Match Day 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Applied- 1
Interviewed- 1
Ranked- 1
Matched.

This process, along with my schooling, is an absolute joke.
That all seems very efficient by most people's standards.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Programs Applied: 16

Interviews Attended: 10 (9 at CRIP in person, 1 online)

Programs Ranked: 8

Matched!

They actually changed it this year. They run a match one time for MP2. They will find out their program on match day.
Best way to do it IMO. They may have copied MD/DO at first (which obviously is a terrible terrible thing, how dare they!), but our current iteration is actually an improvement on their system.

pro tip: no one cares or knows your grades usually.
I would say they'll find out about your grades eventually, but often after they've already made up their mind about you. A +/- 0.2 on your GPA is not going to overturn your 4 weeks of work put in during clerkships in majority of cases.

Applied- 1
Interviewed- 1
Ranked- 1
Matched.

This process, along with my schooling, is an absolute joke.
For the children lurking, realize this is not the typical experience... lol

Reactions: 5 users
Happy to say I matched at my top choice!

Was very worried waiting for the match since I was really hoping for this single program that I know had a ton of people trying to go to. I thought I was going to scramble leading up to the match, so things couldn’t have worked out better!

Just a reminder to the 3rd year students, not all programs reach out after interviews. Mine were radio silent which is why I was worried I was scrambling. Most of my friends heard back within a few days of interviews so I felt pretty defeated at the time.

Excited to start residency soon!!

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know Ohio state is run by ortho and podiatry is second class there but still very surprised to see them on the list just because name alone should carry some weight

I matched at my top choice! They let me know a few weeks after interviews and they said i was in there top 3. I never felt like they were playing games with me so the past 2 months have been very chill.

That being said, I know there are a ton of programs that play so many games. I had so many friends who were expecting to go to their top, and ended up going to their lowest ranked program. Rank where you want to go, no matter what other programs tell you. Honestly there's not that much you can do about programs playing games. The programs themselves are excellent, I just don't like the games they played. When it came down to it, I ended up not ranking them at all. Moral of the story, believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see when it comes to what a program thinks about you.

IMO after the scramble this year you may be better off ranking a ton of places and matching instead of being at the mercy of the scramble.

Reactions: 6 users
I know Ohio state is run by ortho and podiatry is second class there but still very surprised to see them on the list just because name alone should carry some weight
I heard they don’t do many cases. When I interviewed with them several years ago they flat out told me if I want volume to go elsewhere

• Wow
I matched at my top choice! They let me know a few weeks after interviews and they said i was in there top 3. I never felt like they were playing games with me so the past 2 months have been very chill.

That being said, I know there are a ton of programs that play so many games. I had so many friends who were expecting to go to their top, and ended up going to their lowest ranked program. Rank where you want to go, no matter what other programs tell you. Honestly there's not that much you can do about programs playing games. The programs themselves are excellent, I just don't like the games they played. When it came down to it, I ended up not ranking them at all. Moral of the story, believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see when it comes to what a program thinks about you.

IMO after the scramble this year you may be better off ranking a ton of places and matching instead of being at the mercy of the scramble.
Welcome to the show. Glad you ended up where you wanted.

There are programs who play games.
There are programs who don't.

Pay attention to what they say compared to what they actually do.

Their main objective is to ensure all their seats are filled with the most qualified people they want. Whether that be stat padding, individual personalities, how you guys will interact with your future coresidents- that's up to the program to decide.

Some are much more transparent than others. Some like to play the game and will lie through their teeth to ensure their yield is protected. I can't blame them but I'm at a place where I chose based off of how good their transparency was alone so its always fun to read these.

Applied: 11

Interviewed: 9

Ranked: 6

Matched today!
Ended up matching at my number one! I will say, they did call me and say they were ranking me "highly enough to feel the need to call", so it was appreciated. I knew I was in either my one or two, very confidently.

Points for interviews: Do plenty of case workups, and rapid fire questions you can find. Most of my questions revolved around fractures or infection, one was on a skin tumor in particular. And for the love of god, be normal. Be jovial and cordial with your interviewers if able, smile!

When do programs start reaching out for the onboarding process?

Is there a way to see who matched where? More specifically, what is the best way to find out who my co-residents are?

Last edited:

Is there a way to see who matched where? More specifically, what is the best way to find out who my co-residents are?
Mine reached out, and want me to apply for my medical license in that state by April 1st. So I assume yours will soon. As to find out co residents, I found out when they sent the onboarding emails tagged with all other incoming residents

Question: my program sent me the packet and the form includes applying to the state where I will be resident in. It is asking for the license # and stuff that I don't have. Do I just leave those areas blank?

Members don't see this ad :)

I guess it depends on the program but I know some students who received their onboarding email on the match day and some students haven't received it yet. I received mine couple days ago!

They'll cc co-residents on the email. Also check to see if your program has insta. I saw various programs posting about their incoming residents on their insta page.

Reactions: 2 users
How did everyone make time to visit programs 4th year in between externships?

The process begins soon after the official full match day. Don't worry if your program did not contact you yet; they will. As stated above, you will most likely find out who your co-residents are through your program. You can also text/email the chief resident/program coordinator and find out. Social media is another route.

Everyone begins the onboarding process sometime in June, and the official day for residency throughout the US is July 1st for that year. Keep these dates in mind if planning a vacation in June.

Mainly during the holiday breaks or taking a personal day. It's rare, but you can also try for a weekend.

I am not sure if this is official yet (and not to derail this thread), but I've heard that for the class of 24, Part 2 will be given in December 2023.
If this happens, you can definitely visit in January before heading to Tx.

Reactions: 1 users
You do it during a clerkship, not between. Have an abundance mentality. Have confidence.

Many students try to be sneaky and plan 'travel days' where they can go see another program under the radar, but that's cowardly and easy to read through anyways. The good programs will generally choose a well-qualified student who knows their stuff and confidently tells them that s/he will be gone a couple days ...as opposed to a barely-qualified wimp who tries to kiss the bottom of the director every single day of the extern month.

I would - and I did - just tell (don't ask!) a program at or before the start of your month that you are taking a Th + Fri or whatever to see another area program. I did this on 2/5 of my externship months, maybe 3/5. You have to find out what day(s) the director of the program you'll visit is in clinic and set it up. There is no need to rub it in the faces of the clerkship program attendings or residents, but you don't have to hide it either. Don't feel bad if they're giving you free room/board or food; your clerkships are YOUR clerkships.

Now, obviously if you're doing PI, the Atlanta VA isn't worth visiting. But if you're in Denver or Detroit or Pitt or NorCal or Louisville or etc, there are multiple good programs nearby. Make the time. Plan it out.

Basically, if they are confident they have a good program, they won't care... they might even tell you which other programs in the city are worth a look. I matched at my top choice program despite doing this (visiting two others in Detroit during my clerk month), and they encouraged visiting the other top programs in the metro. Likewise, if you are confident you're one of their best students, you shouldn't feel bad about it. 90% of the days from an excellent student beats 100% from a mediocre... every time. Do you really wants a program that picks students based on their sucking up and perfect attendance? No way. Good programs know you have limited clerkships, hundreds of residency hospitals, and they know you already picked them as one of the 3-6 or whatever pre-interviews clerkships that each school allows. :thumbup:

Reactions: 3 users
You do it during a clerkship, not between. Have an abundance mentality. Have confidence.

Many students try to be sneaky and plan 'travel days' where they can go see another program under the radar, but that's cowardly and easy to read through anyways. The good programs will generally choose a well-qualified student who knows their stuff and confidently tells them that s/he will be gone a couple days ...as opposed to a barely-qualified wimp who tries to kiss the bottom of the director every single day of the extern month.

I would - and I did - just tell (don't ask!) a program at or before the start of your month that you are taking a Th + Fri or whatever to see another area program. I did this on 2/5 of my externship months, maybe 3/5. You have to find out what day(s) the director of the program you'll visit is in clinic and set it up. There is no need to rub it in the faces of the clerkship program attendings or residents, but you don't have to hide it either. Don't feel bad if they're giving you free room/board or food; your clerkships are YOUR clerkships.

Basically, if they are confident they have a good program, they won't care... they might even tell you which other programs in the city are worth a look. I matched at my top choice program despite doing this (visiting two others in Detroit during my clerk month), and they encouraged visiting the other top programs in the metro. Likewise, if you are confident you're one of their best students, you shouldn't feel bad about it. 90% of the days from an excellent student beats 100% from a mediocre... every time. Do you really wants a program that picks students based on their sucking up and perfect attendance? No way. Good programs know you have limited clerkships, hundreds of residency hospitals, and they know you already picked them as one of the 3-6 or whatever pre-interviews clerkships that each school allows. :thumbup:
Solid advice.

Mainly during the holiday breaks or taking a personal day. It's rare, but you can also try for a weekend.

I am not sure if this is official yet (and not to derail this thread), but I've heard that for the class of 24, Part 2 will be given in December 2023.
If this happens, you can definitely visit in January before heading to Tx.
I can confirm Part II is in december

The process begins soon after the official full match day. Don't worry if your program did not contact you yet; they will. As stated above, you will most likely find out who your co-residents are through your program. You can also text/email the chief resident/program coordinator and find out. Social media is another route.

Everyone begins the onboarding process sometime in June, and the official day for residency throughout the US is July 1st for that year. Keep these dates in mind if planning a vacation in June.
This reply was both informative and comforting. Thank you for that.

Weekends, holidays, and DEFINITELY take multiple days off during your "home" rotations with your school if you have those in 4th year.

Also look at your clerkships that take place during a 5 week month. Try to find out if they make you stay all 5 weeks (many don't). You can easily visit 2-3 programs in that one week if you really wanted to. You can talk to your classmates, upperclassmen, and alumni to find out if they want you to stay that week.

Finally, if a program tells you to take the last 1-2 days off to travel, take it unless it's one of your top choices and hit another program en route to your next place.

Visiting can make a huge difference. Do it if you can.

Question: my program sent me the packet and the form includes applying to the state where I will be resident in. It is asking for the license # and stuff that I don't have. Do I just leave those areas blank?
You can register for an NPI# as a student if that's what you're asking about. Takes about 10 minutes. They said it may take 3 business days to issue a number but I got an email with mine instantly. When you fill out the application, put the practicing location as your school, and for "Taxonomy" put "Student in Healthcare Education Organization". You can easily change it to resident later.

Is it common to match with a January program? I have a program I really like scheduled for January but i heard people saying decision are made by December?

Is it common to match with a January program? I have a program I really like scheduled for January but i heard people saying decision are made by December?
It’s never too late, as someone who matched at a December program. Make the effort to visit if you’re truly interested and kill the interview.

If it wasn’t possible, there wouldn’t be people at programs they never externed at

For what it’s worth, I matched at my January program. I know someone else who matched with their February program. The decision *really* isn’t made until they submit their rank order list.

Just give this year your best shot and see where you land. That’s all you can do.

Hi, Getting ready for selecting interviews 2024! I am curious about The Heights Hospital program in Houston, Tx. Does anyone have any comments/colleagues that have rotated there/how residency is like there? I could not find their website. Thanks!
May be where previous Houston-St. Joseph's is moving to?
Can anyone confirm?

May be where previous Houston-St. Joseph's is moving to?
Can anyone confirm?
Looks like it is since Lepow is the director. Avoid, avoid, avoid. That St. Joseph program was horrible and this one will be too. If you want to go to Houston for residency go to West Houston first or Kingwood second.

• Care
Looks like it is since Lepow is the director. Avoid, avoid, avoid. That St. Joseph program was horrible and this one will be too. If you want to go to Houston for residency go to West Houston first or Kingwood second.

I've heard the name Lepow before. Just curious, what was wrong with him and St. Joseph?

I've heard the name Lepow before. Just curious, what was wrong with him and St. Joseph?

See review above.

I also cannot recommend that program, wherever it ends up geographically.

If any residents who are currently there are reading this and would like to offer their viewpoint, more than happy to post an anonymous review.

Gary Lepow's residency interview case used to involve getting students to order an MRI so they could justify a 1st MPJ implant.

If that's not enough information he's also the rudest podiatrist I've ever met and I've met West Penn residents who want to do a fellowship.

Gary Lepow's residency interview case used to involve getting students to order an MRI so they could justify a 1st MPJ implant.

If that's not enough information he's also the rudest podiatrist I've ever met and I've met West Penn residents who want to do a fellowship.
The rudest podiatrist award would be quite exceptional, considering there are so many rude podiatrists in the field as is.

The rudest podiatrist award would be quite exceptional, considering there are so many rude podiatrists in the field as is.
He is an ideal candidate

• Sad