test taker, however. I think I have a uniquely good relationship with a dean who is an OBGYN and I am confident I can get good letters from him and on my rotations in a few months. My research is coming along 4-5 pubs/projects by graduation. Really strong, longitudinal volunteer experience and my interview skills are strong. I’m not trying to toot my horn, rather give better context.

I am considering taking only step 2 in addition to comlex level 1 and 2 (obviously) and I’m wondering if any new OBG interns/residents/anyone with insider knowledge may know if this would be seriously detrimental? I don’t THINK id fail but honestly, I don’t want to take the chance on step 1. my top choice residency is 50+ DO. I have identified several other programs I’ll apply to that are also DO friendly. I know that doesn’t mean they dont want step1.

any info appreciated.
Have not matched yet, but received several interviews without either step. Do I think it is beneficial? 1000%. Do I think it is "detrimental"? No.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Metamorphosis.DO

I'd recommend having Step scores (Step 2 that is) if you want to apply to certain programs that require it. I received interviews from programs that required both. So I'd say if you don't want to limit yourself, take Step. On the flip side, doing poorly on Step would hurt you.
However, if you are confident in the majority DO residency programs without taking Step, then you know yourself better and keep moving forward.

I matched OB/GYN today!

• Love
Have not matched yet, but received several interviews without either step. Do I think it is beneficial? 1000%. Do I think it is "detrimental"? No.
Wondering how match went for you! Any news To share?

Curious as to what other specifically you applied to?

Congrats x a million!
Applied FM as a "backup." Would have been happy in either, one of them I get to do surgery the other one I get to go home to my family.

I’m almost certain you need to take step one in order to register for step 2. We won’t interview DO’s that haven’t taken step. OB/Gyn has gotten super competitive. A lot of DO’s don’t match even with good step scores. Don’t close doors by skipping step exams.

I’m almost certain you need to take step one in order to register for step 2. We won’t interview DO’s that haven’t taken step. OB/Gyn has gotten super competitive. A lot of DO’s don’t match even with good step scores. Don’t close doors by skipping step exams.
Incorrect. You no longer need to take step 1 to take step 2.