****Official KCOM Class of 2009****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Medicfletch said:
With the FAFSA for 2005-06 out and talk in other areas on SDN going on about filling it out, anyone start yet?

Also anybody hear anything from the school yet? Anyone get any Financial Aid info yet?

I'm waiting to get my W2 forms from work so I know all my numbers.

Members don't see this ad.

Medicfletch said:
With the FAFSA for 2005-06 out and talk in other areas on SDN going on about filling it out, anyone start yet?

Also anybody hear anything from the school yet? Anyone get any Financial Aid info yet?

Just a heads up...the deadline is the beginning of March. And it will help, although not necessary, to file your income tax paperwork first. I usually make sure I get my application completed by mid. Feb. Still have to do my taxes too.

I called in Dec. to ask about student housing. I was told that they would be sending out info. the beginning of the year. I was put on this list of people they would be sending info. to. I haven't received anything yet. Has anyone heard anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
To KCOM 2009--

Congratulations! You'll enjoy it. And before you know it, it's over.

I am a fourth year, finishing up (thank God). I'm going into Internal Medicine, in the allopathic match.

If anyone cares to hear any advice, read the following....otherwise, good luck all:

Not that it's an immediate concern, but the days of finding the specialty and residency that is right for you will sneek up on you. Be sure to always keep it in the back of your mind--from Day 1. And be sure to understand the process of applying, putting yourself in a good position, etc. to obtain the residency spot you want. Some specialties/locations/hospitals require a little finesse and smart politics, not just great grades, scores and resume material.

And don't, for the love of God, buy a bunch of books. Ever (unless you're military). For the first two years, the ONLY book you truly must own is a copy of Netter's Atlas. For 3rd and 4th year, all you need is ePocrates for your Palm and MAYBE, MAYBE Wash Manual. You could easily succed at KCOM with only those three books. Seriously.

Take care, good luck and PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DO AS MUCH COOL, FUN STUFF AS POSSIBLE BETWEEN NOW AND AUGUST. Seriously, if it ain't cool and/or fun, then do nothing but chill, sleep, play video games, whatever. In some respects, it's your last chance for a while.

Sincerely,
A KCOM '05er

bump

Anyone with any news or anyone receive anything yet?

Not yet. I still need to get around and call here to see what I need to be doing as far as aid.

JohnDO,

When I completed my FAFSA application and saw my EFC I became worried and emailed the school's FA dept. Steve Jorden and Trisha Riggins were very helpful and replied to my emails rather quickly so you might try emailing either of them.

They did tell me not to worry about the EFC value and that all KCOM students were able to get 10,000 in APL, 2000 Work Study, 8500 Sub, and like 34,000 in un-sub loans. As for scholarships and stuff, I haven't tried asking about them yet since I am out of the running for most KCOM offered ones (Darn GPA).

Through some family contacts I have come across a KCOM alumni who wants me to get in touch with him regarding scholarships and general KCOM info so if I learn anything I will let you know.

Medicfletch said:
JohnDO,

When I completed my FAFSA application and saw my EFC I became worried and emailed the school's FA dept. Steve Jorden and Trisha Riggins were very helpful and replied to my emails rather quickly so you might try emailing either of them.

They did tell me not to worry about the EFC value and that all KCOM students were able to get 10,000 in APL, 2000 Work Study, 8500 Sub, and like 34,000 in un-sub loans. As for scholarships and stuff, I haven't tried asking about them yet since I am out of the running for most KCOM offered ones (Darn GPA).

Through some family contacts I have come across a KCOM alumni who wants me to get in touch with him regarding scholarships and general KCOM info so if I learn anything I will let you know.

Hey '09-ers!

As for financial aid stuff, just to let you know, use ATSU as your lender! I chose an outside lender (Educaid, SallieMae, those people), and they shave off some cash from what you've borrowed and pass that off as "administrative fees". At KCOM/ATSU, every cent you borrow (sub and unsub, at least, since that's all I borrowed) goes to you and your tuition. Steve from the financial aid office called this to my attention, which was really nice of him. Had I not known about it, I would've been just throwing away about $600-1000 for the year, based on these fees! So definitely contact the financial aid office for any questions -- they're very helpful!

As for borrowing money, I just applied for the sub and unsub loans, not taking any work study or outside/independent loans. My parents have helped out a lot, regarding moving and settling down at first (plane ticket, getting my car transported out here, furniture, etc), but now I'm primarily living off of student loans. It's probably easier for me since I'm single and I live in a cheap house with roommates. Things really are much cheaper out here.

Enjoy the rest of your time left before August! See ya then!

-N

Hey All of Y'all in the Class of '09!

I thought I would introduce myself since it is very likely that I will be there in August :D.

I already have my spot reserved but I was hoping to benefit from the great state of TX but to no avail.

Oh well, their loss ;).

Anyways, I am currently living in Houston doing environmental work for the county but my home town is Amarillo, TX. I am single with no pets or significant others (in otherwords, prime for moving on to medical school.)

**edit because I almost forgot**

Undergrad School: Texas A&M University (Biochemistry)
Grad School: Texas A&M University (Health Education)

Well, I hope all of you are well and I am looking forward to meeting you soon.

Assistant said:
Hey All of Y'all in the Class of '09!

I thought I would introduce myself since it is very likely that I will be there in August :D.

Yeah, another KCOM class of 2009!
I'm sure there's other KCOM 2009 people out there, but in SDN, it's sort of quiet.

See you in the fall, Assistant. :)

hey assistant!

Hows the housing situation coming for you all? You guys looking at houses or apartments? I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'll be up moving up there alone for my first year. Now that I think about it, I should have asked to see the on-campus "apartments". There was only a few of them, and they looked pretty old. I think I remember one of my tour guides stating that they were in the process or had just recently built some new apartments, but maybe I heard wrong.

For the current KCOM students: Is it more common for students to just rent houses together near the school, or to rent an apartment alone? What are your opinions on having roomates your first year? Also, my neighbor claimed he used to live in the Atlas house up on the hill back in the 70's while he was in school there. Is it true or is it a "kcom urban legend :laugh:" that people used to actually live in the house..

JohnDO said:
hey assistant!

Hows the housing situation coming for you all? You guys looking at houses or apartments? I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'll be up moving up there alone for my first year. Now that I think about it, I should have asked to see the on-campus "apartments". There was only a few of them, and they looked pretty old. I think I remember one of my tour guides stating that they were in the process or had just recently built some new apartments, but maybe I heard wrong.

For the current KCOM students: Is it more common for students to just rent houses together near the school, or to rent an apartment alone? What are your opinions on having roomates your first year? Also, my neighbor claimed he used to live in the Atlas house up on the hill back in the 70's while he was in school there. Is it true or is it a "kcom urban legend :laugh:" that people used to actually live in the house..

Hey JohnDO,

I am really not sure of what I am going to do for housing. I was thinking on campus housing would be really convenient but then, I have accumalated a bunch of stuff that I would like to keep and refurbish (if I ever have the time).

I am all for renting a house with a few other people provided that it is within walking/biking distance to campus.

--Assistant (Amber)

Have any of you guys received any information for matriculating in the fall?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any of you guys received any information for matriculating in the fall?
Not yet. I emailed the financial aid department today with some questions I had. I was really impressed with how fast Steven responded to me. He was really friendly and helpful. In case anyone is wondering, FAFSA should be in by the middle to end of April. Once that's complete they'll send us an award letter telling us what we're eligible for. He said that will probably happen sometime in May.

As far as general matriculation information, I'd like to get at least something from the school! I'm just excited to start, I suppose. Last year's students said that we should be getting apartment information sometime in the spring. I'm assuming they'll start the final matriculation process after the final two fees have been paid.

I found the Academic Calendar for our class online. Classes begin August 23rd!

http://www.kcom.edu/newcatalog/calendar/classof2009_0506.htm

There are good things and bad things to living on-campus. I would say, find somebody you know, or get to know somebody quick and rent a place that is close. My wife and I live about 5 min. from campus, and that is killing me in itself to be so far away from school.

You have been given just a taste of KCOM through Steve. Everybody here is extremely friendly. I wouldn't want to go anywhere else to school.

About the "website" for housing info. It is ok, but there aren't any pictures, so you really have to do your work. Don't sign a 2 year contract (my buddies did, and they are dying to get out of it). Go online and look for housing, like through century 21. There are a lot of online housing options outside of the KCOM website. Also, negotiate with your landlord (I'll pay 6 months up front for a 5% reduction in rent per month)

Good luck with all. If you have any questions, just ask. There are SO many things that I wish I had know before I got to school (don't get behind, EVER). I'll send out some emails to the class list ([email protected]) when we get closer to the beginning of the quarter.

Peace&Health said:
Yeah, another KCOM class of 2009!
I'm sure there's other KCOM 2009 people out there, but in SDN, it's sort of quiet.

See you in the fall, Assistant. :)

You know it does seem a bit quiet for KCOM 2009. It makes me wonder if we are going to be a quiet and very studious bunch? :)

1viking said:
There are good things and bad things to living on-campus. I would say, find somebody you know, or get to know somebody quick and rent a place that is close. My wife and I live about 5 min. from campus, and that is killing me in itself to be so far away from school.

You have been given just a taste of KCOM through Steve. Everybody here is extremely friendly. I wouldn't want to go anywhere else to school.

About the "website" for housing info. It is ok, but there aren't any pictures, so you really have to do your work. Don't sign a 2 year contract (my buddies did, and they are dying to get out of it). Go online and look for housing, like through century 21. There are a lot of online housing options outside of the KCOM website. Also, negotiate with your landlord (I'll pay 6 months up front for a 5% reduction in rent per month)

Good luck with all. If you have any questions, just ask. There are SO many things that I wish I had know before I got to school (don't get behind, EVER). I'll send out some emails to the class list ([email protected]) when we get closer to the beginning of the quarter.

Thanks for all of your advice, this is good stuff to know beforehand.

You know it does seem a bit quiet for KCOM 2009. It makes me wonder if we are going to be a quiet and very studious bunch?
haha I know, whats the deal? I check in and our thread is at the bottom of the page. Clearly unacceptable for the top osteopathic school. :D

JohnDO said:
haha I know, whats the deal? I check in and our thread is at the bottom of the page. Clearly unacceptable for the top osteopathic school. :D

Yeah I guess we will have to introduce some fun and excitement into the class. :)

Assistant said:
Yeah I guess we will have to introduce some fun and excitement into the class. :)

Fun and excitement at your service! :p Just found out I got in Tuesday. Can't wait to meet everyone in August.

DOpride said:
Fun and excitement at your service! :p Just found out I got in Tuesday. Can't wait to meet everyone in August.

Cool!! Welcome to the class of 2009! :D

DOpride said:

Congrats...and we are going to hold you up to it...of course, with a little help from everyone else!

Congrats folks. It is a "fun" road you are about to start down.

David
KCOM MSIV

Congrats and welcome to all the new KCOM members of the class of 2009.

Any current KCOMer's have any advice on finding a place to live. My wife and I have a pet and we know its going to be hard finding a home to rent based on others post. We are planning to visit Kirksville in late March and hope to line a place up then. What would you suggest is the best way to go about finding a place. Is there a central place to find available stuff before the school sends out their list or would a relator be the perferred route. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Medicfletch said:
Congrats and welcome to all the new KCOM members of the class of 2009.

Any current KCOMer's have any advice on finding a place to live. My wife and I have a pet and we know its going to be hard finding a home to rent based on others post. We are planning to visit Kirksville in late March and hope to line a place up then. What would you suggest is the best way to go about finding a place. Is there a central place to find available stuff before the school sends out their list or would a relator be the perferred route. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hey 2009,
It's great to see new names up on this forum! As for housing, there are a few online resources: rentkirksville.com, c21whitney.com, and a couple of others that aren't coming to mind right now. The more prominent realty companies around here are Heritage House, Century21, and ERA. The Kirksville Daily Express (kirksvilledailyexpress.com, I think) has a classified section that'll have rental listings as well.

But don't fret! There is a housing database which you will be able to access around late March/April that the school provides, since second years will be leaving town for their rotations, and most landlords around here know about it and post on that too. You can find most everything from one bedroom apartments to houses on that database.

I don't live in student housing, but those who do, like it for its close proximity to school (although we all pretty much live 5-7 minutes away from school), and not having to worry about certain utilities such as internet and water (and I'm not sure, but maybe heat also). I currently live in a house with 3 other girls, and the rent is $235, plus utilities (electricity, water, gas, phone, cable TV, trash/sewer) that average around $80 a month. I know people who split a 2-br apartment and are paying UNDER $200 each, before utilities. Be careful though...there are some great deals out here, but some really crappy places as well.

You'll also have access to a KCOM-only web forum so you can all "meet" each other before classes start, as well as have a chance to ask us first years any questions you might have before coming here.

I hope this helps a little! See you in the fall!

-N

i can't wait to meet all of you in august!! this is the best thing that happened to me in years. i interviewed on valentine's day and kind of found out on wed i was in...officially on thursday morning of the 17th i am sending my deposit on mon or tues and have no intention of going elsewhere. this is the first time i ever posted on sdn...so i hope my signature and profile thing came out okay.

some info:
Arizona State Univ.
BS exercise science/phys. edu (wellness concent.)
MS exercise and wellness

if any of you are compiling lists or anything please include me! reach me at [email protected]

thanks...see you soon

briansmichaud,

Congrats and Welcome, feels great doesn't it.

and yeah, your stuff turned out fine.

This is probably more of a question for students in year two, but i figure i will give it a shot here. I am wondering how well students usually match up with their first choice of region for years 3 and 4. I was reading on the KCOM website that you list your top 6 choices and then the card with your choices goes into a "match". anyway, just wondering how this usually works. Also, how soon did everyone receive their paperwork for the deposit after finding out they were accepted over the phone?

briansmichaud said:
i can't wait to meet all of you in august!! this is the best thing that happened to me in years.

Yay! Another one!

Wahoo! We made it to a fifth page, we're catching up to the other classes of 2009 now. :)

i have to try and bust out my thesis....

Does anyone know how many people have been accepted and sent in their deposits? I see a lot of people getting rejections from KCOM. Is our class almost full and if so, where is everybody.

As for free time, what is that? Working my regular 48hr shifts plus a lot of OT to help pay for my move back east other than that not much free time.

Anyone receive anything from the school at all? I have friends that were accepted to PA school a month ago who have received tons of information already.

I can not answer your first question about the number accepted and deposits paid but I have not received anything from KCOM except notes from my interviewers (which I thought was very cool.)

I am bit antsy about not getting information about stuff. I hope that it comes soon. Maybe they are waiting for us to make our second deposit or something?

I don't know if anyone knows the % of the class that's full, but I assume that it's pretty full based on the fact that they're handing out rejections right and left and that they started interviewing relatively early. I'm suprised there aren't more people on SDN though. Someone mentioned that we'll have our own "class" forum on the KCOM portal. Maybe more will show up there.

I have not received anything from KCOM except notes from my interviewers (which I thought was very cool.)
What the heck! You got notes from your interviewers? Nice! They must have really liked you. Do you remember who had by any chance? I'm also anxious for info to come, but I'm beginning to suspect it will come after we make our final payment.

Anyone else interview with Dr. Peterson or Dr. Noll??

JohnDO said:
I don't know if anyone knows the % of the class that's full, but I assume that it's pretty full based on the fact that they're handing out rejections right and left and that they started interviewing relatively early. I'm suprised there aren't more people on SDN though. Someone mentioned that we'll have our own "class" forum on the KCOM portal. Maybe more will show up there.

What the heck! You got notes from your interviewers? Nice! They must have really liked you. Do you remember who had by any chance? I'm also anxious for info to come, but I'm beginning to suspect it will come after we make our final payment.

Anyone else interview with Dr. Peterson or Dr. Noll??

i had dr. peterson! did he show you his view from the window??? hahhahaha he was awesome for me...i hope i have a chance to work with him. he said something about trying to get people together saturday mornings to go running...

how do you guys know that kcom has been handing out rejections frequently??

hey...are any of you KCOMers into mountain biking?? i hear there are some trails around that thousand hills park.

also, do any of you know how hard it is to get into the student housing there?? do you know if most students who request them end up with one??

thanks

Assistant said:
I can not answer your first question about the number accepted and deposits paid but I have not received anything from KCOM except notes from my interviewers (which I thought was very cool.)

I am bit antsy about not getting information about stuff. I hope that it comes soon. Maybe they are waiting for us to make our second deposit or something?

one of my interviewers sent me a box of chocolates...probably because i interviewed on valentines day. she was really nice!!

briansmichaud said:
hey...are any of you KCOMers into mountain biking?? i hear there are some trails around that thousand hills park.

also, do any of you know how hard it is to get into the student housing there?? do you know if most students who request them end up with one??

thanks

Whats up guys? I haven't said anything on here in a while but I'm glad to see a lot more people on here now. I actually mountain bike a lot. I'm glad to see someone else is too, even though I doubt northern Missouri will have the best selection of mountain biking trails! haha :laugh:

I also had Dr. Peterson. He was really nice. The lady that brought me to his office had to come in and get me out of the interview because it lasted so long!

I also had Dr. Peterson. He was really nice. The lady that brought me to his office had to come in and get me out of the interview because it lasted so long!
Haha, the same thing happened to me! The woman that took me up to his office told me that he likes to talk a lot, so she would come get me after an hour. But when she came up to get me, Dr. Peterson asked me if I had another interview afterwards. I said no, and so he said, "Oh ok, come get him in 10 minutes".

i had dr. peterson! did he show you his view from the window???
Yes!! At the end of the interview (or, when I thought it was supposed to be over) he said "Come here I want to show you something." This was after he showed me all his pictures. He was extremely nice and is an avid runner!

I've mountain biked a few times, but nothing harcore (it's Florida, we don't even have hills!)

briansmichaud said:
i have to try and bust out my thesis....

I'm doing a health survey via telephone in Sacramento, and have yet to complete the first survey. The revisions is taking longer than expected. Will call tomorrow, wish me luck that people don't start hanging up on me.

Good-luck to you and me!

JohnDO said:
Haha, the same thing happened to me! The woman that took me up to his office told me that he likes to talk a lot, so she would come get me after an hour. But when she came up to get me, Dr. Peterson asked me if I had another interview afterwards. I said no, and so he said, "Oh ok, come get him in 10 minutes".

Yes!! At the end of the interview (or, when I thought it was supposed to be over) he said "Come here I want to show you something." This was after he showed me all his pictures. He was extremely nice and is an avid runner!

I've mountain biked a few times, but nothing harcore (it's Florida, we don't even have hills!)

well bring your mountain bike...cause you're gonna go now!!! seriously, i am not that big into it. i just like to go once in awhile. i have a nice bike though...and it looks even better hanging on the wall!!! ahahha

briansmichaud said:
one of my interviewers sent me a box of chocolates...probably because i interviewed on valentines day. she was really nice!!

Wow, and I thought getting the acceptance letter was big time. Should I feel gypped? Way to kill a buzz. :) But congrats man, way to impress them.

JohnDO said:

John DO, if my memory is right, weren't you drilled with some tough questions by an interviewer and if so was it Dr. Peterson?

briansmichaud said:
\

Never really tried mountain biking but I am game for most things outdoors, hiking, camping, or usually just getting myself lost for a few hours in the woods as I tend to wonder off the trail most of the time. Oh well.

As for thousand hills park, I'm not sure about trails, but I visited their web site once a while back which was pretty informative. Lots of hiking and horse trails if I remeber correctly so I am sure you can ride bikes there. Can't recall the website off the top of my head though, will try to get back to you when I can get to my home computer.

sorry guys, i can be a smart ass! i didn't get any chocolates. my credentials aren't that good! hehehhe i just felt compelled to make something up when i read that someone received notes from their interviewers. :D

but it was valentines day!