***Official VCOM Class of 2010***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
QCOM2006 said:
Approximately how long does VCOM give students to pay the acceptance fee?

I think it is 10 days.

Members don't see this ad.

QCOM2006 said:
Approximately how long does VCOM give students to pay the acceptance fee?

Two weeks

Hey Guys,

Just got my call last night! I'll be joining the rest of you in the fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
VTbarrelracer said:
Hey Guys,

congratulaion.
see you at VCOM
you will be your guide for VT because you know it more than us. :thumbup:

see you soon

VTbarrelracer said:
Hey Guys,

Congratulations on your acceptance!

VTbarrelracer said:
Hey Guys,

VTbarrelracer,
Congrats on your acceptance! I have a quick question for ya (since you are a local). What is the big, most popular Credit Union in Blacksburg? Is Freedom First a good one? Thanks!

BayRunner said:
VTbarrelracer,
Congrats on your acceptance! I have a quick question for ya (since you are a local). What is the big, most popular Credit Union in Blacksburg? Is Freedom First a good one? Thanks!

Thanks!

I actually have no idea. Sorry!

VTbarrelracer said:
Hey Guys,

I got accepted on the 25th as well. What day did you interview?

For those that have not started looking for a laptop, I ordered mine using the bundle option available through the VCOM/Dell EPP site. I just received mine in the mail the other day and am very happy with it.

Happy shopping and see you all in August!

QCOM2006 said:
I got accepted on the 25th as well. What day did you interview?

I interviewed on the 12th of Jan.

ER_DO2B said:
For those that have not started looking for a laptop, I ordered mine using the bundle option available through the VCOM/Dell EPP site. I just received mine in the mail the other day and am very happy with it.

Happy shopping and see you all in August!
what about buying the laptop from VT?

I just wanted to say congrats to you all. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Please use this time to get things in order with your lives, to visit all your family members, to watch mindless TV, to travel, to just relax.. It is a bumpy ride once you start so you need to enjoy this free time while you still have it. Good luck :cool:

Has anyone else received definite, specific information on Accepted Student Day? As of January 31 I haven't received any email, snail mail, phone call, etc, with any info. And the 2010 class site still only says "sometime in April."

Yet apparently some folks have knowledge of it's specific date.

What's the word??

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we send the application for the background check to VCOM or do we send it to the company doing the check? Thanks!

QCOM2006 said:
Do we send the application for the background check to VCOM or do we send it to the company doing the check? Thanks!

You send the application and the fee directly to the agency doing the check.

Congradulations Class of 2010! I have an housing option for anyone interested. Just let me know.

Male or Female Roommates Needed:
I have two bedrooms in a furnished 2000 sq ft, 3 floor, 4 bedroom, townhouse in Hethwood, Blacksburg (10 mins from VCOM) available for rent. Townhouse has 2 full and 2 half bathrooms, 2 living rooms, 1 dining room, kitchen, new full size washer and dryer, gas grill, gas fireplace, electric stove, microwave, dishwasher, and other kitchen amenities. The townhouse has gas heat, electric air conditioning, cable TV and wireless internet. I am a female in the class of 2008 female and will soon be out on rotations. I would prefer non-smoking roommates and w/o pets, since I have two adorable and very lazy indoor cats. Rent is $350/mo plus 1/3 utilities. Contact Lisa, [email protected].

cyclegirl said:
Just curious if anyone knows how I could purchase a VCOM t-shirt or sweatshirt?

Hey Cyclegirl

One of the main fundraisers for VCOM clubs is to sell VCOM stuff. So yes VCOM shirts are available in the bookstore (which actually the only store I know of too, but I haven't really looked), but before you go all out you might want to see what the clubs have. There are usually lots of t-shirts, coffee mugs, etc to choose from at various times during the year.

trinityalumnus said:
Has anyone else received definite, specific information on Accepted Student Day? As of January 31 I haven't received any email, snail mail, phone call, etc, with any info. And the 2010 class site still only says "sometime in April."

Yet apparently some folks have knowledge of it's specific date.

What's the word??

The accepted students day is scheduled for April 22. The registrar should be sending you a letter with the information along with your vcom email account information and vaccination requirements. It took my info around 3-4 weeks after submitting the seat deposit to arrive. Depending on when you submitted your information, you may want to contact the school to see if yours has been sent yet.

I am now looking into getting health insurance. Does anyone know which of the recommended insurances on the VCOM site is the best?? Thanks

I wanted to let you all know for the folks wanting to get a VCOM shirt... Mr Bill King said if you call him, he can help you get one before you get here if you want one. He will be able to give you more details... So just give him a call.

Which apartments on south main street should I call about renting and what are the phone numbers???

cyclegirl said:
Which apartments on south main street should I call about renting and what are the phone numbers???

I personally am looking at Hilltop Terrace and Lantern Ridge. They are just off of South Main and prob. less then 5 minutes from VCOM by car. They both sound pretty nice and are cheaper. Hilltop is $400 for a 1 bedroom and $450 for a 2 bedroom. Lantern is $415 for a 1 bedroom and $475 for a 2 bedroom. Only drawback is that they don't have a washer/dryer in the individual apartments but they do both have central laundry fascilities.

Cedarfield apartments are just down the road and they do have individual washer/dryers in the apartments but they are more expensive; $540 for a 1 bedroom and $660 for a 2 bedroom.

You can read about them and get the phone numbers from the following website:
http://www.apt-guide.com/nrv/frameset.html

You are going to find your time quite limited and are not going to want to spend time carrying laundry around... Keep that in mind when you are looking into places to rent.. Also rememember to keep checking the want ads on the vcom student site as well as the announcements. Sublets are becoming available since we just got our rotation sites.

http://www.vcomstudent.com/index.php
http://www.vcomstudent.com/announcements/

Hey everyone.
I signed a lease with Cedarfield. My total rent for a 1BR is $575. I do like it because it has lots of emenities (dishwasher, W/D, central air, gas) It is the cheapest place I found that included all those. It is a pricey, but a little better than Knollwood and The Crossings ($650+ for the same, except those are right next to school!)

But hey, I live in Michigan and signed a lease without actually visiting places. They didn't give me much thinking time, I had to sign the lease ASAP and I took a gamble. I have a real cheap car payment and I've saved a bunch over the last few years, so I decided I may as well spend some extra on living. I guess. Maybe. Hopefully I won't regret it. :idea:

I also took a gamble on SOMA insurance. :scared: I hope I am right on that decision. I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Michigan now, and was going to go with Blue Cross Anthem in VA. Suprisingly, BCBS-MI and BCBS-Anthem are not compatible, so I couldn't easily switch regions. Also, they would'nt answer any of my questions over the phone and they were rude... so SOMA insurance it is! So far they have sent me a good amount of detailed information and seem to be efficient with their processes and paper work; tedious, but which is what I like.

I tried to be the most thorough I can be for living so far away. But, I wouldn't recommend following my footsteps! I don't need a guilty conscience if things go wrong!

-Ryan

I just rented a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment at Cedarfield apartments and need a female roommate. There is a full size washer and dryer in the apartment and it is 2 miles from campus. The rent will be $375.50 a month plus 1/2 the utilities and 1/2 the security deposit. If you are interested please PM me.

Can anyone give me an idea of what living at 'The Crossing at Knollwood' is like?? The leasing manager told me that there is no graduate/professional section of the development, but that the entire complex is generally quiet. Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated...

I do not know if you know this but they do not have any one bedrooms left for next year and their two bedrooms are $800+. When I was there they seemed really quite, other than that I am not sure.

I posted this once before but I wanted it to be on the current page.

I rented a two bedroom two bath apartment at Cedarfield Apartments and need a female roommate. It is only 2 miles from campus and is in a quite graduate area. It is a newer complex and has a fullsize washer and dryer in the unit. The rent will be $357.50 a month plus 1/2 the utilities. Please send me a PM if you are interested.

Well I just got rejected. yay for me. here were my stats:

Want to practice in NC
3.65 GPA
26 MCAT
4 research publications
Office manager at doctors office (1.5yrs)
Mission trip to 3rd world country (4 months)

After all my hard work I couldn't get in. I thought the interview went so well and I was generally getting good vibes. Oh well I REALLY wanted to get into NOVA and I'll find out from them this week.

smaroof said:

Want to practice in NC
3.65 GPA
26 MCAT
4 research publications

After all my hard work I couldn't get in. I thought the interview went so well and I was generally getting good vibes. Oh well I REALLY wanted to get into NOVA and I'll find out from them this week.

As others have said, the entire application process is a subjective crap-shoot. I know that doesn't make you personally feel better and I can understand your confusion and angst, especially considering your stats and background. Maybe it was just the way the stars were aligned on your interview day and that your interviewers' biorhythms weren't in sync with yours.

You'll get in somewhere with those stats. And Nova is much warmer than VCOM. I hate snow.

Good luck and don't worry. Some school wants you.

smaroof said:

Want to practice in NC
3.65 GPA
26 MCAT
4 research publications

I am sorry things didnt work out for you at VCOM. You can call and ask to speak to Megan Price and she can give you an indication as to why you were rejected and how you can improve your application. I would encourage you to do that. I hope things work out for you elsewhere. Good luck

Anybody going to Accepted Student Day?

Anybody heard when orientation starts in August - my wonderful and supportive employer has requested as much advance notification as possible, regarding my last day of work.

Thanks.

trinityalumnus said:
Anybody going to Accepted Student Day?

Anybody heard when orientation starts in August - my wonderful and supportive employer has requested as much advance notification as possible, regarding my last day of work.

Thanks.
I am going to the accepted day on 4/22
and I believe the orientation start on 8/15
see you there.

JO300 said:
I am going to the accepted day on 4/22
and I believe the orientation start on 8/15
see you there.

Does anyone know if Accepted Day is an RSVP occasion? I'd assume so, but haven't heard anything yet.

BayRunner said:
Does anyone know if Accepted Day is an RSVP occasion? I'd assume so, but haven't heard anything yet.
They did not ask us to call. but they said they will send us more information soon.

I might come to the accepted students day. I might be riding horses though at an endurance competition though. Either way, lots of fun and excitement!

VTbarrelracer said:
Hey Guys,

What were your stats? What type of interview questions were you asked?

smaroof said:

Want to practice in NC
3.65 GPA
26 MCAT
4 research publications

I feel your agony...I was rejected also after a wonderful interview, but your stats were great...it makes you wonder...let me know what happens with other schools.

If anyone does not mind, can you please post your stats?

drjds said:
If anyone does not mind, can you please post your stats?

Well, I had a 3.48 science GPA and a 3.6 overall. I am biochemistry major. I had a 28P Mcat. I'm also a VT undergrad, from a town with a population < 5000 that’s in southwest VA in the Appalachian mtns. I made sure to emphasize that I am a rural small town girl and am planning on staying in similar settings during the interview. I had some shadowing, nursing home volunteer hours, and was involved in several organizations. I had also done some things that were hosted by VCOM, like an Arthritis walk.

Has anyone received their Financial Aid Award Packet yet? I completed my FAFSA about a month ago, but haven't heard any word.

Am I jumping the gun? Is it way to early?

I was wondering the same thing. Does anyone know when we will get our award letters?

I finally got my first interview at VCOM, my top choice! Because it is so late in the cycle, I want to do amazing in my interview.
I know you all have already been interviewed at VCOM, could you please give some tips? I want to be as prepared as possible! Thanks!

Hey,

I'm a first year (soon to be second year) student actually living at Cedarfield. It is the best deal in town, and also a very convenient place to live. The police do radar Ellett Rd heavily during the mornings, though. My wife got a speeding ticket there the second week that we lived here.

Jared

kjaredhess said:
Hey,

I'm a first year (soon to be second year) student actually living at Cedarfield. It is the best deal in town, and also a very convenient place to live. The police do radar Ellett Rd heavily during the mornings, though. My wife got a speeding ticket there the second week that we lived here.

Jared

Don't you hate how they sit in the humane society parking lot and do that? Very annoying.

VTbarrelracer said:
Don't you hate how they sit in the humane society parking lot and do that? Very annoying.

Oh no, I am living in Cedarfield next year and I am a warp-speed driver. You would have thought I've learned my lesson after numerous tickets, but i seriously think my cars sole purpose is to time travel and I can't help it... anyone know a VA cop maybe I can become friends with?

BayRunner said:
Has anyone received their Financial Aid Award Packet yet? I completed my FAFSA about a month ago, but haven't heard any word.

Am I jumping the gun? Is it way to early?

Thought I would follow up to see if anyone has received their award letter yet? I received an email a couple of weeks ago saying that they would be sent soon. I also noticed that award letters were going to be discussed on accepted students day.

Has anyone started the official orientation count down yet?

ER_DO2B said:
Thought I would follow up to see if anyone has received their award letter yet? I received an email a couple of weeks ago saying that they would be sent soon. I also noticed that award letters were going to be discussed on accepted students day.

Has anyone started the official orientation count down yet?

I haven't received anything yet either. I would start the official countdown but I hate the anticipation/nervousness/anxiety that comes with it. I just want to get started so I can settle down!

I got an e-mail from the financial aid department and they said they were about to send out my award letter but that they had a question for me. So I would guess that if you got your forms in early that you will hear something pretty soon.

I received my award packet today, so expect yours shortly.