****Official KCOM Class of 2009****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
haha, I thought you had to have realllyyy impressed her to get chocolates. ;)

John DO, if my memory is right, weren't you drilled with some tough questions by an interviewer and if so was it Dr. Peterson?
Yea I was drilled, but it was my other interviewer. Dr. Peterson was mainly interested in my academics (and running). He didn't ask anything about medicine. Didn't you have it really rough at AZ? I remember you looking pretty flustered when you were done! lol

Members don't see this ad.

So...you guys didn't get any cards from your interviewers? Hmm, I had Dr. Strait and Dr. Sargentini and they both sent cards with AT on the front basically saying congrats on the acceptance. And these were sent just a week ago, so maybe Dr. Peterson has not gotten around to sending his?? :D

Mountain biking? Bring it on!! :D I have a mountain bike but I have only gone mountain biking about two times within the last year (sad I know). I really enjoyed it but I just haven't made the time to do it with everything else that I have going on.

Also, Medicfletch you said that you like camping and outdoors stuff like that, we will have to get a group together and see if we can make a few outings this year :).

Oh yeah and I like to dance a lot! In fact, I like it so much that I had to start teaching swing dance :D.

I hope that y'alls day is going well. Its a bit dreary here in Houston.

briansmichaud said:
sorry guys, i can be a smart ass! i didn't get any chocolates. my credentials aren't that good! hehehhe i just felt compelled to make something up when i read that someone received notes from their interviewers. :D

but it was valentines day!

You had me going dude. I was starting to feel subpar ;).

Members don't see this ad :)
so maybe Dr. Peterson has not gotten around to sending his??
lol, I interviewed in the fall of last year ;)

Oh yeah and I like to dance a lot! In fact, I like it so much that I had to start teaching swing dance
Awesome! I love to dance, but I'm not very good. My girlfriend and I were going to try out swing dancing about a year ago. Never happened though. Still, I've always wanted to learn (or at least try!)

JohnDO said:
Awesome! I love to dance, but I'm not very good. My girlfriend and I were going to try out swing dancing about a year ago. Never happened though. Still, I've always wanted to learn (or at least try!)

Hmm, if there is any time available maybe we can get a class together and I can teach y'all. ;) :D

JohnDO said:
haha, I thought you had to have realllyyy impressed her to get chocolates. ;)

Yea I was drilled, but it was my other interviewer. Dr. Peterson was mainly interested in my academics (and running). He didn't ask anything about medicine. Didn't you have it really rough at AZ? I remember you looking pretty flustered when you were done! lol

Yeah, that AZCOM interview was rough. The Ph.D just sat there looking at the wall and shaking his head at everything I said. Then he asked me my opinions on national healthcare programs and he looked interested, too bad it was the end of the interview. Oh well, must have done something right, I was offered acceptance. Which I promptly turned down when Stacey called to tell me I was accepted to KCOM. :)

JohnDO said:
lol, I interviewed in the fall of last year ;)

Hey, I've been swing dancing for the last 2 years, doing some lindy hop and a lot of west coast swing! I could perhaps teach you some when school starts. :laugh:

Medicfletch said:
As for getting organized a class outdoor event, I am game. How about a bonfire to burn our scrubs after anatomy?

Cool we can camp out AND burn the scrubs! :D

Medicfletch said:
Here are some links with info about thousand hills state park:
www.stateparks.com/thousand_hills.html
www.mostateparks.com/thousandhills.htm

It does look like they allow mountain biking.

As for getting organized a class outdoor event, I am game. How about a bonfire to burn our scrubs after anatomy?

I've actually been to the park a few times and they have a nice selection of trails plus swimming and camping. The town even hosts a mini triathlon there toward the end of summer. I know people from KCOM usually participate in it. I don't know about them hosting a bonfire but I'm sure we can find a place for that! haha :D

skier2423 said:
I've actually been to the park a few times and they have a nice selection of trails plus swimming and camping. The town even hosts a mini triathlon there toward the end of summer. I know people from KCOM usually participate in it. I don't know about them hosting a bonfire but I'm sure we can find a place for that! haha :D

Well, at least we will be able to do some biking and maybe even a little dancing from the looks of ElfuturoDoc's posts ;).

Here's to the fall!! :thumbup: :D

How old is everyone? I'm 21, 22 this summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
ELfutureDOc09 said:
Hey, I've been swing dancing for the last 2 years, doing some lindy hop and a lot of west coast swing! I could perhaps teach you some when school starts. :laugh:

yeah, i'll be there if you teach it! i love dancing, but haven't got around to properly learning swing.

JohnDO said:
How old is everyone? I'm 21, 22 this summer.
I'm on the OLDER side - 25. And MARRIED... anybody else...
What is everyones plans for the summer?

Kent said:

25, will be 26 next saturday and also married.

As for this summer, thinking of taking in some west coast sites that I might not get to see again for awhile, like San Diego, Death Valley and Yosemite.

JohnDO said:
..now with 5-star goodness.

Anybody seen this? http://webmedbooks.com/kcom/default.aspx

this is the bookstore here on campus. my advice to you is to get your list of absolutely necessary books and order them from amazon or barnes and noble online. the bookstore charges list price for everything. anyway, it's a lot more beneficial (that and money will be tight!!). the best bet from my experience is to spend $20 on a barnes and noble membership card and get 5% off and free shipping on everything. it's well worth it. last year i got my netter anatomy atlas for $35 new (it's $70 on the kcom bookstore website) because it was a best seller or something... anyway, it's a good idea.

good luck!
john

Kent said:

I just turned 22 last month. As for the summer I plan on taking it easy and spending some time with family and friends before all of my free time disappears in the fall.

I'm going to scuba dive, fish, go to the keys, and enjoy my last free summer.

docslytherin said:
my advice to you is to get your list of absolutely necessary books and order them from amazon or barnes and noble online. the bookstore charges list price for everything.

Do you by any chance have a list of the required books? Or can any current KCOM student provide a list of which books are essential/helpful? This way we can start looking for deals. I also currently work for a company that reimburses us for books we purchase as long as they are medical related (about the only good thing at this particular company :scared: ). I would kinda like to take advantage of this before I leave so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey guys,
I have a question for those who have filled out the FAFSA. I have filled out FAFSA electronically four weeks ago and haven't received anything from KCOM yet! Do any of you know how long does it take for KCOM to tell us how much loan we will receive for next year? Thanks.
Ohh yea, I'm 20 yrs old-male from Chicago.
Hope to see all of you next year. Good luck with this semester if you're still dragging yourself to study and graduate like myself! Lol! Pe@ce.

As for the summer plan, I'm going to India to visit my family for about 6 weeks. Also, for about 2-3 weeks I'm going to Himalaya to see the beauty of God. I'm really looking forward to it because I haven't been back to India eversince I came here in USA about 7 yrs ago. Allright guys. Talk to all of you later. Bye.

DO4eva said:
Hey guys,
I have a question for those who have filled out the FAFSA. I have filled out FAFSA electronically four weeks ago and haven't received anything from KCOM yet! Do any of you know how long does it take for KCOM to tell us how much loan we will receive for next year? Thanks.
Don't worry DO4eva, there are others in the same boat. I filled my FAFSA out in jan. and still have yet to hear anything or receive anything either. I did email Steve in FA due to concerns over my high EFC and was told that regardless of FAFSA, KCOM students are eligable for the full amount of stafford (sub and unsub) as well as work study and ALP. So don't worry too much.

now i feel old and stupider.... :(

i am 28 in may :( :( :(

State of Residence: Oklahoma (Go SOONERS!)
Undergrad School: University of Oklahoma
Grad School: N/A

If you are interviewing late, don't dispair. I interviewed in mid-February! I am so excited for med-school to start. I took this year off for some RR. Now I am going stir-crazy!

briansmichaud said:
now i feel old and stupider.... :(

i am 28 in may :( :( :(

Uh, you aren't the only old one....I am 29 since January.

And don't feel stupid, some of us take a more "scenic route" than others ;)

Assistant said:
Uh, you aren't the only old one....I am 29 since January.

And don't feel stupid, some of us take a more "scenic route" than others ;)
I have you both beat! I'm 35 and far from stupid, but I know I passed it along my way! :p

Hey guys,
I am from Chicago and currently go to University of Illinois at Chicago. I will receive B.S. in Pure Mathematics and minor in Biological Sciences this May. How about everybody else? Thanks.

Medicfletch said:
Do you by any chance have a list of the required books? Or can any current KCOM student provide a list of which books are essential/helpful? This way we can start looking for deals. I also currently work for a company that reimburses us for books we purchase as long as they are medical related (about the only good thing at this particular company :scared: ). I would kinda like to take advantage of this before I leave so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

here's a brief list (i have to go to bed soon, but i'll try to make this worthwhile). keep in mind these are only my suggestions... there are plenty of other recommendations here on SDN, but this is basically what i've used.

anatomy:
netter's atlas of human anatomy
moore's anatomy (this is sort of a maybe for me)
grant's dissector (clean one to study at home and dirty one for lab)

embryo:
moore embryo

biochem:
lippincott's biochem board review

phys:
dubin ekg (helps you understand basics for phys)
garcia 12 lead ekg book (necessary for cardiology in second year, but not as easy to understand for introduction as dubin)

histology:
junquiera histo book (i'm not sure of the spelling)

complete DO:
bates guide to physical exam

otm:
kimberly manual (you'll have to get this here, since it's published by kcom)
you'll need the counterstrain manual, but it costs $0.05/copy in the library and you certainly won't need it enough to justify the $35 for the book

microbiology:
microbiology made ridiculously simple

pathology:
robbins basis of pathological disease
board review series pathology (i don't have this, but most of the people in my class swear by it)

also, i would recommend buying a first aid for the boards when you start school and use it to review key points and form integrations as you're learning. it will seem really daunting at first, but will be worthwhile as you go along.

you won't need books for every class. they're just wastes of money a lot of the time. when you get here you'll get a "first year survival guide" that has suggestions for studying for each class, what books to buy for each, whether or not the prof repeats old test questions, etc. the notes are more than sufficient in most classes. honestly, the only books that were truly essential were the netter atlas, the grant's dissector, the kimberly manual and the bates physical diagnosis. you can survive on notes and the internet for everything else... but sometimes books are nice to have.

good luck,
john

Hi everyone,
I guess it's about time for me to post my KCOM acceptance up! I was accepted in January and have already paid my deposit, and have been lazy :sleep: about coming here since. I know I saw another sundevil (ASU) up on the site which also makes me happy! I am looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall and not looking forward to the cold winters :eek:. Well now that I have a burst of motivation I will hopefully keep up with the acceptance site!

I will receive B.S. in Pure Mathematics and minor in Biological Sciences this May. How about everybody else?
I get my B.S. in Biomedical Science and a minor in Biomedical Physics this May!

Welcome Sandra!

sandra707 said:
Hi everyone,
I guess it's about time for me to post my KCOM acceptance up! I was accepted in January and have already paid my deposit, and have been lazy :sleep: about coming here since. I know I saw another sundevil (ASU) up on the site which also makes me happy! I am looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall and not looking forward to the cold winters :eek:. Well now that I have a burst of motivation I will hopefully keep up with the acceptance site!

i am a SUNDEVIL!!!!!

Man, I am getting excited about starting classes in August. I have been trying to tie things up here so that I can spend the summer with the family and just relax and then head off to Kirksville :D.

And I can not believe it is only March 2nd......for some reason time seems to drag :).

Welcome Sandra! It's good to have to you here :D.

here's a brief list (i have to go to bed soon, but i'll try to make this worthwhile). keep in mind these are only my suggestions... there are plenty of other recommendations here on SDN, but this is basically what i've used.

Indeed, thank you very much for helping us out!

Assistant said:
Man, I am getting excited about starting classes in August. I have been trying to tie things up here so that I can spend the summer with the family and just relax and then head off to Kirksville :D.

And I can not believe it is only March 2nd......for some reason time seems to drag :).

:D.

i can't believe it's March. I have 60 days to complete 500 surveys...hmm. wanna swap??? well, please enjoy the time for me, I'm just hoping to get July off--and still keeping my fingers crossed!

well, for anyone who feels old, since i turned 30, it's been a little harder to keep track of my age..but I'll be 32 by the time school starts!

JohnDO said:
Indeed, thank you very much for helping us out!

Yes, cant thank you enough. Any other usefull bits of info anyone can provide about classes and life in general in Kirksville is greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know if KCOM is still offering interviews. If they are still interviewing, is it for the wait-list or acceptance?

Peace&Health said:
i can't believe it's March. I have 60 days to complete 500 surveys...hmm. wanna swap??? well, please enjoy the time for me, I'm just hoping to get July off--and still keeping my fingers crossed!

well, for anyone who feels old, since i turned 30, it's been a little harder to keep track of my age..but I'll be 32 by the time school starts!

Actually it would be nice to be busy until I left work in May but work has slowed down quite a bit. And then it has been somewhat of a downer now that things are done such as studying for the MCAT, applying, then filling out the secondaries and then interviewing and well you all know the rest :). Sometimes, I just sit here not knowing what to do with myself ;) but then I always find something to do.

But I will try to enjoy the time it is nice to not have to stress about applications and all that. :D

Peace, I hope that you get July off.

--Amber

Medicfletch said:
Yes, cant thank you enough. Any other usefull bits of info anyone can provide about classes and life in general in Kirksville is greatly appreciated.

you'll get a book when you get here that is a "survival guide" and tells you a bit about each class, how professors test, etc. it also covers which books are best to buy, though that varies for different people.

as to life in kirksville... it's alright. the local coffee shop is a good place to study. they're really nice to students and let you sit there for hours. also, when you get here, the farmer's market will going on downtown. it's really great.

if you like bars, most of us end up at the dukum or il spazio.

my advice for class is a bit skewed... i hardly attend lecture. i spend the time doing my own studying because i don't really get much out of listening to people read their lecture notes to me. you'll have to just try them out for yourselves though.

i can try to answer any other questions if you have them.

later,
john

John replied about some books. I will offer my two cents worth. The netter is a MUST have. You will use Grant's dissector for tests (there is always at least on question on the test that come straight from the clinical correlations in the dissector). It is true, you need a dirty dissector, however, there are many available for low cost. NOWPA does a sale at the beginning of the year where they sell dirty dissectors and dirty netters for dirt cheap. I would look into that. They also sell dirty scrubs and equipment (scalpels, probes, scissors).

I wouldn't buy a clean dissector or a Moore, however. The library will let you check those materials out for 2 hours at a time. It was a big waste of money on my part because I live in the library.

About the histo, those are must haves. The class has gone from easy to very hard. So, be prepared.

Biochem--I wouldn't buy a thing.

OTM-- get the kimberly and friedman, not the big green monster. I bought it and have yet to open it.

Physio-- the dubin is nice, but I would just check it out from the library. I bought the Garcia for a reference, but I could have just checked it out from the library.

About the clinical rotations, you normally can get your first choice, but it isn't a given.

Just sent in my acceptance/deposit last Friday! I'll see you all next year. :D

Bit of an odd question here... any current KCOM students know if there are any karate places around kville? I've tried searching on the internet, but didn't really come up with anything. I'm thinking about starting karate here, but I don't know if I will if I can't continue on in kirksville.

Thanks!!

pennylane said:
Just sent in my acceptance/deposit last Friday! I'll see you all next year. :D
You're not getting off easy here:

What university? Degree? Where are you from? Tell us something about yourself! :D

JohnDO said:
Bit of an odd question here... any current KCOM students know if there are any karate places around kville? I've tried searching on the internet, but didn't really come up with anything. I'm thinking about starting karate here, but I don't know if I will if I can't continue on in kirksville.

Thanks!!

not that i can think of...

Anybody seriously looking for/ found / commited to housing yet? My wife has been all over that. She has it narrowed down to 2.

Have been looking without much success. Tried contacting a realtor which again was meet without success. My wife has her spring break from teaching in 2 weeks so we plan to travel to K'ville and search out some places. Have a dog so I know I have an uphill battle ahead. If I find out anything worthwhile or any info of use I will let you all know.

Thanks for the help candycane, docslytherin, and 1viking. Its greatly appreciated.

How do students handle health insurance, especially if you're not employed? Is there a company that everyone uses or through the school somehow?

JohnDO said:
You're not getting off easy here:

What university? Degree? Where are you from? Tell us something about yourself! :D

Well... I graduated with a degree in Biology in May of 2004 from Saint Louis University. In the past year I have been a research assistant at the medical school there. I am originally from Hillsboro a small town 30 miles south of St. Louis. I have some friends who live in Kirksville one is a student at KCOM the other is a teacher. So if anyone has any questions about the area etc. I could ask them and get you some info.