****Official MSUCOM Class of 2009****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
subtle1epiphany said:
I kinda wish...make that I do wish, that my last day of work was soon, the boring monotony of watching 20-30 EKGs is mind-numbing at the very least (as in, I'm running out of books to read! :scared: any suggestions are appreciated :D )

But I'll be working through May as I have no kind significant other that insists I relax. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick up hours at the hospital running around doing EKGs. While that may not seem that much better, I'll be able to see the patients, which I can't do now except answering the blasted call lights. :rolleyes:
I'm looking forward to the drive to Michigan sometime in June, hopefully it will be along with my brother. So that will likely be my only vacation.

Btw, can we have another vote on cars?
I understand that CATA is pretty good and reliable and I'll be staying at Homestead (I think about 1.5 miles from Fee Hall).
Will I be making things really difficult without a car? I have some money saved up, enough for a 10 year old Civic or something like that.
Have you guys heard anything from current MSU med students about the need for a car in the first and second years? I can't remember if we have preceptorships first year (I don't see them on the website).
Advice Appreciated!

If you live way out at homestead, then you need a car. It will take CATA 45 minutes to 1 hour to get you to school.

Members don't see this ad.

subtle1epiphany said:
REALLY!? :eek:
I thought like 15-20 minutes from Homestead to Fee Hall :confused:
It's only 3.70 miles from campus...45 minutes!?

see?
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/...ADhi7VWdEzUnnIzix0eidnZUlUoqzl9YU%2fo%3d&2ah=

CATA is :
1. Slow
2. Has to stop at 8-12 other stops between homestead and Fee, and at each stop, anywhere from 5-35 students get on/off, so the stops take a while too.

It is much faster in the spring and summer because les people ride, but in the winter, it takes a half hour just to get across campus alone.

You don't have to believe me, and I don't need mapquest to tell me where Homestead is, I have been here for over four years, I know how CATA is.

Members don't see this ad :)
medic170 said:
CATA is :
1. Slow
2. Has to stop at 8-12 other stops between homestead and Fee, and at each stop, anywhere from 5-35 students get on/off, so the stops take a while too.

It is much faster in the spring and summer because les people ride, but in the winter, it takes a half hour just to get across campus alone.

You don't have to believe me, and I don't need mapquest to tell me where Homestead is, I have been here for over four years, I know how CATA is.
I definitely believe you!
Just so surprising that it will take so long and I had hoped that I would be able to just take the bus to class on some days.
Looks like I'm going to need a car. :scared:
Thanks for the heads up, I would have moved in and then had trouble all summer!

subtle1epiphany said:
I definitely believe you!
Just so surprising that it will take so long and I had hoped that I would be able to just take the bus to class on some days.
Looks like I'm going to need a car. :scared:
Thanks for the heads up, I would have moved in and then had trouble all summer!

In fall you will be ok probably, but once the snow starts, CATA slows to a crawl.

marie337 said:
So, what is everyone doing with their last three months of life as we know it? My last day of work is Wednesday because my husband insists that I should just stay home and relax. We are going on a vacation in May and another one at the end of June. He figures it might be the last time for a while. I'm looking forward to getting started. I've had more than one dream about cadavers (I'm anxious about the whole cadaver thing).

No worries about the cadavers, I took a undergrad anatomy course and it just a tad wierd in the beginning, but everyone will reach a point where they are very comfortable in touching the cadavers (I have seen some med students who don't even use gloves!). Just think as the cadavers as kind-hearted individuals who have generously donated their bodies so we can train to become physicians and eventually heal others. I have not seen MSU's anatomy lab, but a good ventaliation system is key to not walking out of lab smelling like formaldehyde. A designated 'anatomy shirt' was worn by some people. Also, personal parts, such as hands, feet, and face are covered up, so that helps. I hope this helps reduce some of your anxiety. Don't worry, just ease into it and it will become comfortable in no time. :)

medic170 said:
In fall you will be ok probably, but once the snow starts, CATA slows to a crawl.

Hey medic170, I hope to invest in a condo about 1-2 miles from campus. Coming from Cali, I am not at all familiar with the MI winters, but is it feasible to walk to campus in stromy/snowy weather, or do most MSU students drive to campus or take CATA in winter?

Also, is it generally not a quiet housing environment close to campus or fee hall, or does it depend on the specific location? (don't want to live next to a frat house or in a noisy underg. complex)

persianbbq4u said:
Hey medic170, I hope to invest in a condo about 1-2 miles from campus. Coming from Cali, I am not at all familiar with the MI winters, but is it feasible to walk to campus in stromy/snowy weather, or do most MSU students drive to campus or take CATA in winter?

Also, is it generally not a quiet housing environment close to campus or fee hall, or does it depend on the specific location? (don't want to live next to a frat house or in a noisy underg. complex)
Hey P, where in Cali are you?
How are you planning to get to MSU? When are you leaving?

Any Cali residents, how are you figuring out the logistics of the move?

I'm hoping to be able to get a car of my own (thanks medic for the heads up on CATA :thumbup: ), and if I decide to purchase in Cali it'll be great to drive across to Michigan - spend some time visiting places on the road.

We've only got 85 days left until orientation! :eek:
So do we have the white coat ceremony at the summer orientation? Last time I called about a few things, all I got from the secretary was "I don't know" and "Talk to the Financial Aid Dept." I wonder if I can call and ask to talk to Ms. Schafer, what's the worst thing that could happen?

persianbbq4u said:

1. You are going to want a car. Our winters are a lot milder than what people say, but when it gets bad, you will not want tobe walking. MI is known for variability in weather. For example, In May the temp may be 85 Degree one day, and be 55 the next. In November, it may be sunny and 45 degree today, and 10 degrees with a foot of snow the next day. You will want a car. As an undergrad, I would say I drove to school about 25% of the time in Spring/Summer?FAll and 80% of the time in Winter. When that wind chill gets below 0, walikg is out of the question unless it is just between buildings.

2. I hope you find a condo, but realize that in east lansing you are looking at double to triple the usual real estate rate. Honestly, you would be better off renting since you may have to leave third year.

3. Anywhere within a mile of campus will be noisy. I am very familiar with the local housing, so if yo uwant to ask about a specific complex I can help. Most grad/prof students live in okemos or northern East Lansing, like where subtle is going to live. Briarcliff, where I am going, has very nice townhomes 2 bed with full basement for under 800

marie337 said:
So, what is everyone doing with their last three months of life as we know it? My last day of work is Wednesday because my husband insists that I should just stay home and relax. We are going on a vacation in May and another one at the end of June. He figures it might be the last time for a while. I'm looking forward to getting started. I've had more than one dream about cadavers (I'm anxious about the whole cadaver thing).

Hawaii for two months-leaving pretty soon, then I'm off to Costa Rica for a month. I get back here just in time for orientation...

yposhelley said:
Hawaii for two months-leaving pretty soon, then I'm off to Costa Rica for a month. I get back here just in time for orientation...

Wow! That sounds amazing! Are you doing volunteer work or something? I'm going a little stir crazy waiting for July. I've had a few months off and I'm ready to start now. I actually had a dream that I was working on a cadaver the other night.

yposhelley said:

Which island(s) are you going to? I spent a week on Oahu last summer and it was awesome. Snorkelling @ Hanauma Bay was one of the funnest things I've ever done. Whether or not you've been to Hawai'i before, I'm sure you'll have a blast. Someday I def. want to go back and see the other islands.

I'm still making plans for my Out West trip this summer. I'll be spending 2 weeks out there, starting with (I was just informed of this) a 13hr drive to the Badlands in one day. I'm looking forward to seeing Mt Rushmore, the Black Hills, Yellowstone and Glacier Nat'l Park, but not to the crazy driving. I sure hope our truck doesn't break down!

That's the only big plan I have before classes start...other than that, I'm going to try to make a little money before I have to quit work in July

later, raDiOnut

Members don't see this ad :)
marie337 said:
Wow! That sounds amazing! Are you doing volunteer work or something? I'm going a little stir crazy waiting for July. I've had a few months off and I'm ready to start now. I actually had a dream that I was working on a cadaver the other night.

I have a feeling you'll get used to it, don't worry :D

No, I'm not doing volunteer work, I'm just going 'home' for a few months. I had to move to Michigan last August in order to get residency status, before that I lived in Hawaii for 6 years. My so and I have a house there and a taro farm...this will be my last chance to work as a farmer for god knows how long...

raDiOnut said:
Which island(s) are you going to?

later, raDiOnut

The Big Island (Hawaii Island).

yposhelley said:
The Big Island (Hawaii Island).

That's pretty cool! What is taro used for (other than poi)? If you don't mind me asking, how large is your taro farm?

raDiOnut

Okay, talked to Kathy Schafer today (she's so nice :D ), about increases in class sizes, which had concerned me until just now and I thought I'd share the information with my future classmates (I hope she doesn't mind):

She said that MSUCOM is requesting permission from the AOA council to increase the incoming class size to 200. The affiliated hospitals have been requesting more MSUCOM students and the college feels that they can handle the increase, so it's a great opportunity for MSU and the state.
The AOA has a history (as many of us know) of being very lenient in this matter and it's a very benign process. So there's basically no question that it will be going ahead. The curriculum and small groups have already been reorganized for the extra students. This is the already known reason for the summer anatomy course, the other (scratched) possibility was to hold some groups at night so they could keep it in the fall (I like the summer much better!).
Also, she said that the liaison from MSUCOM to the AOA is discussing the future plans for the college with the association, including a further expansion into Troy, MI for the first two years so that the college can expand it's class further. Which sounds extremely aggressive for the school. Hopefully everything will go as planned. It worried me that I had heard rumors of such an expansion, without word from the college, but Ms. Schafer really quelled any fears I had.
I am getting more excited and nervous about med school every day!

raDiOnut said:
That's pretty cool! What is taro used for (other than poi)? If you don't mind me asking, how large is your taro farm?

raDiOnut

~its about 4 acres, but that also includes the banks of the taro patches (lo'i) that are also planted with a variety of tropical fruit trees and ornamental plants. Taro traditionally is also used in lau lau, or just boiled/steamed and eaten with fish or pork. But nowadays they also make it into taro salad, taro chips (like potato chips), they have taro bread, bagels, english muffins, taro burgers are also pretty popular in Hawaii.

Hello Fellow Classmates,

As you all know we have to have our immunizations. I am terrified :( . Has anyone heard of or had bad side effects from any of these shots? I dont remember what it was like(Td). The last shot I had was a flu shot. Could ya'll share your experinces with me. Thanks!

bp1043

subtle1epiphany said:
Okay, talked to Kathy Schafer today (she's so nice :D ), about increases in class sizes, which had concerned me until just now and I thought I'd share the information with my future classmates...
S1E,

Thanks for the paraphrase & recap; anatomy=83 on the wakeup.

All the best,
-ky

bp1043 said:
Hello Fellow Classmates,

As you all know we have to have our immunizations. I am terrified :( . Has anyone heard of or had bad side effects from any of these shots? I dont remember what it was like(Td). The last shot I had was a flu shot. Could ya'll share your experinces with me. Thanks!

bp1043

Unless you have a relatively low threshold for pain or tolerance, the Td injection can leave a couple days of point tenderness; but nothing of which one needs to be overly concerned. With respect to vaccinations in general, dependant upon the mechanism; i.e., attenuated or inactivated, there is an assumed inherent risk of virulent pathogenesis to the recipient.

There has been some debate over the use of thimerosal as a preservative. Opponents have levied claims that acute mercury poisoning from thimerosal containing vaccines are, in part, culpable for neurodevelopmental disorders in children; e.g., autism, ADHD, and the hindrance of speech or language development.http://www.fda.gov/cber/vaccine/thimerosal.htm#tox

However, “In its report of October 1, 2001, the IOM’s Immunization Safety Review Committee concluded that the evidence is inadequate to either accept or reject a causal relationship between thimerosal exposure from childhood vaccines and neurodevelopmental disorders.”http://www.fda.gov/cber/vaccine/thimfaq.htm#q10

In general, I would not sweat it; but if you continue to have concerns, contact your primary care physician and ask him/her what you should do; and/or contact MSU's Physician’s Office.http://uphys.msu.edu/index.html

I hope this helps; all the best,
-ky

subtle1epiphany said:
The AOA has a history (as many of us know) of being very lenient in this matter and it's a very benign process. So there's basically no question that it will be going ahead. The curriculum and small groups have already been reorganized for the extra students. This is the already known reason for the summer anatomy course, the other (scratched) possibility was to hold some groups at night so they could keep it in the fall (I like the summer much better!).

Hi all!

I am hopefully (fingers crossed) a future member of MSUCOM Class of 2009! Like about 50 others, I am anxiously awaiting May 2nd. Apparently, AOA is meeting on April 29th, so Kathy Shafer and all at Admissions will be sending final word to us on the following Monday! Any thoughts on how they are going to successfully increase class size, but keep the small feel??? Looking forward to meeting you all in July! :)

Man, that summer anatomy course you guys are going to have is a godsend. I would have given my left <insert body part here> to not have to deal with that class during the fall semester. I'm curious to see who you'll have teaching this time around. Anyway, good luck to all the incoming people, see you soon.

Just FYI: Kenneth V. Iserson's, "Iserson's Getting into a Residency," is a very comprehensive guide to getting the most out of med school and successfully obtaining one's desired residency. I highly recoemmend it. Make sure you get the newest 6th edition. There a few sections specifically for osteo grads. It is a good size book, so it take some time to get through it. Many med students have recommended it to me or wished they had read it early in their med school years.

BibiMatoo said:
That's not to decide on the alternate list is it? I've been on the alternate list since December, the waiting sucks!! :scared: Hopefully they let us know soon since the semester is starting sooner :luck:

According to a letter I received, we are "above the alternate list"...as far as when you may find out, I will assume it is after they determine how many of the applicants offered admission in this group choose to attend in July...does that help any??? You may want to call admissions to see if they have any idea about a timeframe...

Btw, can anyone tell me how much MSUCOM deposit requires to secure your admission? Thanks!

drchick331 said:
According to a letter I received, we are "above the alternate list"...as far as when you may find out, I will assume it is after they determine how many of the applicants offered admission in this group choose to attend in July...does that help any??? You may want to call admissions to see if they have any idea about a timeframe...

Btw, can anyone tell me how much MSUCOM deposit requires to secure your admission? Thanks!

Deposit is $500. ;)

Hello everyone!

I heard about the increase in class size from the D.O. I shadowed with last year. He runs the residency program up here in Marquette. Basically, the need for D.O.s has become stronger than ever and thus the increase. I just hope it can be done without loss of quality.

I am so eager to be done with under graduate work!

We are trying to find a house still in the Haslett or Williamston areas.

-see ya' all soon enough!

Dan

gl to those on the waitlist/waiting to see what the class size is! I'd be stressing too...hope to see you in the summer.

A couple MSII came to my undergrad today for a talk. I got a few more ??s answered about what life's soon going to be like. They both thought that the Summer Anatomy is a good thing -- they said that normally you need to spend so much time on it in the fall that it's hard to keep up well in the other classes. They also said it should be nice for us to have it all at once, so that we won't forget it as we go (???). I think I have fewer misgivings about starting in July.

I didn't know this, but we get some pretty decent vacations! (woo-hoo!) I guess after MSI we'll get most of August off. We also get 3 wks or so for Christmas, most of the 1st week of July off, and a few other little breaks. That's more than I was expecting.

Also, they told me that for MSIII-IV, we'll be off campus most of the time doing our rotations -- I'd thought we'd be at Sparrow or something, but it sounds like we have a lot more options as to where we'd like to go. The students I talked to both are going to Genesys next year.

Just thought I'd pass along some info that was new to me, I'd be interested to know if other people have heard the same as me regarding breaks, roations, stuff like that.

ciao, raDiOnut

Did anyone else get their financial aid information. I just received mine today. It's a lot less than I was hoping for. :(

thesterlinggirl said:
Did anyone else get their financial aid information. I just received mine today. It's a lot less than I was hoping for. :(
Nothing here yet; was it delivered via e or snail?

Thanks,
-ky

dancote said:
Hello everyone!

I heard about the increase in class size from the D.O. I shadowed with last year. He runs the residency program up here in Marquette. Basically, the need for D.O.s has become stronger than ever and thus the increase. I just hope it can be done without loss of quality.

I am so eager to be done with under graduate work!

We are trying to find a house still in the Haslett or Williamston areas.

-see ya' all soon enough!

Dan

Yeah Dan, I am in the same boat, looking for a condo close to campus. Are the Haslett or Williamston areas the best way to go? If you need a good realtor, Mark Krajenka from Century 21 and Richard Gingras from Tomie Raines have been helpful. Let me know if you need their contact info...

Take care

I haven't received my financial aid info -- all I'm expecting are some huge loans :(

on the brighter side -- today was my last day of ugrad classes. MW of next week are my last exams. I am almost done!!!

raDiOnut

subtle1epiphany said:
Hey P, where in Cali are you?
How are you planning to get to MSU? When are you leaving?

Any Cali residents, how are you figuring out the logistics of the move?

Yeah, I hope to drive up with my old man in late May and move into a temporary apt, fly back, and return in early July. I am chillin' in Gilroy, CA (about a hour from SF). In terms of the logistics of the move, I plan to drive my truck up there with a small U-haul trailer with all my stuff. I eventually plan to invest in a condo, but will stay in an apt. in the summer so I can get a feel for the area and the overall real estate market. Yeah, I heard from a MS-I that there is alot of stuff to do during orientation, so I hope to move in before that. How are you planning it all out? Laters.

medic170 said:
1. You are going to want a car. Our winters are a lot milder than what people say, but when it gets bad, you will not want tobe walking. MI is known for variability in weather. For example, In May the temp may be 85 Degree one day, and be 55 the next. In November, it may be sunny and 45 degree today, and 10 degrees with a foot of snow the next day. You will want a car. As an undergrad, I would say I drove to school about 25% of the time in Spring/Summer?FAll and 80% of the time in Winter. When that wind chill gets below 0, walikg is out of the question unless it is just between buildings.

2. I hope you find a condo, but realize that in east lansing you are looking at double to triple the usual real estate rate. Honestly, you would be better off renting since you may have to leave third year.

3. Anywhere within a mile of campus will be noisy. I am very familiar with the local housing, so if yo uwant to ask about a specific complex I can help. Most grad/prof students live in okemos or northern East Lansing, like where subtle is going to live. Briarcliff, where I am going, has very nice townhomes 2 bed with full basement for under 800

Hey medic, thanks for the help. I will definitely check out Briarcliff. Here are two locations that I wanted to get your opinions about (noise level, proximity to Fee Hall):

1. Lost Creek Condos - 1333 Coolidge Rd. North

2. Brentwood Park Complex - 335 W. Saginaw

Finially! We know where we'll be living. My parent's decided to buy a house down there between Haslett and Williamston on N. Meridan road as an investment to resell when we move off for rotations (we hope Traverse).

As for the clerkship, the way I understand it, you pick one of 12 'base hospitals' where you spend almost all your time from there on. We hope to get back to the north and Traverse is the furthest north now. There has been rumor of Marquette being added to the list.

My cousin is MS-II and he seemed to also think that the summer Anatomy was a good thing for us also.

I can't wait, but i gotta get down there early so that I can learn to drive in the city!

-Dan

thesterlinggirl said:

I got mine in an email today too. Also I got enrollment information. When I looked at the list of classes, it was the first time feeling a twinge of anxiety/fear. I've been just making an effort enjoy myself (successfully) and my free time so far. But I will have been out of school for three years when I start and I'm a little worried about that! Its going to be quite a shock, I'm sure.

It's great to hear there's been some word on financial aid from the college, I've been wondering for a while ( :scared: in case you guys couldn't tell). :D

I'm eagerly awaiting the aid package; what sort of enrollment things ypo?

persianbbq,
Sounds like a good plan, I wish I had the time to take a trip there before moving in. I've got no furniture and just lots of stuff (hundreds of books). Should be interesting. I'm hoping to get there by mid June, by car and perhaps a rental truck with my brother (younger). Looking forward to seeing the sights along the road and such.

I did get my Aid letter yesterday - as expected, lots of loans. I thought it was interesting that they listed 2 different Stafford Unsub loans on mine. I did get a little tiny Perkins and a little tiny grant too, but mostly loans.

That's awesome you found a place, Dan! E. Lansing driving isn't too bad, btw...nothing like Detroit or anything

later, raDiOnut
(battling the flu and at work today :( )

Thanks Radionut! It is a really nice place so my family can relax while we are living downstate. There is a little park close to it where I can take the kids and it has trails for us to hike too.

My wife and I stayed at a B&B near Williamston and made good friends with the owners. They have llammas and said our kids could have a job taking care of them and helping to train them for shows! So, we are feeling good about moving to the area. The schools (Haslett and Williamston) both sound good also.

Do you have the flu?? I hope you feel better! I am just getting over it.

-Dan

thesterlinggirl said:
I actually got it in the mail.
&#949;&#965;&#967;&#945;&#961;&#953;&#963;&#964;&#974; &#960;&#959;&#955;&#973;! (many thanks)

yposhelley said:
I got mine in an email today too. Also I got enrollment information...
COM or CHM? Just wondering if I should recommence with email mediated paranoia.

All the best,
-ky

dancote said:
Thanks Radionut! It is a really nice place so my family can relax while we are living downstate. There is a little park close to it where I can take the kids and it has trails for us to hike too.

My wife and I stayed at a B&B near Williamston and made good friends with the owners. They have llammas and said our kids could have a job taking care of them and helping to train them for shows! So, we are feeling good about moving to the area. The schools (Haslett and Williamston) both sound good also.

Do you have the flu?? I hope you feel better! I am just getting over it.

-Dan

Yeah, I started feeling funny yesterday after going to my last classes, then I got the chills/headache, etc in the afternoon. I've slept about 15 hrs since then, and medicated myself, so I'm feeling a bit better. I thought I'd got rid of my fever and was doing ok, so I went in to work. Luckily, I've received no calls so far, so I've been sleeping all day.

It's crazy, because I've been catching more bugs this semester than usual. I'm wondering if its the stress or I'm just getting exposed to a lot w/ EMS

who knows, anyway, sounds like you've found a great place to live, Dan. That's great you already found the kids a job w/ the llamas.

later, raDiOnut

Hi all,

I received my award letter as well. Did you guys get something else with the letter? I also tried to use my MSU email account and I dont have a pin number. Has anyone received their pin number? Does anyone know if that award letter includes this summers anatomy class?

I hope you are feeling better Raindot. I know alot of people that have been getting every bug under the sun. I actualy have fever myself. Did you get that nasty stomach bug? Ugh. What a winter it has been!

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon! Are the any get togethers planned in the near future?

Take Care All :D

bp1043 said:
Hi all,

I received my award letter as well. Did you guys get something else with the letter? I also tried to use my MSU email account and I dont have a pin number. Has anyone received their pin number? Does anyone know if that award letter includes this summers anatomy class?

I hope you are feeling better Raindot. I know alot of people that have been getting every bug under the sun. I actualy have fever myself. Did you get that nasty stomach bug? Ugh. What a winter it has been!

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon! Are the any get togethers planned in the near future?

Take Care All :D

Yeah, I'm having the same problem. I never received a PIN, so I guess I'll have to call the office.

raDiOnut said:
I did get my Aid letter yesterday - as expected, lots of loans. I thought it was interesting that they listed 2 different Stafford Unsub loans on mine. I did get a little tiny Perkins and a little tiny grant too, but mostly loans.

That's awesome you found a place, Dan! E. Lansing driving isn't too bad, btw...nothing like Detroit or anything

later, raDiOnut
(battling the flu and at work today :( )

Yeah, it sounds like we got the exact same thing. I was kind of confused about the two unsub loans, too. Have you been able to access your account online?

kyriacos01 said:
&#949;&#965;&#967;&#945;&#961;&#953;&#963;&#964;&#974; &#960;&#959;&#955;&#973;! (many thanks)

COM or CHM? Just wondering if I should recommence with email mediated paranoia.

All the best,
-ky

CHM...sorry I should have mentioned that.

I just had my mother read me my award letter, great news for me, all loans though. Does anyone know what an "estimated medical loan" is? After the Staffords and the surprise Perkins, it makes up the difference, so is it a private loan that I have to apply for?
I looked the MEDLOANS that the AAMC provides, but their listing doesn't include Osteopathic schools, which makes sense, but leaves me wondering where this $14,114 will come from.
Any ideas? :confused: