USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As 2018 approaches and people are starting to rev up for their CK studying I figured I would start the 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread.

As always please follow all of the forum / NBME / USMLE etc.. rules and regulations when posting.

My dedicated starts tomorrow, have about 6 weeks to study over the holidays. Hoping for a 250 +, scored a 26x on step 1.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Good question. Mainly because I wanted to use it to get “back in shape” for medicine as I felt that I had forgotten most of what I had learnt during my pre-clinical years. Also I wasn’t too happy with how my PhD went so I wanted something else to show for it (I am in the process of getting my main work published but it’s nothing game-changing).

It was mad trying to juggle thesis + studying but I spaced out the studying over 1 year and I was consistently writing up my publication as I did experiments so all I had to do for the thesis was transfer what I had written for the publications over. My school allows us to submit a thesis by publications so that helped.

Looking back, I would advice people who want to optimize their scores to do it after core rotations. But at the same time I am glad that I have step 2 out of the way so my focus this year will be on applying for electives and getting my clinical skills up to snuff + some time on the side to do a little bit of research as well.

thanks for sharing. i'm about 6 months out from returning to M3 year from the PhD and was just going to lightly to moderately pre-study/refresh my memory (OME, SU2M, Case Files). it really takes a lot of balls in my mind to take step 2 ck before the clerkships! congrats!

thanks for sharing. i'm about 6 months out from returning to M3 year from the PhD and was just going to lightly to moderately pre-study/refresh my memory (OME, SU2M, Case Files). it really takes a lot of balls in my mind to take step 2 ck before the clerkships! congrats!

You’re definitely on the right track with OME, SU2M! In retrospect, perhaps more stupid than ballsy but glad it kinda worked out in the end. Hope your PhD went well and you’re excited to be back in Medicine. Hang in there! Almost at the finish line. Best of luck for everything.

Took my exam 28 dec 2018. Got scores today: 261.

Left the exam feeling like I failed. Everything was a blur. Trust your practice scores.

Uworld: 1st pass 69%, 2nd pass 94%
Amboss: 69%
Kaplan: 76%
Kaplan simulated: 78%, 86%
CMS forms: 80-90% for all except psych; psych was difficult imo
NBME 6: 247 (3 months out), 7: 262, 8: 27x (low 270s) 7 and 8 done 3-4 days out
UWSA1: 290 (super inflated as I did zanki which covers UWSA)
UWSA2: 27x (super inflated as I did zanki)

I’m an MD-PhD IMG student who did the exam before completing any core rotations. I have only done 3 months of (med and surg) rotations prior to taking the step. Studied 1y part-time (during my last PhD year) and used it to ease the transition back into medicine after PhD. Have not done any psych, obs/gyn, or paeds. Did not find any one in a similar position as I was so just thought I would share my experience: it is possible to do okay even without completing core rotations although I would advice against it. Exam was very difficult and I left the exam thinking that the only thing that I could have done to improve my scores was more time on the wards.

Resources:
- SU2M and MTB (only used it as I had not been doing medicine for 4 years due to PhD so needed something to help relearn a lot of things I had forgotten)
- onlinemeded
- zanki and WiWA (very good resources; highly recommend; did both; WiWA is more comprehensive)

Step 1: 261 (2014; done during first year of PhD)
Hey, congrats! Did zanki have uwsa information in the normal deck or are you talking about the separate subdeck?

Members don't see this ad :)
You’re definitely on the right track with OME, SU2M! In retrospect, perhaps more stupid than ballsy but glad it kinda worked out in the end. Hope your PhD went well and you’re excited to be back in Medicine. Hang in there! Almost at the finish line. Best of luck for everything.
Do you think SU2M was necessary? I don’t like the layout of that book

Hi, I have CK in 2 days and I'm freaking out/thinking about pushing my test back. I scored 255 on UWSA1 and 244 on UWSA2 but was tired. I haven't finished UWorld and haven't read any books and I'm thinking about pushing my exam back. I start rotations again Feb 4th and will not have time to study. Don't know what to do. I scored a 230 on Step 1 but didn't study much (got really lucky...have no idea how that happened considering I had a panic attack during the test). Also, for Step 1, I got 240 and 242 on the UWSAs but 230 on the exam...wondering how predictive the UWSAs are for Step 2...any advice will help

Hello Y'all,

I'm a UK FMG, graduated in 2012, and currently doing my best to crack the nut that is the US medical system. My aim is Ortho but it's probably a pipe dream. Step 1 score an incredibly average 231. Anyhow...

8 weeks dedicated (ended up being 10). Started off with OME, paid, went through the pre material, lectures and questions to build a solid foundation. Tried to do a block of Uworld a day on tutor mode during this time. I bought MTB and the other book everyone uses but I didn't read either fully. MTB lacked so much info and the other one is just horrible to read.

NBME 6 at week 6 233. Two more weeks of OME.

Sat UWSA, scored 255 on part 1 and 241 on part 2. Decided to push my exam date from 4 days away to 2 weeks away to give myself time to finish uworld. I'd done about 30% at that point with around 65% average.

Smashed uWorld for 2 weeks, completed it and then started working through some of my incorrects.

2 days out - UWSA 1 again (I had bought it over a year ago, long story) scored 274. Took the FRED and got 93.3%. Looking in good shape right?

Took the test 2 days later... aaaaaaaaand....

Fairly certain I bombed it today. Tons of questions were really vague, not comparable to uWorld IMO. There seemed to be a general paucity of information, lots of terms and a quite a few conditions I wasn't familiar with. Tons of public health, modifiable risk factor type questions and best answer q's that I honestly had no idea about. Couldn't even narrow it down to the classic 50-50 situation with most of the tough ones.

Anyway, result comes back in four weeks. Apologies for being a tease. I'll update you then.

Hello Y'all,

I'm a UK FMG, graduated in 2012, and currently doing my best to crack the nut that is the US medical system. My aim is Ortho but it's probably a pipe dream. Step 1 score an incredibly average 231. Anyhow...

8 weeks dedicated (ended up being 10). Started off with OME, paid, went through the pre material, lectures and questions to build a solid foundation. Tried to do a block of Uworld a day on tutor mode during this time. I bought MTB and the other book everyone uses but I didn't read either fully. MTB lacked so much info and the other one is just horrible to read.

NBME 6 at week 6 233. Two more weeks of OME.

Sat UWSA, scored 255 on part 1 and 241 on part 2. Decided to push my exam date from 4 days away to 2 weeks away to give myself time to finish uworld. I'd done about 30% at that point with around 65% average.

Smashed uWorld for 2 weeks, completed it and then started working through some of my incorrects.

2 days out - UWSA 1 again (I had bought it over a year ago, long story) scored 274. Took the FRED and got 93.3%. Looking in good shape right?

Took the test 2 days later... aaaaaaaaand....

Fairly certain I bombed it today. Tons of questions were really vague, not comparable to uWorld IMO. There seemed to be a general paucity of information, lots of terms and a quite a few conditions I wasn't familiar with. Tons of public health, modifiable risk factor type questions and best answer q's that I honestly had no idea about. Couldn't even narrow it down to the classic 50-50 situation with most of the tough ones.

Anyway, result comes back in four weeks. Apologies for being a tease. I'll update you then.
I feel the same way...I think I took it the day before you .I keep on remembering questions I got wrong...the list keeps going up. Seriously having bad anxiety about it... I'm fairly certain I failed.

I feel the same way...I think I took it the day before you .I keep on remembering questions I got wrong...the list keeps going up. Seriously having bad anxiety about it... I'm fairly certain I failed.

Acute stress disorder. I'm ready for 2 CK.

Took my exam 28 dec 2018. Got scores today: 261.

Left the exam feeling like I failed. Everything was a blur. Trust your practice scores.

Uworld: 1st pass 69%, 2nd pass 94%
Amboss: 69%
Kaplan: 76%
Kaplan simulated: 78%, 86%
CMS forms: 80-90% for all except psych; psych was difficult imo
NBME 6: 247 (3 months out), 7: 262, 8: 27x (low 270s) 7 and 8 done 3-4 days out
UWSA1: 290 (super inflated as I did zanki which covers UWSA)
UWSA2: 27x (super inflated as I did zanki)

I’m an MD-PhD IMG student who did the exam before completing any core rotations. I have only done 3 months of (med and surg) rotations prior to taking the step. Studied 1y part-time (during my last PhD year) and used it to ease the transition back into medicine after PhD. Have not done any psych, obs/gyn, or paeds. Did not find any one in a similar position as I was so just thought I would share my experience: it is possible to do okay even without completing core rotations although I would advice against it. Exam was very difficult and I left the exam thinking that the only thing that I could have done to improve my scores was more time on the wards.

Resources:
- SU2M and MTB (only used it as I had not been doing medicine for 4 years due to PhD so needed something to help relearn a lot of things I had forgotten)
- onlinemeded
- zanki and WiWA (very good resources; highly recommend; did both; WiWA is more comprehensive)

Step 1: 261 (2014; done during first year of PhD)
Out of all the qbanks/practice test you used, which felt like the real thing in regards to question style? I’m debating on going through amboss in these last two weeks but haven’t decided yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Failed step 2 CK with 203 (6 months ago). Retook it and just got my score yesterday.

UWSA 2 = 213 (2 weeks before exam)
Free 120 = 99/120 (%82.5) (3 days before exam)

Step 2 CK = 222.

So happy for you! In same boat, failed now rewaiting for my new score. Still felt crushed after exam but hoping my efforts paid off this time. Did u feel just as bad when u walked out second time?

So happy for you! In same boat, failed now rewaiting for my new score. Still felt crushed after exam but hoping my efforts paid off this time. Did u feel just as bad when u walked out second time?
What were your practice scores first time?
I scored nbme 6 170, uwsa1 230 and uwsa2 245. Test next week and I’m scared af. Been really hard to sleep knowing it’s coming up. Anytime I take a practice test I feel like I stepping on egg shells and I imagine that’s how I’ll feel for the real thing lol

The biggest lesson I learned was that I needed confidence, i know it sounds cliche, but after failing the first time I got a tutor and we went over every topic and tbh I had a sound knowledge base but I KEPT CHANGING ANSWERS DOUBTING MYSELF. So I stopped changing answers, gained some confidence after doing all of uworld again, and better test strategies. You need stamina so eat carbs before bed so u can actually sleep. You will be nervous no way around it, but let that be ur driving force not ur hinderence. Im sure you will do fine, trust all ur hard work will pay off

Reactions: 2 users
The biggest lesson I learned was that I needed confidence, i know it sounds cliche, but after failing the first time I got a tutor and we went over every topic and tbh I had a sound knowledge base but I KEPT CHANGING ANSWERS DOUBTING MYSELF. So I stopped changing answers, gained some confidence after doing all of uworld again, and better test strategies. You need stamina so eat carbs before bed so u can actually sleep. You will be nervous no way around it, but let that be ur driving force not ur hinderence. Im sure you will do fine, trust all ur hard work will pay off
Doubting myself is definitely one of my bigger problems and waste a lot of time!

My two cents: take step 3 ASAP... it is extremely similar to step 2CK and you clearly know the material inside and out! Congratulations on such a great score!

hello, i want to ask if step 3 on the cv helps if one does poorly on step 1? or would they filter out based on low step 1 score and not care about step 3?

hello, i want to ask if step 3 on the cv helps if one does poorly on step 1? or would they filter out based on low step 1 score and not care about step 3?
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this question but from what I've heard/experienced, step 3 doesn't really make a difference for interviewing purposes. IMO, if you did poorly on step 1, you need to focus on acing step 2 ck and then plan based on that. If you score poorly on step 1 and step 2 and then ace step 3, I don't think it helps. If you scored poorly on step 1, aced step 2ck and aced step 3 then you could argue that step 1 was a fluke and the others are a closer representation to your abilities. Even then, a poor step 1 score is difficult to salvage and you'll need to apply broadly (also depends on what your definition of "poor" is and what you're applying to). You can PM if you want

So I gave my exam on the 9th and have been waiting for my results since 4 weeks. I tried the Step 3 trick to apply and for the past week I couldn't apply and today I can. I hope that's a positive sign that I passed!!! I have been stressing out ever since I came out of the exam that I didn't so I'm hoping that the fact that I can register for my Step 3 means I passed!

About what time eastern time were you able to sign up for step 3 on Tuesday ( the day before your exam?). Im trying 3 am still no progress im hoping that later in yhe day it will change

Just got my score back today, thought I may as well add to the data since we are starting a new year.

NBME form 7, 2 days prior - 262
NBME form 8, 1 week prior - 252
UWSA 2, 2 weeks out I think - 269
NBME form 6, approx. 6 weeks prior - 241
UWSA 1, approx. 2 months prior - 260
Uworld average, 1st pass - 76.6% - did not do the questions a second time, but rather just speed read through all the explanations in the last 2 weeks. Would highly recommend that as opposed to wasting time going through the questions themselves again.

Step 2 CK score - 268

Overall Uworld 2 weeks out was pretty accurate so based on that data I'd say Uworld slightly overpredicted where I was at that time, and NBME definitely underpredicted, though not massively in the case of form 7. I also was feeling sick and not 100% on test day so not sure if that factors into things at all but definitely happy with my score regardless :).

Reactions: 4 users
This forum did a great deal to ease my Step 2 worries so....

UWorld first pass: 69%
UWSA 1 2.5 weeks out: 240
UWSA 2 1.5 weeks out: 248

Real Deal: 248 :)

Resources:
OME
I started to read MTB and honestly found it to be rife with outdated/incorrect info as compared to UWorld.

Best of luck to those studying for this beast. For your reference I felt like I bombed the exam, this seems to be the norm so don't freak if you feel the same on test day.

Reactions: 3 users
First time poster. I am a US IMG. Only doing this because I was someone that constantly checked these forums and would see lots of ppl post there NBME scores and then never follow up. I had approximately 2mo of dedicated study. Did UW once throughout 3rd year and once in that dedicated time. Also did my incorrects and marked. First time high 50s%, 2nd time a little better mid-high 60s.

NBME 6: lower 220s (3mo out)
NBME 7: 213 :/ (2mo out)
UWSA1: 236 (6wks out)
UWSA2: 228 (2wks out) PANIC!
NBME 8: 228 (1wk out) more PANIC!

Contemplated changing my date...

Real deal: 254. More than happy w my score. The good Lord truly took care of me.

I will say I am a good test taker bc I did much better on step1 than practice. Just wanted to post to give some ppl hope and share my experience.

Best of luck studying!
HA! Doesn't it feel great :) This is classic me. I remember failing an NBME 1 week before Step 1, and I came out scoring 22 higher than my highest practice test. Now for CK... I did UWSA1 today and scored 238. Real test is 10 days away.

Hello, I am in a bit of a pickle and would love some advice. I have posted my scores below but they are too far apart. My question is do you guys think I should move forward with ck on the 11th?
NBME 6: 224
NBME 7: 213
NBME 8: 209
USWA 1 (1week ago) 246
USWA 2 (today) 224

Just got my score back after an exhausting 4 weeks of waiting.

For some background: I took step 1 and failed with a 185, studied again and retook it and got a 216.

For Step 2 I did UWorld primarily as well as a bit of OME.

I did all the practice exams, however to be honest I did take the NBME exams half heartedly because everyone told me they were very poor at predicting.

NBME 6: 196
NBME 8: 198
NBME 7: 203
Free 120: 81% (untimed)
UWSA1: 222 (I think I was tired that day)
UWSA2: 226 (surprised it was higher??)

Real deal: 237!!!!

Not the most amazing score in the world, but hopefully good enough improvement from Step 1.

Good luck everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
How long before your test date did you take NBME 7? Just took NMBE 7 myself (5 weeks out) and got a 185.

Anyone know how to calculate the Step 2CK score equivalent from the number you get wrong on the NBME practice tests?

Update on my post from a week ago:

Got my score today! Took the exam on April 26. US-IMG from a European school, graduated quite a while ago. It has been a long journey, but feels good finally to be ECFMG certified. All steps passed on the 1st attempt.

Actual 2CK score: 233 (I am more than pleased.)

NBME 3: 210
NBME 4: 206
NBME 6: 207
Kaplan Practice test 60%
NBME 7: 183 (pushed my exam date and focused on the weak areas)
UWSA 1: 230
UWSA 2: 240 (one month before)
NBME 8: 220 (one weak before)

CMS Forms in the week areas (e.g., ObGyn, Neuro, EM, w/scores ranging from 58-84)

Also, UWorld 1st pass 63%, 2nd pass 68% - prompted the need for a more comprehensive review of the incorrect Qs for the 3rd time, and did an additional pass on the weak areas involving 300-400 Qs. Used some UpToDate summaries and algorithms here.

Resources: UWorld, OnlineMedEd, MTB 2CK, review of my own sets of incorrect Qs entered to Memorang

And yes, like everyone else I was worried after the exam because I missed some really easy and obvious questions.

Hope sharing my experience helps. Good luck to all of you!

How long did it take to go from what you got on nbme 7 to UWSA 1? I'm stuck in a similar situation

What Step One related questions does one see on the exam?
Is covering Uworld thoroughly enough for the exam? Or should one look through FA and MTB as well?
When is the latest I should give the exam for this year's match?
Only CK left.

What Step One related questions does one see on the exam?
Is covering Uworld thoroughly enough for the exam? Or should one look through FA and MTB as well?
When is the latest I should give the exam for this year's match?
Only CK left.
man i haven't taken CK yet but i was doing Uworld for step 2 yesterday. got a question asking what the MoA if nitroglycerin in chest pain was. stared at it for 5 minutes

Reactions: 1 user
Step I: 218

UWSA 1 (2 months out): 237
UWSA 2 (1 month out): 244
NBME 6,7,8(each a week apart up to exam): 225, 218, 230

Step II: 256

I’m super stoked with the improvement! I was really down on myself with step I. My goal is IM. It’s crazy because this past week my school said I needed to apply to at least 50 residencies because of the ACGME merge (I’m a DO).

Anyways, what I realized with the first step was I spent WAY too much time trying to RE-read through materials (first AID, pathoma, etc) rather than doing questions (I had roughly 700 questions undone).

For second step, I made sure to go through the Online MedEd vids throughout the year, in addition to using UWorld for shelf study. By the time April rolled around I had taken all of my shelfs. I still had roughly 800 UWorld Qs undone but I reset the bank anyways to try and pace to finish all of questions by my exam date (mid-June). By the end of my study period this time I had roughly 150 questions unfinished (I just take forever with questions). I was much more improved on my “second pass” (60% to 74ish% correct on reset).

The other thing I did differently was I did my questions on tutor mode by category (occasionally I did timed and mixed sets). This helped a lot more because in the process of seeing questions within a specific discipline (eg cardio) it helps with comparing and contrasting things that you can easily mix up. It also gives you the chance to apply a topic you got wrong on a subsequent question to help reinforce understanding. This is in contrast to step I where I did all of my question sets mixed and untimed. I realize that while it simulates the real exam with variety in content and timing, you don’t get the same opportunity to compare and contrast as I had previously mentioned. Anyways, you can get practice with timing/mixed topics with the practice exams.

Also, I saved bioethics/stats questions until the last week before the exam (dirty usmle on youtube was great for quick review before questions).

Lastly, I took two days off prior to this exam (for step 1 I succumbed to the temptation of reviewing things the day before). It really helps for you feel fresh going in.

Overall:
- Get through UWorld! Do a second pass if possible! Try to redo incorrect questions!
- online meded
- rest before exam
- I also had firecracker - the daily questions are great, and having random flash cards are a good way to review if you need a break or change of pace from the UWorld practice questions (less energy and effort but still an opportunity to learn.)

This is my personal experience, so obviously everyone has their own preference. But the important thing is to try and do something different if the first time didn’t work out the way you wanted. For me, getting through more questions and having more reps that way was a game changer.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users