Official 2013-2014 Pulm/CCM fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another LOR question. I have been working as a hospitalist for abt 5 years now and am applying for PCCM fellowship. Do I still need a letter from IM residency PD (who has changed since my residency) or can I just include a letter from my present employer with PCCM letters ? Will appreciate any advice/suggestions. Thanks.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
Thanks for the reply. @ jdh71 - Yes there is a section named as peer reviewed journal abstracts/article, can I include the ATS abstract in this section ?. Thanks !

Another LOR question. I have been working as a hospitalist for abt 5 years now and am applying for PCCM fellowship. Do I still need a letter from IM residency PD (who has changed since my residency) or can I just include a letter from my present employer with PCCM letters ? Will appreciate any advice/suggestions. Thanks.:confused:

that's a good question, go find the program coordinator who posts over in cardiology and ask her

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to all pul/CC applicants.I am a current fellow.I will follow the posts and will give input whenever applicable.

Hey guys

Can I apply to programs in California if I didn't pay fot the California letter?
I was thinking of applying there and if doing the letter later on if I got an interview.

Any idea?

Hey guys

Can I apply to programs in California if I didn't pay fot the California letter?
I was thinking of applying there and if doing the letter later on if I got an interview.

Any idea?
i dont thick you can apply

Gah. Is it taking forever to get LORs uploaded to ERAS post office for anyone else?

Last edited:
Hi,
One quick question, I am applying mostly PMCC, but also to a few Pulm program, so can we mention in the Personal Statement/Interview that I eventually would like to do crit care with a good pulm back ground ?

yeah I am going to write 2 PS but can I mention in my Pulm PS that i would like to do crit care after that

Thanks . So I am not supposed to say that even in Pulm iv that i might do CC after that ..

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks . So I am not supposed to say that even in Pulm iv that i might do CC after that ..

Basically, if you're also considering straight straight pulmonary spots if you make it sound like you want to do critical care too badly they might just think, "why will this guy want to come here when he can go to a combined program??" No girl wants to be second choice for the dance, you know? At interview you can say something like, "I know it's always a consideration but for now I just want to do pulmonary," followed by, "I'm not sure if I want to add a year to my training"

If i am still pending a LOR, should i apply now and upload it later? Or wait for it?

A Work Experience questoin:

I was referring to my good friend Google, when I came across several posts regarding work experience on the ERAS application. Several people had been using rotations done during medical school or residency as significant work experience. i.e. I went to USC, and wrote USC ICU rotation as an example of an experience.

If these rotations are required to graduate from residency, should I still be listing them on my ERAS application?

Do you list moonlighting experiences on the application?

I mean, between medical school and today I havent had much meaningful "work" related experiences outside some brief research I did. That section looks pretty sparse on my applicaiton. If I go back further, it's like my last meaningful experience came 7 years ago :D

Gah. Is it taking forever to get LORs uploaded to ERAS post office for anyone else?

FORRRRR-EV-ERRRRR.

Same here. My residency program office said they uploaded my LORs on Monday (4 days ago). I also uploaded my med school transcript on Monday. Still nothing in ADTS. This delay (and my OCD) is driving me crazy! But like others have said, it's not like many programs will be instantly downloading and reading all applications on 7/15... Or will they? :confused:

hello,
one of my LOR was submitted on Wednesday ( 2 days ago) and still not uploaded... should I apply to pograms wihout that LOR or wait for it to be uploaded ??

Are there any pccm programs that only accept 3 LORS maximum?
Many of the websites say 3 letters but when I call and ask most do accept 4 letters. I want to identify these programs that accept 3 so that I do not give them the option of trashing/ignoring my pd letter, and thus scraping my application.

Already addressed this . . .

ERAS gives you the option to add four letters to the application you send. Just add all four of your letters. Programs that only want three will just download the first three letters so make sure your IM PD letter is the first you attach and that your number two and three are letters you either know to be good or think will be.

Thanks, I saw that.:cool:

Although jdh, looks like one can't "rank" the LORs, they sort of auto arrange.

Precisely. It looks like my PD letter is #3 and my best letter is the #4 letter.. So if there is a program that only accepts 3 total I wanted to make sure and not send #1 xor #2.

Whatever. Doesn't matter anymore.

It used to be whatever order you added them to the program application was the order they would be downloaded. Nice to see they are "fixing" things over at ERAS.

Rejection 1: MUSC
This doesn't bode we'll for my anxiety levels :-/

I wouldn't be sorry man, I don't think they read your application! It's the 16th for god's sake.

I appreciate it
Still stings a bit

Hopefully ill match. Gonna stay positive as possible

Hi everyone.. I am applying for PCCM fellowship next year. Looking forward to an exciting season ahead.
by the way.. I too agree with above, it's too early for rejections - may be the application was screened out by PC for specific criteria (?may be visa etc?)

Probably screened for criteria - doubt its a visa issue, being a US citizen and graduate from a US med school. Oh well, I hope to fare better with the rest of the season

hello everybody
Just applied.. all the best to everyone

are you applying for both PCCM and endo? I saw your message in endo forum as well. just curious.

Hmm interesting some ones doing some research :) no dude. thats my wife posting. she is applying endo. just lazy to get a diff log in id i guess.

looks like a very quiet day here.. any invites/rejects folks?

Probably a little early to start a list..
nonetheless, so far what we know:

Interviews: None

Rejections: MUSC

It's funny, all this anticipation for the 15th then you realize you have weeks to wait.
It's as if we haven't done this before ;)
oh eras, may this be the last damn time. (Make it good pleease!)

MUSC rejected me like 14 minutes after I applied. "The fellowship committee has met to evaluate your application. ..." sure they did.

MUSC rejected me like 14 minutes after I applied. "The fellowship committee has met to evaluate your application. ..." sure they did.

Dude, I am really sorry about the early rejection. Was your application even complete (i.e. have 3 LORs in)?

Still, hang in there, all rejections hurt but you should expect them as we will all get them. Just remember, we will all get interviews as well and that's all that counts. Good luck.

Alrite looks like the season started.
Invite from Albany.

Alrite looks like the season started.
Invite from Albany.

Nice job, congrats! Finally all LORs uploaded yesterday and applied last night, now the waiting game begins...

Got interview from university of Pittsburgh

Perhaps that is why. Are you planning on re-applying once all your LORs are in?

They may be waiting for letters, but letters not being in for ERAS is not uncommon. Unfortunately letter writers only get their letters in so quickly (no matter how much you hound them). You can apply to a program without the letters done and then assign the letters to them once they are uploaded into ADTS...the programs just wait for the letters to get there. Although, I would guess most programs will start to hand out interviews in lieu of the letters making it...I could be wrong.

great going guys.. congrats for all the interviews

Updating the list:

Interviews:
1. Albany
2. UPMC

Rejections:
1. MUSC

great going guys.. congrats for all the interviews

Updating the list:

Interviews:
1. Albany
2. UPMC (I believe that's what you meant by Pittsburgh? the other program in pittsburgh is Allegheny general)

Rejections:
1. MUSC

UPMC is also University of Pittsburgh. (I think)