Net Worth at age 55

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much do you anticipate your net worth will be by age 55?

• Less than 2 million

Votes: 16 6.0%
  • 2-4 million

Votes: 62 23.1%
  • 4-6 million

Votes: 72 26.9%
  • 6-8 million

Votes: 53 19.8%
  • 8-10 million

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • More than 10 million

Votes: 47 17.5%

• Total voters
Are we fairly confident that trump will even be able to.run with all the legal issues going on?

Members don't see this ad.

Are we fairly confident that trump will even be able to.run with all the legal issues going on?
His legal issues are the only reason he's running. There's no solid legal mechanism to remove him from any state ballots, felony conviction or not. Though it will be funny if he's not able to vote for himself.

Running helps him raise money from his cult of idiots - as much as he's stiffed his lawyers in the past, these guys are getting paid up front, so he needs money.

The press coverage he gets from running allows him to continue tampering with jurors and potential jurors.

There's the possibility that if he wins he'll be able to delay or avoid entirely the sentences imposed upon him.

He'll be on the ballot.

It's really disappointing to people who already have plenty of money willing to gamble our entire democracy away on a theoretical tax cut even though our taxes haven't gone up under Biden...

Like if the choice presented was having to pay an extra 5% in taxes in exchange for not having a demented felon in power who wants to destroy the entire federal government and surrender to Russia you would say give me my 5%?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Spending levels have not gone back to 2019 levels causing the deficits to skyrocket. This is due to a democrat controlled congress and Biden. The facts don't lie about the spending. Massive tax hikes are needed to keep up with the out of control spending.

What do you think your graphs and government-as-a-household analogy prove?

Because they definitely don't prove that voting R will help prevent a national debt driven calamity nor do they prove that tax cuts were less significant than excessive spending towards fueling the national debt. There's no analysis in what you've provided.

Frankly, I don't think you're really interested in actual analysis of the national debt problem.

Edit:

From the report I shared earlier:

"...these tax cuts (Bush and Trump) have added $10 trillion to the debt since their enactment and are responsible for 57 percent of the increase in the debt ratio since 2001, and more than 90 percent of the increase in the debt ratio if the one-time costs of bills responding to COVID-19 and the Great Recession are excluded."

I think you have to reckon with these costs of Republican leadership and their greater impact on the national debt.

Last edited:
I haven’t seen that, but that will make for an amazing debate. We’ll see.

My guess is that Trump will keep interrupting Biden while it’s Biden’s turn to speak, and then Trump’s idiot sycophants will somehow interpret the lack of decorum as winning. Afterwards, the MAGA Hats will celebrate by going outside and watering their lawn with Gatorade.

My guess is that Trump will keep interrupting Biden while it’s Biden’s turn to speak, and then Trump’s idiot sycophants will somehow interpret the lack of decorum as winning. Afterwards, the MAGA Hats will celebrate by going outside and watering their lawn with Gatorade.

Gatorade. It’s got what plants crave.

Reactions: 1 users
It's really disappointing to people who already have plenty of money willing to gamble our entire democracy away on a theoretical tax cut even though our taxes haven't gone up under Biden...

Like if the choice presented was having to pay an extra 5% in taxes in exchange for not having a demented felon in power who wants to destroy the entire federal government and surrender to Russia you would say give me my 5%?
I don't want this thread to degrade into politics. There is no convincing either side that the other is destroying this nation. All I can tell you is that the division runs deep and I'd vote for anyone other than Biden just as many feel the same about Trump. The issues each side focuses on are real and matter on a personal level. This goes much deeper than just tax rates. One comment I will make is that the majority of Republicans view Biden as just as much a felon as Trump who has been allowed to skate through his corrupt, partisan DOJ. One guy gets a "free pass" on everything illegal or shady while the other is charged with dozens of felonies. We all know the issues and see the facts on record. Even RFK junior would be a far better choice than Biden. Again, there is no point in political posts in this thread as you are free to start another.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
I don't want this thread to degrade into politics.

Too late.

One comment I will make is that the majority of Republicans view Biden as just as much a felon as Trump

That's idiotic. And one reason why it's so hard to have any respect for the partisan hacks sticking it out and doubling down in the Trump cult. The best they've got is some weak projection of b-b-b-but-Biden.

No, I'm not interested in being polite about it any more.

Reactions: 4 users
Have you listened to anything Trump has said in the last 6 months?

Set aside the stupid or unhinged things he's been saying for years. He's actually incoherent. If he was a family member I'd take him to a doctor. He can't even stay awake in his own criminal trial.

Full disclosure, I think and have always thought he's a giant piece of **** unfit to lead a dog on a leash, much less the country. But in the 90s, 00s, and even his 2016 campaign, he was reasonably articulate and coherent. Even if many of the things he said were dumb, obnoxious, or simply awful.

Completely apart from the issue of whose brain is in more decline, between Trump and Biden, it's also inarguable that one of them surrounds himself with laughably incompetent amateurs and convicted felons, and/or fires dozens of people. And one of them doesn't.

I disagree with Biden and democrats in general on a number of points of policy, but if you think Trump is fit to lead the country through any kind of crisis or unpleasant world events, at this point, unless you just woke up from a coma that started 8 years ago, you're an idiot.

If you're going to vote for Trump anyway because of "policy" reasons, rolling the dice that no serious world events will occur that demand competent leadership or a functional executive branch during his term, then you're a reckless idiot.

For the entirety of his term I gave his supporters the benefit of the doubt. But there's no excuse at this point and I can't respect that point of view any more.
None of that addresses what I said, so I'll repeat it:

I think Biden will be replaced and not be the candidate.

I don't want this thread to degrade into politics. There is no convincing either side that the other is destroying this nation. All I can tell you is that the division runs deep and I'd vote for anyone other than Biden just as many feel the same about Trump. The issues each side focuses on are real and matter on a personal level. This goes much deeper than just tax rates. One comment I will make is that the majority of Republicans view Biden as just as much a felon as Trump who has been allowed to skate through his corrupt, partisan DOJ. One guy gets a "free pass" on everything illegal or shady while the other is charged with dozens of felonies. We all know the issues and see the facts on record. Even RFK junior would be a far better choice than Biden. Again, there is no point in political posts in this thread as you are free to start another.

You literally started turning this into a political discussion by saying people interested in lower taxes and a secure border should vote R. You're fine if it's a political discussion so long as it's with people who agree with you.

If you think Biden has "skated by" why do you think the Republican controlled House impeachment committee fell flat on it's face?

Too late.

That's idiotic. And one reason why it's so hard to have any respect for the partisan hacks sticking it out and doubling down in the Trump cult. The best they've got is some weak projection of b-b-b-but-Biden.

No, I'm not interested in being polite about it any more.
Just because you are angry doesn't mean you are correct. Biden's open border and easy on Iran policies are worse than Trump's irresponsible tax cuts. Neither will be fiscally responsible. Neither will clamp down on criminals. Both are disgusting corrupt dishonest perverted human beings. No amount of anger promotes the cognitive corpse to being worthy of another 4 years. Unquestionably a worse option.

And adding insult to injury it's over 90% certain President Dementia would turn it over to VP Giggles at some point in the presidency.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
None of that addresses what I said, so I'll repeat it:

I think Biden will be replaced and not be the candidate.
I hope you're right, but I don't really see a plausible path to that happening. Barring injury illness or death before the democratic convention.

No way is Biden being replaced. He is the democratic candidate. I personally will be voting for Trump.

When the presidents policies start nuking my bags I can’t vote for them. Nothing personal, just bidness

No way is Biden being replaced. He is the democratic candidate. I personally will be voting for Trump.

When the presidents policies start nuking my bags I can’t vote for them. Nothing personal, just bidness
What Biden policy nuked your bags again? What did you invest in that has done so poorly since 2020? Do you think the wholesale Trump disregard for rule of law that is going to be the revenge tour 2.0 is going to be good for your bags? If his supporters try to burn down the capitol you going to earn a good profit on that too?

• Dislike
Both are disgusting corrupt dishonest perverted human beings

Any opinion on why the House Impeachment committee failed? They had 3 years of "investigations" and came up with nothing worthy of impeachment.

When you say "corrupt" you're referring to nothing factual that can persuade a Republican House to impeach.

On a medical note, since this is a doctor message board, any speculation what they pump Biden up with that gets him so wired up on occasion? He'll be slow soft mumbling and incoherent most days, and then it's like, God help the next kid that's gets on his lawn!!!! Clearly there's some secret juice added to his corn flakes on those days.

Just because you are angry doesn't mean you are correct. Biden's open border and easy on Iran policies are worse than Trump's irresponsible tax cuts. Neither will be fiscally responsible. Neither will clamp down on criminals. Both are disgusting corrupt dishonest perverted human beings. No amount of anger promotes the cognitive corpse to being worthy of another 4 years. Unquestionably a worse option.

And adding insult to injury it's over 90% certain President Dementia would turn it over to VP Giggles at some point in the presidency.
I'm not worried about Iran.

There would be action on the border and immigration, if not for the GOP (ie Trump) making a strategic decision to do nothing now, so as to preserve the wedge issue for the election year.

Taxes and spending - not much difference between the party.

I want to see more military aid to Ukraine and more dead Russians and more wrecked Russian military hardware in Ukraine. This alone is a reason to hate what the Putin-fellating GOP has become.

The Trump administration had a laughably inept and corrupt executive branch. I prefer a functional government, even if I don't agree with it on all points of policy.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm not worried about Iran.

There would be action on the border and immigration, if not for the GOP (ie Trump) making a strategic decision to do nothing now, so as to preserve the wedge issue for the election year.

Taxes and spending - not much difference between the party.

I want to see more military aid to Ukraine and more dead Russians and more wrecked Russian military hardware in Ukraine. This alone is a reason to hate what the Putin-fellating GOP has become.

The Trump administration had a laughably inept and corrupt executive branch. I prefer a functional government, even if I don't agree with it on all points of policy.
Agree with most of that but blaming the open borders on Republicans is a stretch. Biden got exactly the border he wanted from Day 1. And the country will pay heavily for that for decades if not infinity.

Iran is a problem because within 24 hours of having a nuke that can successfully be detonated in Israel... Bye bye Israel, Hello nuclear war.

On a medical note, since this is a doctor message board, any speculation what they pump Biden up with that gets him so wired up on occasion? He'll be slow soft mumbling and incoherent most days, and then it's like, God help the next kid that's gets on his lawn!!!! Clearly there's some secret juice added to his corn flakes on those days.
Seriously?

He's always been a gaffe-prone goofball when it comes to interacting with people. He's been having Dog Faced Pony Soldier moments for decades.

Seriously?

He's always been a gaffe-prone goofball when it comes to interacting with people. He's been having Dog Faced Pony Soldier moments for decades.

He’s a lifelong stutterer and he’s doing a better job managing it nowadays than he ever has.

Agree with most of that but blaming the open borders on Republicans is a stretch. Biden got exactly the border he wanted from Day 1. And the country will pay heavily for that for decades if not infinity.
Meh

It's a manufactured crisis with easy and obvious solutions

Iran is a problem because within 24 hours of having a nuke that can successfully be detonated in Israel... Bye bye Israel, Hello nuclear war.

I don't see any reason to believe Iran's leaders are irrational. They like being in power and they like being alive.

Deterrence / MAD will work, probably.

We should quit pretending we can prevent them from acquiring a nuear weapon, if they want one.

I'm far more concerned about Pakistan's existing nukes.

Getting back on topic. Where does this lad get advising people to live of 10% of the returns on your investments. H'es advising a a guy with 3m that he can comfortably spend 250-300k/year...

Seems many at this age are getting cognitive issues.

Inflation has been ridiculous the last 3.5 years. Remember when the current administration kept saying that it was going to be transitory? Oh yeah, that was a lie. Just the rate of inflation has slowed.

Bogus asylum seekers inundating the border.
More meth and fentanyl getting pushed through our porous borders which is worsening homelessness which is terrible now.

The current administration shrugging their shoulders saying they can't do anything even though Biden reversed the Trump executive orders. Funny how that works.

My quality of life has worsened these last 3.5 years than they did under Trump.

Trump isn't a saint and is dumb but this is what we're stuck with. I would have been happy with DeSantis.

My quality of life has worsened these last 3.5 years than they did under Trump.

Lol, wut. Bro that is a you problem. Stock market and real wages are around all time highs. Anesthesia market hasn't been this good in over a decade. Millenials are getting their loans forgiven.

I legitimately need examples for how Biden has worsened your quality of life. There is virtually no metric that would show most people are worse today than they were 3.5 years ago when the country was still partially shut down from covid.

Are you personally housing an immigrant family? What possible demographic could you claim to represent that is worse now than 3.5 years ago???

Last edited:
Lol, wut. Bro that is a you problem. Stock market and real wages are around all time highs. Anesthesia market hasn't been this good in over a decade. Millenials are getting their loans forgiven.

I legitimately need examples for how Biden has worsened your quality of life. There is virtually no metric that would show most people are worse today than they were 3.5 years ago when the country was still partially shut down from covid.

Are you personally housing an immigrant family? What possible demographic could you claim to represent that is worse now than 3.5 years ago???

Inflation. How are you not noticing how expensive daily goods are?

Physician salaries may be up but look at housing costs, fuel costs, energy costs.

My bills have all gone up even with a higher income my purchasing power is barely keeping up

A dozen eggs was 0.99 during 2020/2021.

I'm seeing a minimum of $3 and some organic ones charging $9.99.

There are physicians in this very thread who mention insane housing costs. Couple that with 6% mortgage rates which are this high to try to combat inflation and it's not a great situation.

This is just a small example.

I'm not housing immigrants but I am directly caring for them. I work at a FQHC. I have seen a rise in undocumented immigrants obtaining care from countries like El Salvador and Venezuela. I'm seeing this first hand. They often don't speak Spanish or any other dialect we can even get a video interpreter for. Painful to deal with for anything complicated.

Seriously?

Yes, but I'm talking his energy level. The Man typically is half dead and can't muster the strength to mumble louder than a whisper, but then has these occasional manic screaming outbursts on the rare higher energy days.

Physician salaries may be up but look at housing costs, fuel costs, energy costs.

My bills have all gone up even with a higher income my purchasing power is barely keeping up

There are physicians in this very thread who mention insane housing costs. Couple that with 6% mortgage rates which are this high to try to combat inflation and it's not a great situation.

I'm not housing immigrants but I am directly caring for them. I work at a FQHC. I have seen a rise in undocumented immigrants obtaining care from countries like El Salvador and Venezuela. I'm seeing this first hand. They often don't speak Spanish or any other dialect we can even get a video interpreter for. Painful to deal with for anything complicated.

Bro. I don't think we inhabit the same planet. You're over here talkin' bout the price of eggs while I'm seeing $350-400/hr locums jobs talked about on this site.

You're doing something wrong if your quality of life is going down. 100% a you problem.

Real wage growth has outpaced inflation for the vast majority of Americans. I'm not even going to reply to the idea that you seeing a few more immigrants a day impacts your quality of life significantly.

Last edited:
Bro. I don't think we inhabit the same planet. You're over here talkin' bout the price of eggs while I'm seeing $350-400/hr locums jobs talked about on this site.

You're doing something wrong if your quality of life is going down. 100% a you problem.

Real wage growth has outpaced inflation for the vast majority of Americans. I'm not even going to reply to the idea that you seeing a few more immigrants a day impacts your quality of life significantly.

Keep sticking your head in the sand. You can't dispute inflation is significant.

If you want to purposely be difficult that's fine. Grocery costs are inflated. Fuel costs are inflated.

Housing prices are through the roof nearly everywhere. This is even with higher mortgage rates which everyone thought would cool the market. I'm not seeing that. It's still a feeding frenzy. New construction 2300 sq foot housing going for $1.6 million. This type of house was selling for $950k just a few years ago.

You have other physicians in this exact thread having the same concerns about inflation eroding our purchasing power.

I'm not alone in this.

And I didn't hear any mention about the porous border. There is a downstream effect to this.

Keep sticking your head in the sand. You can't dispute inflation is significant.

If you want to purposely be difficult that's fine. Grocery costs are inflated. Fuel costs are inflated.

Housing prices are through the roof nearly everywhere. This is even with higher mortgage rates which everyone thought would cool the market. I'm not seeing that. It's still a feeding frenzy. New construction 2300 sq foot housing going for $1.6 million. This type of house was selling for $950k just a few years ago.

You have other physicians in this exact thread having the same concerns about inflation eroding our purchasing power.

I'm not alone in this.

And I didn't hear any mention about the porous border. There is a downstream effect to this.

Real wage growth has outpaced inflation. My head is well out of the sand.

The average American sees their money going 1.7% further today than in 2019 for a typical basket of goods. See previous post for citations.

I don't care how you're "feeling" about the market or what other people's "concerns" are. Facts don't care about those feelings. Real wage growth has outpaced inflation and Americans are more prosperous today than pre-covid.

People on this site whine about a lot of things. The price of eggs shouldn't be one of them.

I know a lot of people who plan on voting Trump this coming election if the only alternative is the Weekend at Bernies version of Joe Biden.

Trump is not that young either and sounds just as delirious as the 92 year old hip fracture patient I did GA on yesterday. He’s also more likely to die in office because he’s fat. Fat people don’t live long. At least Biden isn’t fat.

• Haha

I'm not alone in this.

Most in this thread already have housing years ago when it was vastly cheaper then on top of that locked in covid rates of sub 3 % 30 year mortgages. Example of an 850k house at current rates would be 6k/mo and your only getting about 600 dollars of that in equity and this is in the midwest. Same house in 2019 was 550k and your sub 3 percent rate would have you paying 3k/mo which includes taxes.

Inflation is a YOU problem. Your portfolio and salary has been inflated as well. Are you seriously feeling that couple hundred dollars extra at the grocery store the past couple years? You are a physician making well over half a million dollars a year. If you are noticing your grocery bill then you need to re-evaluate your financial plan.

My Trump flag flying neighbor hires more illegal immigrants to landscape his yard than I thought was possible. I swear, half of Honduras is at his house on a Saturday morning leaf blowing for hours. You would think a true-Trumper would mow his own lawn.

Real wage growth has outpaced inflation. My head is well out of the sand.

The average American sees their money going 1.7% further today than in 2019 for a typical basket of goods. See previous post for citations.

I don't care how you're "feeling" about the market or what other people's "concerns" are. Facts don't care about those feelings. Real wage growth has outpaced inflation and Americans are more prosperous today than pre-covid.

People on this site whine about a lot of things. The price of eggs shouldn't be one of them.

Yes, the cost of food, housing and fuel is significant.

Housing costs, including rents, are high. It's so high that Biden and his administration are trying to deal with it. If it wasn't a big deal because apparently wages have kept up with why would he address it. Obviously it's a problem.

Net worth September 2021... ~500k

Net Worth April 2024... 1.1+ million

Most people net worth here has almost doubled in the past 3+. I dont think that has anything to do with who is the white house.

Most in this thread already have housing years ago when it was vastly cheaper then on top of that locked in covid rates of sub 3 % 30 year mortgages. Example of an 850k house at current rates would be 6k/mo and your only getting about 600 dollars of that in equity and this is in the midwest. Same house in 2019 was 550k and your sub 3 percent rate would have you paying 3k/mo which includes taxes.

Not everyone is in the market to buy a house, the cost of buying a house has increased.

Not everyone is in the market to buy a TV, the cost of buying a TV has decreased.

This is why we use a typical "basket of goods" to measure inflation. Pointing to the higher cost of a house and saying the sky is falling neglects all of the other small things which have decreased in price.

Regardless, Real wage growth has outpaced inflation.

Most Americans are more prosperous today than in 2019.

Last edited:
Most Americans are more prosperous today than in 2019.
Most physicians. Most people with substantial stock portfolios. My educated non-physician, gainfully employed, adult children, well paid by the standards of 30 somethings would be struggling, but for help from their well heeled parents.

Inflation is a YOU problem. Your portfolio and salary has been inflated as well. Are you seriously feeling that couple hundred dollars extra at the grocery store the past couple years? You are a physician making well over half a million dollars a year. If you are noticing your grocery bill then you need to re-evaluate your financial plan.

My Trump flag flying neighbor hires more illegal immigrants to landscape his yard than I thought was possible. I swear, half of Honduras is at his house on a Saturday morning leaf blowing for hours. You would think a true-Trumper would mow his own lawn.

How is a nearly 20% cumulative inflation rate a me problem?

That instantly devalues every dollar earned and saved.

Yes, the cost of food, housing and fuel is significant.

Housing costs, including rents, are high. It's so high that Biden and his administration are trying to deal with it. If it wasn't a big deal because apparently wages have kept up with why would he address it. Obviously it's a problem.

What do you think this article proves?

I agree housing costs are high, the prices of some other goods are down.

It's fine that Biden wants to address housing costs, doesn't mean people aren't materially better than in 2019 relative to the typical basket of goods we use to measure inflation.

Edit:

It seems like you tie your quality of life only to the things that have gone up in price that you have to pay for and not to the things in life that have gone down in price or your real wage increase.

What has the stock market done in that time again?

And this is a bipartisan problem, Trump oversaw massive expansion of the deficit that is causing this too. Voting to end democracy and install a strongman isn't going to cure inflation or make your groceries more affordable.

I'm not alone in this.

Not everyone lives in LA, NYC, Boston, San Diego, San Francisco.

You can find a decent 2300 sqft home for 700k even in Miami metro, which is considered a HCOL area.

Most physicians. Most people with substantial stock portfolios. My educated non-physician, gainfully employed, adult children, well paid by the standards of 30 somethings would be struggling, but for help from their well heeled parents.

Lmao.

Bro you need to read what you're citing before linking it.

Screenshot_20240417_194312_Chrome.jpg

You want to say people are worse today than in 2019 when 30 and 90 day mortgage deliquencies where markedly higher?

I haven't clicked on your other citations yet but c'mon.

Edit:
I'm pretty sure the credit card debt figure isn't inflation adjusted... can't find an inflation adjusted figure for US credit card debt in 2019 though.

Edit 2:
It does seem like auto loan delinquency rates are up from 2019. Definitely not a massive upswing though as the Fox article suggests if you look at auto loan delinquencies over a decade. I'm optimistic the trend will reverse, but we'll see.

Last edited:

You were talking about the price of eggs. As a physician making half a million dollars a year, you should be able to splurge for the free range, extra special brown eggs and not even flinch. My suspicion is you are spending a lot of time watching a certain channel or getting fed a lot of articles on a feed and are more outraged by the thought of inflation than by actually feeling inflation. If you are truly feeling inflation then you should revisit your spending habits and financial plan because it should not phase you at your income level. If you are looking to buy a house then this is a good time to really think about your “wants and needs” when it comes to a home so that you do not overspend. Not buying the “doctor McMansion” was one of the best decisions I ever made.

As for myself, I am far richer now than I was 3 years ago. My savings rate has hovered around 40% in a HCOL area and I still buy the fancy eggs (though I may get chickens soon).

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
You were talking about the price of eggs. As a physician making half a million dollars a year, you should be able to splurge for the free range, extra special brown eggs and not even flinch. My suspicion is you are spending a lot of time watching a certain channel or getting fed a lot of articles on a feed and are more outraged by the thought of inflation than by actually feeling inflation. If you are truly feeling inflation then you should revisit your spending habits and financial plan because it should not phase you at your income level. If you are looking to buy a house then this is a good time to really think about your “wants and needs” when it comes to a home so that you do not overspend. Not buying the “doctor McMansion” was one of the best decisions I ever made.

As for myself, I am far richer now than I was 3 years ago. My savings rate has hovered around 40% in a HCOL area and I still buy the fancy eggs (though I may get chickens soon).
costco organic eggs 2 dozens for 7.99 hard to beat.

The election of 2020 was stolen.

You cam make that [insert] up.