OHSU (Oregon) vs Quinnipiac (Netter)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mhunter5774

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
OHSU
Pros
  • good match list
  • research and clinical experiences are strong
  • well ranked
  • more diverse patient population
Cons
  • 70k per year (out of state)
Quinnipiac (Netter)
Pros
  • Vibes seem amazing like really supportive and close community that wants to help students succeed
  • Amazing match list, especially for so new a program
  • 30k per year
Cons
  • no internal hospital system -> away rotations highly likely and students mentioned some of their rotations were as far as Boston
  • research opportunities seem limited and need to be found at surrounding institutions like UCONN or Yale
Summary: I really can't decide. I think I want to go into derm so research is really important to me as well as "prestige" of the institution so that makes me lean towards OHSU but I think I would be more supported and academically thrive a bit better at Quinnipiac. I am from Hawaii but am currently living in Boston so Oregon is close to my family, but Netter is also close to my friends so I feel like I would have good support either way. Any insight you have is greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the As! I also was accepted to Netter versus an established state school and share similar sentiments. Netter seems to punch way higher than ranking would suggest, however I do think that it is applicant-dependent. It seems like a no-brainer to go to the school with established home residencies as that greatly increases your chance of matching in competitive specialties. I get the notion that people matching at prestigious residencies from Netter do so in spite of the school, rather than because of it. I agree that the vibes are very positive and it is hard to turn that away, but I really do think OHSU will provide way more support for competitive residency matching. If you are interested in derm, I don't think anyone will tell you to choose Netter over Oregon, myself included.

Again, congrats! I'm sure you will do well no matter what school you go to, but I would choose the one that is better established, has home residencies, and many more research opportunities.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on the As! I also was accepted to Netter versus an established state school and share similar sentiments. Netter seems to punch way higher than ranking would suggest, however I do think that it is applicant-dependent. It seems like a no-brainer to go to the school with established home residencies as that greatly increases your chance of matching in competitive specialties. I get the notion that people matching at prestigious residencies from Netter do so in spite of the school, rather than because of it. I agree that the vibes are very positive and it is hard to turn that away, but I really do think OHSU will provide way more support for competitive residency matching. If you are interested in derm, I don't think anyone will tell you to choose Netter over Oregon, myself included.

Again, congrats! I'm sure you will do well no matter what school you go to, but I would choose the one that is better established, has home residencies, and many more research opportunities.
Thank you so much for this advice, I really appreciate it! Congrats on your As too :)