Licensure by Credentials via PGY-1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nawit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am a 2020 grad who took the endo/prosth portion of ADEX back in fall of 2019. Due to the pandemic I did not end up taking the perio or restorative portion of the exam.

Currently I am in my second year of orthodontic residency in NY with plans to work in NY for a few years. However, I want to know my options for licensure through credentials/endorsement.

I understand that many of the forms of licensure through credential still requires previously taking some form of patient based exam. I am curious to know if anyone knows which states allow licensure by credentials even with a PGY-1 license, such as what I will receive from NY. I have tried to do some research but its so much fine print that I am having difficulty finding out which will allow w/ PGY-1 vs which do not.

If anyone has this information I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise I will continue digging.

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Off head I know NY, CT, Ohio, Colorado, and I think Minnesota allow licensure via PGY-1 (I am sure I am forgetting a state, maybe AK?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Off head I know NY, CT, Ohio, Colorado, and I think Minnesota allow licensure via PGY-1 (I am sure I am forgetting a state, maybe AK?)
For CT, the form requires certain things that only a GPR resident would do, such as endo access, crown preparation etc. I guess that means if you are specializing that licensure through PGY-1 is not an option for that state?

For CT, the form requires certain things that only a GPR resident would do, such as endo access, crown preparation etc. I guess that means if you are specializing that licensure through PGY-1 is not an option for that state?

I think it would still be allowed, worth reaching out to the board.

I think those are only DLOSCE, except for Washington if you do a GPR in the sticks
A GPR in Washington is only required if you are getting your initial license through that pathway. If you hold a current license in another state and have been practicing 20 hours/week for the 4 years immediately preceding your application, you can apply for your license “without examination”.
There doesn’t seem to be any fine print excluding someone based on their exam.

A GPR in Washington is only required if you are getting your initial license through that pathway. If you hold a current license in another state and have been practicing 20 hours/week for the 4 years immediately preceding your application, you can apply for your license “without examination”.
There doesn’t seem to be any fine print excluding someone based on their exam.

I thought you could only go by credential if you took a clinical exam, if not that's great news!

I thought you could only go by credential if you took a clinical exam, if not that's great news!
MOST of the time, that is the case. In fact, a couple of states that didn’t have that specific stipulation previously, added it recently (e.g. New Mexico in 2018) to prevent anyone who hasn’t taken a patient-based clinical exam from getting a license in a round about way. But I combed through the WA state laws/policies before I applied for my license to make sure I wasn’t wasting my time or money. I ended up being able to get mine via the Canadian OSCE, but as far as I understand it, what I stated above is allowed by WA state. I linked it so that others could read over it and verify for themselves.

Reactions: 1 user
MOST of the time, that is the case. In fact, a couple of states that didn’t have that specific stipulation previously, added it recently (e.g. New Mexico in 2018) to prevent anyone who hasn’t taken a patient-based clinical exam from getting a license in a round about way. But I combed through the WA state laws/policies before I applied for my license to make sure I wasn’t wasting my time or money. I ended up being able to get mine via the Canadian OSCE, but as far as I understand it, what I stated above is allowed by WA state. I linked it so that others could read over it and verify for themselves.

Hmm very interesting, will keep this in mind thank you!