only 3 doing ob/gyn out of 95

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nightowl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
only 3 people in a class of 95 are doing ob/gyn!!! tons of medicine, peds, and surgical subspecialties. What gives? It can't be entirely hours, because hours for surg aren't any better. I was just surprised to see the numbers so low. I have yet to do my rotation, but it seems like 3 is an awfully small number....

Members don't see this ad.

where is this? i have noticed an increase when speaking with fellow applicants on the interview trail.

where is this? i have noticed an increase when speaking with fellow applicants on the interview trail.

Every year people say the number of applications increase and the competitiveness does but if you look at the Match data it's pretty much the same as last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
6/65 in my class

Not to be pedantic but Ob/Gyn is a surgical sub-specialty too :) .... but I know the point you are making !!!

1 out of ~110 in our class.

1) Men dont feel welcome in the field. That eliminates half hte applicant pool right off the bat.

2) Ridiculous insurance premiums. Florida OBs are paying 200k in malpractice

3) People who really like the surgical aspect of OB/GYN usually pick another surgical field.

^ I think what you say is very true. Here in TX there are a lot of protections for OBs and therefore we still have a lot of students going into it from all the 8 schools.

1) Men dont feel welcome in the field. That eliminates half hte applicant pool right off the bat. So the men that do enter look really feminine so they can feel welcom. Pleez.....

2) Ridiculous insurance premiums. Florida OBs are paying 200k in malpractice
Why live in Florida, when you could live in a state with tort reform like Texas.

3) People who really like the surgical aspect of OB/GYN usually pick another surgical field.This is such a random thought....

only 3 people in a class of 95 are doing ob/gyn!!! tons of medicine, peds, and surgical subspecialties. What gives? It can't be entirely hours, because hours for surg aren't any better. I was just surprised to see the numbers so low. I have yet to do my rotation, but it seems like 3 is an awfully small number....

This is not universal by the way.

For my med school:

Class of 2007: 2 people went into OB/gyn.

Class of 2008: 15 people went into OB/gyn.

There's just no explanation for some things. But take heart - what you saw at your school is DEFINITELY not a universal thing!

Last year: 3
This year: 11
Next year: who knows

As far as men not feeling welcome - I think that's a regional thing. In the south men in OB/GYN is much more common. I have not encountered any discouragement. In our community (ie not the university hospital) there are not that many female obs to choose from. While interviewing women from the north were definitely more pissy. (totally anecdotal I know but I like to make broad generalizations)

1) Men dont feel welcome in the field.

I find that hard to believe, when the majority of ob/gyn faculty and dept heads are men, the majority of ob/gyns at ACOG conferences are men, and any man who attends an Ob/Gyn state or regional conference or CME event will be warmly greeted by his fellow men and encouraged to go into Ob/Gyn. How much more welcome do you want to feel?

People do make the mistake of generalizing bad rotation experiences to all of the field: if I did that, I would feel that women are not welcome in psych, or surgery. Which is ridiculous.

So far there are 8 of a class of 60 going into OB/GYN next year (2009). This year had 2.

I find that hard to believe, when the majority of ob/gyn faculty and dept heads are men, the majority of ob/gyns at ACOG conferences are men, and any man who attends an Ob/Gyn state or regional conference or CME event will be warmly greeted by his fellow men and encouraged to go into Ob/Gyn. How much more welcome do you want to feel?

That is mostly a remnant of a time when most doctors were men. These male OB/GYN's you speak of are older I would assume. OB residents are now overwhelming women and in about 20 years it will be a girls club.