Match day stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
KSUCPM was able to match students into some wonderful programs.... but unfortunately there are a TON of people from KSU that did not match. Shame.

Yeah it is a shame. Unfortunately, even with a class size of 79 with 76 seeking a residency (extremely low numbers for Kent), there are still a few that have just barely squeaked by and would not appear enticing in the scramble or MPII or whatever. On top of that, competent students sometimes get pushed aside by the people who were accepted essentially to pay to keep the lights on. I don't want to launch a rant but this is a HUGE problem at Kent and it's only going to get worse with the way the university (the people above the CPM admins) keep demanding high enrollment. Great for those schools that made it to 100%!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Barry had 4 unmatched before MII. They now have a 100% match rate.

Reactions: 1 user
Barry had 4 unmatched before MII. They now have a 100% match rate.

Yikes! With several of the schools already checking in at 100% placement rate, it looks like the shortage of 51 is going to be shouldered entirely by half (or less?) of the schools.......

Those are some large chunks of classes that are going to go unmatched. Best wishes to all still looking for a program on the last day of MP II today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it is a shame. Unfortunately, even with a class size of 79 with 76 seeking a residency (extremely low numbers for Kent), there are still a few that have just barely squeaked by and would not appear enticing in the scramble or MPII or whatever. On top of that, competent students sometimes get pushed aside by the people who were accepted essentially to pay to keep the lights on. I don't want to launch a rant but this is a HUGE problem at Kent and it's only going to get worse with the way the university (the people above the CPM admins) keep demanding high enrollment. Great for those schools that made it to 100%!

As someone who is about to start at Kent this fall, how concerned should I be?

As someone who is about to start at Kent this fall, how concerned should I be?

You should do as well as you can and focus on learning, getting good grades and passing boards. There will be plenty of stress without worrying about residencies. All the names that I have heard who didn't match were identifiably behind the rest of the class as early as first year in some cases. Of course these are all good people and it's a shame to have come this far and then lost it all, but like myself and others have alluded to on this thread, the educational system should not be taking/keeping people who just objectively do not measure up clinically and/or academically. I'm not saying that there are no good students who ever slip thru the cracks, but they are the exception.

Not official, but from what I can tell Kent is going to come in at 70/79 for c/o 2015 with 3 being ineligible for match/not seeking a residency. I guess that would come out to 70/76= ~92%

Do we know if there are any open spots even left?

You should do as well as you can and focus on learning, getting good grades and passing boards. There will be plenty of stress without worrying about residencies. All the names that I have heard who didn't match were identifiably behind the rest of the class as early as first year in some cases. Of course these are all good people and it's a shame to have come this far and then lost it all, but like myself and others have alluded to on this thread, the educational system should not be taking/keeping people who just objectively do not measure up clinically and/or academically. I'm not saying that there are no good students who ever slip thru the cracks, but they are the exception.

I understand what you mean. Thanks for your thoughts!

Azpod placement.

Chino Valley Medical Center
DVA New Mexico Healthcare System
DVA Philadelphia
DVA Phoenix (Carl T. Hayden)
Franciscan Alliance St. Margaret Mercy/MWU
Heritage Valley Beaver
Inova Fairfax Medical Center
Intermountain Medical Center
Jewish Hospital, Kentucky One Health
Kaiser Permanente Santa Clara
Kaiser SF Bay Area Foot & Ankle
Madigan Army Medical Center
Maricopa Medical Center
Mount Auburn Hospital
Norton Audubon Hospital
Norwegian American Hospital
NY Methodist Hospital
Phoenixville Hospital
Scott & White Memorial Hospital
Silver Lake Medical Center
Tuba City Regional Healthcare /MWU
Tucson Medical Center/MWU
United Health Services Hospitals
West Houston Medical Center
Wheaton Franciscan - Saint Joseph
Winthrop University Hospital

What might actually end up happening is many of the students from last year's pool may end up without spots again this year. So far it seems like most of the schools are reporting 90%+ match for 2015. There were about 50 or maybe more from previous years in the draft class.

Class size of 79! Just a couple of years ago KSUCPM was over 100. I would hope that with the decreased class size they could match even closer to 100% but with a shortage something has to give somewhere.

For those who remain unmatched, stick with it! Find a preceptorship or whatever they are called now and get yourself in front of programs. You need to work TWICE as hard to prove yourself especially with the stigma that exists for the unmatched. Spend some time in quality self reflection and examine either personal weaknesses or poor decision making and correct them the next round. There were plenty of good, quality students in my class that went unmatched. Just because you are unmatched does not make you unworthy of a residency!!

Last edited:
I thought Kent had a 100 or so person class each fall? They lost 21 from first to fourth year?!

Class size of 79! Just a couple of years ago KSUCPM was over 100. I would hope that with the decreased class size they could match even closer to 100% but with a shortage something has to give somewhere.

I thought Kent had a 100 or so person class each fall? They lost 21 from first to fourth year?!

Short answer is yes we lost a lot. I think probably 10 of those bowed out for personal reasons if memory serves. Some came back in later classes. My application cycle was the one year that anyone really made an effort to try to account for the residency shortage. The classes of 2016, 17, and 18 are all over 110 I believe.

Short answer is yes we lost a lot. I think probably 10 of those bowed out for personal reasons if memory serves. Some came back in later classes. My application cycle was the one year that anyone really made an effort to try to account for the residency shortage. The classes of 2016, 17, and 18 are all over 110 I believe.

That is disappointing news about the classes of 2016, 17, 18. That will not help to resolve the shortage at all, that will just make it worse!

Members don't see this ad :)
KSUCPM website states that the average class size is 125. That's a huge class.

125 might be a bit high...but whatever the number is, it's still a freaking lot and it's more than residencies have the capability of employing. It's also, sadly, about 30 more than are actually able to handle a medical education

Looks like Kent is doing a fantastic job swindling money from students while consistently adding to the pool of unmatched applicants, leaving them with nothing but a useless piece of paper and a crippling mountain of debt.

Looks like Kent is doing a fantastic job swindling money from students while consistently adding to the pool of unmatched applicants, leaving them with nothing but a useless piece of paper and a crippling mountain of debt.

Really what needs to happen is for the CPME to step in and cut our max number per class down to about 100. As it stands it's like 135. Kent won't cut it themselves because $$$ and the new KSUCPM administration wants to cut it but can't because the university demands greater enrollment numbers.

Really what needs to happen is for the CPME to step in and cut our max number per class down to about 100. As it stands it's like 135. Kent won't cut it themselves because $$$ and the new KSUCPM administration wants to cut it but can't because the university demands greater enrollment numbers.

CPME has repeatedly stated that changes to school enrollment is not even worth discussing, probably for the same reasons.

CPME has repeatedly stated that changes to school enrollment is not even worth discussing, probably for the same reasons.

Right you are. And for those wondering, I'm not a disgruntled unmatched student taking my frustrations out on the college. I'm an annoyed matched student who is one of probably 50 or so at Kent who saw this coming back in like January or earlier.

Is there any match data available for Samuel Merritt, Western or Barry?
Western has 100% residency placement this year, that was confirmed by the school. Congratulations to all that matched.

Reactions: 3 users

As many here have said it boils down to the bottom line for these schools and there is no organization that holds the power to truly regulate enrollment, instead they really only have the power to suggest enrollment decreases. The schools will therefore continue to take advantage of students for $$ and devalue/degrade the profession.

Western: 100% boards part 1 and part 2, 100% residency placement
Barry: 100% boards part 1, 98% part 2, 100% residency placement
DMU: 100% part 1 and 2, 100% residency placement
Arizona and NY: 100% residency placement

With the exception of New York, the schools that struggle each year are the "business" schools: Scholl, Temple, Kent State.
Kent State consistently has the highest total enrollment. (http://www.aacpm.org/html/statistics/PDFs/MatrStats/ENROLLMENT 2013 revised.pdf).

Barry: 100% boards part 1, 98% part 2, 100% residency placement
Don't you have to pass part 2 to get a residency? All schools crunch their numbers to make themselves look better. Clearly, if the above is not a typo Barry is fudging their 100% residency placement.

I believe passing Boards part 2 (written and clinical) are required be eligible for residency.

I'm a student starting at Scholl in the Fall and am wondering if I should be concerned about their match rate...does anyone know the exact stats for Scholl 2015?

NYCPM Match List 2015
Aria Health PA
Bellevue NY (2)
Beth Israel NY (3)
Botsford Hospital MI (2)
Coney Island NY
Crozer Med Ctr PA
Dekalb Med Ctr GA
DVA – Alabama
DVA – Eastern Colorado
DVA – Maryland
DVA – New Jersey
DVA – NY Harbor (3)
DVA – Puget Sound WA
Forest Hills LIJ NY (3)
Geisinger Med Ctr (PA)
Good Samaritan NY (3)
HealthAlliance NY
Hennepin MN
Henry Ford Macomb MI
Hoboken NJ (2)
Inova Fairfax VA
Inspira Health Network NJ
Kingsbrook Jewish NY (3)
Lenox Hill NY (2)
Lutheran Med Ctr NY
Long Island Jewish NY (3)
MedStar DC (2)
MetroWest MA
Montefiore Med Ctr NY (4)
Montefiore Mt. Vernon NY (2)
Morristown Memorial NJ (2)
Mount Sinai NY (4)
NY Hospital Queens (2)
NY Methodist (2)
NYCPM/Metropolitan
Our Lady of Lourdes NY (2)
Palisades Med Ctr NJ
Providence Hospital MI
Richmond Univ NY
Roger Williams RI
South Nassau Comm NY
St. Barnabas NJ
St. Barnabas NY
St. Francis CT
St. John Macomb MI
St. John’s Episcopal NY (2)
St. Mary’s NJ
St. Michael’s NJ
St. Vincent Hospital IN
Staten Island Univ NY
SUNY Downstate NY
Trinitas Regional NJ
Womack Army Med Ctr NC
Wyckoff Heights NY (4)
Yale New Haven/DVA CT

*organized and edited by josebiwasabi

Last edited:
Scholl had 91 students eligible for match, 10 students went into the scramble and 7/10 students matched during MPII. Roughly 97% match.

so it seems like just about every school has 100% placement.

the numbers say 524/541 of 2015 matched.

97% of 2015 matched.

residency crisis resolved?

Scholl, Kent and Temple are by far the biggest offenders. Hands down. But there is no one to stop/ regulate them.

Temple had 87 students in the Match, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. They haven't had a class above 100 students in several years because of the cap.

Scholl, Kent and Temple are by far the biggest offenders. Hands down. But there is no one to stop/ regulate them.

"There is no one to stop/regulate them" I don't care what they did when you were in school, they are now capping classes. Stop talking in the present tense when that was the past.

My understanding of the "capping" is that previously schools could multiply their base enrollment by a percentage - something like ~10-20% and add that in. This additional multiplier is no longer allowed, but it wasn't taken away that long ago - its hardly the distant past.

WesternU Match List 2015
Inova
Scripps Mercy
Swedish
Long Beach (2)
Kaiser Santa Clara (2)
Doctor's Hospital of West Covina
Cedars Sinai
St. Vincent Charity Medical Center
Chino Valley Medical Center
Mt. Auburn
Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital
CCF/Mercy
New York Hospital Queens
Fountain Valley Medical Center
DVA Loma Linda
DVA Miami
North Colorado Medical Center
Jewish Kentucky
DeKalb
Detroit Medical Center
DVA Los Angeles (2)
McLaren Oakland MI
Norton Auburn
DVA Lebanon
Westchester FL
Hahnemann University Hospital
Jamaica New York Hospital Medical Center

so it seems like just about every school has 100% placement.

the numbers say 524/541 of 2015 matched.

97% of 2015 matched.

residency crisis resolved?

I would not go so far as to say this, any unmatched in my opinion is crisis. Not to mention you are completely neglecting the backlog of unmatched from previous classes. Kent also will have an increase in class size next year which will likely prevent 100% placement across the board again next year.

Yes it has improved but I think it is unfair to say it is resolved when there are still 60 people who are up around $250,000 in debt with no job and the possibility they will not place anytime soon with a degree that is then worthless. Put yourself in their shoes before you declare this crisis as resolved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was in school when they were having 100+ students in each class. Know who you are talking to.

I can also say, based on when I graduated, that Ankle Breaker is indeed correct. Everyone else doesn't know what they are talking about, don't spread misinformation.

Hearty Congratulations to all that have matched. To those that haven't, my prayers and thoughts are with u. Wish u nothing but success in the near future.

Interesting to see where ppl have matched. Anyone have Scholls or Temple lists?

Temple at 100% placement (87/87). I'll try and post the official list at a later time.

how many did Temple hold out of match though? (Due to boards, academics, etc.)
3 due to boards. But 1 was a transfer from the NY school, and 1 was originally in the class of 2014. So really just 1 from the true Temple class of 2015. Impressive class

I would not go so far as to say this, any unmatched in my opinion is crisis. Not to mention you are completely neglecting the backlog of unmatched from previous classes. Kent also will have an increase in class size next year which will likely prevent 100% placement across the board again next year.

Yes it has improved but I think it is unfair to say it is resolved when there are still 60 people who are up around $250,000 in debt with no job and the possibility they will not place anytime soon with a degree that is then worthless. Put yourself in their shoes before you declare this crisis as resolved.

Not only that...10+ from the various schools werent eligible this year so they may be next on top of the fact that Kent is probably going to have many more in the pool next year vs this year. They had almost 80 eligible this year...if Im not mistaken their 2016 class is at 100+?

Ocean, DarkandTwisty posted a list earlier in the thread. I have copied and pasted the list below with a few changes. The school has not released an official list and the class is rather large so as individuals we do not have a full grasp on where everyone is going.

91 students eligible for match and roughly 97% match. I believe three people have been left high and dry.

Here is the previously posted list:
Adv IL Masonic Med Ctr/SCPM (3)
Aventura Hospital and Medical Center – Aventura, FL (1)
Christus Saint Patrick Hospital – Lake Charles, LA (1)
Columbia St. Mary’s Hospital – Milwaukee, WI (1)
Community Westview Hospital – Indianapolis, IN (1)
Covenant Medical Center – Waterloo, IA (1)
DePaul Health Center – Bridgeton, MO (1)
Detroit Medical Center – Detroit, MI (2)
DVA – Atlanta (1)
DVA – Chicago (1)
DVA – Dayton (1)
DVA – Eastern Colorado Hlth Care System (2)
DVA – Madison (1)
DVA – Richmond (1)
DVA – Tampa (1)
Franciscan Alliance St. Margert/MWU – Hammond, IN (1)
Genesys Regional Medical Center – Grand Blanc, MI (1)
Gundersen Lutheran Medical Foundation – La Crosse, Wisconsin (1)
Health Partners Institute/Regions Hospital – St. Paul, MN (1)
Highlands/Presbyterian St. Luke’s – Denver, CO (1)
Intermountain Medical Center – Murray, UT (2)
Katherine Shaw Bethea Hospital – Dixon, IL (1)
Legacy Health/Kaiser Permanente – Portland, OR (1)
Long Island Jewish Medical Center – New Hyde Park, NY (1)
Loyola University Medical Center – Maywood, IL (3)
McLaren Oakland Hospital – Pontiac, MI (1)
Medstar Washington Hospital Center – Washington D.C. (1)
Mercy Hospital – Coon Rapids, MN (1)
Mercy Hosptial & Medical Center – Chicago,IL (2)
Mercy St Vincent Medical Center – Toledo, OH (1)
Mount Sinai Hospital – Manhattan, NY (1)
Oakwood Annapolis Hospital – Wayne, MI (1)
Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center – Columbus, OH (1)
OSF St. Anthony Medical Center – Rockford, IL (1)
Presence St. Joseph – Chciago, IL (1)
Rush Univ Med Ct/Oak Park – Chicago, IL (2)
St. John Hospital and Medical Center – Detroit, MI (1)
St. Vincent Hospital – Indianapolis, IN – (1)
St. Vincent Hospital/WMC – Worcester, MA (1)
Univ of Pittsburgh Med Ctr Mercy – Pittsburgh, PA (1)
Univ of Texas Hlth Science Ctr – San Antonio, Tx (1)
Vangaurd Weiss Memorial Hosp – Chicago, IL (1)
Weiss Memorial Hosptial – Chicago, IL (1)
Western Pennsylvania Hospital – Pittsburgh, PA (3)
Yale New Haven/DVA Hlthcare System – New Haven, CT (1)

Temple had 87 students in the Match, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. They haven't had a class above 100 students in several years because of the cap.

Temple is capped at 100 students. 2 schools are allowed to take more students than Temple. During last year's match, Temple and the old OCPM had the largest number of students from pre-2012 in the match. Hopefully they tighten things down like NYCPM and get a little tougher on students who aren't hacking it. However, after hearing the Dean blame his students' previous failures on everyone else (ie the NBPME, COTH, etc)...I'm not holding my breath.

Just added some more people to the list...

Adv IL Masonic Med Ctr/SCPM (3)
Aventura Hospital and Medical Center – Aventura, FL (1)
Christus Saint Patrick Hospital – Lake Charles, LA (1)
Columbia St. Mary’s Hospital – Milwaukee, WI (1)
Community Westview Hospital – Indianapolis, IN (1)
Covenant Medical Center – Waterloo, IA (1)
DePaul Health Center – Bridgeton, MO (1)
Detroit Medical Center – Detroit, MI (2)
DVA – Atlanta (1)
DVA – Chicago (1)
DVA – Dayton (1)
DVA – Eastern Colorado Hlth Care System (2)
DVA – Madison (1)
DVA – Richmond (1)
DVA – Tampa (1)
Franciscan Alliance St. Margert/MWU – Hammond, IN (1)
Genesys Regional Medical Center – Grand Blanc, MI (1)
Gundersen Lutheran Medical Foundation – La Crosse, Wisconsin (1)
Health Partners Institute/Regions Hospital – St. Paul, MN (1)
Highlands/Presbyterian St. Luke’s – Denver, CO (1)
Intermountain Medical Center – Murray, UT (2)
Katherine Shaw Bethea Hospital – Dixon, IL (1)
Legacy Health/Kaiser Permanente – Portland, OR (1)
Long Island Jewish Medical Center – New Hyde Park, NY (1)
Loyola University Medical Center – Maywood, IL (3)
McLaren Oakland Hospital – Pontiac, MI (1)
Medstar Washington Hospital Center – Washington D.C. (1)
Mercy Hospital – Coon Rapids, MN (1)
Mercy Hosptial & Medical Center – Chicago,IL (2)
Mercy St Vincent Medical Center – Toledo, OH (1)
Mount Sinai Hospital – Manhattan, NY (1)
Oakwood Annapolis Hospital – Wayne, MI (1)
Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center – Columbus, OH (1)
OSF St. Anthony Medical Center – Rockford, IL (1)
Presence St. Joseph – Chciago, IL (1)
Rush Univ Med Ct/Oak Park – Chicago, IL (2)
St. John Hospital and Medical Center – Detroit, MI (1)
St. Vincent Hospital – Indianapolis, IN – (1)
St. Vincent Hospital/WMC – Worcester, MA (1)
St. Vincent's Medical Center-Jacksonville, Florida (2)
Univ of Pittsburgh Med Ctr Mercy – Pittsburgh, PA (1)
Univ of Texas Hlth Science Ctr – San Antonio, Tx (1)
Vangaurd Weiss Memorial Hosp – Chicago, IL (1)
Weiss Memorial Hosptial – Chicago, IL (1)
Western Pennsylvania Hospital – Pittsburgh, PA (3)
Yale New Haven/DVA Hlthcare System – New Haven, CT (1)

I have a question as a pre-pod that has been accepted and is doing some additional research on schools. I was wondering if the residencies place weight on the school you attended. For example, would a residency place a higher value on a student from DMU than Kent even if both students have the same stats?

As a more general question, do residences prefer students from their own state. I was looking through the match list and students from NYCPM seem to have matched more within the NY/NJ area while people from Kent are more focused in the OH area.

Last edited:
I have a question as an international pre-pod that has been accepted and is doing some additional research on schools. I was wondering if the residencies place weight on the school you attended. For example, would a residency place a higher value on a student from DMU than Kent even if both students have the same stats?

As a more general question, do residences prefer students from their own state. I was looking through the match list and students from NYCPM seem to have matched more within the NY/NJ area while people from Kent are more focused in the OH area.
With a few exceptions, residencies don't care which school you went to. The fact that a lot of students from NYCPM end up in NY and a lot of students from Kent end up in OH is more a byproduct of the fact that students who want to do a residency in NY or OH as the case may be tend to want to go to school in those areas too. Also students from those schools are probably more familiar with those residencies.