***Official VCOM Class of 2010***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ChEdog said:
It's official. I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday. I am really excited. I look forward to seeing everyone in August.

Many Congrats and welcome to the VCOM family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there fellow VCOM'ers... I wanted to pass along some information regarding a worthy cause that a member of the VCOM family has agreed to participate in. I just heard that Megan Price has agreed to become a part of the Boston 3 Day walk to raise funds for breast cancer research. Megan has committed to raise $2200 for the cause and needs our help.

Megan has not asked me to, nor does she know that I am posting this on the VCOM forum. The cause is great and I thought that some of you might want to help her meet her commitment!

The following link can be used should you like further information or choose to help Megan meet her goals this summer.

http://www.the3day.org/Boston06/megprice

Amy B, that moderator icon is pretty slick, congratulations.

Jonathan

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I'll be joining all the first years this Aug. I'm so excited to get started and to meet all of you. I'm 29, female, married, no children yet, and VT alumnus...and I'm going to be living in C-burg on Cambria street. I'm moving up at the end of June, so if any of you are around we can meet up and have a coffee or a drink!

Also, has anyone heard back about a recommended reading list for the summer?

See you all in August!

I am posting this for a fellow 2008 classmate.

Hey all you VCOM students!

Need HOUSING for 2006/07 School Year?

2 Rooms AVAILABLE FOR RENT

Each ROOM HAS its own SEPARATE LEVEL including bath

Available in SPACIOUS Christiansburg TOWNHOUSE

Only $400 per month each PLUS utilities
INCLUDES GARAGE, WASHER/DRYER, Refrigerator, and Storage

Where else will you get a deal like that?

Available on August 1, 2006 (negotiable)

Don’t Delay!
email for more information [email protected]

Unlimited Construction is finishing up brand new townhomes on York Dr. in Christiansburg(about 10min from VCOM). They are income dependent, but are BRAND NEW, look really nice, and I think they would make great homes for VCOM families. Here is the contact information:

Linda Fisher 540-394-7151
http://www.UnlimitedConstructionInc.com

Jackie, check out verizon DSL, depends on where your apartment is located. I'm in the class of 2009 and live in Pulaski - grew up there and already owned a house there. Anyway, we have DSL for $22.00 a month and the speed is phenomenal. Good luck when you start.

rtrdo

Jackie2010 said:
Thanks for the information - I'm supposed to call about my internet/cable, water, and electricity....

ANYONE HAVE THE ADELPHIA # so I can get started? Hmmm...$120 a month - do you med students really have the time to watch tv too? I really want to know these things!

Jackie
VCOM 2010

Ok, from what I understand, NTC is the last thing students want. But, I did receive this email today from them. They are changing their prices:

Current
Cable Internet: $34.99/month
Cable TV: $49.99
Local Phone: $15.99 + $10 optional (voicemail, call waiting, caller ID and 100 Domestic Long Distance minutes)

New Rates. Starting August '06
Cable Internet: $25.99/month
Cable TV: $49.99 (No Rate Change)
Local Phone: $19.99 (Includes all features except Long Distance) +$3.99 optional (100 Long Distance Minutes, .08 for each additional minute)

Hmmmm.... It's odd to see internet prices drop. Maybe they were losing so many customers they needed to lower it in order to compete again for business. Although, both the old and new prices are cheaper than what they charge in MI... so I am happy :thumbup:. But does that mean worse service and reliability? :thumbdown:

Thanks for the info....hmmmm, I'll be 3 miles from campus. I guess I should call to check out the rates, eh?? Does verizon have internet, cable, and phone? or just internet (DSL).

That's a great deal for DSL too, thanks for all the info.

RTRDO said:
Jackie, check out verizon DSL, depends on where your apartment is located. I'm in the class of 2009 and live in Pulaski - grew up there and already owned a house there. Anyway, we have DSL for $22.00 a month and the speed is phenomenal. Good luck when you start.

rtrdo

Bayrunner,

Yes, I am questioning their service and reliability....I'm really not sure who to go with now. Thanks for letting me know the new prices - I'll have to do a little more research on my own about it. I'm still not sure who to go with!

Jackie2010

BayRunner said:
Ok, from what I understand, NTC is the last thing students want. But, I did receive this email today from them. They are changing their prices:

Current
Cable Internet: $34.99/month
Cable TV: $49.99
Local Phone: $15.99 + $10 optional (voicemail, call waiting, caller ID and 100 Domestic Long Distance minutes)

New Rates. Starting August '06
Cable Internet: $25.99/month
Cable TV: $49.99 (No Rate Change)
Local Phone: $19.99 (Includes all features except Long Distance) +$3.99 optional (100 Long Distance Minutes, .08 for each additional minute)

Hmmmm.... It's odd to see internet prices drop. Maybe they were losing so many customers they needed to lower it in order to compete again for business. Although, both the old and new prices are cheaper than what they charge in MI... so I am happy :thumbup:. But does that mean worse service and reliability? :thumbdown:

I'll be there at the end of July, I'm sure we could find a comfy meeting place to chat.......

See you then!

Jackie2010

bio-chik said:
Hello,

I'll be joining all the first years this Aug. I'm so excited to get started and to meet all of you. I'm 29, female, married, no children yet, and VT alumnus...and I'm going to be living in C-burg on Cambria street. I'm moving up at the end of June, so if any of you are around we can meet up and have a coffee or a drink!

Also, has anyone heard back about a recommended reading list for the summer?

See you all in August!

NTC (or whatever their new name is) is still probably the last thing you want. But unless things have drastically changed, I don't think you have a choice. NTC has a contract with certain apartment complexes and thats your only cable, internet, and local phone choice.

Things to pay attention to (which may or may not still be true).
1) internet is charged per room, not per roommate. If you have 2 ppl living in a 3 bedroom you might be paying on a scale for 3 not 2.
2) movie channels may not be available.
3) if you really don't need a local phone why pay for it, unless its included in the package and you dont get a choice. Most students I know only have a cell phone and have no need for a local phone.

Most of the apartments complexes around Tech have the contract with NTC. And the only way to avoid them is to simply not live there. Good Luck with figuring out all the details.

BayRunner said:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering when VCOM is going to send out the template for our "Get to Know Us" power point presentation? I thought they said that it would be in the month of May.

Hey all VCOMers,
I was wondering if anyone knew what books we would need for our first year. I usually get mine online and was wanting to go ahead and purchase them. Thanks in advance!!!!

QCOM2006 said:
Hey all VCOMers,
I was wondering if anyone knew what books we would need for our first year. I usually get mine online and was wanting to go ahead and purchase them. Thanks in advance!!!!

Yeah, I have no idea, but I wish I knew too - I'm an online buyer...maybe we should send an email to find out.

I also wish I knew our class schedule and breaks - being from Florida, I need to make travel arrangements (flights etc.) in advance.

Jackie :)

QCOM2006 said:
Hey all VCOMers,

This was sent to me via Megan 'We will share the booklist later this summer – once it is finalized, you will receive notification via e-mail."

Jackie2010 said:
Yeah, I have no idea, but I wish I knew too - I'm an online buyer...maybe we should send an email to find out.

I also wish I knew our class schedule and breaks - being from Florida, I need to make travel arrangements (flights etc.) in advance.

Jackie :)

check with current students before you start buying a lot of books. Some books are never actually used and in some cases there are better ones to get than the "required" ones.

as for class and break schedules, be careful about trying to plan anything (travel, weddings, whatever) according to the schedule you are given. The schedules are very fluid and you are usually expected to adhere to them no matter what.

Any word on when the summer reading is coming out?

cyclegirl said:
Any word on when the summer reading is coming out?

VCOM sent me an e-mail yesterday saying that it would be out soon, but they didn't specify a date.

On the 2010 website, the anatomy prof has put up a couple of downloadable forms. Included in the small packet is a list of anatomical and directional terms and definitions. It is also recommended to learn the bones before school starts. Dr. Anderson also gives the required texts for our Gross Anatomy class. Here's some links for you guys if you want it, thought I'd give you guys the heads up.

Gross Anatomy Introduction Letter

Gross Anatomy Anatomical Terms

Gross Anatomy Illustrations

J

jsmittyund03 said:
On the 2010 website, the anatomy prof has put up a couple of downloadable forms. Included in the small packet is a list of anatomical and directional terms and definitions. It is also recommended to learn the bones before school starts. Dr. Anderson also gives the required texts for our Gross Anatomy class. Here's some links for you guys if you want it, thought I'd give you guys the heads up.

Gross Anatomy Introduction Letter

Gross Anatomy Anatomical Terms

Gross Anatomy Illustrations

J

Thanks!!! I would not have noticed the anatomy link if you hadn't brought my attention to it.

Amy,

How'd the first class do on the COMLEX/USMLE? Any stats available?

Jonathan

Hi,
We have not been given individules stats, but a small percentage of the 2007 did not pass the COMLEX. There can be a huge variety of reasons for that. And one person scored as one of the highest scorers on the USMLE in the nation (that is impressive).

The 2008 class is gearing up and studying their butts off now. We have a bunch of people taking it on July 10 or 13. And then the rest are the 2nd week of aug or sept 19. So stay tuned for our scores :thumbup:

I will also tell you as I prepare I am amazed at all the stuff I have learned over these past 2 years. When doing the Qbank (USMLE and COMLEX), it is very rare when I come across something that I have never seen or heard about in some class. So I am confident. ALthough I wish I had about another 3 months to study for 20 hours a day. :cool:

Just accepted off the wait list this morning I'm sooo relieved and excited to be a 2010 VCOMer.

Does anyone know when the first day class/orientation/matriculation is?

gyme said:
Just accepted off the wait list this morning I'm sooo relieved and excited to be a 2010 VCOMer.

Nice,

Congrats, and you still have time to square things away. Orientation is August 16th. Here's our classes' website, I'm guessing the book list/schedule will be put up here shortly.

J

gyme said:

Congratulations!

Most of you probably already know, but just in case you didn't, the booklist for Block 1 is available. Check your VCOM email..

Are you guys/girls gonna buy all the "required" books? If so, where from? The bookstore during orientation or online like at amazon?

ChEdog said:
Most of you probably already know, but just in case you didn't, the booklist for Block 1 is available. Check your VCOM email..

Are you guys/girls gonna buy all the "required" books? If so, where from? The bookstore during orientation or online like at amazon?

I mentioned before to wait to talk to current students to see if they really recommend the books (rather than wasting your money). But if you are convinced you need all the books b/c its med school and you are going to start it off right b/c after all its med school (one gets over that line of thought real quick, by the way), then another source to get your books from is from current students. Students often advertise their books on the VCOM announcements. In addition, there are often advertisements for furniture and other stuff.

http://www.vcomstudent.com/announcements/

Well, is it possible that a current "anonymous" student can post on here what we should/shouldn't buy?
I don't know any current students.....

OhNoNotAgain said:
Well, is it possible that a current "anonymous" student can post on here what we should/shouldn't buy?
I don't know any current students.....

Can you post the book list? or a link to the list?

From memory, buy the required anatomy books. Don't bother with the required micro, histology, biochem, and immuno. I do recommend Micro Made Ridiculously Simple and several of the Board Review Series books (Phys, Path(2nd year)). Personally I have never used the required PPC/OMM books, but I think they will be more handy during clinical rotations and they are referred to A LOT.

Required Booklist for Block 1, 2006

Coico, R., Sunshine, G., Benjamini, E. (2003) Immunology, A Short Course, 5th Edition, Wiley-Liss. ISBN: 0-471-22689-0

Moore, K. L. and Persaud, T. V. N. (2003). The Developing Human, 7th edition. W. B.
Saunders Company, Philadelphia. ISBN: 0-7216-9412-8

Turnpenny, P. and Ellard, S. (2005). Emery’s Elements of Medical Genetics, 12th
edition. Churchill Livingston, Edinburgh, UK. ISBN 0443100454

Young, B., Lowe, J., Stevens, A. and Heath, J.W. (2006). Wheater’s Functional Histology, 5th edition. Churchill Livingston, Edinburgh, UK. ISBN: 0-443- 06850-X

Smith, Marks and Lieberman (2004). Basic Medical Biochemistry, 2nd edition,. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins. ISBN 0-7817-2145-8

Marks, Dawn, (1998). Board Review Series Biochemistry, 3rd edition. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkens. ISBN 0-683-30491-7

Murray, P.R, Pfaller, M.A. and Rosenthal, K.S. (2005). Medical Microbiology, 5th ed. Mosby Pub.
ISBN 0-323-03303-2

American Medical Association (2004). Code of Medical Ethics: Current Opinions with Annotations, 2004-2005. ISBN 1-57947-561-2.

Swartz, M. (2006). Textbook of Physical Diagnosis, 5th edition. Elsevier Publishing. ISBN
13 9781416003076

Ward, R.C. Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine, 2nd ed. (2003). Lippencott, Williams and Wilkens. ISBN 0-7817-3497-5

Hi all,
here is an awesome apartment deal for someone who is still looking. I am posting for a 2008 classmate. :)

""""" I have a 2 bedroom (950 sq foot) apartment available in Foxridge. It is on the second floor and very quiet. The carpet and bathroom fixtures are all new. My current rent is $719/month, BUT because I need to move this week, I worked out a deal with Foxridge to give a rent concession on this apartment. The rent concession will reduce the cost of the apartment to $649/month and in addition, I am throwing in $50/month for 12 months. YOU WOULD BE GETTING THIS APARTMENT FOR $600/month ($300/person)... The apartment is available now!!! email me at [email protected] if you are interested. """""

As to books, I bought them all and actually used them all to adlib to the lectures. You will have to try what works for you and that may take some time but you will get into a flow.

ChEdog said:

I bought them all on Amazon for less than $500. Although you may not use the books that much during class, some of the students that I have heard from wish they had copies of the material to use as a reference when studying for boards. Guess it depends on your learning style and what works for you. If anything I am planning on using the books to supplement the lectures and to have just in case...

LMG908 said:
Can you post the book list? or a link to the list?

From memory, buy the required anatomy books. Don't bother with the required micro, histology, biochem, and immuno. I do recommend Micro Made Ridiculously Simple and several of the Board Review Series books (Phys, Path(2nd year)). Personally I have never used the required PPC/OMM books, but I think they will be more handy during clinical rotations and they are referred to A LOT.

Thanks for the tips. I have heard good things about the "Made Ridiculously Simple" set of books.... Do you recommend any others out of that series?

BayRunner said:
Thanks for the tips. I have heard good things about the "Made Ridiculously Simple" set of books.... Do you recommend any others out of that series?

I haven't actually heard a lot about that series other than the Micro. Maybe I heard something good about the cardiology/EKG book. But really Dubin is almost a bible when it comes to EKGs, so I'm not sure it's necessary. And definatly not necessary for Block 1.

Please bare in mind that these are my suggestions/opinions. I am a student who came in with a fair amount of science background and still have my college books (which I didn't use either). My general opinion is that almost all the information you need to know is given to you in the lecture power points.

Coico, R., Sunshine, G., Benjamini, E. (2003) Immunology, A Short Course, 5th Edition, Wiley-Liss. ISBN: 0-471-22689-0 -- I did not use an immuno book, but I have some friends that found it helpful.

Moore, K. L. and Persaud, T. V. N. (2003). The Developing Human, 7th edition. W. B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia. ISBN: 0-7216-9412-8 -- Blah, don't bother. The prof's notes are great

Turnpenny, P. and Ellard, S. (2005). Emery’s Elements of Medical Genetics, 12th edition. Churchill Livingston, Edinburgh, UK. ISBN 0443100454 -- blah, don't bother. THe prof's notes are great

Young, B., Lowe, J., Stevens, A. and Heath, J.W. (2006). Wheater’s Functional Histology, 5th edition. Churchill Livingston, Edinburgh, UK. ISBN: 0-443-06850-X -- personal opinion is don't bother, but some ppl said they liked the book for the pictures (there are slides on your tests)

Smith, Marks and Lieberman (2004). Basic Medical Biochemistry, 2nd edition,. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins. ISBN 0-7817-2145-8 -- the biochem prof is great, I think there is no need for the book

Marks, Dawn, (1998). Board Review Series Biochemistry, 3rd edition. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkens. ISBN 0-683-30491-7 -- ooOOoo BRS, consider getting this book

Murray, P.R, Pfaller, M.A. and Rosenthal, K.S. (2005). Medical Microbiology, 5th ed. Mosby Pub. ISBN 0-323-03303-2 -- get the Micro Made Ridiculously Simple instead

American Medical Association (2004). Code of Medical Ethics: Current Opinions with Annotations, 2004-2005. ISBN 1-57947-561-2 -- worthless stupid book; however, there is a new ethics person. I still say don't buy it till you KNOW you have to. Otherwise, there's a copy in the library

Swartz, M. (2006). Textbook of Physical Diagnosis, 5th edition. Elsevier Publishing. ISBN 13 9781416003076 -- I heard there was a new book for you all; this is it. So I don't know.

Ward, R.C. Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine, 2nd ed. (2003). Lippencott, Williams and Wilkens. ISBN 0-7817-3497-5 -- worthless stupid book. Maybe (and that's a really big maybe) it will be useful for rotations, but if there's a reading assignment (I think we read the first chapters on the history of osteopathy) get it from the library.

Hope that helps. Let me/us know if you have any other questions.

I would suggest buying your books used. That way if you find out you dont like them or dont use them you will only lose a small amount of money.

I personally like the books. But I guess I am more of a geek than my classmate LMG is ;) :cool:

I sold all mine but have classmates that are moving and looking to sell theirs. Here is the web page we set up. Prices are cheap. There are a few anatomy ones you will need for block 2. ROHEN is a MUST for anatomy lab and to prepare for the practical.. Just my opinion of course :)

http://www.picturetrail.com/medschoolmama08

I am sure I want the Biochem book and the BRS biochem book. Any 2nd or 3rd year students that want to sell their books?

Actually these are the exact books I'm looking for:

**The Developing Human, 7th edition. W. B.

**Wheater’s Functional Histology, 5th edition.

**Board Review Series Biochemistry, 3rd edition.

**Textbook of Physical Diagnosis, 5th edition

Does anyone know when the schedule of classes comes out for the first block?

gyme said:
Does anyone know when the schedule of classes comes out for the first block?

They sent it to us last week I believe. Check your VCOM email.

Jonathan

We still have one book left for block 1. It is the immuno book and the person is selling it for $30. Great condition and that is 20 cheaper than it is new. Just PM or email me.

I am just going to throw this out there, but would anyone be interested in going to the river that saturday or sunday(19th and 20th) after orientation week? This all depends on if VCOM has anything planned for us on the weekend.

Congrats all you guys! I hope your first week has not killed you with being board out of your mind. I agree with all of the peopes comments on books. I didn't use anyexcept for the histo and immuno books. Relax and do not do a thing this weekend. It all starts on monday, but even then it is pretty easy. DO NOT overstudy, have fun and take it easy this first block. The sh*& hits the fan once the end of Nov rolls around :) Any ?'s, pm me!