Official 2020 Step 2 CK Experiences With Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets get this started. You know the routine.
Mid Tier MD
Step 1 250-255
mid tier everything.

I need 10 more points compared to my step 1

Not a bad idea to talk about shelves either.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
DO student

Step 1: 237

COMLEX 1: 686

UWSA1: 262 (5 weeks out)

NBME 7: 264 (4 weeks out)

NBME 8: 263 (2 weeks out)

UWSA2: 261 (1 week out)

Step 2 CK: 266

I'm SO relieved and extremely happy to redeem myself after underperforming on step 1. I didn't do that well on shelf exams all year (ranged from 76-82) and didn't really start studying until April. I used Dorian deck and highly recommend it for step 2. Happy to answer any other questions :)

Got a 704 on COMLEX Level 2 to finish up my stats. I honestly thought I did >100 points worse lol

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Step 1 - 244
Comlex 1 - 629
UWorld 1st pass - 73% correct (254)
UWSA1 (3 weeks out) - 253 (255)
NBME 7 (2 weeks out) - 230 (252)
NBME 8 (1 weeks out) - 241 (255)
UWSA2 (3 days out) - 251 (252)
Free 120 (2 days out) - 84% (253)
UWorld 2nd pass - 50% done at 82% correct
Step 2 - 257
COMLEX 2 - TBD

I will include my shelf scores in case that helps anyone. My school did COMATs.
Family Med - 121
Internal Med - 117
OBGYN - 110
OPP - 120
Peds - 120
Psychiatry - 117
Surgery - 106

Prior to Third year
I did Zanki for Step 1 and got a 244. The only reason I bring that up is that I find that having a solid foundation in the basic sciences helps tremendously throughout third year and when it comes time for Step 2/Level 2. Sketchy Micro, Pharm, and Path were so ingrained in my head that I found myself nailing pimp questions throughout the year just by remembering the pictures.

During Third year
Throughout third year I did Tzanki, UWorld, and COMQUEST. Throughout the workday and after work I would study a random assortment of cards for the clerkship that I was currently on. I did a mix of UWorld and COMQUEST throughout each clerkship. The only rotation I didn't finish all of the UWorld questions during the rotation was IM. I did not keep up with past material when I started a new clerkship. I finished my first pass of UWorld 4 weeks before my test.

Dedicated
Around 4 weeks. I reset UWorld and did 40-180 questions and between 500-1500 Anki cards a day. It all depended on my mood. I only did 50% of UWorld on that second pass. I studied between 6 and 10 hours a day. The longer study days were more within the last 2 weeks when anxiety kicked in. Overall, I took this test a lot less seriously than Step 1. That was a combo of a change in priorities and burnout. I also did the Step up to Law and Ethics Anki deck during this time.

My approach to UWorld
I am only putting this in its own section because I think I do it differently than a lot of people. I rarely ever read the explanations for UWorld questions. I just made any question I got wrong into an Anki card. I also memorize first and then it all congeals into a bigger picture later, through practice questions. For me, when doing questions, it's quantity over quality I guess.

Test Day
I thought the test was really difficult. I marked over half of each block but when I finished the block I would go back and check them to realize that, for the most part, I would be sticking with the answer I chose first. The majority of questions on the test were able to be narrowed down to 2 answer choices and I just had to chose between them. Ethics and biostats weren't bad at all. I walked out of the test feeling horrible. I thought I failed it so hard. I wasn't tired when I got out of the test, I just felt defeated. I hardly remember anything from that day cuz I tend to block that stuff out. I ruminated over a couple of questions I knew I got wrong for the entire time between test day and getting my score.

Between Step and COMLEX
I had 2 days between these tests. I did COMBANK OMM questions, some of the Step up to OMM Anki deck, and I memorized the viscerosomatic and chapman points drawings. My OPP COMAT was just a few months prior in which I prepared for 2 weeks for and I felt that a lot of the information was still in my head. I studied maybe 4-6 hours a day during this time.

COMLEX
I felt that the test was very straightforward. I feel pretty good about it. We'll see how that goes when I get my score in a few weeks. The timing was fine.

I'm sure I missed something but I hope that helps someone out there! Ask any questions you'd like.
Level 2 - 693

Members don't see this ad :)
Super basic question but are you guys going through UW by subject or random?

right now I’m doing a mix of both. Like 50% of each subject by system then switching to random once some confidence is there.

Just feel step 2 is more conducive to this kind of approach since you’re rarely deciding between systems for your Ddx/next steps are more often distinguishing things within a system.

Level 2: 800+ , test was garbage. All you need is Uworld. COMSAE is garbage. Catalyst is garbage.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Scores

UWorld: 75% (didn't finish)
COMBANK: 80%
COMAT Avg: ~110
UWSA 1: 253
UWSA 2: 252
COMBANK Assessment 3: 783
Free 120 (old): 88%
Free 120 (new) 81%
Step 2: 247
COMLEX Level II: 688

Resources

UWorld
Anki*
OME
UpToDate
COMBANK
Netter's Clinical Books (highly underrated)

*For anki I used Dorian’s deck and DocDeck IM. I highly edited/curated these decks to suit my style. I took out all the UWorld cards from Dorian so it wouldn't spoil. For DocDeck there were a lot of useless, low yield cards which I suspended. I honestly wouldn't recommend that deck, but I had done so much of it that I couldn't go back. I also self-made a lot of cards based on incorrect questions. My final card count at the end of 3rd year came out to ~5,000 with around 75-100 daily reviews.

My main advice is to do UWorld + Anki throughout 3rd year and keep up with reviews. If you go hard during 3rd year and you get good shelf scores, then all the heavy lifting is done before you even get to dedicated. If you can reset UWorld during dedicated then do it. Don't be like me and wait until 3 months to start UWorld (biggest regret). The UWorld Qbank is MASSIVE, I remember just a couple of years ago it was only 2300 Qs, now it has ballooned up to 3400+. I finished only ~70% of UWorld which I think is the main thing that prevented me from getting 250+. Either way I'm content with the score as it is pretty much the average for the matched applicant in my specialty.

Last edited:
DO student here:
UWORLD first pass: 64%
UWORLD 2nd pass: 77%, about 40% of it completed
NBME 6 baseline - 215 ~ 4 weeks out
NBME 7 - 230 3 weeks
UWSA 1 - 238 2 weeks
UWSA 2 - 237 5 days out
Free 120 - old - 82%
Free 120 - new - 81%
Actual: 239

The test felt like a combo of the new free 120 and the UWorld sims. I never felt 100% confident about many of my answers during the test, aside from a few gimme's. Felt horrible leaving the testing center. Felt like I shouldn't have taken step 2. Somehow it worked out! I used mostly UWORLD, some Zanki, and OME on trouble topics. Trust your scores. Got my score back in less than 2 weeks, kinda crazy.

Reactions: 2 users
So I did underperform but thank the good lord my Step score didn't decrease from Step 1.

Step 1: 243
--------
UW% = 73% (1 Pass)
UWSA1 = 255 (3 weeks out)
UWSA2 = 254 (4 days out)
NBME 7 = 226 (4 weeks out)
NBME 6 = 239 (2 weeks out)
New Free 120 = 80.8% (Day before)

Step 2: 244

Doesn't tank my application, so I'll freaking take it lol. Time to wait for COMLEX. Let's hope that went well :bored:

COMLEX results came out finally.

Level 1: 621
-------
COMSAE Phase 2 103b: 728
Level 2: 714

Once again it appears as though I can't communicate, be professional, or perform OPP, but whatever. I'm beyond happy with that. Hell...try ecstatic.

Turns out COMSAE was, once again, quite predictive for me. The new(er) level 1 COMSAEs were pretty accurate for me as well.

Reactions: 1 users
NBME 7- 247 (6 weeks out)
NBME 6- 239 (4.5 weeks out)
NBME 8- 250 (3.5 weeks out)

Printed out the divine podcast episodes for ck and plan on working through those over the next few weeks. 3 more weeks until freedom!
A few days out from test day. Planning to take the free 120 and cram Divine ethics/risk factors over the next couple of days. Hoping for a 250+, but I’m more happy to just get this over with. The burnout is real

UW1 - 264 (2 weeks out)
UW2 - 257 (5 days out)
Step 2 260+

So happy to be done! Congrats to everyone on the great scores and good luck to everyone preparing for it

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Studied with UWorld 1.5x (71% 1st pass), Tzanki (~40% mature), OME 1x through + divine intervention risk factors and military

Step 1: 246
NBME6: 232 (8 weeks out)
NBME 8: 250 (6 weeks out)
IM Shelf: 91 (5 weeks out)
NBME 7: 245 (4 weeks out)
Comsae 103b: 623 (3 weeks out )
UWSA1: 253 (2 weeks out)
UWSA 2: 250 (1 week out)
New free 120: 76%

Score predictor: 255 +/- 6.5

Step 2 CK: 253

Happy with the score. My goal was >250. I felt like hot garbage after the test.
Comlex 2: 679

Reactions: 1 user
Step 1: 248
Step 2: 260
Level 1: 760
Level 2: 800

Resources for Step 2
Uworld during shelves
Amboss during dedicated with repeated UWorld
Anki

Would honestly do Amboss during shelves and begin Uworld slight before dedicated if I could do it again. If you have any questions for me please reach out.

• Wow
DONE! except for PE... which im sure ill take sometime before 2030.

MCAT - June 2016 - 501

1st semester GPA - 2.53
2nd semester GPA - 2.56
3rd semester GPA - 2.84
4th semester GPA - 2.90

COMSAE Form E - 1/25/19 - 481
COMSAE Form D - 6/03/19 - 486
COMSAE 105 - 6/04/19 - 402
--------
COMLEX 1 - 7/2/19 - 458

COMATs 2019-2020 (DO Shelfs)
Surgery - 100
OMM - 91
Family Med 1 - 96
Family Med 2 - 99
Emergency Med - 103
OBGYN - 102
Internal 1 - 99
Internal 2 - 100
Pediatrics - 96
Psychiatry - 96

Step 2/Level 2 Scores.
NBME 6 - 215 - 6 weeks out
NBME 7 - 185 - 4.5 weeks out
UWSA 1 - 236 - 2 weeks out
UWSA 2 - 240 - 1 week out
------ USMLE 2CK - 232
------ COMLEX 2CE - 540

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Super basic question but are you guys going through UW by subject or random?

right now I’m doing a mix of both. Like 50% of each subject by system then switching to random once some confidence is there.

Just feel step 2 is more conducive to this kind of approach since you’re rarely deciding between systems for your Ddx/next steps are more often distinguishing things within a system.

I always did random just to help simulate the test a little.

I did leave out stats until one week before the test just because I always suck at stats and wanted it as fresh as possible. But everything I saw was pretty straightforward.

Just finished NBME 6 w/ projected score 221 (83% Correct). 4 weeks out. Just wanted to give some more below average stats compared to the superstars on the sub.

Somehow I did average across the board so i'm not sure what to even review this week haha.

1596924321062.png

Reactions: 2 users
DONE! except for PE... which im sure ill take sometime before 2030.

MCAT - June 2016 - 501

1st semester GPA - 2.53
2nd semester GPA - 2.56
3rd semester GPA - 2.84
4th semester GPA - 2.90

COMSAE Form E - 1/25/19 - 481
COMSAE Form D - 6/03/19 - 486
COMSAE 105 - 6/04/19 - 402
--------
COMLEX 1 - 7/2/19 - 458

COMATs 2019-2020 (DO Shelfs)
Surgery - 100
OMM - 91
Family Med 1 - 96
Family Med 2 - 99
Emergency Med - 103
OBGYN - 102
Internal 1 - 99
Internal 2 - 100
Pediatrics - 96
Psychiatry - 96

Step 2/Level 2 Scores.
NBME 6 - 215 - 6 weeks out
NBME 7 - 185 - 4.5 weeks out
UWSA 1 - 236 - 2 weeks out
UWSA 2 - 240 - 1 week out
------ USMLE 2CK - 232
------ COMLEX 2CE - 540
We have really similar stats.. I’d love to get an idea of your study plan if you don’t mind sharing!

Comlex Level 2 was a dumpster fire...rolling down a hill...into a bigger dumpster fire.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Uwsa1 2 weeks ago: 252

Uwsa2 today: 260

Test in one week. Trying to break 260 on this beast but just don’t think I have it in me. Shout out to my school for forcing me into online coursework that forced me to stop studying for boards that also had nothing to do with being a doctor.

Reactions: 8 users
Uwsa1 2 weeks ago: 252

Uwsa2 today: 260

Test in one week. Trying to break 260 on this beast but just don’t think I have it in me. Shout out to my school for forcing me into online coursework that forced me to stop studying for boards that also had nothing to do with being a doctor.
I'm out of the loop. Is UWSA1 or UWSA2 more predictive? Are people scoring close to their UWSA scores on the real deal in general? I'm taking both of them in the next week and then test very soon as well.

I'm out of the loop. Is UWSA1 or UWSA2 more predictive? Are people scoring close to their UWSA scores on the real deal in general? I'm taking both of them in the next week and then test very soon as well.
The scores are all over the place both on here and irl. The only thing I know is that this crap is vague and hard.

I think the trend is that both are fairly predictive with UWSA 2 being slightly more so. But like HoOv I've seen people scoring all over the place. I am convinced at this point that the NBME has subtly performed a drastic overhaul of this test in the last 12 months, and none of the practice tests are terribly predictive anymore.

My update:

Test is in 12 days, started my dedicated last week and have basically just been doing the Ethics anki deck, 3 UWorld blocks, and listening to Divine. At this point I am so burned TF out it isn't even funny. At this point I just want a numerical score equal or greater to my Step 1.

NBME 7: 238
NBME 6: 253
UWSA 1: 263
NBME 8: 259
UWSA 2: 253
Old Free 120: 91%
New Free 120: 88%

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the trend is that both are fairly predictive with UWSA 2 being slightly more so. But like HoOv I've seen people scoring all over the place. I am convinced at this point that the NBME has subtly performed a drastic overhaul of this test in the last 12 months, and none of the practice tests are terribly predictive anymore.
Same. I feel like this is tinfoil hat thinking but I just can’t otherwise rationalize why this test that has historically been laughed off is just destroying high scorers from step 1.

Same. I feel like this is tinfoil hat thinking but I just can’t otherwise rationalize why this test that has historically been laughed off is just destroying high scorers from step 1.

Obviously anecdotal, but there have been some posts on Reddit who have said that all the previous upperclassmen they have talked to described Step 2 like one of the NBME's and old free 120. I.e. fairly straightforward and overall felt better than Step 1. Some people I've talked to at my school have said the same thing.

Now it seems like this vague behemoth of an exam that intentionally goes out of its way to throw wrenches into the patient presentation that either change management, screening, etc. My tinfoil hat idea is they are trying to make it more of a test revolving around clinical intuition instead of actual knowledge.

Perhaps the NBME has known for a while they were probably going to make Step 1 P/F and decided they needed to revamp Step 2. We'll probably never know. I just want to move on at this point. I am ready to focus solely on application season.

Hey everyone,

I’m going to have to push my test to the last possible date to get my scores before the match.

SO SCORES ARE REPORTED EVERY 2 WEEKS NOW INSTEAD OF 3-4?

So the last date to take it would be Aug 28?
Get score back on 9/9?

Let me know, thanks

Hey everyone,

I’m going to have to push my test to the last possible date to get my scores before the match.

SO SCORES ARE REPORTED EVERY 2 WEEKS NOW INSTEAD OF 3-4?

So the last date to take it would be Aug 28?
Get score back on 9/9?

Let me know, thanks

Applications don't go out until October 21.

Where did you see this?
I thought it opens early September

So you can apply starting September 1st, but isn't it better to apply as soon as it opens? Don't programs start reviewing applications right away?

View attachment 315497

Programs will not see your application until October 21. It doesn't matter if you certify your ERAS on Sept. 1 or October 20.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, they definitely started making it harder towards the end of 2019, but there has been a huge overhaul in July 2020. My friends who took it in June said it was fine, pretty difficult but doable. My cohorts who took it this week were shell shocked. High scorers who said they felt uncertain during the whole thing.

I mean, look at old free 120 vs new free 120. Night and day difference. Buzzwords, common presentations vs generic, vague, nonclassical symptoms. As if we didnt have enough on our plate.

My update:

Test is in 12 days, started my dedicated last week and have basically just been doing the Ethics anki deck, 3 UWorld blocks, and listening to Divine. At this point I am so burned TF out it isn't even funny. At this point I just want a numerical score equal or greater to my Step 1.

NBME 7: 238 (May when my date was in May)
NBME 6: 253 (July sometime)
UWSA 1: 263 (week ago)

• Dislike
Yeah, they definitely started making it harder towards the end of 2019, but there has been a huge overhaul in July 2020. My friends who took it in June said it was fine, pretty difficult but doable. My cohorts who took it this week were shell shocked. High scorers who said they felt uncertain during the whole thing.

I mean, look at old free 120 vs new free 120. Night and day difference. Buzzwords, common presentations vs generic, vague, nonclassical symptoms. As if we didnt have enough on our plate.

I just took the new free 120 and got rocked. Holy moly
Old free 120 - 81%
New free 120 - 60's

UWSA 2: 232 (1 week ago)
UWSA 1: 218 (4 days ago - WTF?)

Decided to push exam 2 weeks, was scheduled to take it on Wednesday
:(

Last edited:
Reviewing uwsa2. I’m not even sure what to get out of this. A couple “Gotcha” questions here and there, but most of what I missed was missed by the majority. Can’t wait for this to be over.

Did you guys find Level 2 easier than Step 2?

Yea I definitely did. Lots of easy straightforward questions and most didn't require a lot of thinking. I was wiped out after step, but felt decent after comlex. Also helps that it's 50 questions shorter than it used to be.

Dropped a few pts from step 1 yikes, decently below my two UWSAs.

UWSA1: 263
UWSA2: 267
UW: 80%
free 120 new: 83.3%
Actual: 257

hope a 4pt drop from step 1 wont kill me, def not happy about it

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

Nah you’ll be just fine bro. Congrats on the great score!

Need some advice, please! :/

Kind of bummed; was hoping for 245+... Step 2 CK: 240.
D.O. student
Didn't take Step 1
Average COMLEX Level 1

What are the chances for university IM? Hoping for fellowship after.

Step 1: did not take (DO student, did horrible on the practice exams)

Comlex 1: 543

Step 2: 236

Date of exam: 07/30/2020

UW1 (2 weeks before): 222

UW2 (1 week before): 245

UWorld: 60%

I was really nervous about taking this exam considering how horrible I did on the practice tests for step one (I didn’t even pass a single one), but I am extremely happy with my score. I was hoping for anything above a 230. Hoping for IM at a good program with hopes for being a hospitalist or primary care after

My Level 2 is on Friday and I cant even read one more sentence... for some reason more burnt out than last year.

I would be pretty shocked if a slight decrease hurt you when your 255+ on both exams.
Awesome job though!

Date of exam: 7/28

Shelf Scores: Low to high 80's

UW First Pass: 62%

NBME 6 (baseline): 230 (8 weeks out)

NBME 7: 236 (7 weeks out)

Old free 120: 86% (5 weeks out)

NBME 8: 237 (2.5 weeks out)

UWSA1: 252 (11 days out)

UWSA2: 265 + New Free 120: 75% (taken on same day; 4 days out)

UW second pass (80% complete): 81%

Reddit excel score predictor: 254

predictmystepscore (dot) com predictor: 256 +/- 13

Real deal: 254

Good luck out there everyone

• Love

Date of exam: 7/28

Shelf Scores: Low to high 80's

UW First Pass: 62%

NBME 6 (baseline): 230 (8 weeks out)

NBME 7: 236 (7 weeks out)

Old free 120: 86% (5 weeks out)

NBME 8: 237 (2.5 weeks out)

UWSA1: 252 (11 days out)

UWSA2: 265 + New Free 120: 75% (taken on same day; 4 days out)

UW second pass (80% complete): 81%

Reddit excel score predictor: 254

predictmystepscore (dot) com predictor: 256 +/- 13

Real deal: 254

Good luck out there everyone

seems like that reddit predictor is fire this year. Seen a lot of people get right on with that.

congrats!

50% of this test better be about scurvy/the endocrine affects of anorexia or I’m asking uworld for a refund.

Is it possible to start a separate thread for COMLEX and COMAT? It's a little difficult to weed through people's Step 2CK advise, experiences, and questions when there's a bunch of COMLEX and COMAT things derailing the thread consistently.

Sorry, but just wondering if we can separate these so it's easier to get information we need for both DO and MD students

• Okay...
  • Haha
Halftime of UWSA2. Seems much easier than than UWSA1?? Maybe I just wasn't ready to ball on the first one though. Made some ******* mistakes.

For step 1, I remember UWSA2 was more predictive. Is that still true? I'll be curious to see the curve on this thing.

Edit: Ok, I just finished and I think it's clear that on the first one I was rusty since it was my first practice test.

Last edited:
Halftime of UWSA2. Seems much easier than than UWSA1?? Maybe I just wasn't ready to ball on the first one though. Made some ******* mistakes.

For step 1, I remember UWSA2 was more predictive. Is that still true? I'll be curious to see the curve on this thing.

Lol and I'm over here halfway through UWSA 2 and getting my ass kicked :rofl: :help:

• Care

Edit: Ok, I just finished and I think it's clear that on the first one I was rusty since it was my first practice test.

my score was basically the average of the 1st and 2nd UWSA, n=1.

But I did good on UWSA1 and got felt like I got rocked on UWSA2