Official 2020 Step 2 CK Experiences With Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets get this started. You know the routine.
Mid Tier MD
Step 1 250-255
mid tier everything.

I need 10 more points compared to my step 1

Not a bad idea to talk about shelves either.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Unpopular opinion, COMLEX Level 2 is harder than Step. I don’t know if my form was just loaded with the NBOME BS topics but I legit just flagged over a third of my test... feeling really disheartened right now.
OMM heavy? Sorry dude. Crazy we have to jump through these pointless hoops.

OMM heavy? Sorry dude. Crazy we have to jump through these pointless hoops.

Nah wasn't even OMM heavy. It was just like every other question was one of those COMSAE or COMAT questions where you feel like you couldn't even google the right answer if you tried. I think part of it might have just been I personally had a big let down of intensity after Step on Friday so I just wasn't on my game.

It is what it is. We'll see what score pops out. Honestly no idea what to expect now.

Reactions: 1 user
Nah wasn't even OMM heavy. It was just like every other question was one of those COMSAE or COMAT questions where you feel like you couldn't even google the right answer if you tried. I think part of it might have just been I personally had a big let down of intensity after Step on Friday so I just wasn't on my game.

It is what it is. We'll see what score pops out. Honestly no idea what to expect now.
Luckily the curve is always generous on the NBOME side of things. Crazy how some people were saying Level 2 was easy a few pages back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unpopular opinion, COMLEX Level 2 is harder than Step. I don’t know if my form was just loaded with the NBOME BS topics but I legit just flagged over a third of my test... feeling really disheartened right now.

I felt the same way after taking both. A friend who took it before me mentioned that level was way easier than step. I took step then level and was freaking out because I flagged a way higher percentage on level and felt so unsure about it.

I ended up doing better on Level 2. I’m wondering if they just pick a number out of a hat for these tests.

Almost time for me to face the music...

Step 1: 244
Level 1: 709

Step 2 Uworld 1st Pass: ??
Step 2 Uworld 2nd Pass: ~74%
Uworld SA1 (7 weeks): 257
NBME7 (5.5 weeks): 233
NBME6 (4 weeks): 256
Combank Assessment (4 weeks): 718-727
NBME8 (1.5 weeks): 254
Uworld SA2 (1 week): 249
Old Free 120 (3 days): 87.5%
New Free 120 (2 days): 80%
Comquest Assessment (3 days): 736

Step 2 CK (08/28): ?? (Predictmystep: 254 +13; Reddit Predictor: 256)
Level 2 CE (09/03): ??

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Took step 2 yesterday. My initial audio test didn't work, I notified the lady, she wiggled the cord around and it still didn't work. I asked if they can just replace the headset at least and try, they wouldn't. She then told me "It'll work when you start the test." I told her this is a really high stakes exam and I didn't want to risk it. She got another lady down, and in an obviously annoyed manner stated that she would have to check everyone in first and call tech support.

I sat outside for about 5-10 minutes, then the first lady told me "Are you going to take your test or not?" Then stated again that the headphone was going to work when my test start. I was anxious at this point, but wanted to get this show on the road and took my test regardless giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Well guess what?! Of course my headphones didn't work. I was so scared during my computer reset and move to another station that my timer would keep going, which does happen from horror stories I've read. I lost a total of about 1-2 minutes for that black and was frustrated/distracted for the next few blocks. No apology, no acknowledgement that they ****ed up. If they had at least have been courteous I wouldn't have mind, but they made me felt like an annoyance so they can get back to their small talk which I could audibly hear during the exam even with the noise isolating headphones. Overall, don't make the same mistake I did and make sure your headphones work.

• Angry
  • Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users
Took step 2 yesterday. My initial audio test didn't work, I notified the lady, she wiggled the cord around and it still didn't work. I asked if they can just replace the headset at least and try, they wouldn't. She then told me "It'll work when you start the test." I told her this is a really high stakes exam and I didn't want to risk it. She got another lady down, and in an obviously annoyed manner stated that she would have to check everyone in first and call tech support.

I sat outside for about 5-10 minutes, then the first lady told me "Are you going to take your test or not?" Then stated again that the headphone was going to work when my test start. I was anxious at this point, but wanted to get this show on the road and took my test regardless giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Well guess what?! Of course my headphones didn't work. I was so scared during my computer reset and move to another station that my timer would keep going, which does happen from horror stories I've read. I lost a total of about 1-2 minutes for that black and was frustrated/distracted for the next few blocks. No apology, no acknowledgement that they ****ed up. If they had at least have been courteous I wouldn't have mind, but they made me felt like an annoyance so they can get back to their small talk which I could audibly hear during the exam even with the noise isolating headphones. Overall, don't make the same mistake I did and make sure your headphones work.

I'm so sorry. Hope you still crushed. For step 1 the lady w BMI > 35 wouldn't check me in because she had to finish her bag of potato chips. Hoping to avoid a similar disaster soon w CK

I'm so sorry. Hope you still crushed. For step 1 the lady w BMI > 35 wouldn't check me in because she had to finish her bag of potato chips. Hoping to avoid a similar disaster soon w CK

Lol, I have a friend that wasted a few seconds once because the check in guy was suspicious of her sign in signature and told her it should have matched her license. This was already mid-test btw and he wasn't joking.

• Wow

I would have freaked the f out too. These people don't understand. I hope you still did well.

Reactions: 1 users

During the mcat, they were training someone on the check in process. I lost 5 minutes per section after the first section.

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Angry
IMG here
Step 1 score: 25x
Step 2 CK: pending

I studied for Step 2 Ck in parallel with work so I basically did U world once (timed and random) and then did my incorrect questions and all of new CMS forms.
UWorld: 71.8%
CMS: (new ones) averaging around 22-25
UWSA 1,2: 258 (2 weeks and 4 days before)
NBME 7: 254 (1 week before the exam)
Free 120; 90%

Test day: two blocks were really hard, one was super easy, the other ones were average. I did not have really long stems etc. It honestly felt like a combo of CMS, NBME and Uworld and USMLE Step 1.

I will update with my score next week!
Best of luck to other applicants!

Reactions: 3 users
If I was trying to do more than just pass, then I’d agree. At least you have a couple ideas as to what the question is about usually on step2.

Comlex be like “Pt has a fever and last urinated on Wednesday. He has a history of depression and takes sertraline. Treatment of this patient most closely reflects which ethical principal?

I think I had this question verbatim

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have taken the exam or official practice tests:

How prevalent are questions where they give you falsely negative test results? For example, SAH with normal CT or syphilis with negative RPR. UW loves to do this and I'm paranoid that it's training me to overthink softball questions.

For those of you who have taken the exam or official practice tests:

How prevalent are questions where they give you falsely negative test results? For example, SAH with normal CT or syphilis with negative RPR. UW loves to do this and I'm paranoid that it's training me to overthink softball questions.

I don’t think I had any. One thing they did do is have this clinical picture set up where you are thinking “ok this is X” but one line of the symptoms wasn’t the classic presentation so you would doubt yourself for a bit.

Could you clarify? I just looked at it and it seems fine? Regarding a woman worrying about a breast lump? (to confirm I'm looking at the correct question)

*SPOILERS* - Block 3; Question 28 of New Free 120

You can't diagnose GAD till they've been anxious for 6 months. "Always been a tense, nervous person" isn't good enough for me -- too vague. But more so I have a problem with it since all her fears all based around illness/death, not a variety of things, as would be the case in someone with GAD. It's nit picking, but Ben White agrees with me. Explanations for the 2020-2021 Official Step 2 CK Practice Questions | Ben White

Attachments

• 1598534065235.png
    1598534065235.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

You can't diagnose GAD till they've been anxious for 6 months. "Always been a tense, nervous person" isn't good enough for me -- too vague.

Welcome to Step 2...where you get screwed over if you don't make assumptions...and at the same time, you get screwed over FOR making assumptions. Enjoy!

• Angry
Reactions: 10 users
Man--I thought the actual test was brutal. It seemed half the questions had two right answers. Then like 20% of questions were like things you'd only know if you read about the topic on UpToDate--not something UWorld would cover. 3 blocks were pretty ok. But the rest of it was just a blur of confusion it seemed. Highly doubt I'd get close to my UWSAs.

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users

You can't diagnose GAD till they've been anxious for 6 months. "Always been a tense, nervous person" isn't good enough for me -- too vague. But more so I have a problem with it since all her fears all based around illness/death, not a variety of things, as would be the case in someone with GAD. It's nit picking, but Ben White agrees with me. Explanations for the 2020-2021 Official Step 2 CK Practice Questions | Ben White
I see what you mean. However, the "best" answer still seems to be correct? They aren't obligated to give a slam-dunk diagnosis every time, and the other answer choices could be easily ruled out? Anyway, just my 2 cents. Not to invalidate your concerns, but there are poorer/more vague questions NBME has screwed with us before is all haha.

Fair point, Falcon.

Anyways, took the thing today. Felt okay. Agree with all the people saying it felt like a COMAT (long stems, vague questions, seemingly 2 right answers frequently, etc.), but all in all it didn't feel horrible. Not sure if that reflects my performance or just my apathy at this point haha

But definitely don't think more studying would have helped. Any score better than my Step 1 is fine.

Scores coming back in 2 weeks? Or more like 4?

Fair point, Falcon.

Anyways, took the thing today. Felt okay. Agree with all the people saying it felt like a COMAT (long stems, vague questions, seemingly 2 right answers frequently, etc.), but all in all it didn't feel horrible. Not sure if that reflects my performance or just my apathy at this point haha

But definitely don't think more studying would have helped. Any score better than my Step 1 is fine.

My buddy got his score back this week and it was 2.5 week turn around for him. He took it on a Saturday

Fair point, Falcon.

Honestly, I think having that feeling of "there's nothing more I could have done that would've helped" is the best because at least you know you tried as hard as you could and will have no regrets about your preparation or the past. Best of luck to you Mattnatomy! Let us know how well you crushed it!

Shaking in my boots a little bit here boys.

256 on Step 1 after absolutely grinding my behind off nonstop for the first 2 years of school.

Slacked off through M3, didn't do a whole lot of UW and no Anki at all. I got through ~1000 UW questions during M3, and reset it at the start of my 3-week dedicated period.

I'm now ~600 questions into my secondish pass and scoring 78% correct.
UWSA1 scored a 256 (taken today, 13 days out).

Would be very happy with anything >250 on CK at this point. It's nerve wracking to see so many people's scores being just all over the place in terms of their UWSA1 / 2 / CK! Really need to find some motivation and get through more questions over the next 12 days!!

Question for those who Anki'ed.

Cheesy dorian has a neuro subdeck. When did you guys do this deck? I'm unsure if it's worth trying to put it in with IM or just saving for my last rotation before CK dedicated.

Oh good... because now my neurotic brain has convinced myself I couldn’t schedule Step 3 because I failed
:eek:

No idea. I always thought it just meant your score was going to be released that week.

I'm able to apply for Step 3 now, but I'm not sure if I was always able to do so

1 week out from Step 2. Pretty over it at this point haha.

Mostly just planning on taking UW1 and 2 and the free 120.

A couple classmates suggested Dr. High Yield the week before step 2. What are you guys thoughts about it?

I have already listened to divine podcasts and honestly i'm just planning on relistening to the risk factors video and maybe a section (like OBGYN) i'm bad at the nightbefore.

Reactions: 4 users
Got my score this morning

Step 2 CK: 255

Free 120: 84% (5 weeks out)
NBME 6: 251 (4 weeks out)
NBME 7: 236 (3 weeks out)
NBME 8: 252 (2 weeks out)
UWSA1: 250 (6 days out)
UWSA2: 256 (3 days out)

Only wanted to post this because I feel I got absolutely HAMMERED on the test and also walked out thinking I failed, then seeing people post how much the test has changed recently and real scores all over the place compared to practice tests freaked me out. Hopefully this will provide relief to anybody who took the test recently I think its still safe to say for the majority you can still trust practice scores

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
NBME 7: 238
NBME 6: 253
UWSA 1: 263
NBME 8: 259
UWSA 2: 253
Old Free 120: 91%
New Free 120: 88%

Update

Real deal: 250-255. Pretty stoked because I hit my goal of 250+. I burned out so hard at the end after having to change my test date twice and tread water for an extra 3 months. Now I just have to finish my personal statement and my application is complete. Damn it feels good to be done with all of this garbage

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
congrats to you both @CarlBarker @AnatomyGrey12

any last minute words of wisdom for a few of us getting rdy to test soon?

I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for a tough day. The NBME felt easier / shorter, and UW has felt longer / more vague. I'm guessing the real deal will probably be more like UW?

Got my score this morning

Step 2 CK: 255

Free 120: 84% (5 weeks out)
NBME 6: 251 (4 weeks out)
NBME 7: 236 (3 weeks out)
NBME 8: 252 (2 weeks out)
UWSA1: 250 (6 days out)
UWSA2: 256 (3 days out)

Only wanted to post this because I feel I got absolutely HAMMERED on the test and also walked out thinking I failed, then seeing people post how much the test has changed recently and real scores all over the place compared to practice tests freaked me out. Hopefully this will provide relief to anybody who took the test recently I think its still safe to say for the majority you can still trust practice scores

Congrats on crushing it.

Any thoughts on the score increase between UWSA1/2? It seems like most people drop some points on UWSA2, but you took them so close together, it's unlikely you learned that much in 3 days? Is it just random chance of knowing a few random details, or did you have a last minute review strategy that you think paid off?

Got my score today. 250-255

My goal was >255, but I'm happy with my score. I felt terrible about my test and honestly believed I may have failed or scored very poorly.

• Love
Scored 260 on step 2. Exact same score as uwsa2. That was literally the hardest test I’ve ever taken. I’m happy to have a higher number than step 1, even if the percentile is actually a little lower. But I felt absolutely awful afterwards. Even during the last part, I just started guessing because the questions were so frustratingly stupid.

This was a terribly written exam that tested test-taking ability much more than actual knowledge. Almost every radiograph was a blurry piece of garbage that made me rely on the stem just so I could convince myself what I was looking for was actually there. Step 1 was hard, but wasn’t deliberately trying to trick you like this piece of trash.

Can’t wait to see the hissy fits when this test is the main stratifier for residency.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
congrats to you both @CarlBarker @AnatomyGrey12

any last minute words of wisdom for a few of us getting rdy to test soon?

I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for a tough day. The NBME felt easier / shorter, and UW has felt longer / more vague. I'm guessing the real deal will probably be more like UW?
What @AnatomyGrey12 said. Real deal definitely more like UW, but even longer/more vague unfortunately. Soooo many wtf questions.

Congrats on crushing it.

Any thoughts on the score increase between UWSA1/2? It seems like most people drop some points on UWSA2, but you took them so close together, it's unlikely you learned that much in 3 days? Is it just random chance of knowing a few random details, or did you have a last minute review strategy that you think paid off?
I realized I have a tendency to skim stems too fast and miss key info which made me miss a bunch of gimmie questions on UWSA 1. After that, I made sure to read questions a lot more closely from then on and I think that helped on UWSA 2 and the real thing. So more just tweaking my test taking strategy

I realized I have a tendency to skim stems too fast and miss key info which made me miss a bunch of gimmie questions on UWSA 1. After that, I made sure to read questions a lot more closely from then on and I think that helped on UWSA 2 and the real thing. So more just tweaking my test taking strategy

I thought the questions on the real test were nothing like Uworld, and I was convinced I failed until i got my score bc I was guessing on almost every question. Despite feeling like the questions were nothing alike, i got the same score on the real test as my UWSA 2 = 241.

I thought the questions on the real test were nothing like Uworld, and I was convinced I failed until i got my score bc I was guessing on almost every question. Despite feeling like the questions were nothing alike, i got the same score on the real test as my UWSA 2 = 241.
Same. Completely different from uworld despite getting the same uwsa2 score.

Halfway through UWSA2, 7 days out from CK today.... This test is going to be painnnnful :scared:

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Just finished UW1; 5 days out and scored 66%, which was 39th percentile for a projected score of 237?

Did mostly average for most of it except for 1 section which i scored 10% points below average.

The projected score (237) seemed pretty high for a 36th percentile.

Just finished UW1; 5 days out and scored 66%, which was 39th percentile for a projected score of 237?

Did mostly average for most of it except for 1 section which i scored 10% points below average.

The projected score (237) seemed pretty high for a 36th percentile.
244 is the mean I think

• Wow
Update:
Step 1:
mid 230s(Didn't finish Uworld - 600 questions left in micro, cardio, and some other topic, didn't finish sketchy micro OR pharm oops, didn't finish FA, High-passed every preclinical)
For step 1, I only took NBMEs...don't remember the exact order but it was 188, 195, 228, 233, 255, and 253 (for my scores in the 5 weeks I took studying). I think the last 2 may have been artificially inflated due to repeats as those were the 20s series.

Step 2: UWSAx1.5 (finished my incorrects and first pass) on second pass now, Amboss qbank x1, OME x1, dorian deck completed in April and now doing 2 hours of reviews each day

Honored all clerkships except the first (FM), We don't take shelves at my school.

NBME 7 (taken 8 weeks out) - 259
NBME 6 (taken 4 weeks out) - 268 (this feels artificially inflated as I could've sworn Uworld and Amboss tested a lot of the same things in this exam)
UW x 1.5 - 85% (but this is artificially inflated as this includes my incorrects and I redid IM questions since I had done half of them once in surgery)

Hoping for 248 plus this time!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow