Dental match and licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Balancedocclusion

Reaction score
I was talking to a few people in regards to match and obtaining a license or limited license prior to residency and wanted to ask about it here.

If someone matches at a program where a limited license or full dental license is required prior to starting and finds out only after matching that they are not eligible for licensure and therefore not able to begin the program, having to then report to the program and the match that they have to withdraw, will that applicant be blacklisted from participating in future match cycles? Or are these things reviewed case-by-case?

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you not be eligible?
Sorry I didn’t mention this before, I was asking for NYS specifically where for either a license or limited permit they require you to have completed no less than 60 hours of preprofessional education which is like your undergrad

If someone graduated dental school abroad though, they need to do advanced standing but depending on their foreign program, they may not have satisfied those 60 hours and may still have missing college credits, leaving them not eligible for licensure or a limited permit in NYS

I remembered someone has gone through this a year before me where he was advanced standing, matched at a GPR in NY, and couldn’t get a permit bc of those missing credits and couldnt start the program. I know he didnt go through with the program but I was wondering what happens with the match then, if he was blacklisted or not as you would technically be breaking the agreement