***Official VCOM Class of 2010***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VaGirl82

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to everyone joining the Class of 2010! I just got my acceptance to VCOM, and it is hands down my #1 choice. I look forward to meeting everyone in August!

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my acceptance to VCOM, and while I'm not 100% sure, I will most likely be joining you next year! I absolutely loved the school when I interviewed there, so I'm nearly positive I'll choose to go there. I'm starting to look for some housing, so if any girls out there are looking for a roomate starting in August 2006, let me know! I'd love to live in the complex right across from the campus (The Crossing at Knollwood), but wherever would be great. =) Congrats to you all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Woo hoo! Congratulations everyone! Is there a reason only girls are posting under this thread? Got an acceptance as well here. But got a couple of more interviews although I was very impressed with the atmosphere there and the friendly people.

Amy, is the gross lab and library have 24 hr access or do you have to try to get all your work in by a certain hour? I heard somewhere that the whole building closes down at a certain time. Thanks in advance.

:clap: :clap: Congrats waitingfor2010

Goat, the building is open till midnight I think. That was changed from 8pm so that is good. There just wasn't enough flow after midnight to justify someone on staff being in th building. However the great thing about our affiliation with Va Tech is that you can use the library and buildings at the Tech campus if you want to study after midnight. I haven't but I know people who go there in the evenings.

I found that I had plenty of time to go into the gross anatomy lab during building hours. To be quite honest I learned more from Rohen (the lab textbook) then I did from going into the lab after lab class hours. I actually only went in there 4 times the whole year after lab class hours. But others in my class went in there more than that. I will just depend on your style of learning.

Hey guys,

Just got my call today, I'm pretty stoked about the possibility of going to VCOM. I'm fairly sure I'm going to end up in Blacksburg, so I might as well ask some questions. How do you feel about the block schedule Amy? What kind of lecture hours do you have (average?) versus independent study and lab time. What do you think of the large classroom lectures versus small group learning? Also, when was the first time you stepped into a clinic to get a little experience? Lastly, what do you think has changed the most since you've been there, since it's a fairly new school? Do they have board preparation material (ie Kaplan) available or included with the education? Yea, I'm barraging you with questions, I think I'm just excited. Even so, I don't know how I am going to cheer for the Hokies....at least there's a BW3s in Blacksburg, I miss their happy hours and their Caribbean Jerk wings. Yum.

Well, congrats... :thumbup:
I guess I will answer these, although anytime my classmates want to jump in and take these is fine with me. I dont want everyone to get input from me only. I am biased ;) :p

I like the block schedule and the systems based learning. I like how all teh courses tie in with each other throughout the blocks. Class hours will vary with each block. Like now we are in class on average Monday through Thursday 8:30 - 3:30, but some days we are out by 1:30 and tuesdays can run until 5:30 since that is OMM/PPC lab. Friday's in teh second year are early clinical and clinical skills lab days. This block is not every friday so that is good. We are going to the nursing homes on one of those fridays and are in teh skills lab on another one. This skills lab is the suturing lab, which is fun.

I have been volunteerig at the free clinics for 11 months now so I am in a clinical setting throughout the month. We did go a few ties to the VA and or nursing homes last year, but the big clinical push is this MSII year. But that said. as with the clinic, there are opportunities to go places. We have been able to volunteer to go to the Va Tech football games and work in the first aid rooms. That is a blast. We have had people volunteer to go on medical missions out of the country as well as an opportunity to go to a rural setting with a RAM, which stands for remote area medical corp. Here is the link http://www.ramusa.org/ The list goes on.....

I like the large learning verses small group learning, but that is a personal preference. As to what has changed the most other than us getting closer to graduation,... hhmmm i would have to say the lectures have improved greatly from what the MSIIIs. VCOM has us fill out quality assessments after each class is over. They do listen to suggestions.

They are purchasing Qbank for us and we are to have access to it before Christmas and will have it till the boards.

Does that help you? Good luck with your choice. I love VCOM. Do I love everything....NO, but nothing is 100% perfect and you have to make do with things you cant change or things you dont like.

Amy
jsmittyund03 said:
Hey guys,

Just got my call today, I'm pretty stoked about the possibility of going to VCOM. I'm fairly sure I'm going to end up in Blacksburg, so I might as well ask some questions. How do you feel about the block schedule Amy? What kind of lecture hours do you have (average?) versus independent study and lab time. What do you think of the large classroom lectures versus small group learning? Also, when was the first time you stepped into a clinic to get a little experience? Lastly, what do you think has changed the most since you've been there, since it's a fairly new school? Do they have board preparation material (ie Kaplan) available or included with the education? Yea, I'm barraging you with questions, I think I'm just excited. Even so, I don't know how I am going to cheer for the Hokies....at least there's a BW3s in Blacksburg, I miss their happy hours and their Caribbean Jerk wings. Yum.

What don't you like? Thanks so much Amy, you've been a great help.

Jonathan

Amy B said:
I guess I will answer these, although anytime my classmates want to jump in and take these is fine with me. I dont want everyone to get input from me only. I am biased ;) :p

I like the block schedule and the systems based learning. I like how all teh courses tie in with each other throughout the blocks. Class hours will vary with each block. Like now we are in class on average Monday through Thursday 8:30 - 3:30, but some days we are out by 1:30 and tuesdays can run until 5:30 since that is OMM/PPC lab. Friday's in teh second year are early clinical and clinical skills lab days. This block is not every friday so that is good. We are going to the nursing homes on one of those fridays and are in teh skills lab on another one. This skills lab is the suturing lab, which is fun.

I have been volunteerig at the free clinics for 11 months now so I am in a clinical setting throughout the month. We did go a few ties to the VA and or nursing homes last year, but the big clinical push is this MSII year. But that said. as with the clinic, there are opportunities to go places. We have been able to volunteer to go to the Va Tech football games and work in the first aid rooms. That is a blast. We have had people volunteer to go on medical missions out of the country as well as an opportunity to go to a rural setting with a RAM, which stands for remote area medical corp. Here is the link http://www.ramusa.org/ The list goes on.....

I like the large learning verses small group learning, but that is a personal preference. As to what has changed the most other than us getting closer to graduation,... hhmmm i would have to say the lectures have improved greatly from what the MSIIIs. VCOM has us fill out quality assessments after each class is over. They do listen to suggestions.

They are purchasing Qbank for us and we are to have access to it before Christmas and will have it till the boards.

Does that help you? Good luck with your choice. I love VCOM. Do I love everything....NO, but nothing is 100% perfect and you have to make do with things you cant change or things you dont like.

Amy

Amy B said:

Amy

What do you mean by "systems based"? Like, how is it systems based?

Richmond? Nice, I have a good friend who lives up in the "Fan." When I visited, we went some shoddy bar called Tiki Bob's? Interesting crowd there, but I loved Richmond.

J-Smitty

VaGirl82 said:

yeah Tiki Bob's has a weird crowd sometimes, depending on the night you go. If you come to RIC again, you should check out Tobacco Company or Rich Brau. There's a good mix of college kids (undergrads and grads) and professionals. I'm gonna miss Richmond come August :( but I can't wait for Blacksburg!

Members don't see this ad :)
jsmittyund03 - what dont I like?? Hhhmmm I guess this week that would be the mandatory attendence policy. This week is not a good week to ask me about anything. Pharm exam in 3 days is freaking me out :scared:

Ravenfeather - by system based I mean in any certain block you are working on one or 2 systems. So in Physio you will be talking about neuro and in anatomy you will be going over the neuro system and in PPC (principles of primary care) you will learn neuro exams and in CCC (clinical case correlations) you are going over cases pertaining to neurology...system based. This is compared to other schools that may be doing neuro in physio and muscles in anatomy and something totally different in the other classes adn then at the end of your year you will have to tie it all together on your own. SO that is why I LOVE the systems based learning.

Hey....just wanted to ask if anyone had looked into housing options yet and where you think you might end up living. I'm thinking about the townhomes across the street from VCOM...but the rent is a bit steep. Anybody else looking or thinking about it?

VaGirl82 said:
Hey....just wanted to ask if anyone had looked into housing options yet and where you think you might end up living. I'm thinking about the townhomes across the street from VCOM...but the rent is a bit steep. Anybody else looking or thinking about it?

Yea, but Christiansburg keeps looking better and better. It would be sweet to be in walking distance though.

VaGirl82 said:

I am definitely looking at the places right across the street....I would LOVE to be able to just walk there or run home and grab lunch. I put my name on the housing list that VCOM puts out, but it seems like it's going to be at least a few weeks until it really gets going. Anyway, let me know if you have any more thoughts on housing you guys!

I just got my acceptance phone call today and VCOM is my #1 choice. I will be sending in my deposit when I get my paperwork and look forward to meeting everyong in August.

cyclegirl said:
I just got my acceptance phone call today and VCOM is my #1 choice. I will be sending in my deposit when I get my paperwork and look forward to meeting everyong in August.

Congrats!

cyclegirl said:

I got my call yesterday (12/7) after interviewing on 11/17. Were you there then for your interview; I thought we had a good group.

The only thing I'm not looking forward to (coming from Louisiana) is the winter weather. But after interviewing elsewhere, VCOM is hands-down the best place. Is snow that white stuff that comes from the sky?

trinityalumnus, I interviewed on 11/17 also. You must of been the Navy guy. I am the one with my mother in the Navy. I look forward to seeing you in August and yes snow is the white stuff that falls from the sky, HAHA.

cyclegirl said:
trinityalumnus, I interviewed on 11/17 also. You must of been the Navy guy. I am the one with my mother in the Navy. I look forward to seeing you in August and yes snow is the white stuff that falls from the sky, HAHA.

Yep ... and congrats! :thumbup:

Snow = ice = my car in the ditch. :eek:

Congrats to both of you on your acceptance! I look forward to meeting you in August :D

VaGirl82 said:
Congratulations to everyone joining the Class of 2010! I just got my acceptance to VCOM, and it is hands down my #1 choice. I look forward to meeting everyone in August!

How long did it take for the packet to hit your mailbox? Cyclegirl and I both interviewed on 11/17 and got THE call on 12/7. Neither of us have received anything in the mail yet.

Just curious, not worried (yet).

No big deal, you should get it any day. It's not even a packet, really, just a letter saying, "send us money." I think the good stuff doesn't come for a few weeks. Just call if you get concerned. Congrats on the acceptances people. Any of you on the roommate listserv? I'm trying to test the waters and see what's available for what prices in Blacksburg/Christiansburg.

J

trinityalumnus said:
How long did it take for the packet to hit your mailbox? Cyclegirl and I both interviewed on 11/17 and got THE call on 12/7. Neither of us have received anything in the mail yet.

Just curious, not worried (yet).

Of course, my packet arrived the very next day after I posted the above. :rolleyes: Cyclegirl, watch out for yours.

Any of you live far from Virginia and are going to travel to Blacksburg to find an apartment? I live in WA and am not sure how to approach the apartment search.

Hey Guys,

I'm a VT undergrad...hoping to become a VCOM student. Just got called today and have an interview Jan. 12th! Very excited!!

Anyway, here is a link to an apartment guide that VT gives as a link to its students.

http://www.apt-guide.com/nrv/frameset.html

I would suggest staying away from some big undergrad places like Foxridge, Terrace View, etc unless you are placed in the Graduate sections. I actually live off of South Main Street, which I would suggest because it is much more quiet and there are more grad students and familys and its closer to VCOM. The apartments that are across from VCOM are really nice I've heard but also cost a little bit more.

Hope to see you guys next fall!

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.w that I have been accepted as well and I look forward to meeting all of you very soon. By the way, if any guy is looking for a roommate please email me at [email protected] or you can pm me on sdn. Mark

I just received my acceptance phone call yesterday 12/22 and am psyched about 2010. My visit to Blacksburg was great and I cant wait to start in August. Out of all of the different schools that I have visited, VCOM felt like "home" from the minute I got there. Other than a laptop, is there any other equipment that needs to be purchased as an MSI?

See you all in August!

ER_DO2B said:
I just received my acceptance phone call yesterday 12/22 and am psyched about 2010. My visit to Blacksburg was great and I cant wait to start in August. Out of all of the different schools that I have visited, VCOM felt like "home" from the minute I got there. Other than a laptop, is there any other equipment that needs to be purchased as an MSI?

See you all in August!

Congrats ... I know what you mean about "felt at home" comment. I had the same thoughts after other interviews elsewhere.

I was surfing around the VCOM website and apparently our tuition includes anatomy dissection kit, scrubs, embroidered student lab coat, etc. I couldn't find any equipment requirements other than the laptop.

After you send in your seat deposit, Megan (admissions director) will start sending more info emails to you. One email recommends reading the student handbook, which includes the requirement for professional attire both in class and on clinicals. After working in the OR and having a wardrobe consisting, essentially, of different colored scrubs it looks like I'll be buying several sets of nice pants and collared shirts. What this? ... under the student clinical section, they mention shirt and tie are required on rotation other than in OR and ER. What the heck is a neck tie? Man's self-imposed torture mechanism.

trinityalumnus said:
What the heck is a neck tie? Man's self-imposed torture mechanism.

Like women's panty hose...self imposed torture device :laugh:

You dont need anything except laptop. You can chose to buy books, and extra scubs if you choose. But nothing else is needed in your first year.

Congrats to all and Merry Christmas

Hi everyone-

VCOM is my first choice for school, and I will hopefully be posting as a newly-admitted student just a few weeks from now.

I'm scheduled to interview in early January, and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions regarding the interview day.

Two specific questions-

How long is it taking people to get admission decisions? I've seen some people find out a week later, where others find out three (or more) weeks later. What are the current response times?

Also, this is my first med school interview and I am trying to decide what to wear. While this isn't a major concern, I don't want to show up either way over/under dressed. Suit? Pressed pants and jacket? What do most male interviewees wear?

Thanks in advance... :)

mbuscherjr said:
Hi everyone-

VCOM is my first choice for school, and I will hopefully be posting as a newly-admitted student just a few weeks from now.

I'm scheduled to interview in early January, and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions regarding the interview day.

Two specific questions-

How long is it taking people to get admission decisions? I've seen some people find out a week later, where others find out three (or more) weeks later. What are the current response times?

Also, this is my first med school interview and I am trying to decide what to wear. While this isn't a major concern, I don't want to show up either way over/under dressed. Suit? Pressed pants and jacket? What do most male interviewees wear?

Normally the admissions committee meets within 10 days of the interview, unless the holidays interfere (which delayed my committee meeting by one week). The admissions office calls with the good news by the next afternoon.

Attire: this is a professional school atmosphere. You will never go wrong wearing a conservative business suit, or subdued coat and tie. Consider it a job interview - better safe than sorry.

mbuscherjr said:
Hi everyone-

Two specific questions-

Good luck with your interviews. There are a couple of things that I found helpful in preparing for each of mine.

First, I read a book called " The D.O.'s" which is a real short book (140+/-) pages that details the history of osteopathic medicine. This book was a great reference in two of my interview questions.

Second, I read through the different posts on the Medical School Interview Feedback forum. This provided insight on the types of questions to expect as well as read through feedback from others that have already interviewed.

I would definitely wear a conservative suit and tie to the interview as you never know who you might be interviewing with. Remember, there is no second chance in making a first impression.

Good luck in January!

Anyone planning on attending Accepted Students Day in April?

ER_DO2B said:
Anyone planning on attending Accepted Students Day in April?

Absolutely, they finalize the date yet? Has anyone else setup their email accounts through school yet? Also, anyone trying to go HPSP? I'm in the process of applying to Air Force and Army right now, but still uncertain about it due to some negativity expressed in these forums. Any thoughts?

J

jsmittyund03 said:
Absolutely, they finalize the date yet? Has anyone else setup their email accounts through school yet? Also, anyone trying to go HPSP? I'm in the process of applying to Air Force and Army right now, but still uncertain about it due to some negativity expressed in these forums. Any thoughts?

J

I was an enlisted guy for a while. I love the military so I will be biased. It is a great way to go. However, you want to do it for the love-of-country, and a sense of duty, not for what you can get financially out of it. There is a lot more money to be made on the outside if you do anything outside of primary care, and in all liklihood you will be miserable if you do it for the financial reason. I know plenty of military physicians who either love it or hate it but many of them agree on one thing: Don't do it for the money. If you plan on primary care then the military scholarship is way worth the price tag because the salaries and benefits are commensurate with their civilian counterparts, and you have no loans after 4 years like you will in the civilian world. But if you plan to specialize then you can make more on the outside and pay off your student loans.

BTW, congrats on VCOM. It is a great school.

jsmittyund03 said:

J

I have had several friends that looked into HPSP and all decided against it. The main reason is the way the military views your internship/residency at times of need. I have heard that once you finish your internship, you can be called to active duty, thus postponing any plans that you may have for your residency.

I have had a local Army recruiter call several times, and still has not answered my question about being called out of your residency in a time of war or threat to national security.

I also have a friend that is an Ortho surgeon that was called up and had to leave his $1MM+ per year practice in order to go to Afghanistan for nearly 18 months.

I would agree, that HPSP would be appropriate only for non-financial reasons. Just my 2 cents worth. I have nothing but respect for the military, but just dont see it as a viable way for me to avoid the debt associated with med school.

I will not be attending the accepted students day because I live on the other side of the country, otherwise I would love to go.

I too am applying for the HPSP scholarship with the Navy. Like others have said the fact that they will be paying for school should not be a main consideration for applying. You have to really want to be in the military otherwise you will regret it. In regards to being pulled out of your residency think of it this way, you are in the military to fill the needs of your country. If orders come for you to sacrifice a part of your life (putting your training on hold) than you need to be ready to do that. If you would not be willing to go and help as a DR to care for the men and women fighting to protect this country then do not apply for this scholarship, it is part of the deal. My $0.02.

cyclegirl said:
I will not be attending the accepted students day because I live on the other side of the country, otherwise I would love to go.

I too am applying for the HPSP scholarship with the Navy. Like others have said the fact that they will be paying for school should not be a main consideration for applying. You have to really want to be in the military otherwise you will regret it. In regards to being pulled out of your residency think of it this way, you are in the military to fill the needs of your country. If orders come for you to sacrifice a part of your life (putting your training on hold) than you need to be ready to do that. If you would not be willing to go and help as a DR to care for the men and women fighting to protect this country then do not apply for this scholarship, it is part of the deal. My $0.02.

I thought a lot about applying, in fact, I applied to the Air Force OCS out of undergrad just as the Feds were downsizing the military so I thought it may not be a good time. Having grown up in a military town and attending high school on the Air Force Academy, I think the military is a great opportunity. The only thing holding me back is I am a non-trad with two small children. Otherwise, I would likely be right there with ya.

Good luck with your application!

I've noticed many people have said they received a phone call to find out their acceptance. VCOM said they would send out letters....does anyone know the normal procedure?

Hopefullocal said:
I've noticed many people have said they received a phone call to find out their acceptance. VCOM said they would send out letters....does anyone know the normal procedure?

I received a phone call which was followed by a letter a few days later.

At the end of my interview Megan told us that we would find out by snail mail but then she started laughing and said who is she kidding she will call those accepted the day the board meets. I got a call the day she said the board would meet but it was not by Megan. Good Luck

For all those who have been accepted to VCOM, what time appox. did you receive your phone calls? Also, I have class until late in the afternoon on the day that the committee meets, and I'm afraid that I will miss the call. Will they leave a message on your answering machine? Thanks in advance!!!

QCOM2006 said:
For all those who have been accepted to VCOM, what time appox. did you receive your phone calls? Also, I have class until late in the afternoon on the day that the committee meets, and I'm afraid that I will miss the call. Will they leave a message on your answering machine? Thanks in advance!!!

If they're still meeting at the same time of day as they did in October, then it should be an evening call (but then it could depend on the order you are in the list and how many calls she's making). I got mine around 7:00. She will leave you a message to call her back if she doesn't get through to you. So if you hear any kind of message from Megan, then like she said, "I won't call you if it's not an acceptance. That would be mean." Good luck! :luck:

Just curious if anyone knows how I could purchase a VCOM t-shirt or sweatshirt?

I like the blacksburg Mill to live what you guys think.
Is it a good place or not?
Looking forward to see you all.

Approximately how long does VCOM give students to pay the acceptance fee?