Official 2013-2014 Pulm/CCM fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh sry, yea i meant UPMC

Members don't see this ad.

I would NOT expect an invite from Pitt if you're on a visa, especially an H1b.

The person who got the invite from Pitt is likely from Pitt. In House invites come rather fast.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would NOT expect an invite from Pitt if you're on a visa, especially an H1b.

The person who got the invite from Pitt is likely from Pitt. In House invites come rather fast.

I agree after checking the fellows' profile on UPMC website, FREIDA is not completely reliable though they state sponsor H/J. Should have not apply, just a waste of money.

Last edited:
I'm not from UPMC, but I did go to another great residency program. Best of luck!

zzZZzz..

each day with no news from ERAS is directly proportional to the thoughts of applying to more programs!!

Is there a magic number for how many programs you should apply?
or the average number of programs applied to by an applicant of PCCM?

Interview from Ohio State 7/16.
Good luck to everyone. It is still WAY too early for anyone to freak out. Several programs have not even downloaded applications yet.

Another first rejection for me from Baylor! Well atleast some one looked at the app!

Another first rejection for me from Baylor! Well atleast some one looked at the app!

btw.. baylor never even responded to my initial inquiry email..
does anyone know how their current program is like - website was last updated in 2010 and shows almost all FMG fellows and an average program.
Also, I think the PD is different now??

can somebody throw some light on it?

Hey all! Just a few questions for anyone who might know -

1. I have 4 total letters uploaded and have sent 3. I am still waiting on one letter which I would LIKE to use as my fourth, however I'm not sure how long I should wait for this before I just use the other "back up" as my fourth - any idea what is "too late?"

2. For people who have started getting interview offers or rejections, do these come directly to our email or is it via the "message center" on ERAS? I don't remember how this went down for residency (apparently I mentally blocked out the entire process.....)

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light - good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview from Ohio State 7/16.
Good luck to everyone. It is still WAY too early for anyone to freak out. Several programs have not even downloaded applications yet.
is OSU your home program?

Besides getting all the rejections and none of the invites, i just got an email from University of Arizona. It says "we got your application, don't call us we'll call you"

Interview : Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh. Mostly because my spouse is a resident there!

Besides getting all the rejections and none of the invites, i just got an email from University of Arizona. It says "we got your application, don't call us we'll call you"

I think everyone that applied to U of Arizona got this email. They probably do this just to limit the calls from applicants asking about their "application status".

Please consider posting your interviews / rejections in this forum, so we can keep track of it and know which programs are actively reviewing right now..

Updated List:

Interviews:
1. Albany
2. Allegheny general
3. OSU
4. UPMC

Rejections:
1. Baylor
2. MUSC

I think everyone that applied to U of Arizona got this email. They probably do this just to limit the calls from applicants asking about their "application status".

Haha yeah. I got that generic email today too, as well as one from UW to the similar notion. Still anxiously awaiting my first interview offer...

Adding University of Maryland and Boston U. Medical Center

Interviews:
Albany
Allegheny general
OSU
UPMC
University of Maryland
Boston University Medical Center

Rejections:
Baylor
MUSC

1st invite from NBIM, no rejections yet, same emails from university of Washington and Arizona about application. Cann't focus on boards:(

1st invite from NBIM, no rejections yet, same emails from university of Washington and Arizona about application. Cann't focus on boards:(

NBIM you mean Newark Beth Israel Medical Center? I think they just downloaded my application yesterday. They reveiwed the application so fast.

They had downloaded my application last week.

invite from univ. of cincy

Congrats on interviews everyone.. can everyone who posts invites/rejections on this thread also copy and paste this list and update it with their program of interview/rejections..?

Interviews:

Albany
Allegheny general
OSU
UPMC
University of Maryland
Newark Beth Israel
U Cincinnati
Carillon Clinic VA

Rejections:

Baylor
MUSC

Interviews:

Albany
Allegheny general
OSU
UPMC
University of Maryland
Newark Beth Israel
U Cincinnati
Carillon Clinic VA
Penn State

Rejections:

Baylor
MUSC

Interviews:
Albany
Allegheny general
OSU
UPMC
University of Maryland
Newark Beth Israel
U Cincinnati
Carillon Clinic VA
Penn State
U of Chicago

Rejections:
Baylor
MUSC

Interviews:
Albany
Allegheny general
OSU
UPMC
University of Maryland
Newark Beth Israel
U Cincinnati
Carillon Clinic VA
Penn State
U of Chicago
University of Virginia
Yale

Rejections:
Baylor
MUSC

Interviews:
Alabama
Albany
Allegheny general
OSU
UPMC
University of Maryland
Newark Beth Israel
U Cincinnati
Carillon Clinic VA
Penn State
U of Chicago
University of Virginia
Yale

Rejections:
Baylor
MUSC

Is it weird that haven't heard any invites or rejections thus far? Silence! I know that no news is good news in a way but the silence is a killer! Not just for this sub-specialty but for both!

just frustrated,, silence. Nothing from anywhere. Had applied to 60 programmes. Shall I apply to more or is it too late?

just frustrated,, silence. Nothing from anywhere. Had applied to 60 programmes. Shall I apply to more or is it too late?

I think 60 is a little more than average. I would not waste more money.. just be patient. It's too early - I think only the superstars and internals are getting the interviews right now.. IF you are not either of those, then I wouldnt worry until about mid or late august.

Relax....

Relax....programs are still likely trying figure out if their new 1st years are *****s and deciding if they need to change their interview/rank strategies......

Didn't you get first IV from NBIM?
Hello everyone... I was following forum for last few days...! I applied for PCCM 2014 cycle.... 102 programs...! 1 rejection so far....washigton university,st. louise.....:(

Profile: 4+ years of IMG experience of PCCM ( residency in chest medicine+ critical care) , no gap in medical education.... Community program In IM --chief resident there at present, 11 poster presentation ( 5 chest + 4 Gi + 3 endocrine), 3 oral presentation ( 2 chest + 1 endocrine) and involved in 4 research project...!!

but still NOT A single offer...>!!!!! I m still thinking it is TOO early in season or m I late for season ?????

It is obviously so much frustrating...!! I was thinking to apply few more programs..! please guide me..!!

It's still the second year of this cycle style so it's kind of hard to gauge, but I think it's way to early to freak out about invites. Give it some more time.

Thats the only one! and that too because I had worked there before.
But I live in west coast so expecting at least one iv in this region but none so far!

It's still the second year of this cycle style so it's kind of hard to gauge, but I think it's way to early to freak out about invites. Give it some more time.

I interviewed last year and I agree with JDH - its too early. I am seeing invites sent out earlier this year than last year- but in my experience, interviews rolled out in batches last year. So you may get it in the next batch of invites. Good luck!

Interviews:
Alabama (UAB)
Albany
Allegheny general
Boston University Medical Center (BU)
Carilion Clinic VA
Indiana University (IU)
Newark Beth Israel
OSU
Penn State
U of Chicago
U Cincinnati
University of Maryland
UPMC
University of Virginia
Yale

Rejections:
Baylor
MUSC

Added Indiana University. They are offering interviews on Thursdays (8/15, 8/22, 9/5, 9/12, 10/3,
10/10, and 10/17).

UAB (already listed) are offering interviews on 9/4, 9/9, 9/18, 9/27, 10/7, and 10/18.

Try to keep the list in alphabetical order if possible.