****Official MSUCOM Class of 2009****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wisconsinmilf said:
raDiOnut,

Thank you for the restaurant review; if you (or anyone) know of a great place for sushi (or a suitable fish market), please let me know. Good luck with the remainder of UG. Your trip sounds great; I used to live in Montana, GNP is awesome. I am heading to Las Vegas this weekend for some much needed 'rest'.

I was just reading about the open house; unfortunately, I am unable to make it the weekend of the 22nd, but it sounds interesting. http://www.com.msu.edu/admissions/openhouse.html

FYI, I did not include my parental information on my FAFSA; I am 35, so I did not feel it pertinent to my financial status.

All the best,

-WM

Oh! I just ate at this great little Korean restaraunt, they also had a god sushi bar. Its on Grand River in E. Lansing, on campus- right next to Taco Bell. But I can't remember the name, I will have to ask someone and get back to you...

But I'm a fellow sushi lover! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a sushi fan myself, but I can tell you that there has been a rash of sushi restaurants opening in the last couple of years. There are probably 4 or 5 right along grand river ave. There is one right next to Coldstone Creamery that is always busy. I forget the name of the street but it's right off grand river across from campus.

marie337 said:
I'm not a sushi fan myself, but I can tell you that there has been a rash of sushi restaurants opening in the last couple of years. There are probably 4 or 5 right along grand river ave...
Excellent, thanks!

yposhelley said:
Oh! I just ate at this great little Korean restaraunt, they also had a god sushi bar. Its on Grand River in E. Lansing, on campus...
When you recall the name let me know; thanks!

later,
-WM

Members don't see this ad :)
dancote said:
Yes, that does sound too far. We will probably look around Okemos and other closer towns when we come down. I dont't think the Briarcliffs have 3 bedrooms, so that's kind of out.

-Dan

Dan, I would also look into Mason or Holt. Both have good school districts. Holt is south of campus and has a big and popular school system (new buildings, etc.). Mason is a bit south of Holt, and if your looking for a small town atmosphere, it's very nice. Basically, if you continued south down Hagadorn, it runs right downtown Mason. It wouldn't be a bad comute.

Good Luck to you!

subtle1epiphany said:
Mmmmmm...sushi... :p

SUSHI-YA!!! By far my favorite (and cheapest!) sushi restaurant in town!
It's on the corner of Grand River and Abbott.

Charlie Kang's?? I used to order take out there all the time.

Have any of you heard about the computer situation? I remember from the interview day they recommended we purchase in late August and then provide the receipts for loan disbursement for repayment. $2700 if I recall correctly.
So now that we're starting in early July, assumedly we can purchase our computer earlier? Anyone have information on this? If not I'll call on Monday, but if you know I like hearing from my future classmates.

My current laptop is sorely lacking in memory and harddrive space - constant hd activity for the simplest task. Can't wait to get my new IBM Thinkpad and a network capable laser printer! I'm such a technophile! :D

subtle1epiphany said:
Have any of you heard about the computer situation? I remember from the interview day they recommended we purchase in late August and then provide the receipts for loan disbursement for repayment. $2700 if I recall correctly.
So now that we're starting in early July, assumedly we can purchase our computer earlier? Anyone have information on this? If not I'll call on Monday, but if you know I like hearing from my future classmates.

My current laptop is sorely lacking in memory and harddrive space - constant hd activity for the simplest task. Can't wait to get my new IBM Thinkpad and a network capable laser printer! I'm such a technophile! :D

I was wondering about the computer situation myself -- especially because my Thinkpad hd crashed (or was near it) a couple days ago. It's a few years old, but has been a good machine.

I've only tried sushi once and I don't think I'll ever be able to eat it again. Last summer in Hawaii, I told myself I had to try it, and I did. But that day, I got a mild case of heat exhaustion from overexertion and some psychological issue made me attribute my sickness/nausea to sushi. Now, even smelling it makes me sick! Weird, huh?

ttyl

raDiOnut said:
I've only tried sushi once and I don't think I'll ever be able to eat it again. Last summer in Hawaii, I told myself I had to try it, and I did. But that day, I got a mild case of heat exhaustion from overexertion and some psychological issue made me attribute my sickness/nausea to sushi. Now, even smelling it makes me sick! Weird, huh?

ttyl

:laugh: Yeah...I had to break myself in slowly. My bf used to buy this really smelly, dried fish, and I never thought I would like it. Same with sushi and poi. Now poke (raw fish Hawaiian style) and poi is my favorite meal.

subtle1epiphany said:
Have any of you heard about the computer situation?
I too have been looking into a new notebook. You were correct about the $2.7k http://finaid.msu.edu/med/computer.asp however, these funds are not supplementary or bonus. As I understand it, they come out of your financial aid package; i.e., out of the 38.5k maximum for the spring/fall of 05 or against the 189,125 lifetime. They are not 'extra funds'. I don’t know if it is of interest to you, but there were a few web offers of 6-12 month 0% interest; e.g. HP. Anyway, just food for thought; I hope everyone had an enjoyable weekend.

-WM

Hey i'm an undergrad at MSU and just wondering if any med school students would like to talk...I have the same basic questions that any pre-med basically has I'm sure :sleep: I just really enjoy speaking with students that are from the same school and can maybe change my perspective on some things. Also I was wondering if there was anyone at the MSUCOM that you spoke with as an undergrad? I would love to hear from some of you! Thanks! :)

ash2003 said:
Hey i'm an undergrad at MSU and just wondering if any med school students would like to talk...I have the same basic questions that any pre-med basically has I'm sure :sleep: I just really enjoy speaking with students that are from the same school and can maybe change my perspective on some things. Also I was wondering if there was anyone at the MSUCOM that you spoke with as an undergrad? I would love to hear from some of you! Thanks! :)

I spoke and met with both Kathie Shafer-admisions director, and Lorie Culham (advisor) at the admissions office. they are both incredibly friendly, helpful, sweet and encourgaing. I highly recommend talking to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have the schedule for next year? I'm trying to plan some important events that require some notice, but I have no idea when we have off.

thesterlinggirl said:
Does anyone have the schedule for next year? I'm trying to plan some important events that require some notice, but I have no idea when we have off.
Although not complete or apparently updated, you can get and idea of our schedule at http://www.com.msu.edu/aa/apinfo/keydates.shtml I would call the office of admissions to confirm.

-WM

Hi Everyone!!

First time poster here! ;) Anyone else have senioritis real bad? I am so excited to start, I am sure in Aug. I will not feel the same way. Anyway just wanted to say hi. I can't wait to meet everyone. I am happy that everything I have read on here makes COM sound like a tight group, because I can use all the help I can get. Today is St. Patty's day so I hope everyone has a great day...mine should be better than last year, I was sitting in a Kaplan class. I guess it was all worth it though now! :D I will see you at the bars EL folks...with some other 2009 commers! :luck:

megynelli said:
Hi Everyone!!

First time poster here! ;) Anyone else have senioritis real bad? I am so excited to start, I am sure in Aug. I will not feel the same way. Anyway just wanted to say hi. I can't wait to meet everyone. I am happy that everything I have read on here makes COM sound like a tight group, because I can use all the help I can get. Today is St. Patty's day so I hope everyone has a great day...mine should be better than last year, I was sitting in a Kaplan class. I guess it was all worth it though now! :D I will see you at the bars EL folks...with some other 2009 commers! :luck:
Megynelli,
Hi, and welcome to the forum; I too can’t wait until classes begin. I look forward to studying with you; Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Btw, this is WM; I just wanted to let everyone know that I changed my screen name. A couple of 'off topic' pms made me question my choice; duh, I should have known better.

All the best,
-ky

Hi everybody,

Our thread was getting buried, so I thought I'd bump it up a bit. Megynelli, welcome to the group -- I'm right with you with the senioritis. I'm supposed to finish my thesis and do a couple of exams this week (drama and ecology) and not really feeling like taking tests.

I'm going to try to make the Open House. I'm not sure though, because I'm supposed to be doing research on PTSD and EMS at the Michigan EMS Expo in Grand Rapids that weekend. It'd still be nice to go the Q/A session at the MSU Open House. Last time I went, I found that the most informative.

If anyone else is planning to go, maybe we could get together and meet

later all, keep the thread alive :)

raDiOnut

raDiOnut said:
Our thread was getting buried, so I thought I'd bump it up a bit...
ditto.

Good luck to all those in ug fighting senioritis; and good luck with your theses, projects, and examinations.

All the best,
-ky

:D WhAt up everyone. Referred by a buddy to the SDN forums and just got hooked. CONGRADS to everyone!!! The class of 2009!! We are going to ROCK! Even though I guess most of us are starting in July, I really look forward to meeting everyone and starting med school. To the future colleague from SoCal, no worries man. MSU seems like a really friendly place. As a recent grad from UC Davis, you will have someone to get used to the weather with! Gosh, that out-of-state scholarship sounds great. Is it the same on the MSUCOM website? Anyway, got get some sleep now. Got back from a long night of billiards/hookah bar. Looking forward to checking out the bar scene at MSU, when we have the time of course. Laters and congrads again on everyone’s acceptance. Will write later. Pray that MSU beats Kentucky tomorrow!!! :)

persianbbq4u said:
:D WhAt up everyone...Pray that MSU beats Kentucky tomorrow!!! :)
pbbq,

welcome to the forum. Although it took double o, MSU pulled it out!! First Louisville, then Illinois, and finally State; what a exciting finish to the final four. WTG MSU!!!

All the best,
-ky

Gosh, that out-of-state scholarship sounds great. Is it the same on the MSUCOM website?

Hey, I am from IL and got the scholarship. I was sent and e-mail shortly after I was accepted stating that I would release all of my application materials to the scholarship committee. I would contact the office of financial aid to see if they still have any left. Hope that helps! :D

I've been curious for a while now, why is it that MSUCOM doesn't let out its Match List?
I see almost all other school's Match List, but MSU is always absent and most people don't know why or where to get it. I'm really curious, perhaps just because I don't have it or because I might be attending and want to know where others in my situation have gone.
Anyone have any info? or the list?

subtle1epiphany said:
I've been curious for a while now, why is it that MSUCOM doesn't let out its Match List?
I see almost all other school's Match List, but MSU is always absent and most people don't know why or where to get it. I'm really curious, perhaps just because I don't have it or because I might be attending and want to know where others in my situation have gone.

That is weird. MSUCHM gave me their match list, I wonder why COM will not give out theirs. try emailing Ms. Culham and asking. Let me know if you get it. Consequently, I chose CHM over COM and one reason was how impressive their match list was, but I had nothing to compare it to, so they won by default ;)

Now that we have anatomy in the summer, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about our schedule. Will we be going five days a week?

medic170 said:
That is weird. MSUCHM gave me their match list, I wonder why COM will not give out theirs. try emailing Ms. Culham and asking. Let me know if you get it. Consequently, I chose CHM over COM and one reason was how impressive their match list was, but I had nothing to compare it to, so they won by default ;)

Did you find it on their site, or did you have to contact the admissions office?

I was so excited today. My mom does daycare and one of her kids, about 6 months old, had to get a full body manipulation. Head to toe. The child immediately started rolling over and moving his head normally for the first time ever. His parents and my mom were so impressed that they just had to tell me all about it. They both decided that they can't wait until I know how to do that. Woo hoo to all DO's!!

marie337 said:
I was so excited today. My mom does daycare and one of her kids, about 6 months old, had to get a full body manipulation. Head to toe. The child immediately started rolling over and moving his head normally for the first time ever. His parents and my mom were so impressed that they just had to tell me all about it. They both decided that they can't wait until I know how to do that. Woo hoo to all DO's!!

Wow-thats great! (both for the baby and for you!) The easiest way to explain OMM is to just let someone observe...

yposhelley said:
Did you find it on their site, or did you have to contact the admissions office?

It was in my admissions/interview packet

medic170 said:
It was in my admissions/interview packet

Ahh! I'll have to look again.

Was anybody else excited that US News ranked MSUCOM #9 in Primary Care?
The individual scores weren't as impressive, our Peer Assessment was below most of the top 20 or so, but still, it's damn awesome!

I was pretty thrilled to see MSUCOM at #9 too -- GO MSU! Too bad about the lady Spartans loss to Bay....bummer...but at least they made it as far as they did!

Has anyone filled out there Biosketch yet for MSUCOM? I just got the email today....Just when I thought I'd filled out my last form ;) (riiiiiighhht)

later,

raDiOnut

subtle1epiphany said:

Yeah, I emailed Ms. Schafer about obtaining a match list. She emailed me a general overview of the number of students and which speciality they were accepted to in 2004. There were no specifics on which hospitals, but the list is impressive in terms of the type of specialities that MSUCOM grads got into(like the EM/IM resd.). I will fish it out and get it to you :D

Hey guys,

I am interested in investing in a townhouse close to campus. For those familiar with East Lansing, do you have any suggestions to a part of East Lansing that is quiet yet close to campus? (I do not know if both of those parameters are possible :mad:) Also, go MSUCOM, #9 in primary-care!

subtle1epiphany said:

Here it is for the Class of 2005 match:

Traditional Rotating Internship: 31
Family Practice 18
Internal Medicine 14
OB/GYN 8
Emergency Medicine 8
Anesthesiology 5
Orthopedics 5
General Surgery 4
Diagnostic Radiology 3
Pediatrics 3
Psychiatry 3
Family Practice/OMM 2
Internal Med/Emergency Med 2
ENT 1
Internal Med/Peds 1
unidentified (military) 1

Ms. Schafer then writes:

"This is the osteopathic match. This distribution is pretty typical. Emergency med is finally falling off in popularity a bit. We usually have 11 or 12 in that specialty. There are usually a one or two derm matches and Radiology is a bit lower in this group. Internal med is growing in popularity. Traditional rotating folks may already have an informal offer from a specialty residency, but not all internships are tracked or emphasis, so we won't know until next year. Of the 125 graduates, 110 participated in the osteopathic match, and 109 matched for a 99% match. The other fifteen students must have received hardship waivers from the AOA to skip the internship and go directly into allopathic residencies."

thanks to persianbbq for the match synopsis, i appreciate it!!! :thumbup:

wow, i think the match list is even better than i anticipated! :eek:
although, i had hoped for more peds as i am looking into primary care and at this particular moment in time peds/family are where my interests lie. still, some of those in the transitional programs could end up in peds, so you never know.

and i received the biosketch email raDiOnut mentioned above, which means i'm on the email list!!! okay, so it isn't a huge deal to most incomings, but as a former transfer student i was left off of most lists and i was afraid it was the same here, let's just chalk it up to experience... :rolleyes:

on a not-so-related topic...
anyone know about the rumored increase in class size?
i called "today" and the lady who answered basically had no comment and said she didn't know about it. aside from rumors, does anyone have information? i know that the class size is about 125 or so, but will it be significantly higher this year?

i've coupled together some things i've heard on sdn in the past couple months regarding MSU-COM, let me know what you think...
it is well known, even to me as an out-of-stater, that the MSU MD-school is projected to move to Grand Rapids by the end of the decade, even with the delay. COM will have the entire East Lansing campus and facilities (built for two med schools). so COM moves the anatomy class to an earlier date and increases enrollment over the few years until then, strengthening its representation in the state and nationwide as more docs are called for (ie. the projected shortage, which all DO schools should see as a great opportunity). by separating the gross anatomy courses from CHM, facilities are not overutilized and by the time CHM moves to Grand Rapids, COM is ready to harness the full potential of the MSU East Lansing facilities, without suddenly jumping in enrollment.
anyone see flaws in this reasoning?
i see it as a brilliant strategy by MSU and the state of Michigan in it's employment of resources, and while the class size grows (there's been a post on SDN of an "alternate list" to fill new class seats), we as DOs are ultimately stronger.
feel free to tear me down...let me know if this extra glass of wine has made me more or less lucid... :laugh:

raDiOnut said:
I was pretty thrilled to see MSUCOM at #9 too -- GO MSU! Too bad about the lady Spartans loss to Bay....bummer...but at least they made it as far as they did!

Has anyone filled out there Biosketch yet for MSUCOM? I just got the email today....Just when I thought I'd filled out my last form ;) (riiiiiighhht)

later,

raDiOnut

I didn't receive this email. I've got some papers in the mail that confirm my enrollment, so should I call to make sure that I'm on the email list. What did the email say?

persianbbq4u said:
Hey guys,

I am interested in investing in a townhouse close to campus. For those familiar with East Lansing, do you have any suggestions to a part of East Lansing that is quiet yet close to campus? (I do not know if both of those parameters are possible :mad:) Also, go MSUCOM, #9 in primary-care!

Briarcliff on Jolly. Be sure to mention me as a referral.

subtle1epiphany said:
thanks to persianbbq for the match synopsis, i appreciate it!!! :thumbup:

wow, i think the match list is even better than i anticipated! :eek:
although, i had hoped for more peds as i am looking into primary care and at this particular moment in time peds/family are where my interests lie. still, some of those in the transitional programs could end up in peds, so you never know.

and i received the biosketch email raDiOnut mentioned above, which means i'm on the email list!!! okay, so it isn't a huge deal to most incomings, but as a former transfer student i was left off of most lists and i was afraid it was the same here, let's just chalk it up to experience... :rolleyes:

on a not-so-related topic...
anyone know about the rumored increase in class size?
i called "today" and the lady who answered basically had no comment and said she didn't know about it. aside from rumors, does anyone have information? i know that the class size is about 125 or so, but will it be significantly higher this year?

i've coupled together some things i've heard on sdn in the past couple months regarding MSU-COM, let me know what you think...
it is well known, even to me as an out-of-stater, that the MSU MD-school is projected to move to Grand Rapids by the end of the decade, even with the delay. COM will have the entire East Lansing campus and facilities (built for two med schools). so COM moves the anatomy class to an earlier date and increases enrollment over the few years until then, strengthening its representation in the state and nationwide as more docs are called for (ie. the projected shortage, which all DO schools should see as a great opportunity). by separating the gross anatomy courses from CHM, facilities are not overutilized and by the time CHM moves to Grand Rapids, COM is ready to harness the full potential of the MSU East Lansing facilities, without suddenly jumping in enrollment.
anyone see flaws in this reasoning?
i see it as a brilliant strategy by MSU and the state of Michigan in it's employment of resources, and while the class size grows (there's been a post on SDN of an "alternate list" to fill new class seats), we as DOs are ultimately stronger.
feel free to tear me down...let me know if this extra glass of wine has made me more or less lucid... :laugh:

Yes, there are several flaws in your reasonong, beginning with the "well-known even to out of staters" facts you based it on.

1. Your COM class was increased to about 210 students this year. This is why your anatomy class starts in July, there would be too many people to do it together now. Personlly, this is one reason I chose CHM over COM, because our class is only about 100 students, and I wanted a small class size. Consequently, because of COM's increase, some of our basicx scince classes our now to be heald way over in Conrad Hall :(

2. For the last time, CHM is NOT, NOT, NOT moving to Grand Rapids EVER. It is expanding to Grand Rapids. This means that some students, in the not-to-near future, will have the option of doing their program in Grand Rapids, and the rest will remain in East Lansing. The med school is NOT moving. So many people have bought into this misinformation. It is an EXPANSION not a MOVE!!!!!

From the CHM DEAN Dr. Davis:

"In the media and in much of the talk associated with this situation, many people have said that the College was going to MOVE to Grand Rapids. The leadership of the College throughout this tough period has steadfastly insisted that our goal was to EXPAND. At this juncture I am more convinced than ever that expansion is the right approach. I think we have an exciting possibility to grow, especially in the area of research, in West Michigan. I think you should anticipate that our approach to expanding our research will be every bit as innovative as our approach to education has been and is. Further, I fully expect that we will develop a clinical presence in Grand Rapids in the coming years. A four-year program for undergraduate medical education may well come in time.

My personal commitment, and that of the faculty and the university administration, is to a continuing vibrant College of Human Medicine in East Lansing and to a full exploration of our potential to develop in Grand Rapids. President-Designate Lou Anna Simon has assured me that the College itself will take the lead in our West Michigan initiative. I look forward to playing a key role in this next stage in the evolution of this outstanding medical school."

thesterlinggirl said:
I didn't receive this email. I've got some papers in the mail that confirm my enrollment, so should I call to make sure that I'm on the email list. What did the email say?

"Please go to [EDIT]hyperlink[EDIT] and complete the information so that a news release about your matriculation into MSUCOM can be sent to your hometown newspaper. We will also be using this information to create the Class of 2009 biosketches booklet that will be distributed to your classmates, faculty and staff. Please complete the form by April 29. If you have any problems or questions, please contact us at (517) 353-0616 or reply to this email. Thank you!"

--Pat Grauer, Director of Public Relations, and Stacey Buffa, PR assistant

In my experience, MSUCOM emails have been hit or miss. Hopefully, receipt of this email means that I am, as they say, 'in the loop'. Send an email or give them a call; I have found every member of the admissions/financial aid staff to be very friendly and helpful. NOTE: I edited out the hyperlink; call Pat for the email forward or PM me and I will forward you the link. I just thought that this info was not relevant to all those on SDN.

All the best,
-ky

medic170 said:
Briarcliff on Jolly. Be sure to mention me as a referral.
Medic,

Have you made the move to Briarcliff yet? I was wondering if/how everything has measured up to your expectations. I am moving in on/near 15 June; any +/- update(s) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-ky

kyriacos01 said:
Medic,

Have you made the move to Briarcliff yet? I was wondering if/how everything has measured up to your expectations. I am moving in on/near 15 June; any +/- update(s) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-ky

Next month. i will let you know though.

KY
I just double checked, and I did end up getting the email, but it got caught in my junk mail box. Thanks though.

medic170 said:
Yes, there are several flaws in your reasonong, beginning with the "well-known even to out of staters" facts you based it on.

1. Your COM class was increased to about 210 students this year. This is why your anatomy class starts in July, there would be too many people to do it together now. Personlly, this is one reason I chose CHM over COM, because our class is only about 100 students, and I wanted a small class size. Consequently, because of COM's increase, some of our basicx scince classes our now to be heald way over in Conrad Hall :(

2. For the last time, CHM is NOT, NOT, NOT moving to Grand Rapids EVER. It is expanding to Grand Rapids. This means that some students, in the not-to-near future, will have the option of doing their program in Grand Rapids, and the rest will remain in East Lansing. The med school is NOT moving. So many people have bought into this misinformation. It is an EXPANSION not a MOVE!!!!!

From the CHM DEAN Dr. Davis:

"In the media and in much of the talk associated with this situation, many people have said that the College was going to MOVE to Grand Rapids. The leadership of the College throughout this tough period has steadfastly insisted that our goal was to EXPAND. At this juncture I am more convinced than ever that expansion is the right approach. I think we have an exciting possibility to grow, especially in the area of research, in West Michigan. I think you should anticipate that our approach to expanding our research will be every bit as innovative as our approach to education has been and is. Further, I fully expect that we will develop a clinical presence in Grand Rapids in the coming years. A four-year program for undergraduate medical education may well come in time.

My personal commitment, and that of the faculty and the university administration, is to a continuing vibrant College of Human Medicine in East Lansing and to a full exploration of our potential to develop in Grand Rapids. President-Designate Lou Anna Simon has assured me that the College itself will take the lead in our West Michigan initiative. I look forward to playing a key role in this next stage in the evolution of this outstanding medical school."
Ahh... :idea:
well, that's kind of unfortunate about the jump in class size, i was hoping for a smaller group and i've got to say that i echo your concerns. on the other end, more people will make for a more diverse class, i hope that it stays as tight a group as i've heard though. from the experiences i've had on this forum, i'm not that worried. :D
i'm actually glad i was wrong about some of that, because i felt left out by the administration. an expansion to western michigan makes more sense though.

hope i didn't rub anyone the wrong way.

subtle1epiphany said:
Ahh... :idea:
well, that's kind of unfortunate about the jump in class size, i was hoping for a smaller group and i've got to say that i echo your concerns. on the other end, more people will make for a more diverse class, i hope that it stays as tight a group as i've heard though. from the experiences i've had on this forum, i'm not that worried. :D
i'm actually glad i was wrong about some of that, because i felt left out by the administration. an expansion to western michigan makes more sense though.

hope i didn't rub anyone the wrong way.

No, you did not rub me the wrong way, i just wanted to make sure everyone understood because there is a lot of misinformation floating around.

Its understandable that there has been so much confusion about the 'move'...at first MSUCHM was saying that they planned to leave only about 20 students at the original location. Kathie Schafer said that was why COM was considering the possibility of one day utilizing CHM's space. Also, my mother is a CHM alumni and has kept abreast of the whole process...

It seems like there was a major funding problem with moving to the new location-Grand Rapids didn't have the money to put up. CHM has wanted more funding from Sparrow, and some say that all this talk about moving has been kind of like a bluff that didn't work too well in the end...

Anyways, to me it seems like emphasizing it was called an expansion is just a way of saving face in case the whole grandiose scheme never materializes. As far as I know, the original plan was much more like a move than an expansion... that is why the whole community was so up in arms about the idea-it would have been bad for the Lansing area.

At any rate, it really doesn't look like the 'expansion' is going to happen any time soon.

So, what is everyone doing with their last three months of life as we know it? My last day of work is Wednesday because my husband insists that I should just stay home and relax. We are going on a vacation in May and another one at the end of June. He figures it might be the last time for a while. I'm looking forward to getting started. I've had more than one dream about cadavers (I'm anxious about the whole cadaver thing).

marie337 said:
So, what is everyone doing with their last three months of life as we know it? My last day of work is Wednesday because my husband insists that I should just stay home and relax. We are going on a vacation in May and another one at the end of June. He figures it might be the last time for a while. I'm looking forward to getting started. I've had more than one dream about cadavers (I'm anxious about the whole cadaver thing).
I kinda wish...make that I do wish, that my last day of work was soon, the boring monotony of watching 20-30 EKGs is mind-numbing at the very least (as in, I'm running out of books to read! :scared: any suggestions are appreciated :D )

But I'll be working through May as I have no kind significant other that insists I relax. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick up hours at the hospital running around doing EKGs. While that may not seem that much better, I'll be able to see the patients, which I can't do now except answering the blasted call lights. :rolleyes:
I'm looking forward to the drive to Michigan sometime in June, hopefully it will be along with my brother. So that will likely be my only vacation.

Btw, can we have another vote on cars?
I understand that CATA is pretty good and reliable and I'll be staying at Homestead (I think about 1.5 miles from Fee Hall).
Will I be making things really difficult without a car? I have some money saved up, enough for a 10 year old Civic or something like that.
Have you guys heard anything from current MSU med students about the need for a car in the first and second years? I can't remember if we have preceptorships first year (I don't see them on the website).
Advice Appreciated!