Overseas experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

histo-95

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone stationed in Yokosuka Japan or Naples, Italy before. Just wondering which area offers the best quality of life? Any pros and cons?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone stationed in Yokosuka Japan or Naples, Italy before. Just wondering which area offers the best quality of life? Any pros and cons?
Never been to either place but everyone I know who's been to those places had great things to say about quality of life. Of course, that was all pre-pandemic. I bet the QOL everywhere overseas has absolutely sucked since, oh, 'round about March 2020.

With rare exceptions the #1, #2, and #3 cons with any overseas duty assignment is poor case load and skill atrophy. Give some thought to that if you're in a specialty or a stage in your career that can take the kind of professional hit that a small, purely AD/dependent patient population will inflict.

Reactions: 1 user
Never been to either place but everyone I know who's been to those places had great things to say about quality of life. Of course, that was all pre-pandemic. I bet the QOL everywhere overseas has absolutely sucked since, oh, 'round about March 2020.

With rare exceptions the #1, #2, and #3 cons with any overseas duty assignment is poor case load and skill atrophy. Give some thought to that if you're in a specialty or a stage in your career that can take the kind of professional hit that a small, purely AD/dependent patient population will inflict.
Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
The main reason I never pursued an overseas assignment is the inability to moonlight and thus losing half my yearly income. Also, as mentioned above, many places have limited case loads so skill atrophy is a real concern. If none of those are an issue for you then consider it a nice paid vacation and an opportunity you probably would never pursue outside the military.

Kind of related: is it particularly difficult to get an assignment in, say, Japan or Italy? One of the main reasons I joined was because I wanted to go overseas, though I've heard varying opinions on how hard/easy it is to get an assignment like that. I guess the answer would be partly service and specialty dependent (I am Navy for reference), but any general info on the topic would be helpful.

Kind of related: is it particularly difficult to get an assignment in, say, Japan or Italy? One of the main reasons I joined was because I wanted to go overseas, though I've heard varying opinions on how hard/easy it is to get an assignment like that. I guess the answer would be partly service and specialty dependent (I am Navy for reference), but any general info on the topic would be helpful.
Generally speaking, it is difficult to get an overseas assignment as a first assignment out of residency, especially if it is a popular site. Also, it would be challenging to coordinate in-processing to the military and an overseas pcs when graduating. I have seen it done though. My recommendation is knock out some time in the US, then pcs overseas if you’re still wanting that experience.

It’s definitely specialty dependent. In Navy pediatrics, for example, almost all residency graduates are expected to go overseas for their first duty station barring any medical-limiting reasons why they couldn’t be overseas. But not Rota, Spain…more like Guam or Okinawa or Guantanamo Bay

It varies by specialty, .

Generally, getting to Japan is not hard, but Italy is. We always send a graduate or two from our program to Japan. Lots and lots of senior people want to do a tour in Europe. Not much work, plenty of travel. Pre-COVID, anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
I loved Okinawa. Would accept orders there anytime. Nice island and easy access to the rest of asia.

[Please read my last paragraph as caveat before reading on]

I can imagine that if you are coming from a civilian residency (like @Volatile seems to have done) then you are probably utilizing first duty station as opportunity to learn about what MilMed will be like. In this instance I would say yes, adding an overseas tour on to that would be tough for those not mentally prepared to do so. BUT, in my opinion graduating, knocking out Board Certification, renting out or selling current house and moving family overseas is very doable and worth it. Make sure you get information from someone who has direct experience and also is someone you can relate with on a personal and professional level.

Generally, overseas assignments are not hard to get slotted in to. Specific location availability may vary, but you will find more competition over CONUS billets due to majority of MilMed physician desire to avoid the stress of overseas move or inability to moonlight, etc. etc. If you let your specialty leader and detailer know early that you want to go overseas you will likely get penciled in right away.

A military physician who cannot moonlight is not losing half of their income. They are receiving their income, OHA plus COLA. Moonlighting is a privilege and should never be expected heading in to a military commitment because you will likely be very disappointed at some point. While on active duty I recommend never living a lifestyle that includes moonlighting income because it can always be taken away...then you're SOL.

To @histo-95 original post, quality of life is usually very good at all locations overseas because of lower volume, smaller commands and travel options (sans COVID). That being said, learning about which spots have the largest number of billets for your specialty really adds to quality of life by decreasing call frequency and increasing ability to collaborate on leadership requirements or tough cases.

Okinawa was incredible. Adds one leg to most big travel adventures because you have to get from Oki to Tokyo but we still managed to hit over 8 different countries while there and had more time with our young kids than we ever could have imagined.

All of that being said I think I agree with @DrMetal for the time being. Until COVID "resolves" and travel returns to normal I would not volunteer for overseas gig. Too much of the benefit of the time there is traveling, experiencing the new culture and getting outside your comfort zone after 30+ years in one country. Hanging out with Americans in base housing for the majority of an overseas tour doesn't check any boxes for me.