Applying to ob prelim spots only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goblue2007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm an MD/MBA with a passion for women's health and now at a crossroads with career choices:
- Consulting: have offer with a top 3 firm that is willing to wait if I choose residency first). I prefer to do at least one year of clinical training for added credibility and ability to get medical license.
- Preventive medicine: can do any prelim/intern year, then apply during that year. So, ok to leave for consulting at any point and not hurt other residents.
- Ob/Gyn: was always my passion, but not feeling sure about 4 years of training if I don't plan to practice long term.

I just found out about ob/gyn prelim spots and feel it would it was perfect for me: leaves door open for continued ob/gyn training, preventive medicine OR consulting. I do not feel ethically comfortable applying to a categorical spot if I don't intend to stay.

Given that, does anyone know:
1) Why anyone would apply to ob/gyn prelim year *not* as a back-up for categorical spot? I have my reasons, but what is the typical reason for apply up front instead of scrambling?
2) What to say in a personal statement. For most prelim med/surg spots, I know that you submit basically the same app as the advanced program (radiology, anesthesiology). For this, should I use an application geared towards ob/gyn (get ob/gyn dept chair letter, etc.) OR preventive med?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Alot of programs hold prelims, for people who rotated and didnt match. Also problem is, there are only a handful of OB prelim years. I would tell you to apply to transitional years as well. It may cost you another year if you go down that road, but its better than starting from scratch.

I can't think that an OB prelim spot would be very useful. You learn a very small amount of obstetrics/gynecology in this time span and really aren't equipped to handle that much. Most people apply pre lim because they couldn't get a categorical spot and eventually match into a categorical spot as a PGY2 due to the higher attrition rate.

A transitional year would expose you to more and leave you more well rounded.