Middle East FRSD vs FH experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Trying to keep this anonymous as possible, but I’m an army reservist being deployed to either an FRSD or Field Hospital later this fall in the ME. What expectations should I have for the deployment, and any tips you can give from your own experiences? Excited to finally have this opportunity.

Members don't see this ad.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way. . . .

Hey everyone,

Trying to keep this anonymous as possible, but I’m an army reservist being deployed to either an FRSD or Field Hospital later this fall in the ME. What expectations should I have for the deployment, and any tips you can give from your own experiences? Excited to finally have this opportunity.
Kind of depends on your MOS. Given the FRSD option im imagining gen surg, ortho, ER, or CRNA.

Honestly be flexible and prepare to be bored. While globally things look terrible, the OPTEMPO hasnt reached a critical mass yet. Boredom is good, it means someone isnt acutely decompensating out there. If youre a FRSD, be prepared to be frustrated about utilization and capability understanding by superiors. If they can fly you over they will. The purpose, at least a few years back was DCR which doesn't have the best survival rate anyways. Most if not all of my patients i could tell on admission if they were going to survive or not. Do your best for them, but realize most of the time you'll temporarily ameliorate their condition, and sometimes people like to pull out the big sexy last resort procedures cause they enjoy them, not because itd remotely make a clinical difference. Dont be a hero. Keep your head down. Have a deck of cards and some books with you. Work out a lot. Enjoy the time with your coworkers....they'll be what you remember most. Being away from the flagpole is nice. That's enough platitudes from me.

Reactions: 1 users