LMU-DCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED!! :D

I got the call at about 4:30 CST. I was complete on 1/15 and interviewed on 1/26.

Hey guys, I'm new to SDN. On that 1/26 interview date, I'm OH, and I asked whether you were elephant man. I didn't receive a call, but I did get on the alternate list, in the mail today. Go, LMU-DCOM acceptees! And good job to you too, KS. And AZ. And NY. It was a pleasure meeting you all. Best wishes to your medical careers. I'll see what I can do about this alternate list, maybe an LOI or something, as mentioned before on this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I live in some pretty nice apartments (they were new when we moved in) and everyone in my building will be moving out in June. There are 4 units in the building, all are 2 bedroom 2 bathroom with W/D hookups, dishwasher, pretty nice. PM me for more info if you're interested or want to come look at them.

Good Luck :D
Where are these located? And if people aren't moving in until July for classes is that going to be an issue at all? I see now you said to PM you...I can do that if you'd rather not post that info. I'm just looking for a general location though :)

Where are these located? And if people aren't moving in until July for classes is that going to be an issue at all? I see now you said to PM you...I can do that if you'd rather not post that info. I'm just looking for a general location though :)

I'm prions roommate :). The apartments are down in the gap, kind of across the way from Webb's (idk if you went down in the gap at all, but it's a cute little town). They are down the hill from the student apartments. I don't really think that not moving in until July is going to be a problem.. but I guess it depends on if she has somebody who is willing to move in earlier and start paying earlier. However, she hasn't done much advertising and hasn't been successful in renting out the apartment below us that has been vacant since July, so hopefully she would work with you since all of her apartments are going to be vacant come June. :) PM prions or myself if you would like contact info!

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on taking both. I think its important to take the USMLE to remain competitive with our allopathic counterparts.

Some allopathic residencies will accept COMLEX scores. I would recommend checking those out before deciding. For example, an EM residency in Tampa accepts COMLEX. However, carefully consider if you want to take USMLE. If you don't pass it and the residency you want accepts both scores, you'll have to answer questions about not passing USMLE. You have a lot of time to decide that and speak with your advisor about your options.

Hey guys, I'm new to SDN. On that 1/26 interview date, I'm OH, and I asked whether you were elephant man. I didn't receive a call, but I did get on the alternate list, in the mail today. Go, LMU-DCOM acceptees! And good job to you too, KS. And AZ. And NY. It was a pleasure meeting you all. Best wishes to your medical careers. I'll see what I can do about this alternate list, maybe an LOI or something, as mentioned before on this thread.

Icecold, hang in there. My friend Dawn who is was a member of the first class was alternate listed and was called in June that she was accepted. Definitely find out what you can do to increase your chances. One caution that I received: don't pester them as it turns them off. If you check in once a month or so, that should be okay (although I would ask them what is acceptable). Hang in there and we are pulling for you! That group from the 26th was awesome and a good group of people!

I'm prions roommate :). The apartments are down in the gap, kind of across the way from Webb's (idk if you went down in the gap at all, but it's a cute little town). They are down the hill from the student apartments. I don't really think that not moving in until July is going to be a problem.. but I guess it depends on if she has somebody who is willing to move in earlier and start paying earlier. However, she hasn't done much advertising and hasn't been successful in renting out the apartment below us that has been vacant since July, so hopefully she would work with you since all of her apartments are going to be vacant come June. :) PM prions or myself if you would like contact info!

If you didn't get a chance to get down into Cumberland Gap, it is a cozy little town! Also, I have to put in a plug for Webb's. I had the chance to eat dinner down there and it is reasonably priced and the food is awesome (if you like a good home-cooked country meal)!

Could somebody please post more information on Mars Apartments, like website or tenant information, or please PM me.
Thanks

good luck! i've seen LOI's work, a friend got into UVA med a week after he send one :)

I have been reading this thread for sometime now, but haven't had anything to post... that is, until I got that great call from Dean Stowers a few weeks ago!!

I've decided that LMU-DCOM is the place for me, but I too am a little worried about finding good housing. I am planning a trip through the area in mid-March and I am hoping to track down a place to live. Any suggestions? (I can't do student housing on account of my cat, Mr. Stinky)

I know a lot of you are looking for housing, and one of the downsides of the area is that a lot of housing is shared by word of mouth. The need and motivation to advertise to people outside the area is lacking. That being said, I want to caution you all on renting from Roger Ball. I lived in one of his duplexes last year and it was one of the poorer living arrangements I've experienced. Our duplex wasn't finished when we moved in, and once it was "finished" there were a number of recurrent headaches. Most notably our front door didn't seal well and there were nails coming up through the kitchen floor. As with anything on the internet, take this with a grain of salt, but I must say I expected more from a place that is $200 more than I'm now paying (I wouldn't have found this unless I was living here and actively looking).

I know a lot of you are looking for housing, and one of the downsides of the area is that a lot of housing is shared by word of mouth. The need and motivation to advertise to people outside the area is lacking. That being said, I want to caution you all on renting from Roger Ball. I lived in one of his duplexes last year and it was one of the poorer living arrangements I've experienced. Our duplex wasn't finished when we moved in, and once it was "finished" there were a number of recurrent headaches. Most notably our front door didn't seal well and there were nails coming up through the kitchen floor. As with anything on the internet, take this with a grain of salt, but I must say I expected more from a place that is $200 more than I'm now paying (I wouldn't have found this unless I was living here and actively looking).
Did he fix the problems?

Members don't see this ad :)
Could somebody please post more information on Mars Apartments, like website or tenant information, or please PM me.
Thanks

The "Mars" apartments are owned by LMU now. It is basically overflow from the university inn.

Thanks

The Mars Apartments are larger and nicer than the University Inn and cost less to live in ($500 vs $600). They're 3-bedroom apartments with individual bathrooms. The school has only put 2 people in each of them so far, leaving a spare bedroom for guests. One building has DCOM students and the other has regular LMU students.

The University Inn is studio apartments converted from a hotel, except for those apartments that combine two adjacent rooms.

The Mars Apartments are larger and nicer than the University Inn and cost less to live in ($500 vs $600). They're 3-bedroom apartments with individual bathrooms. The school has only put 2 people in each of them so far, leaving a spare bedroom for guests. One building has DCOM students and the other has regular LMU students.

The University Inn is studio apartments converted from a hotel, except for those apartments that combine two adjacent rooms.

The "Mars" apartments are owned by LMU now. It is basically overflow from the university inn.

Thank you, I did not know this. I have pets so it does not work for me.
I just really don't know how we suppose to find a place to live in if it is "shared by word of mouth".
Do you guys think there will be more posts on DCOM DO or Facebook as June/July rolls around?
Did you guys went back to Harrogate a month before moving to find a place?
Could the students who move out post their tenant info here?
I would like to rent a 1 bd, does anybody living in one who is moving out in June?
Thanks

Also, I found ball realty website they have 1 bd apartments and 2 bd duplexes, they are just too expensive for me. Even in ATL I paid cheaper for a 2 bd/2 bath apartment, and I personally assumed living will be cheaper in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:
Also, I found ball realty website they have 1 bd apartments and 2 bd duplexes, they are just too expensive for me. Even in ATL I paid cheaper for a 2 bd/2 bath apartment, and I personally assumed living will be cheaper in the middle of nowhere.
You're so right. Living outside on of the largest cities in the state and I had a 1 br for cheaper than I've here. It seems landlords are definitely taking advantage of the lack of housing. Or something.

As for what to do, maybe you can break out a map and whitepages.com and call a realtor in the towns around the school? See if they have rental listings? for some reason, this area hasn't caught on to advertising on the internet. Makes it difficult.

I have a few questions about testing at DCOM. So for exams you have one exam for all the classes pretty much every two weeks or so, and then lab practicals for OPP and Anatomy, right?

After the individual test I know later in the day you do the group test. Is this for points or more to go over the questions, see if there are any that should be thrown out/have multiple answers? Thanks!

Our duplex wasn't finished when we moved in, and once it was "finished" there were a number of recurrent headaches. Most notably our front door didn't seal well and there were nails coming up through the kitchen floor. As with anything on the internet, take this with a grain of salt, but I must say I expected more from a place that is $200 more than I'm now paying (I wouldn't have found this unless I was living here and actively looking).

Did he fix the problems?

The front door issue never was addressed; I had to go buy weather stripping and do it myself (which only partially solved the problem). As for the floor, we were told there was nothing to be done about the nails, it was just the way they were built. I hate to give negative endorsements, but my wife and I didn't have a positive experience, and a first year that is now renting from him has had many of the same complaints (in a different unit) and will likely be renting my house when we move.

I have a few questions about testing at DCOM. So for exams you have one exam for all the classes pretty much every two weeks or so, and then lab practicals for OPP and Anatomy, right?

After the individual test I know later in the day you do the group test. Is this for points or more to go over the questions, see if there are any that should be thrown out/have multiple answers? Thanks!

There were 5 written exams are for four subjects our first semester (anatomy, biochem/genetics/basic science supercourse, essentials of patient care, and biostat), and are generally 3 questions per lecture. There is also an anatomy lab practical exam two days afterwards. That works out to one exam every 3-4 weeks for block exams.

OPP exams are separate and occur roughly every 6 weeks (3 total). OPP practicals are held same day as the written exam, in the afternoons.

The block exams have been tweaked before (EPC used to be its own exam) and may continue to be tweaked before you get here.

The group written exams are held for all the reasons you listed. Generally, 2-5 questions get tossed or extra credit given as a result. You get something like 2% extra on your exam grade for attending, and lose 5% if you skip the team exam. Since you basically get to figure out your grade as you go along, the team exam is occasionally a form of torture. Practical exams do not have a group component, obviously :)

Hope that helps.

...i forgot to mention that testing schedule becomes more frequent starting your second semester - we have a written exam scheduled every 2 or 3 weeks, but only over one block class at a time. ends up being 7 exams total. OPP still has separate exams, 3 per semester. second year testing schedule looks about the same as that, from what i can tell.

Thank you very much JCrew!

Edit: I'm applying this next cycle, but I am just getting all of my research in for the schools I am applying to. I'm really liking DCOM though so far!

Thank you, I did not know this. I have pets so it does not work for me.
I just really don't know how we suppose to find a place to live in if it is "shared by word of mouth".
Do you guys think there will be more posts on DCOM DO or Facebook as June/July rolls around?
Did you guys went back to Harrogate a month before moving to find a place?
Could the students who move out post their tenant info here?
I would like to rent a 1 bd, does anybody living in one who is moving out in June?
Thanks

Renting was cheaper for the first class. After they came, landlords realized that medical students have to live somewhere and would pay accordingly. As for the cost to rent at the University Inn (which does include everything, even Internet), it probably costs them a lot to maintain it.

There will definitely be more posts on DCOM DO and Facebook. A few realtors will join the Class of 2014 group and advertise places available for rent, students will be looking for roommates, Robin Lamb will post on DCOM DO as people tell her about places, etc. There are students with pets in one bedroom apartments over on Panther Drive, but I don't know who they're renting from or how much that is.

Renting was cheaper for the first class. After they came, landlords realized that medical students have to live somewhere and would pay accordingly. As for the cost to rent at the University Inn (which does include everything, even Internet), it probably costs them a lot to maintain it.

There will definitely be more posts on DCOM DO and Facebook. A few realtors will join the Class of 2014 group and advertise places available for rent, students will be looking for roommates, Robin Lamb will post on DCOM DO as people tell her about places, etc. There are students with pets in one bedroom apartments over on Panther Drive, but I don't know who they're renting from or how much that is.

Thank you for your response. Do you have more info on this? That would be great for me and other people too, I guess.

Well, then I am on square 1 again. :(
Thanks
Did you talk to Ball and see if they had other property available? For some reason I thought they had more properties. But y'all keep in mind too, as Styria (I think) mentioned, dcomdo.com will have stuff posted closer to the summer and landlords will join your facebook group with info on available property.

While I think it's smart that you all are thinking about it now, don't get frustrated just yet. There's pretty much a whole class moving out of the area so some things that haven't been discussed will pop up closer to the end of this semester. Hang in there! :luck:

Did you talk to Ball and see if they had other property available? For some reason I thought they had more properties. But y'all keep in mind too, as Styria (I think) mentioned, dcomdo.com will have stuff posted closer to the summer and landlords will join your facebook group with info on available property.

While I think it's smart that you all are thinking about it now, don't get frustrated just yet. There's pretty much a whole class moving out of the area so some things that haven't been discussed will pop up closer to the end of this semester. Hang in there! :luck:

Thanks.

Does anyone that you know of commute from northern Knoxville? I know one of the faculty does this everyday, with about an hour drive each way.

Does anyone that you know of commute from northern Knoxville? I know one of the faculty does this everyday, with about an hour drive each way.

There are a couple of people in my class that make the commute. :thumbup:

Couple questions... Does DCOM have any pre-doctoral fellowships? Secondly, does DCOM have any preceptorships? Finally, does anyone know if you have to set up your core rotations yourself, or does the school set them up for you? Thanks guys!

DCOM has Anatomy/OPP fellows. (UNECOM is the only other school to have that combined fellowship rather than just OMT. DCOM's anatomy chair came from UNECOM and was one of their founding faculty too.) I think their ideal number is to accept 6 per year, but to start it off 8 out of 9 spots were filled by the first class and 7 were accepted from 13 applicants from the current second years in December. Fellows are supposed to have 6 or 12 months of clinical rotations before coming back to start fellowship (so they can relate OMT to actual practice to the students), and their fellowship year may be broken up into two six month blocks with more rotations in between. The first class was the odd one, with four starting fellowship before any clinical rotations because the need is great enough.

Fellows help teach anatomy and OPP, participate in practical exams, see patients in the clinic, have one year's tuition removed (5 years of school, pay for 3), and receive a stipend during their fellowship months.

a few in my class, too, but it's a small number. most people are within 20 min of school. i think someone in my class has a local apt for weekdays and uses weekends to commute home.

Hey folks!

Like many others have mentioned on here, I've spent days/weeks/months perusing this thread without so much as a peep. The time has come to break my vow of silence. I interviewed with the batch from 1/26 and got the call from Dean Stowers on 2/2 at 4:50 PM (just as I was walking home from work)!!! People on the sidewalk looked at me like I was an elated ***** (which, I guess I was at the time :)).

I'm looking forward to getting to meet/know you guys in the future. I've enjoyed reading your posts and getting some insight into your personalities.

Question: When would you recommend trying to secure housing for the upcoming school year?

Oh, and I owe a belated CONGRATS to all the acceptances to LMU-DCOM Class of 2014!!!

Hey folks!

Question: When would you recommend trying to secure housing for the upcoming school year?

QUOTE]

congrats! start looking soon - gives you the most options - but a lot of apts will also become available in the next few months as the second years leave us to head to rotation sites. the most convenient places to look online are class facebook pages or DCOMDO, as previously mentioned in this thread. property owners around here don't seem to list very aggressively online outside those forums. if you're near the area, definitely come look at the house or apt you're thinking of renting since we've had some people in my class move around due to unforeseen issues.

Hey folks!

Like many others have mentioned on here, I've spent days/weeks/months perusing this thread without so much as a peep. The time has come to break my vow of silence. I interviewed with the batch from 1/26 and got the call from Dean Stowers on 2/2 at 4:50 PM (just as I was walking home from work)!!! People on the sidewalk looked at me like I was an elated ***** (which, I guess I was at the time :)).

I'm looking forward to getting to meet/know you guys in the future. I've enjoyed reading your posts and getting some insight into your personalities.

Oh, and I owe a belated CONGRATS to all the acceptances to LMU-DCOM Class of 2014!!!

Congrats

Hey folks!

All right, mountainousmed!! Congratulations! Who are you? I also interviewed on 1/26.

I just wanted to say grats to all of those with recent acceptances!

:highfive:

Hey folks!

Congrats mountainousmed! Which one were you? Don't worry about the other during your celebration. I was in the hallway in the library right outside the tutoring center where I work and I think several got scared when I started whooping! Looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Couple questions... Does DCOM have any pre-doctoral fellowships? Secondly, does DCOM have any preceptorships? Finally, does anyone know if you have to set up your core rotations yourself, or does the school set them up for you? Thanks guys!

In terms of your core rotations, DCOM sets those up for you. You put which place(s) you want in a ranked list and its put into a lottery and you come out with a location for cores. As for electives, you can either choose docs on the affliation list with DCOM (and they will set it up for you) or if not on the list, you set them up yourself.

Some lucky person will be getting my seats at KCOM and LMU-DCOM...I got into DMU-COM and will be going there. Good luck for whoever gets my seat at KCOM and LMU-DCOM!

Can any current students give me the specs on the X200 tablet?

Processor?
Ram?
HD?
etc.

Just curious. Thank you.

CONGRATULATIONS to all who just got accepted recently! And I also wanna say HAPPY LUNAR NEW YEAR and Valentine's day to those who celebrate these holidays!

I'm thinking if we have time next year, we should get together and make egg rolls for class of '14 on New Year. lol:laugh:................. Well, too far to make any plan. But for now, let's enjoy the free time we have and get busy in the Fall! :D

Congrats to all the new acceptances!!!
Can any current students give me the specs on the X200 tablet?

Processor?
Ram?
HD?
etc.

Just curious. Thank you.
I'm not a computer expert but taking the basics from the profile:
Intel Core 2 duo w/ 1.86 GHz, 2.96 (3?) RAM.

That's all I have. I'm quite certain there are some techies out there who can give you all the juicy details. I think the displays are 13". but don't quote me on that. We have built-in cameras. Comes with the docking station.

Yeah. I can't think of anything else to tell you. :oops: