Official 2020 Step 2 CK Experiences With Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets get this started. You know the routine.
Mid Tier MD
Step 1 250-255
mid tier everything.

I need 10 more points compared to my step 1

Not a bad idea to talk about shelves either.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Ive been crushing my netflix cue. Got through 4 seasons of 22 episodes this month alone.
Havent done more than 200 anki cards a day.

My next question for the group. I have two months till my exam, but realistically one month because I have a sub I in august.
Is uworld and dorian sufficient?
My first pass uworld during rotations was 80% with roughly 80% complete.
My first pass amboss was ~70% with roughly 70% complete IIRC.

Anyone have month long study plans Etc
Are ya binging supernatural by chance??

I didn't stick with dorian so can't comment. But I've been hitting around mid 260s on UWSAs with around that UW first (only) pass %. Only thing I can recommend besides what you're already doing is Divine Intervention podcasts here and there. I'd say just keep doing what you're doing and you got a shot at 270+ IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
Are ya binging supernatural by chance??

I didn't stick with dorian so can't comment. But I've been hitting around mid 260s on UWSAs with around that UW first (only) pass %. Only thing I can recommend besides what you're already doing is Divine Intervention podcasts here and there. I'd say just keep doing what you're doing and you got a shot at 270+ IMO.
I did all of farscape for the first time, and then norsemen. I watch at 2x so a little quicker, but still essentially a vacation

I guess the plan is then 100 uworld a day with 500 anki cards a day for 25 days and the other days to do uwsa and nbmes.

Last edited:
I did all of farscape for the first time, and then norsemen. I watch at 2x so a little quicker, but still essentially a vacation

I guess the plan is then 100 uworld a day with 500 anki cards a day for 25 days and the other days to do uwsa and nbmes.
Thats Med-student AF, living life on x2

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)

We have similar timelines again just like step 1 last year and pretty much Identical plans....uw dorian and some divine. Also have a sub I next month so going to hope for 40q/day and work up to 120 for true dedicated. I don’t know about you but I absolutely do not have that fire under my ass like I did for step 1. I’ve done 50 questions in 5 days so far and then took a “rest day” lmao

Anyway good luck man I’m sure we’ll make it to the other side pleased with our scores.

do you have any intention ofreviewing any OME? I might use it to supplement/refresh algorithms or weak spots

Reactions: 2 users
We have similar timelines again just like step 1 last year and pretty much Identical plans....uw dorian and some divine. Also have a sub I next month so going to hope for 40q/day and work up to 120 for true dedicated. I don’t know about you but I absolutely do not have that fire under my ass like I did for step 1. I’ve done 50 questions in 5 days so far and then took a “rest day” lmao

Anyway good luck man I’m sure we’ll make it to the other side pleased with our scores.

do you have any intention ofreviewing any OME? I might use it to supplement/refresh algorithms or weak spots
Honestly ome never was appealing to me , there seems to be Dorian cards aimed at it anyway. I have been having some difficulty with heme onc and was pondering just doing that. Not sure if there is any other source for Review.
Completely agree with the lack of fire . I think part of it has to do with I don’t feel like I have much to prove to anyone anymore , honored most of my rotations , did well enough on s1 .

Reactions: 4 users

Honestly my opinion of OME is that it’s a really solid resource for actual clinical stuff, but it’s fairly superficial.

I have been toying with watching the Divine shelf lectures (like the actual lectures and not just his HY podcasts). I know a few people that did and felt like it was more in depth than OME and covered about 80-90% of their tests.

Reactions: 4 users
Honestly my opinion of OME is that it’s a really solid resource for actual clinical stuff, but it’s fairly superficial.

I have been toying with watching the Divine shelf lectures (like the actual lectures and not just his HY podcasts). I know a few people that did and felt like it was more in depth than OME and covered about 80-90% of their tests.
If we are thinking of the same lectures, I used those particular Divine recordings as my only content review besides Emma recordings for all of my comats. I would do some questions in the first weeks of the rotations and read on my patients and then stop questions the last week. I recommend them greatly to anyone that is an excellent test taker who is finding questions too slow to learn material at times. UWorld is still the GOAT but some days I'll do a block of questions and feel like I learned/reviewed far fewer things in a couple hours than a single hour of his podcasts but I realize that probably I hold an outlier opinion on what's important here.

If we are thinking of the same lectures, I used those particular Divine recordings as my only content review besides Emma recordings for all of my comats. I would do some questions in the first weeks of the rotations and read on my patients and then stop questions the last week. I recommend them greatly to anyone that is an excellent test taker who is finding questions too slow to learn material at times. UWorld is still the GOAT but some days I'll do a block of questions and feel like I learned/reviewed far fewer things in a couple hours than a single hour of his podcasts but I realize that probably I hold an outlier opinion on what's important here.

No I know exactly what you mean. I think I’ll watch them then. It will be nice to have a broad overview like that.

Half way done, would rather take 10 comats than this. Big yikes ladies and gents.

Reactions: 6 users
Post step 2 reflections/advice: get gud at guessing fam, i had half that bad boy flagged. Felt like a harder version of the 2020 free120, combined with tons of comat style questions where you just gotta go with your gut, and some step 1 type mechanisms and basic sciences. The classically recommended on reddit divine intervention podcasts are HY

i missed a decent amount of questions that are probs slam dunks for most so its just adding insult to injury

I legit had someone tell me that they felt like Step was a twilight zone experience that seemed like a COMAT on steroids with how vague it was, and felt it closer to the actual COMAT's than to UWorld.
This description was quite accurate for my exam.

Last edited:
8 weeks till my test! trying to improve by 20 points.
Step 1: 230s. Underperformed - my step 1 trend where I just took NBMEs over 5 weeks went from the 180s to the mid 250s at the end. but...I Didn't finish sketchy. Didn't finish Uworld (500 questions left in cardio, micro, and another section), Didn't finish First Aid. Didn't study during the year (was misled by our school that the class lectures would prepare) which is why I didn't finish but I had to take the exam to avoid a year off.

This year (our school doesn't do shelves but I studied in all classes as if it were a shelf, then crammed in the last week all the school lectures): ended up getting Honors in 4 out of my 5 rotations
Finished UWorld, Finished UWorld Incorrects, finished Dorian Deck (daily reviews of 200 cards per section still occurring), Finish Amboss, Watched OME throughout the year. Have taken baseline NBME 7: 259.

Anything I should do before my exam? I have a sub-i this month but will be taking 4 weeks off in September for dedicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those that have gotten their scores back... Did anyone else score lower than their predicted scores on Uworld 1 and 2? Just got my score back yesterday and I feel like I'm the only one... I mean, I felt like crap walking out of the exam so I'm happy I passed and did decently on it, but man I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
Those that have gotten their scores back... Did anyone else score lower than their predicted scores on Uworld 1 and 2? Just got my score back yesterday and I feel like I'm the only one... I mean, I felt like crap walking out of the exam so I'm happy I passed and did decently on it, but man I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.
How did you do compared to the NBME

Yeah I’ve met many people. I dropped 11 points from my UW1 and 2 (both were similar). For the most part they’re still predictive so future readers, trust Uworld.

8 weeks till my test! trying to improve by 20 points.
Step 1: 230s. Underperformed - my step 1 trend where I just took NBMEs over 5 weeks went from the 180s to the mid 250s at the end. but...I Didn't finish sketchy. Didn't finish Uworld (500 questions left in cardio, micro, and another section), Didn't finish First Aid. Didn't study during the year (was misled by our school that the class lectures would prepare) which is why I didn't finish but I had to take the exam to avoid a year off.

This year (our school doesn't do shelves but I studied in all classes as if it were a shelf, then crammed in the last week all the school lectures): ended up getting Honors in 4 out of my 5 rotations
Finished UWorld, Finished UWorld Incorrects, finished Dorian Deck (daily reviews of 200 cards per section still occurring), Finish Amboss, Watched OME throughout the year. Have taken baseline NBME 7: 259.

Anything I should do before my exam? I have a sub-i this month but will be taking 4 weeks off in September for dedicated.
someone please advise!

someone please advise!

In my opinion best thing is to do questions, if you want another resource i would do flashcards on whatever topic you need to cover.

I redid UWORLD in the 5 weeks before Step. I'm glad I did. I was worried about remembering questions but that really wasn't a problem for the majority of questions. They added quite a few since my earlier rotations.

Divine intervention podcasts is good if you like listening to something while working out or doing stuff around the house. I only found this one week before my test but liked what I heard.

Dr High yield is good. I used it mostly for shelf, but think it would be good review for boards too. I would try to find premade flashcards for the videos. In my opinion just watching these review videos is not the best use of time.

Just study hard but make sure you take time to relax, sleep and do some things you enjoy. You don't want to burn out. Good luck!

For those who took Level 2.. what resource do you recommend to help you read insanely low quality x rays?
My level 2 had great images, but the questions are very specific. Like actual fracture classifications and specific length/type of casting based on the fracture. The classification junk wasn’t bad cause we learned it in OMM and again in MSK, but the treatment for like a torus fracture when the options go all the way down to specific weeks and casting types. I feel like all you can do is make a logical guess because I don’t even know where the exact ans would be found. Medicine is an art and those kind of details are subjective imo, but what the hell do I know.

• Haha
  • Wow
For those who took Level 2.. what resource do you recommend to help you read insanely low quality x rays?
Dont have a good recommendation unfortunately besides just getting really used to seeing the normal anatomy on normal imaging.

Gonna go against what was said above and say my chest xrays/videos werent great, Idk if it was the prometric I was at or what but my level 2 looked looked like it was running on windows 95 and I did not remember level 1 having anywhere near the same “look” as I thought level 1 even had a diff color scheme than my level 2 and looked cleaner than step 1. (My level 2 looked like a zoomed in larger font large bezel windows 95 UW and i could have sworn, but may be misremembering, level 1 being like green and looking more like comquest?). I remember zooming in on one chest xray and thinking “are these ground glass opacities or is this pic just grainy AF”. The audio in the videos was whack too, like voiced over lines on a video felt like I was a watching a bad anime dub. Heart sounds were so much better for me because mine played entirely normal sounds/much quieter murmurs over positions that arent the main location vs step which had slightly softer murmurs depending on where you listened + breath sounds in the background. Also theres still that one annoying issue where if you close out of a video without pausing itll endlessly keep playing in the background.

+1 to a handful of ortho type/classification qs tho, but mine were slightly easier than described above

I underperformed by close to 10 points. It sucks but at least there’s a built in “excuse” you can talk about

In my opinion best thing is to do questions, if you want another resource i would do flashcards on whatever topic you need to cover.

I redid UWORLD in the 5 weeks before Step. I'm glad I did. I was worried about remembering questions but that really wasn't a problem for the majority of questions. They added quite a few since my earlier rotations.

Divine intervention podcasts is good if you like listening to something while working out or doing stuff around the house. I only found this one week before my test but liked what I heard.

Dr High yield is good. I used it mostly for shelf, but think it would be good review for boards too. I would try to find premade flashcards for the videos. In my opinion just watching these review videos is not the best use of time.

Just study hard but make sure you take time to relax, sleep and do some things you enjoy. You don't want to burn out. Good luck!
Did you end up getting a score in the 250s (if that's not too personal)

Current third year asking for your all's expertise: is Case Files a useful resource for COMATs? And if so, is it useful for all specialties or only certain ones? I'm already using OME, Dorian and UWorld.

Ha I wish! I got somewhere in the upper 240s-low 250s I think on the Uworld exams but didn't do nearly as well on the actual exam.
oops was not asking you ;_; sorry i know it's a bitter spot for people (it was for me when i underperformed on step 1 by 20 points) was asking the poster above who replied for advice

I'm already using OME, Dorian and UWorld.

This is all you need. Maybe substitute OME for the Divine Intervention shelf lectures. I also did the TrueLearn COMAT question sets for each COMAT over and over until I had gotten each question right at least once.

For reference the average of my COMAT scores is about a 115.

Reactions: 3 users
Did you end up getting a score in the 250s (if that's not too personal)

I did score above 250. But just so you don’t put too much weight on my experience alone, I also know people who had similar strategy and scored about average. So hopefully you can find out what works good for you. But I would check out those resources to add to your q bank.

Reactions: 1 user
I did score above 250. But just so you don’t put too much weight on my experience alone, I also know people who had similar strategy and scored about average. So hopefully you can find out what works good for you. But I would check out those resources to add to your q bank.
I didn't use any resources unfortunately when I studied for step 1. I relied on my school curriculum so I think this will give me the boost I need.

I doubt they’ll be poor quality. My level 1 had much higher quality images than step 1.
My level 2 had great images, but the questions are very specific. Like actual fracture classifications and specific length/type of casting based on the fracture. The classification junk wasn’t bad cause we learned it in OMM and again in MSK, but the treatment for like a torus fracture when the options go all the way down to specific weeks and casting types. I feel like all you can do is make a logical guess because I don’t even know where the exact ans would be found. Medicine is an art and those kind of details are subjective imo, but what the hell do I know.
Dont have a good recommendation unfortunately besides just getting really used to seeing the normal anatomy on normal imaging.

Gonna go against what was said above and say my chest xrays/videos werent great, Idk if it was the prometric I was at or what but my level 2 looked looked like it was running on windows 95 and I did not remember level 1 having anywhere near the same “look” as I thought level 1 even had a diff color scheme than my level 2 and looked cleaner than step 1. (My level 2 looked like a zoomed in larger font large bezel windows 95 UW and i could have sworn, but may be misremembering, level 1 being like green and looking more like comquest?). I remember zooming in on one chest xray and thinking “are these ground glass opacities or is this pic just grainy AF”. The audio in the videos was whack too, like voiced over lines on a video felt like I was a watching a bad anime dub. Heart sounds were so much better for me because mine played entirely normal sounds/much quieter murmurs over positions that arent the main location vs step which had slightly softer murmurs depending on where you listened + breath sounds in the background. Also theres still that one annoying issue where if you close out of a video without pausing itll endlessly keep playing in the background.

+1 to a handful of ortho type/classification qs tho, but mine were slightly easier than described above

I wrote that late last night and I should have prefaced this with saying I already took level 2 and am just bitter about the quality of a few of the x rays. I figured everyone had the same problem but I’m glad it hasn’t been a huge issue. Like scrubs101 said Some very grainy images for me. Things that I usually feel comfortable picking out on x ray took way too much time looking and ultimately had to guess between two choices that I feel like should have been easy to choose between with a half decent x ray. but that’s the end of my rant.

yes that weird audio continuing once you close down the window is annoying.

Agreed about random detailed next step questions too.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Current third year asking for your all's expertise: is Case Files a useful resource for COMATs? And if so, is it useful for all specialties or only certain ones? I'm already using OME, Dorian and UWorld.

I think the most effective and efficient strategy to use in 3rd year is anki cards plus as many questions as you can handle. OME and books like Case Files just are not needed to do well and I view them as a waste of time. I used the dorian deck with UW, amboss, and then a COMAT specific qbank (either comquest or truelearn). With that strategy I averaged 129 over the 7 COMATS I took in 3rd year.

• Wow
I think the most effective and efficient strategy to use in 3rd year is anki cards plus as many questions as you can handle. OME and books like Case Files just are not needed to do well and I view them as a waste of time. I used the dorian deck with UW, amboss, and then a COMAT specific qbank (either comquest or truelearn). With that strategy I averaged 129 over the 7 COMATS I took in 3rd year.

Is a COMAT-specific bank necessary or will UWorld suffice? I would rather not spend the extra money but will if it’s necessary. I basically just 2x speed through all the OME videos to get a baseline since they’re all in the Dorian deck.

Is a COMAT-specific bank necessary or will UWorld suffice? I would rather not spend the extra money but will if it’s necessary. I basically just 2x speed through all the OME videos to get a baseline since they’re all in the Dorian deck.

I think UW might be enough to honor most/all the COMATs. Hard to tell exactly because I went way overboard with questions. If honoring is your goal and you fall short with just UW, maybe add in AMBOSS or another qbank to fill in gaps.

I think UW might be enough to honor most/all the COMATs. Hard to tell exactly because I went way overboard with questions. If honoring is your goal and you fall short with just UW, maybe add in AMBOSS or another qbank to fill in gaps.

Luckily my first few rotations are in specialties that I have no interest in so I can trial and error with the COMATs. The rotations I really want to honor aren’t until the spring so hopefully I have it figured out by then.

Step 1: 230s
Level 1: 670s

Resources: UWORLD x 2, Dr High Yield, first aid for step 1 (stats only), Divine podcast
For osteopathic stuff: OME, savarese green book

UWORLD first pass: 74%

NBME 7: 235 (3 weeks out)
UWSA1: 267 (2 weeks out)
UWSA2: 251

Step 2: 261
Level 2: 887

I studied purely for USMLE and crammed 2 days of OMM before COMLEX. I wish I would have found divine podcasts earlier. I tried to really learn topics more in depth During dedicated this year rather than get through material fast. Really surprised with my score. I was hoping to be in the low to mid 250s.

I definitely flagged a higher percentage of questions on COMLEX. I found it more difficult to narrow it down to one answer than STEP. Thought OPP was straightforward though.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
I read case files for each shelf. It did help me a lot. My resources for shelf were case files, OME, and uworld.

Anyone else think UWSA2 was significantly harder and much more ambiguous/vague than UWSA1?

UWSA1- 249 1.5 weeks ago
UWSA2- 244 today

I scored 10% worse on UWSA2. I don’t remember if I thought it was more vague or not. I’ve seen people on here increase but most people I’ve talked to in person had a decrease in score from UWSA1 to 2.

I'm torn on the NBME's. On one hand I don't think they are predictive at all, but on the other I do think there is utility in seeing how the NBME test writers think about certain topics. There is definitely a pattern in what they ask about that I noticed on Step 1, and have heard from the people I know that have already taken Step 2.

This is an accurate take. NBME 6-8 for Step 2 we’re much less valuable imo than NBMEs for Step 1.

In terms of “likeness” to the test, here’s my rough opinion:
New F120
UW2
UW1
NBME 7
Old F120
NBME 8
NBME 6

So in theory, yeah prioritize. But I think people ask the wrong question when it comes to NBMEs. It’s not “likeness” that matter in difficulty or style, it’s the content. They’re literally the writers of Step 2, so it’s important to look at the questions on NBMEs and analyze what concept they want you to know. Chances are, some of them will be on the test in a more difficult question or a wrong answer choice. So yes I think they’re 100% worth doing if you have the right mindset about them.

Anyone else kinda wishing they did worse on step 1 so they wouldn’t have to go as high on step 2? Sort of not joking...

• Hmm
Reactions: 10 users
It's absurd how a 225 --> 245 can sometimes be perceived as better than a 240 --> 245
Really? I think the latter looks way better but maybe that’s just me. I do respect when someone makes a big jump though, not easy to do

It's absurd how a 225 --> 245 can sometimes be perceived as better than a 240 --> 245
If my friends who got a 240–>250, then they’ve progressed well and have been consistent throughout med school.

But if you get a 255–>250, have you been slacking off?

If my friends who got a 240–>250, then they’ve progressed well and have been consistent throughout med school.

But if you get a 255–>250, have you been slacking off?

People love a good comeback story more than they love someone being consistent. Can you imagine if Will Smith in pursuit of happiness was just successful from the beginning.

Step 2: 270, Level 2 TBD (cuz while the NBME is getting scores back in half the time, NBOME is doubling how long it takes lolz)
New F120: 88% (1 day out)
UW2: 271; Old F120: 93% (4 days out)
NBME8: 261 (10 days out)
UW2: 264 (3 weeks out)
NBME6: 239 (4 weeks out)
NBME7: 245 (5 weeks out)
Step 1: 26X
Level 1: 75X
UW First Pass: 82%
AMBOSS First Pass: 80%

Shelf Exams (COMATs)
Medicine: 133 (99th)
Family Medicine: 114 (91st)
Psychiatry: 116 (94th)
Surgery: 116 (94th)
Pediatrics: 124 (99th)
Ob/Gyn: 113 (90th)

Used UW (1 pass + incorrects/missed), AMBOSS (90% done), COMQUEST (90% done), Anki (matured about 14K WiWa/Dorian cards and made about 2000 cards myself over the year), Divine Podcasts (step 2 review series + a few HY episodes, I think 37/97/184 and military), and OME (only did during year for shelf exams, wasn't specific enough for dedicated and a couple errata actually made me miss UW questions). The last week I also did one NBME practice shelf exam a day (2 in each specialty except FM; the new forms 5 and 6) because my school does COMATs; I think that helped to see more NBME-style questions. 5 weeks of dedicated but had medicine and surgery shelves last so just did timed random UW blocks like i was kinda in dedicated. Just did 120-200 questions a day with review and went for a walk twice while listening to Divine. Nothing special there. Would tear up dubs on Call of Duty every night. Didn't go balls to the wall like Step 1 dedicated.

Didn’t feel terrible or great coming out, mostly just happy with being done. Test felt most like a mix of UW, New Free 120, and who tf knows questions NBME-style; marked on average about 5-12 questions per block. Go through the Divine notes which are found on Reddit the morning of your test. I didn't have as many questions from that as others, but some friends said they got up to 10-15 questions from the Divine Risk Factors google doc. Felt more difficult than Step 1. 50% was gimme or near-gimme, 25% took a little thought but could get to the answer or choose between 2, 20% was down to 3+ answers with an educated guess, and 5% was like that "wat" old lady meme.

In descending order of "likeness", Step 2 felt most like New F120, UW2, UW1, NBME7, Old F120, NBME8, and NBME6. Don't do the NBME's for predictive purposes, rather use them as a study tool.

Level 2 was a total **** show. I can’t believe this test is being used to license doctors. 20% of it was weird ethics that only a small part was covered in the Turn Up deck or DirtyMedicine videos. A lot of gimmes. I ended up just blasting through it because I was so over the NBOME’s crap. I studied for about 1 hour the day between my Step and Level for OMM. That was plenty. I think no more than 2 days should ever be taken between the tests. Didn’t do any Level 2 practice tests We’ll see how I did though. Don’t get my score back til early August.

Hindsight is 2020
Things I would have done differently: not done COMQUEST during the year and just did UW. Then do incorrects/missed like I did but try to do UW again and then AMBOSS questions that are 2-4 hammer in difficulty (the 1 hammers are gimmes and the 5 hammers are way too nitpicky), depending on how time would have shaken out. Would have done Divine podcasts throughout the year and not tried to watch any OME videos during dedicated. Also would have preferred to not have a pandemic to deal with.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have either here or DM.

Got my Level 2 back today: 775

Not that anyone probably cares, but if you have Level 2 specific questions hmu.

• Wow
Step 1: 236
Level 1: 593

Step 2: 238
Level 2: 608

Not sure what happened here. I was scoring higher on my practice exams prior to Level 2 and Step 2 (upper 240s and lower 250s) so I'm not exactly sure why I under performed so much on both. I also have no idea how this effects my chances of matching into EM, particularly since I'll only have the one SLOE this year. Based off of the recent NRMP data I'm either slightly above average or right around the average for all of my board scores, but from what I understand PDs like to see a jump between the two years and I basically had a little blip.

Step 1: 236
Level 1: 593

Step 2: 238
Level 2: 608

Not sure what happened here. I was scoring higher on my practice exams prior to Level 2 and Step 2 (upper 240s and lower 250s) so I'm not exactly sure why I under performed so much on both. I also have no idea how this effects my chances of matching into EM, particularly since I'll only have the one SLOE this year. Based off of the recent NRMP data I'm either slightly above average or right around the average for all of my board scores, but from what I understand PDs like to see a jump between the two years and I basically had a little blip.

The match rate for people with Step 1 and Step 2 scores 231-240 was 90.2% (74/82) and 85.9% (85/99), respectively, for DOs according to the 2020 data. The odds are in your favor, especially with strong COMLEX scores, applying shrewdly, and doing well on your one audition and interviews.