USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As 2018 approaches and people are starting to rev up for their CK studying I figured I would start the 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread.

As always please follow all of the forum / NBME / USMLE etc.. rules and regulations when posting.

My dedicated starts tomorrow, have about 6 weeks to study over the holidays. Hoping for a 250 +, scored a 26x on step 1.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I took step 2 over two weeks ago meaning I should be getting my score this Wednesday. I’m driving myself insane thinking if I failed or not. I got a 228 and a 226 on UWSA 1 and 2 respectively and 215 on NBME 8. On the test I had a panic attack through out the first 3 blocks and didn’t get to answer 30 Questions. Please someone tell me there’s a chance I passed

I took step 2 over two weeks ago meaning I should be getting my score this Wednesday. I’m driving myself insane thinking if I failed or not. I got a 228 and a 226 on UWSA 1 and 2 respectively and 215 on NBME 8. On the test I had a panic attack through out the first 3 blocks and didn’t get to answer 30 Questions. Please someone tell me there’s a chance I passed

Sounds like next week you’ll find out l. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the nbme clinical science master series question sets for shelf exams useful for step 2? Same question for the clinical medicine sets. It’s well know the three NBMEs are useful but wanted input prior to dumping uhhhh 400 bucks on all 20 something of the clinical shelf things the nbme has. Thanks.

Helpful = good for content not score predictions since I’m taking it no matter what lmao

Just to clarify not asking about practice for shelf’s just step 2

Reactions: 1 user
Are the nbme clinical science master series question sets for shelf exams useful for step 2? Same question for the clinical medicine sets. It’s well know the three NBMEs are useful but wanted input prior to dumping uhhhh 400 bucks on all 20 something of the clinical shelf things the nbme has. Thanks.

Helpful = good for content not score predictions since I’m taking it no matter what lmao

Just to clarify not asking about practice for shelf’s just step 2
I wouldnt do "all" of them personally....except for maybe Medicine CMS....after one or two the questions start repeating themselves....at least thats what I have seen in my experience. I might do all CMS forms for Medicine just because its such a large chunk of the exam....I find them useful just to get an idea of question style and pattern.

Received my result 227.
UWSA 1: 209 (6 months out)
NBME 6: 209 (10 weeks out)
NBME 7: 233 (4 weeks out)
NBME 8: 224 ( 2 weeks out)
UWSA 2: 247 (2 days out)
Chances to match in IM? Old grad IMG

Hey guys.

Gave my exam on 11/1.

Uworld average was 66%

NBME 7 (offline): 79.5%
UWSA 2: 220
UWSA 1: 256
NBME 8: 215 with 40 qs wrong (freaked me out 2 days before the exam)

Real Deal: 231
Step 1: 232

I feel like none of the diagnostic tests are accurate, they're just off. So just trust your gut. Not euphoric about my score but I realise it could've been worse. Content overall.

Hey guys IMG here!

Resources
  1. UWORLD
  2. OnlineMedEd
  3. my Step 1 notes

Preparation

June 2018- July 2018: Review of step 1 material & OME videos (taking my own notes !) (approximately 5h/day)

DEDICATED (August 2018- October 2018)

1. 15 Aug: NBME 6 (baseline) --> 225
  2. 17 Aug- 6 Sep: UWorld (1 block/day). Taking notes, enriching my OME notes that I created during June/July.
  3. 7 Sep- 18 Sep: Review my notes.
  4. 19 Sep: 2 assessments back to back & 1h total break--> NBME 7--> 215 & UWSA1-->247
  5. 21 Sep- 23 Sep: CMS ( IM-1,2,3 Peds-1,2 Surgery-1,2 ObGyn-1,2... not sure if I correctly remember the forms that I did, but I definitely did NOT do them all)
  6. 24 Sep- 7 Oct: UWorld (2 blocks/day). Taking notes, enriching the notes that I had already created.
  7. 8 Oct-13 Oct: Review notes.
  8. 14 Oct: NBME 8--> 243 & 4x UW blocks
  9. 15 Oct- 18 Oct: UWorld (2 blocks/day). Taking notes, enriching the notes that I had already created.
  10. 19 Oct: UWSA2--> 260s (cheated in a few questions)
  11. 20 Oct- 29 Oct: Review notes
  12. (23 Oct--> practice session at prometric center= free 120q's--> 81%)
  13. 30 Oct 2018: REAL TEST--> 254

Comments
1. Anki
I only used Zanki's Anki deck for ObGyn and Surgery. This will save you a lot time, as you will realise that some basic concepts of ObGyn, Surgery will stick to your mind without effort.

2. Hours per day during dedicated
August: 6h/day
September: 7-8h/day
October: 8-9h/day

3. Post-exam feelings
So much different from step 1. Walking out from the prometric, I had literally NO CLUE of how I did perform. Getting closer to the date that I would get my report back I started feeling anxious and didn't want to talk about that. Weird feeling I had not experienced before. Anyway, I can see that that's a common experience of almost all of us who took CK.

Good Luck to all of you!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys.

Gave my exam on 11/1.

Uworld average was 66%

NBME 7 (offline): 79.5%
UWSA 2: 220
UWSA 1: 256
NBME 8: 215 with 40 qs wrong (freaked me out 2 days before the exam)

Real Deal: 231
Step 1: 232

I feel like none of the diagnostic tests are accurate, they're just off. So just trust your gut. Not euphoric about my score but I realise it could've been worse. Content overall.

Hm, took it on the same day but my score is ‘t available. So strange. It’s not 11am yet, wonder how you got yours an hour ahead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone please

I took it Monday. I do not feel good about it. I felt like I had so many questions with 2 equivalently good answers and it was really just splitting hairs which was better. I had one block that was much more distressing than the others. I was marking ~1/4-1/3 of the questions each block.
My Uworld practices were 240-250s.

Everyone tells me they feel like garbage coming out of it so I'm hoping that is just normal, but I'm not terribly optimistic .

It seems like people have been scoring below their UWSA 1-2 exams recently. Probably reporting bias like another poster stated earlier, but makes you wonder what is going on. Also, are scores released on the 3rd of 4th Wednesday?

UWorld 1 256 1 mo before, UWorld 2 265 2 weeks before. Free 120 95% finished 20mins early for each section.
I almost always do better on actual exams, so I expected to get around 260. Sad to learn that the real deal is only high 240, I’ll get over it pretty quickly because it’s not a bad score and the difference is unlikely to affect my prospect much at this point given I am in the mid interview seasons already. Still kinda sad. I enjoyed the studying and really thought I had known all the UWORLD content solid.

UWorld 1 256 1 mo before, UWorld 2 265 2 weeks before. Free 120 95% finished 20mins early for each section.
I almost always do better on actual exams, so I expected to get around 260. Sad to learn that the real deal is only high 240, I’ll get over it pretty quickly because it’s not a bad score and the difference is unlikely to affect my prospect much at this point given I am in the mid interview seasons already. Still kinda sad. I enjoyed the studying and really thought I had known all the UWORLD content solid.

Sent from my iPhone using

High 240's is a great score, but I do understand your frustration of underperforming. How did you feel leaving the exam?

It seems like people have been scoring below their UWSA 1-2 exams recently. Probably reporting bias like another poster stated earlier, but makes you wonder what is going on. Also, are scores released on the 3rd of 4th Wednesday?
Scores are usually released the 3rd week after the week you took your exam and always on Wednsday of this week (this is either the 3rd or the 4th Wednsday after your exam date)

STEP 2CK: 267

US MD PhD student.

Med 3 NBMEs:
Surgery: 85%, ObGyn: 81%
Psych: 90%, Neurology: 86% IM: 85%
Pediatrics: 90%, Family Med: 85%

I used Anki decks that I found online for the clerkship but usually stopped doing the cards after the clerkship.

During med 3, I completed all of my UWorld questions for the respective clerkship. On weekends, I would do one block of random questions from all subjects to keep my learning broad. Importantly, I marked only correct questions that I thought were complicated or I did not know all of the answer choices. I marked none of the incorrect questions. This kept my completed questions in two separate pools.

At the end of med 3, my first pass UWorld score was 72% correct. My average for the first three months was closer to 65%, but this steadily improved. By the end of med 3, I had marked about 600 questions. In February, I also opened a Kaplan Qbank to supplement my learning on topic-specific questions, but I only used about 200 questions by May.

Dedicated Studying.

I completed all of my incorrect questions on Uworld at a rate of ~70-75% correct. I marked only correct questions that I did not fully feel comfortable with. Then I completed my "Marked Correct" questions (~75-80%). I then finished any last incorrect questions that came from completing the ~600 "Marked Correct" questions. Only then did I reset the question bank, ~15 days before my Step 2 exam. I took a 5-day break from the Uworld Qbank and exclusively focused on the Kaplan Q-bank at about 65-75% correct.

In the final 5 days before my exam, I did Uworld all, random, timed and was scoring >90% correct each block. By this point, most questions seemed easy and I was finishing blocks with >20minutes to spare, but I was also recognizing questions from previous attempts. I knew the Uworld Qbank so well that these questions were diminishing margins of return, so I decided to devote more time to my Kaplan Qbank where I was scoring around 70% instead. I continued Zanki cards (~300/day) throughout this.

STATS
Step 1: 252
(2013 before PhD)
Uworld first pass: 72%
Uworld (after reset): 93%
(only 400 questions completed)
Kaplan 2CK: 70% (only 800 questions completed)

Free 120Q: 85% (August)
UWSA1: 260 (October 7th)
UWSA2: 252 (October 20th)
NBME8: 259 (October 24th)

Actual STEP 2 CK: 267 (Oct 28th)
  • Worst subjects: MSK/Skin/SoftTissue, Female Reproductive
  • Best subjects: Immunology (PhD on this subject), Nervous system (matching into NSG)
How much dedicated time did I devote to Step 2CK?

Approximately 4 weeks of interrupted time. I studied Uworld in between neurosurgery subinternships throughout the summer. After my final subinternship, I was looking forward to 3 weeks of dedicated preparation, but October interviews interrupted my second week of studying. I originally planned to take Step 2CK on October 31st (Halloween), but I got an interview invite for that day so 7 days before my planned Step 2CK, I moved UP the exam by 3 days so I could make the interview. That was stressful, but I knew I was ready to do well. I only sacrificed a few days on Zanki and probably ~320 Uworld and Kaplan questions.​

TL/DR: Mark your correct answers but do NOT mark your incorrect answers. Kaplan Qbank is a decent secondary resource once you master Uworld. I over-performed from my practice exams.

AMA. Good luck!

Last edited:
Mind sh
STEP 2CK: 267

US MD PhD student.

Med 3 NBMEs:
Surgery: 85%, ObGyn: 81%
Psych: 90%, Neurology: 86% IM: 85%
Pediatrics: 90%, Family Med: 85%

I used Anki decks that I found online for the clerkship but usually stopped doing the cards after the clerkship.

During med 3, I completed all of my UWorld questions for the respective clerkship. On weekends, I would do one block of random questions from all subjects to keep my learning broad. Importantly, I marked only correct questions that I thought was complicated or I did not know all of the answer choices. I marked none of the incorrect questions. This kept my completed questions in two separate pools.

At the end of med 3, my first pass UWorld score was 72% correct. My average for the first three months was closer to 65%, but this steadily improved. By the end of med 3, I had marked about 600 questions. In February, I also opened a Kaplan Qbank to supplement my learning on topic-specific questions, but I only used about 200 questions by May.

Dedicated Studying.

I completed all of my incorrect questions on Uworld at a rate of ~70-75% correct. I marked only correct questions that I did not fully feel comfortable with. Then I completed my "Marked Correct" questions (~75-80%). I then finished any last incorrect questions that came from completing the ~600 "Marked Correct" questions. Only then did I reset the question bank, ~15 days before my Step 2 exam. I took a 5-day break from the Uworld Qbank and exclusively focused on the Kaplan Q-bank at about 65-75% correct.

In the final 5 days before my exam, I did Uworld all, random, timed and was scoring >90% correct each block. By this point, most questions seemed easy and I was finishing blocks with >20minutes to spare, but I was also recognizing questions from previous attempts. I knew the Uworld Qbank so well that these questions were diminishing margins of return, so I decided to devote more time to my Kaplan Qbank where I was scoring around 70% instead. I continued Zanki cards (~300/day) throughout this.

STATS
Step 1: 252
(2013 before PhD)
Uworld first pass: 72%
Uworld (after reset): 93%
(only 400 questions completed)
Kaplan 2CK: 70% (only 800 questions completed)

Free 120Q: 85% (August)
UWSA1: 260 (October 7th)
UWSA2: 252 (October 20th)
NBME8: 259 (October 24th)

Actual STEP 2 CK: 267 (Oct 28th)
  • Worst subjects: MSK/Skin/SoftTissue, Female Reproductive
  • Best subjects: Immunology (PhD on this subject), Nervous system (matching into NSG)
How much dedicated time did I devote to Step 2CK?

Approximately 4 weeks of interrupted time. I studied Uworld in between neurosurgery subinternships throughout the summer. After my final subinternship, I was looking forward to 3 weeks of dedicated preparation, but October interviews interrupted my second week of studying. I originally planned to take Step 2CK on October 31st (Halloween), but I got an interview invite for that day so 7 days before my planned Step 2CK, I moved UP the exam by 3 days so I could make the interview. That was stressful, but I knew I was ready to do well. I only sacrificed a few days on Zanki and probably ~320 Uworld and Kaplan questions.​

TL/DR: Mark your correct answers but do NOT mark your incorrect answers. Kaplan Qbank is a decent secondary resource once you master Uworld. I over-performed from my practice exams.

AMA. Good luck!

Would you mind sharing how you felt after the exam. I traditontraly score well but I know I missed at least 15 on my exam and probably more. Pretty anxious to see my final acore.

Mind sh

Would you mind sharing how you felt after the exam. I traditontraly score well but I know I missed at least 15 on my exam and probably more. Pretty anxious to see my final acore.

Sure.

Day of Exam

I took the time to complete the 15-minute manual. This cut into my break-time but calmed my nerves and I got comfortable with the chair, desk, software, and testing environment. Silence is important to me, so I checked that I could wear ear-plugs and still hear the headset sounds (ie for heart auscultation questions). Clicking the mouse to cross-out answers was harder than on Uworld software. Annoying! I probably wasted a cumulative 3 minutes throughout the exam just trying to strike-out wrong answers.

I did three blocks in a row and felt my concentration was fatiguing toward the end of the third block, so I took a 20-minute break to go to the bathroom and eat (grapes, red bull, protein bar). I did two more blocks then took a 10-minute break. One more block and took my final break with two more question blocks remaining. My energy drink helped me in my final break for the final two blocks. Have sufficient food.

I was able to finish each block with 6-20minutes to review, which was different from when I took Step One. I usually read the last sentence of the question first, and often I would also read the second-to-last sentence because on UWorld the critical, differentiating clue is commonly there. Then I would read the first sentence. Sometimes, just out of habit, if my eyes started reading the first line and the stem was short, I just kept reading.

I tend to overflag questions in UWorld. On the exam, my first section was easy; 4 questions were flagged at the end that I felt 50-50 on. The penultimate block one was my toughest and I must have flagged close to 20 question. That was the first and only block when I felt unsure about how my exam would turn out. Throughout the exam, I got the first of the paired questions correct, so that boosted my confidence. On Step 1, I remember missing the first of paired questions and then being hung up on it.

Walking out of the exam, I was confident that I scored at least within one standard deviation of my practice exams, so at least 240s, and estimated that I would be in mid 250s or maybe low 260s. I was mentally tired but also excited to be done, so I went home and stayed up until about 1AM trying to figure out if I got answers wrong or right. I was happy to find out I got a 267 right before Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
It seems like people have been scoring below their UWSA 1-2 exams recently. Probably reporting bias like another poster stated earlier, but makes you wonder what is going on. Also, are scores released on the 3rdwa
is that true? Are uwsas not predictable theses days? And what could be the reason of reporting bias

Took the exam on Nov 7th, my permit disappeared but not able to register for Dtep 3. Read somewhere about if you passed you would be able to register for step 3. Haven’t gotten my CS scores yet either, permit still there, took it October 24th. Does permit disappearing but not being able to register for step 3 mean anything?

Took the exam on Nov 7th, my permit disappeared but not able to register for Dtep 3. Read somewhere about if you passed you would be able to register for step 3. Haven’t gotten my CS scores yet either, permit still there, took it October 24th. Does permit disappearing but not being able to register for step 3 mean anything?
Does not work if you haven't taken CS. Only works if it's the last exam preventing you from taking step 3. My pernit never disappeared for step 1 and I still got my score on the projected date (i.e. third Wednesday of a Saturday exam)

Took mine nov 20th. Came out numb as well like i sleep walked through the exam lol. I don’t remember anything on it. Hoping I pass and do better than step 1
How u overall felt while taking exam. Im not asking about anything regarding exam,just what were your feeling about if it was doable . Im so scared idk. I didn’t have this feeling when i took step1.
In ck i feel like i was clicking answers without critical thinking

Does not work if you haven't taken CS. Only works if it's the last exam preventing you from taking step 3. My pernit never disappeared for step 1 and I still got my score on the projected date (i.e. third Wednesday of a Saturday exam)

Can't apply for Step 3. Gave exam on Nov 10. Have passed Step 1, CS. I hope my result doesnt come tomorrow!

How u overall felt while taking exam. Im not asking about anything regarding exam,just what were your feeling about if it was doable . Im so scared idk. I didn’t have this feeling when i took step1.
In ck i feel like i was clicking answers without critical thinking
Most of the questions, i had no idea what was going on in the vignettes. Was guessing 50-60% of time. Self assessment scores were very poor (211 and 214) so no encouragement there at all.

Ok just received my score - 239 i‘m somewhat disappointed

UWSA1 252
NBME6 228
NBME7 220
NBME8 228
UWSA2 250

Obviously my score was somewhat between NBME and UWSA

Most of the questions, i had no idea what was going on in the vignettes. Was guessing 50-60% of time. Self assessment scores were very poor (211 and 214) so no encouragement there at all.
Goodluck dear. I pray u pass with ur desired scores

UWSA1 252
NBME6 228
NBME7 220
NBME8 228
UWSA2 250

Congratulations u did it.
Can u plz share ur exam day experience, how u felt about exam day and questions? We’re questions doable?how many percentayu felt like u know what they’re asking? And how many percentage approx u had no idea

Congratulations u did it.
Can u plz share ur exam day experience, how u felt about exam day and questions? We’re questions doable?how many percentayu felt like u know what they’re asking? And how many percentage approx u had no idea

Sure - I did onlinemeded and uworld. uworld first turn 64%, second turn 93%(did about 600 questions)
I also practiced doing 8 blocks (4 blocks uworld and a practice exam) a day a couple of times to see what the real thing feels... Despite that the exam itself was brutal... Did 2 blocks - 10mins break, 2 blocks 20mins break and then 10mins after each block...

Sure - I did onlinemeded and uworld. uworld first turn 64%, second turn 93%(did about 600 questions)
I also practiced doing 8 blocks (4 blocks uworld and a practice exam) a day a couple of times to see what the real thing feels... Despite that the exam itself was brutal... Did 2 blocks - 10mins break, 2 blocks 20mins break and then 10mins after each block...

Congratulations! It wasn't easy!

You finished uworld before dedicated time? And how long was your dedicated time?

Last edited:

UWSA1 252
NBME6 228
NBME7 220
NBME8 228
UWSA2 250

Congrats on getting that brutal exam done with! Do you mind sharing when you took the exam and if they emailed you about your score becoming available? I thought scores were released 11am EST.

Did anyone
Congrats on getting that brutal exam done with! Do you mind sharing when you took the exam and if they emailed you about your score becoming available? I thought scores were released 11am EST.

I'm resigning myself to the fact scores might be releasing next week. I got my step 1 and cs scores at 8:30 EST. I gave my CK on Nov 10 (saturday). But maybe it comes at different times for different people.

I think there is no fixed time on the release day - I received Step1 and 2 both at around 8am but I heard from people getting them around 11am too.

And for the other questions - I didn't really have much of a dedicated period - I'm an IMG, used to be a resident in Europe and now I'm working in research full time in the US at the moment which makes it easier to prepare for the steps. I tried to study about 4 hours per day (2 early in the morning 2 at night), used my weekends to practice full length exams and then I took 1 week off before the exam. My whole study period must've been around 5 months.
I took my exam on November 8th and I guess over the weekend my permit disappeared.

Same, I expected results today but no luck. One more week. I took it Nov 9. Painful but I guess there is nothing we can do. This process is so freakin frustrating and pointless. One day when we are in charge let's remember to care about students. There is no reason a preliminary range cannot be given within 10 days and then a final score within a month. The miracle of technology is thriving everywhere in the world, but the NBME can't process scores any faster than they could 20 years ago..... Same with the match. Why do we wait from Feb 20 to March 15 pointlessly? Because of tradition? an extra month to process and plan would be extremely helpful for students. Unfortunately, no one seems to care because we must embrace irrational medical traditions.

Yep-our schools can have Wellness Wednesdays or meditation etc, but there are small things that they can do to make medical education less stressful. I have spent two days being absolutely neurotic-could've saved me some time. How much does it take for them to announce the result by a set date. I already informed a few programs that my CK score would be out by this week. It just delays plans. If there was to be a delay I could have spent 3-4 days studying more for my CK. This is ridiculous.

Same, I expected results today but no luck. One more week. I took it Nov 9. Painful but I guess there is nothing we can do. This process is so freakin frustrating and pointless. One day when we are in charge let's remember to care about students. There is no reason a preliminary range cannot be given within 10 days and then a final score within a month. The miracle of technology is thriving everywhere in the world, but the NBME can't process scores any faster than they could 20 years ago..... Same with the match. Why do we wait from Feb 20 to March 15 pointlessly? Because of tradition? an extra month to process and plan would be extremely helpful for students. Unfortunately, no one seems to care because we must embrace irrational medical traditions.

Dont scores come back on the third Wednesday if u took it on a thursday or friday? now i am getting worried if i should take my exam a day before i am scheduled for a dec 28 but need my results by jan 16th