Questions on GMOs and Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mike97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a senior year premed, and I’m looking into the HPSP (I’ve met with an Air Force recruiter, but would be open to any branch). I’ve been trying to read up on the forums here, but would like some clarification with things. So, what concerns me with going the military route is a lot of the negative stories I’ve read with people doing GMOs, and overall getting little experience when compared to a civilian route.

1) Correct me if I’m wrong here... is a GMO just something you do if you don’t match in a residency?

2) Once you match in a residency and are in your specialty, are you doing more medicine? Do you find it difficult to get experience? (for reference I would be interested in emergency medicine)

3) I’m currently a firefighter-emt would be interested in pre-hospital-ish type medicine (I realize you wouldn’t be a medic though). Something like the SOST and SORT look really interesting. Is this something you can apply to do or is it more being in the right place at the right time?

Thank you for the help!!

Members don't see this ad.

1) All GMOs have completed at least an internship (1st year of residency). After their first year some choose to be a GMO or flight surgeon, some reapply to residency but don't get selected and are essentially forced into a GMO tour.
2) Don't know what you mean by "doing more medicine"... as compared to what? But military programs do suffer from a lack of certain types of cases, whether that be older people, trauma, little kids, etc., it varies from program to program. To compensate, they send individuals out to civilian programs to train part time.
3) I think each service has their own acute care forward deployed resuscitative pre-hospital stabilization teams. If you have the right skill set, you can work your way towards those billets. I don't know anything about SOST or SORT.

Reactions: 1 user
Not everyone does GMO because they did not match. I did it because I had not decided on a specialty by the time my military match list was due as a MS4. I did a TY and still was unsure around the time of the next match cycle, became a GMO, and a month or two into my GMO time I decided I did not want to stay in the military. I used my GMO time to figure out which specialty to enter while traveling the world on the DoD's dime (two consecutive OCONUS [outside Continental US] assignments) and had an interesting non-combat deployment. During my penultimate year on active duty, I decided on a specialty, did the civilian match, and started residency a month after my active duty service obligation was complete. I completed my military service obligation as a reservist a few months ago and am now officially separated from the military.

If you're like me and need a bit of time to decide on a specialty, then the GMO route is a good option.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a senior year premed, and I’m looking into the HPSP (I’ve met with an Air Force recruiter, but would be open to any branch). I’ve been trying to read up on the forums here, but would like some clarification with things. So, what concerns me with going the military route is a lot of the negative stories I’ve read with people doing GMOs, and overall getting little experience when compared to a civilian route.

1) Correct me if I’m wrong here... is a GMO just something you do if you don’t match in a residency?

2) Once you match in a residency and are in your specialty, are you doing more medicine? Do you find it difficult to get experience? (for reference I would be interested in emergency medicine)

3) I’m currently a firefighter-emt would be interested in pre-hospital-ish type medicine (I realize you wouldn’t be a medic though). Something like the SOST and SORT look really interesting. Is this something you can apply to do or is it more being in the right place at the right time?

Thank you for the help!!
You can apply for SOST towards the end of your residency: https://www.airforcespecialtactics....ao 18 Aug 2020).pdf?ver=2020-08-18-135604-853

Looks like they hold 3 selections a year

Old-timer here (was graduated from USU 1990; was graduated from Wilford Hall anesthesiology [which no longer exists] 1994). I am only chiming in to give a historical perspective; I look forward to hearing from my younger colleagues with more recent experience.

I was the only member of my Air Force anesthesiology residency class who went directly from internship into residency. Part of this was that I was fortunate enough to work for the Consultant for Anesthesiology, both as a medical student and intern at Andrews AFB. He wrote me a glowing recommendation letter that definitely greased the wheels of the system. Part of this was because I saw what the flight surgeons at Pope AFB did 90% of the time while I was doing FP at Ft. Bragg during medical school: arguing with pilots about DNIF for URIs, dealing with the dreaded jock itch, and prescribing IM ceftriaxone for STDs.

It didn't seem as glamorous as the AF recruitment videos make it out to be. Sure, there were a few who stuck around as RAM graduates to fly desks a lot, planes a little, and Retire on Active Duty a lot. Pilots are among the healthiest humans on earth...maybe even healthier than Olympic athletes, many of whom (interestingly enough) have asthma. Spending three years dealing with paperwork, politics, and testosterone-fueled arguments about flying status didn't appeal to me.

Moreover, as with many things in military medicine, changes can happen overnight without warning, based on what the voices in Pentagon functionaries' heads tell them. Example: the AF Surgeon General in 1997 thought incorrectly that there were too many anesthesiologists in the service. Accordingly, he slashed Air Force residency slots from 10/year to 4/year to zero. At the same time, he forced an entire crop of newly graduating interns who wanted to go into anesthesiology to do GMO/FS stints instead. Many of the HPSP folks just did their four years and punched out, rather than deal with a system that didn't want them. Shockingly, 4 years later, when 9/11 hit, we had gone from 10 anesthesiologists at Andrews AFB to 3, only two of whom actually did any meaningful work vs. staying home for 200 days/year to watch Barney with her twins. And yet the AF expected us to continue the same ops tempo with 2 anesthesiologists taking every other night call (the boss refused, as she hadn't managed an anesthetic in the OR for ten years, and didn't know how to use medications that had been around for that decade) as we had with 10 anesthesiologists (OK, 9, not including her).

Note that the cushy ACGME rules for resident work hours don't apply to you as an attending. We got tired of all the interns going "peace out, my shift is done" at 1900, while the untrained FP physician ordered to act as if she were an intensivist for intubated, severely wounded people continued her 24-36 hour shift, while calling us every hour on the hour to ask questions a trained intensivist would know the answers to (IF patient bucking on tube THEN turn up sedation END).

Bottom line: don't count on being able to do any residency directly out of internship in the Air Force. I will defer to my Army and Navy colleagues to comment about the current state of their branches.

One of the general surgeons I worked with at Travis referred to the entire military residency system as undergoing "apoptosis". When the Air Force started shunting every retiree over age 65 into Medicare and cutting back on all services at MTFs in favor of punting active duty and retirees to TRICARE, he complained that his residents were unable to get enough experience to be proficient surgeons on graduation vs. their civilian peers.

Since then, many military residencies have, as others pointed out, worked out MOUs with civilian trauma centers, etc., to improve the case mix that their residents see. I personally did the required rotation at UT Galveston for comp-OB (which almost doesn't exist in the military, since most active duty and dependents know they are pregnant, for example, before term), as well as a extra experience at UT San Antonio.

Remind me to tell you my anecdote about "bald shrimp" at 0300 in the OR at Galveston...

Again, my remembrances are from 15 years ago, but it seems as though the military is determined to cut out the number of dependents and retirees you see going forward at MTFs during and after training (thus reducing your experience to the healthy, young, motivated cohort of active duty troops, which will not prepare you for civilian practice in any specialty when you bail out as a junior O-4 after being micromanaged by a CCRN* one last time).

*Clipboard-carrying Registered Nurse

Don't know about SOST or SORT. If you want to fill that role in the USAF, CCATT Air Evac physician may be the way to go. Of course, you will spend 80% of your time sitting around inventorying band-aids in the hangar, deconning your SMEED, or mopping the AEOT while your clinical skills rust like grandpa's rake left out in the rain, if the experience of my friend currently deployed with an AE team overseas holds true. While on Bravo call for up to seven days per week, you won't be able to drink alcohol, no matter how excellent the local libations may be. Of course, 20% of the time you may or may not be dealing with life-threatening illnesses and injuries at 30,000 feet with zero physician backup, green techs, nurses that outrank you, and antiquated equipment, so that may appeal to you.

May I point out that there is a thread here on SDN by people with more GMO/FS experience than myself that may be of interest to you.

Hope the above helps.

Last edited:
I never understood why San Antonio had BAMC and Wilford Hall.

I never understood why San Antonio had BAMC and Wilford Hall.
I am guessing that, back in the 1950s, the US wanted enough beds for our WWIII casualties.

Wilford Hall was the flagship of Air Force medicine, as well as being the tri-service center for liver transplants, etc.

BAMC was never the flagship of Army medicine. It does have the very important burn unit, however.

Now Wilford Hall is an ambulatory surgery center.

I can only guess Army vs. Air Force politics were involved in the decision to close WHMC instead of BAMC.

Maybe someone higher in the food chain could answer this question...

Addendum: here's kind of a bittersweet story about the demolition of Big Willie:
At 'Big Willie,' all that's left are the ghosts

The article quotes the commander of Wilford Hall, Major General Iddins:

“If you increase quality, you can make the system more efficient because you are making fewer mistakes,” said Iddins, who noted that Pentagon health care costs top $50 billion a year, a figure he called unsustainable. “We are also becoming more efficient by teaching people how to solve their problems, how to improve their processes in a methodical, organized way.

“And by understanding where all of our costs are, we can decrease the amount we’re having to spend.”

Ah, the old making humans more efficient by using civilian style processes involving downsizing,
rightsizing, brightsizing (from Dilbert: fire all the smart people who object to the dumb buzzwords)
...that will definitely work. At least until the robots take over for real.

Sigh. We have enough money to pay military contractors $383,750,000,000 according to Federal News Network ("Improper payment rate of 0.08%, or $307 million"), lose billions of dollars of improper payments in the Pentagon seat cushions, without knowing if it was under- or over-payment, and yet the military scrapes around for pennies downsizing medical care for dependents and retirees and closing Wilford Hall, the real Walter Reed, and so many other MTFs.

From the web site referenced above:
"While officials said military readiness, not cost savings, is the primary driver for the changes, pushing retirees and active-duty families into the community for care should save the system money.

For 2021, that savings is expected to reach about $36 million, officials said." 36 freaking million dollars out of 383.75 billion paid to contractors alone...

This whole "snoutsourcing" of military "health care" to the civilian contractors who make billions off of us taxpayers still blows my mind, 25 years after it started in earnest...I guess it only makes sense if you are a Flag Rank officer who has lined up a cushy job post-retirement as a board member of the very corporations responsible for this travesty.

This is why the subtitle of my (still in progress book) is "The Pre-Meditated Murder of U.S. Military Medicine"

Last edited:
Bottom line: don't count on being able to do any residency directly out of internship in the Air Force. I will defer to my Army and Navy colleagues to comment about the current state of their branches.

Just had a few calls with PDs in a few specialties. For Navy it depends on the specialty. In psych, all interns are going straight through and many are getting guaranteed pgy-2 contracts when they match to intern year. Neurosurg is the same way. In contrast, in FM about 50% of interns are going to GMO land. ENT is also sending some people through, as they have 2 intern spots but 3-4 pgy-2 spots, but it will depend on the year whether those interns get to go straight through or not—it’s not guaranteed.

The gist I got was that primary care is about 50% GMO, surgical specialties vary.

If you have to be a GMO, you should know how to do the job after being a 25.

Navy is more than 50% for most specialties, at least it was my intern year 2 years ago. I came from pediatrics where nobody went straight through my year, every single second year spot was filled with a returning gmo (and was the same the following year). Not sure what this years results will show but I expect something similar. The old “maybe 50% in some specialties” is outdated, most Navy interns are being sent out to the fleet right now. It should be the expectation of every Navy intern that you will be required to be a GMO prior to finishing residency.

Which goes to show that becoming a GMO isn’t a sign of failure at all, it’s just being part of the system (at least in the Navy). I maxed out my points as an intern applying to be a 2nd year: max research points, top board scores, glowing letters/Evals, pediatric intern of the year...still wasn’t enough. About 5-7 years ago the word on the street was that GMO tours were going to go away...the pendulum swung back in the completely opposite direction. The goal right now is to get military doctors out of the big MTF’s and out to ships/squadrons. Our GME director was even debating going to flight school to get more operational experience as promotion boards are looking at that stuff more heavily nowadays.

And I’m not even sure this is a bad thing to be honest. There was definitely a huge difference between my intern class, straight outta med school, and all the second/third year residents who had not only completed an intern year but had the experience of 2-3 years of being a self-practicing physician.

Last edited:
The old “maybe 50% in some specialties” is outdated, most Navy interns are being sent out to the fleet right now.

I won’t be an intern for a couple more years and I don’t mind doing a GMO. But just to clarify, are you saying all the FM PDs are either lying or just don’t know their own programs?

I won’t be an intern for a couple more years and I don’t mind doing a GMO. But just to clarify, are you saying all the FM PDs are either lying or just don’t know their own programs?
Yeah I’m not sure why they are telling you that. Maybe they mean 50% go through their program at some point, which is on par with the amount of people who start internship and come back to finish residency. But For example, all of the surgery interns, all the psych interns, and almost the whole IM intern program from portsmouth were sent out my year as well as last year. The Navy is increasing the fleet size as well so there’s a huge gap in billets that’s need to be filled, so if anything there will be less straight through spots over the next several years while they try to fill all the billets.

The stuff for family might be right though, since they are at their own hospitals people that aren't in family get less exposure to their training pipeline. You just can't extrapolate that to all primary care. Like pawprint said all the peds interns have been doing GMO tours lately. I think the numbers for internal medicine vary from year to year but I think its usually less than half of them going straight through. (I'd defer to someone with personal experience with internal medicine for that) There are other specialties where 100% of people have to do a GMO tour. For example we haven't had anyone in radiology straight out of intern year in four years I think and even before that it was rare. I think some other specialties have had some pressure to from their respective colleges to take people straight through (like ER) but even those typically aren't 100%.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I’m not sure why they are telling you that. Maybe they mean 50% go through their program at some point, which is on par with the amount of people who start internship and come back to finish residency. But For example, all of the surgery interns, all the psych interns, and almost the whole IM intern program from portsmouth were sent out my year as well as last year. The Navy is increasing the fleet size as well so there’s a huge gap in billets that’s need to be filled, so if anything there will be less straight through spots over the next several years while they try to fill all the billets.

No, the were answering a specific question about going straight through, and all of them said about 50% of interns go straight through. *shrug*

I believe the surgery and IM programs. But literally every psych PD and PC that I’ve talked to and several interns and residents have recently told me they are all going straight through, so either Portsmouth is the one exception or you’re mistaken about that. Now, coincidentally I’ve only talked to people from SD and WR, but it was explicitly said it’s all 3. Not sure why they would all be lying about that.

It won’t bother me too much if I have to do a GMO though so I’m not super concerned.

No, the were answering a specific question about going straight through, and all of them said about 50% of interns go straight through. *shrug*

I believe the surgery and IM programs. But literally every psych PD and PC that I’ve talked to and several interns and residents have recently told me they are all going straight through, so either Portsmouth is the one exception or you’re mistaken about that. Now, coincidentally I’ve only talked to people from SD and WR, but it was explicitly said it’s all 3. Not sure why they would all be lying about that.

It won’t bother me too much if I have to do a GMO though so I’m not super concerned.
I think you keep saying primary care to mean family med when you really mean family med. Primary care is a more inclusive term than just family medicine.

I think you keep saying primary care to mean family med when you really mean family med. Primary care is a more inclusive term than just family medicine.

I don’t think you meant to quote me, because I said primary care once, and I meant FM, IM, and peds. But I specifically said they were FM PDs.

I don’t think you meant to quote me, because I said primary care once, and I meant FM, IM, and peds. But I specifically said they were FM PDs.
You also did it in your original post about talking to family medicine. "The gist I got was that primary care is about 50% GMO, surgical specialties vary". I think through the context of the post you were trying to say that was what the family medicine residencies told you right? (or did you mean to say you actually talked to other primary care specialty program directors as well?)

Edit: Oh I think the second post I misread PC to mean primary care when you meant program coordinator. This is why acronyms are dumb. Regardless I think you guys are just driving home the point that it varies depending on the specialty. I have heard psych is more likely to go straight through but have no personal experience with it.

You also did it in your original post about talking to family medicine. "The gist I got was that primary care is about 50% GMO, surgical specialties vary". I think through the context of the post you were trying to say that was what the family medicine residencies told you right? (or did you mean to say you actually talked to other primary care specialty program directors as well?)

Edit: Oh I think the second post I misread PC to mean primary care when you meant program coordinator. This is why acronyms are dumb. Regardless I think you guys are just driving home the point that it varies depending on the specialty. I have heard psych is more likely to go straight through but have no personal experience with it.

Ha yes. I meant PC as in program coordinator. My bad. But yeah, I meant that I talked to FM PDs and they said that primary care (IM/peds/FM) was about 50%. So they might be wrong about IM and peds, but I figure they at least know their own specialty.

As for psych, I don’t have personal experience obviously. But one of my mentors is a psych resident, and I just talked to the WR and balboa PDs who said basically everyone who wants to go straight through is.

Navy pediatrics is a frequent outlier compared to other primary care specialties in the fact that very few Navy Peds interns go straight through, historically. Many FP go straight through and usually 50% or so of IM go straight through. Psych also usually goes straight through at a higher rate.

ENT goes straight through all the time now for those who do the ENT internship. They actually turned their internship “off” for a couple years to make the transition. Other surgery specialties (except neurosurgery) are variable, but usually at least a couple will go straight through.

Now, that is all historical...and there is now absolutely a push to get the majority of interns in at least those with categorical internships going straight through. I’m not sure we will see it in this years’ selections, but I would bet we see them next year as a beginning push.

I don’t know, I disagree with the direction this is heading. Navy GME wants to keep residents straight through from internship to end of residency, however, the state of Navy medical billets begs to differ.

The number of operational ship/squadron billets continues to increase and the number of navy docs filling them continues to decrease. At the end of the day, the navy doesn’t need that many board certified physicians. In order to fill GMO/flight surgery/dive medicine billets, all the navy needs is people who have graduated med school, completed an intern year, and passed their USMLE. The navy has less and less need to train board certified physicians, those can easily be recruited on a few year loan repayment program.

The number of operational ship/squadron billets continues to increase and the number of navy docs filling them continues to decrease. At the end of the day, the navy doesn’t need that many board certified physicians. In order to fill GMO/flight surgery/dive medicine billets, all the navy needs is people who have graduated med school, completed an intern year, and passed their USMLE. The navy has less and less need to train board certified physicians, those can easily be recruited on a few year loan repayment program.

The majority of Navy ships do not have physicians on them. (Subs, destroyers, frigates, etc).

While there will always be some GMO’s I think you will see an increased shift away. There actually already has been a pretty significant downtrend over the last 10 years or so when you compare the number of GMO billets 10yrs ago to today.

The shift has already been briefed to the SG.

2) Most ER docs I know can moonlight a fair amount to keep skills up.

3) To get almost any cool guy job in the Army requires residency completion.

I’m telling you as someone out in operational medicine now who gets the detailers billet list, there are an increasing amount of gapped GMO billets and an increasing amount of board certified docs getting pulled into them since there aren’t enough interns being shipped out. The solution to this will either be to take more board certified docs away from their specialties to do GMO medicine or will be continuing to increase the amount of interns going out to the fleet (right now both are happening). It’s cheaper to send the interns out, and we are training less docs to full board certification so I imagine the shift will continue to be increasing sending the interns out.

While most ships don’t have a physician on them when they deploy, they still have a GMO physician assigned to take care of them as their PCM. Same thing with flight surgery billets and the sub community. All active duty members assigned to deployable units have some sort of GMO assigned to them to be the PCM of everyone in that unit. This is because there are a lot of medical admin things that need to be done for deploying units, just assigning them a family medicine doc in a shore side clinic isn’t enough to get all the work done that needs to be done in a unit that’s deploying.

Used to be that the squadron had a GMO on one of the ships, usually with the Commodore. You could send him messages or call him if you had problems. All the ships had a wartime billet for a medical officer. I had lots of surgical instruments but no anesthesia meds. I did have enough morphine for mass causalities.

In order to fill GMO/flight surgery/dive medicine billets, all the navy needs is people who have graduated med school, completed an intern year, and passed their USMLE. The navy has less and less need to train board certified physicians, those can easily be recruited on a few year loan repayment program.
Question: will the interns who fill GMO/FS/dive medicine billets be able to function as trauma surgeons or anesthesiologists if the balloon goes up for real? What is this term I remember from my time in the military: "wartime critical specialties"?

Military Personnel: Additional Actions Needed to Address Gaps in Military Physician Specialties

"All of the components experienced gaps in a number of specialties; several of these were below 80 percent of authorized levels (see figure) and are in what are considered critically short wartime specialties. Until the services develop and implement strategies to alleviate these gaps, they could be at risk of not being able to provide medical care to servicemembers during wartime."

Although it was a long time ago, I remember distinctly how I felt as an intern when all of the casualties from Operation Desert Storm started flowing into Andrews and had to RON in our ICU or ASF. I was extremely glad we had such excellent ICU specialist physicians, cardiologists (to deal with the MIs we had to deal with in troops in their 20s and 30s who were not used to bagging sand in 110 degree heat while smoking 3 packs/day), surgeons, anesthesiologists, radiologists, and other board-certified physicians who had been trained to a much higher level than me to save these troops' lives.

Moreover, as I experienced after 9/11, the Air Force desperately tried to make up for the Sheer Poor Planning of prior AF Surgeons General, who had gutted anesthesiology training, recruitment, and retention in the late 1990s by hiring civilian anesthesiologists out of private practice. Separate from the problems of giving LtCol oak leaves to a dude who didn't know which way the hat was supposed to be worn, or when, we experienced severe problems with 100% of these docs who had agreed to leave private practice for 1/2 the pay and 1/100th the respect, autonomy, ancillary support ("no anesthesia techs, sorry, you have to turn over your own room this week!"), and computer support they had experienced in the civilian world.

Bottom line: of course they were the bottom of the barrel to agree to join the military from private practice after age 45.
Between sheer incompetence of FMGs, language barriers, and substance abuse issues, not one of them worked out long term. And don't get me started about my story on the day of 9/11 when we attempted a mandatory recall of all the docs...later, at the article 32 hearing...

In conclusion, although all services certainly need some GMO/FS/dive medicine docs, not one of them will be able save your seaman hemorrhaging to death from a cruise missile blast during WWIII or a marine's RPG/IED/AK injury in the sand. They are simply not trained enough to fill that role. So, which is more important to the safety of our active duty and RC troops in the big picture: treating sniffles and signing DNIF papers, or dealing with mass casualty situations in wartime? Fantasizing that the services can recruit enough competent specialists out of private practice is just that: fantasy.

U.S. Army Recruiting of Physicians, 1989–2018, Targets and Achievements

Last edited:
I’m telling you as someone out in operational medicine now who gets the detailers billet list, there are an increasing amount of gapped GMO billets and an increasing amount of board certified docs getting pulled into them since there aren’t enough interns being shipped out. The solution to this will either be to take more board certified docs away from their specialties to do GMO medicine or will be continuing to increase the amount of interns going out to the fleet (right now both are happening).
I have a hard time imagining a more demoralizing situation than being ordered as a specialist physician to fill a GMO/FS slot after completing years of post-graduate medical training. This is even worse than our pulmonary/CC colleague here on SDN who was ordered to do PAP smears while deployed...at least that was temporary, not a years-long assignment. What caliber of orthopedist or otorhinolaryngologist will emerge after three years of being unable to operate? The entire idea blows my mind.

The number one complaint of AD military surgeons is the erosion of their skills by being unable to practice in their specialties, operate while deployed, or both: https://www.usnews.com/news/nationa...ing-assessments-of-the-military-health-system

The number one complaint of AD anesthesiologists from 1998 onward was that, due to a 0% retention rate of competent (non-desk-flying) anesthesiologists after 9/11, especially with the Iraq war deployment ops tempo, and the intentional replacement of MDs with CRNAs, we just did not have enough humans to do the mission expected of us. We were being ordered to do the job of 10 anesthesiologists in 1999 with 2 actual worker bees in 2001, due to severe attrition and Sheer Poor Planning in shutting down the accession/training pipeline by short-sighted Surgeons General. This resulted in, for example, forcing anesthesiologists to hold the OB emergency pager and personally perform stat C-section anesthesia while simultaneously being signed into up to four OR rooms on the other side of the hospital, not to mention covering the PACU, ICU, and dozens of IV start requests per day, in complete violation of ASA standards of ethical care. Doing more with less until you do everything with nothing seems very manly, but it gets people killed on the battlefield as well as in the operating room when taken to extremis.

In that context of continual and increasing shortages of specialists in the military (both AD and RC), pulling board-certified physicians out of their billets and into the GMO world of STDs, pelvic pain, and URIs would constitute a devastatingly short-sighted move by the Pentagon/DHA/whoever is in charge today. This would clearly result in 100% lack of retention of specialist surgeons, orthopedists, intensivists, radiologists, and other physicians critical to caring for troops in actual wartime, rather than in garrison.

About 5-7 years ago the word on the street was that GMO tours were going to go away...
Heh, they said the same thing when I interviewed at USUHS, in the '90s ... :)

There's been progress in that direction but GMOs won't go away unless and until all 50 state medical boards decide that 2+ years of GME are required for an unrestricted license.

I have a hard time imagining a more demoralizing situation than being ordered as a specialist physician to fill a GMO/FS slot after completing years of post-graduate medical training.
This is what the Army has done on a fairly large scale - they managed to get rid of GMOs, sort of, and have interns mostly go straight through to residency. The price they paid for that was sending board certified physicians out to do GMO-type duty. Of course, they don't call them GMOs. They're "brigade surgeons".

I'll be honest, if I was given orders to a GMO / "brigade surgeon" type position at this point, I don't think I'd be competent at it. I haven't examined a knee or done a pelvic exam or treated a cluster B personality disorder with something besides an induction dose of propofol in almost 20 years. I might be the least popular GMO ever, because I'd refer every sick call visit to ortho[1], GYN, psych[2], etc. Unless someone came in to sick call needing therapeutic anesthesia or a TEE I don't think I'd do anything. It's a combination of lost skills and knowledge AND recognition that much of what I did as a GMO was an unreasonable ask of me as a glorified intern.

[1] As an aside, when I actually WAS a GMO, I was chastised on more than one occasion for "dumping" my musculoskeletal sick call on the Lejeune sports medicine clinic because I had a low threshold for sending them patients.. (Sorry not sorry.)

[2] To their credit, division psych at Lejeune never once gave me a ration of **** for doing the same.

^True, the services can be counted on to take the path of the least resistance. Sacrificing the mid and long-term for the near-term is the inevitable consequence of an organization that operates on time scales set by annual budgets and bi-annual orders.

^^The default will be a draft of the necessary professional manpower whenever the op-tempo requires it. As is, there wouldn't be any other short-term alternative. The timelines of residency training and the slow pace of selection boards for training candidates and the understandable unwillingness of many interested and qualified candidates for needed wartime specialty training to wait for opportunities from a system that provides less and less in the way of training opportunities is going to mean the services will have to draw from the civilian sector, especially if a crisis presents. It would make much more sense to make HPSP primarily an active reserve pipeline with very few going to full-time active duty and most remaining in a reserve status while training as civilian residents and remaining in reserve status for the repayment term. In fact, that would be a much more practical way to address the need for a corps of well-trained wartime-necessary specialists without having the problem of skill atrophy in the active-duty hospital system. Either that, or close HPSP altogether and supercharge the residency recruitment schemes with a much more attractive loan repayment and payoff alternative and hope you get the numbers you need.

I'll be honest, if I was given orders to a GMO / "brigade surgeon" type position at this point, I don't think I'd be competent at it. I haven't examined a knee or done a pelvic exam or treated a cluster B personality disorder with something besides an induction dose of propofol in almost 20 years. I might be the least popular GMO ever, because I'd refer every sick call visit to ortho[1], GYN, psych[2], etc. Unless someone came in to sick call needing therapeutic anesthesia or a TEE I don't think I'd do anything. It's a combination of lost skills and knowledge AND recognition that much of what I did as a GMO was an unreasonable ask of me as a glorified intern.

Brother, this is the difference between intelligent and competent humans and the rest: smart people know when they are not competent to do a task they are being ordered to do simply because the military (or other command structure) needs a warm body to fill a slot.

I gave the example earlier: anesthesiologists at Andrews circa 2001 were ordered to start placing PICC lines with zero training, nursing or radiology support, because the military could not hire, retain, or refrain from deploying interventional radiologists. I told my Flight Commander and Surgeon General Consultant that it considered it an illegal order until and unless I was trained to a competent level. To my surprise, she shrugged and moved on after I pointed out the wording on the PICC line box: "Must be placed by a physician trained in radiologic guidance of catheter insertion", which ruled out all of us.

That didn't stop the orders of idiots from being followed, however. Many patients almost died because my other two colleagues saluted, said, "Sir, yes sir!", flailed about and put PICC lines deep either into the RV or sub-Q, resulting in the near deaths of several poor patients who deserved better from the military system.

I'm just glad I resigned my commission 15 years ago...if I had stayed in the reserves, I'd have a stack of LORs to add to my current trifecta for speaking out against pencil-pushing losers who insist that you do what they say instead of what is correct for patient care.

Last edited:
^True, the services can be counted on to take the path of the least resistance. Sacrificing the mid and long-term for the near-term is the inevitable consequence of an organization that operates on time scales set by annual budgets and bi-annual orders.

This is what I refer to as SPP(R)(TM): "Sheer Poor Planning". You have these Generals and Admirals in the Pentagon who have titles like "Director of Planning", but it simply isn't done, vs. tacking according to the shifting political winds exiting the lower regions of Commanders in Chief via Twitter. And yet everyone is military medicine is shocked, shocked I say when the stupid decisions of Generals four years earlier come home to roost ("Let's slash GME opportunities and force more GMOs"...Four years later, when troops are bleeding to death in the desert: "Oops! Where are all of our specialists? D'oh!"). The key problem is that, as one of the Pentagon civilian patients I talked to at Andrews told me, "They all have tin ears" in the Pentagon. Nobody wants to listen to the excellent ideas of smart O-4s and O-5s in the trenches vs. the incompetent and uncaring O-7s they golf with.

And so we face a coming war with at least three global adversaries being forced to consider the horrible option of...

^^The default will be a draft of the necessary professional manpower whenever the op-tempo requires it. As is, there wouldn't be any other short-term alternative.

I suppose you are referring to the so-called "Doctor Draft" statute:

Act Sept. 9, 1950, ch. 939, 64 Stat. 826

Luckily, it only affects physicians less than 51 years old, so I'm safe. The problem is that even Hawkeye and Hunnicutt in "M*A*S*H" had Col. Potter as a senior surgeon to command them and help them out with military customs, courtesies, terminology, traditions, red tape, etc. To quote my most excellent anesthesiologist colleague at both Travis and Andrews, the military no longer has the blind leading the blind. "It's the blind leading the bleeping deaf, dumb and blind, Rob!". So true.

Imagine the scenario: all of these draftee civilian physicians will arrive on station on day one of WWIII to find themselves being commanded by RNs, CRNAs, MSCs, pharmacists, and janitors with zero military medical physician training vs. "Army training, Sir!" e-mail, clipboard, and reprimand skills. What could possibly go wrong? I mean, the military acronyms alone will cause shell-shock for the first several months...

It would make much more sense to make HPSP primarily an active reserve pipeline with very few going to full-time active duty and most remaining in a reserve status while training as civilian residents and remaining in reserve status for the repayment term. In fact, that would be a much more practical way to address the need for a corps of well-trained wartime-necessary specialists without having the problem of skill atrophy in the active-duty hospital system. Either that, or close HPSP altogether and supercharge the residency recruitment schemes with a much more attractive loan repayment and payoff alternative and hope you get the numbers you need.

This would work as long as the reserve status involved adequate real-world exercises at least once per year a la CMRT to maintain battlefield medical skills, tent-putting-up 101, and how to secure litter patients with SMEEDs on AMBUSes safely without dumping them on the floor and expecting your CCATT techs to catch the SMEED/patient/litter combo in case of MVA, for example.

My ideal solution would be to amp up military GME and boost USU to 1980s levels to ensure an adequate number of highly-trained military physicians are always in the pipeline vs. scrounging around for 45 year olds with zero military training to hire or draft...but that goes against the U.S. military's clear mandate to destroy military medicine in favor of "military health care provided by people with much less experience and knowledge than physicians and who are cheaper so we can buy more shiny toys that fly, shoot, or float."

Last edited:
I’m telling you as someone out in operational medicine now who gets the detailers billet list, there are an increasing amount of gapped GMO billets and an increasing amount of board certified docs getting pulled into them since there aren’t enough interns being shipped out. The solution to this will either be to take more board certified docs away from their specialties to do GMO medicine or will be continuing to increase the amount of interns going out to the fleet (right now both are happening). It’s cheaper to send the interns out, and we are training less docs to full board certification so I imagine the shift will continue to be increasing sending the interns out.

While most ships don’t have a physician on them when they deploy, they still have a GMO physician assigned to take care of them as their PCM. Same thing with flight surgery billets and the sub community. All active duty members assigned to deployable units have some sort of GMO assigned to them to be the PCM of everyone in that unit. This is because there are a lot of medical admin things that need to be done for deploying units, just assigning them a family medicine doc in a shore side clinic isn’t enough to get all the work done that needs to be done in a unit that’s deploying.

You can imagine lots of scenarios, and even a year ago I would have agreed with you; however, in discussions with specialty leaders, corps chief office, and others there is movement afoot. If you’d like more information reach out to any current intern who sat through the BUMED Operational Medicine briefs this Fall.

Yes, all ships have a doc “assigned” to cover it in theory, but they reside at MRD where there are a handful of GMOs who cover many ships, it is not a 1-1 ratio (as you know, but others reading this may not).

[1] As an aside, when I actually WAS a GMO, I was chastised on more than one occasion for "dumping" my musculoskeletal sick call on the Lejeune sports medicine clinic because I had a low threshold for sending them patients.. (Sorry not sorry.)

[2] To their credit, division psych at Lejeune never once gave me a ration of **** for doing the same.
What really gets me is the specialists that were never GMOs that don't recognize this. I'm pretty good at my job, and spend a lot of time learning how to be a better GMO/generalist rather than reviewing knowledge I'm forgetting for when I get back to GME. I try my best to not "bother" the specialists. But when I do, it's because I actually need help, and not because I just don't feel like treating them. And then they start giving push back about how I should've done X/Y/Z ground work before sending them. there have been times when I've done all the ground work, ruled out everything that I can think of, and then just don't know what to do, and sent patients to internal medicine, only to get an email saying I can give them a call if I have questions but otherwise they suggest submitting a consult via HELP/PATH (the remote consult service for the military).

The worst offenders, at least as of late, have been then civilians that were never military. The specialists that did FTOS/NADDS, are the second worst.

Of course, there are the GMOs that have no intention of being doctors and just refer everything out without doing the ground work. "Oh, you've got back pain, here's a referral to sports medicine, physical therapy, and ortho." "First time seeking treatment for acne, I won't try first line therapy, I'll just send you to derm directly." "Back pain for 2 weeks and you want an MRI? No problem." That's another thing. I rarely order MRIs, and when I do it's because I think the patient really needs it. I've gotten passive aggressive emails from radiology about my once in 6 months MRI, whereas the GMO that dramatizes and exaggerates minimal symptoms in his MRI referrals but orders 4/5 a month never gets push back.

Psych has been pretty good for us as well. Although they are definitely very overworked and will sometimes redirect referrals to community resources/chaplains instead of seeing our referrals. Half the time it doesn't matter, but sometimes I really need them seen by someone in the the military health system.