Netter/QU vs. NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robojobo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Frank Netter SOM / Quinnipiac
Pros
  • New facilities
  • P/F with a small student body that seems to really love the school/faculty
  • Good location, about 1.5 hours from my house
  • New curriculum
  • Eligible for up to 25k (2 yr) scholarship (no guantee I will get it) but its a nice thought

Cons
  • Really the major con for me is that the school is new. I saw the match list which was pretty impressive for a 1st year list (I understand judging a school based off match list is pointless). Just kind of worried about going to a new, smaller school that many people have never heard of which has only had one match
  • Limited research
  • Hospital not on site
  • Step 1 during 3rd year? is this a con?

NYMC:

Pros
  • Lives on campus, close knit community
  • Many nearby clinical sites
  • 1 hour from house
  • Close to NYC
  • Lots of clubs/interest groups
Cons
  • Not P/F (although does not seem to be competitive at all)
  • Fairly negative reviews about Touro
  • Large class size
Summary: I really could see myself going to either school and being very happy. Major concern is attending a newer medical school that does not have much name recognition, anytime I mention Netter to attendings or residents they have never heard of it. Both schools are around the same price and close enough to my house that neither of those are a major factor. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a specialty you are interested in? From what I remember Netter emphasizes primary care. (got II but didn't attend). I had a great impression at NYMC (accepted) and their match list is strong for many specialties.