Last semester rule regarding GI BIll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fliflopmaestro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an incoming student starting med school in the coming fall. I calculated that I will have only a few months left in my GI bill going into the final year. How do the payments work after I run out of GI Bill? Will the tuition be prorated in the last year such that I will have to cover a portion of the tuition? I also heard that if you are in your final semester, and have a few months of GI Bill left, VA will allow you to extend GI Bill till the end of the semester. Does that apply to medical schools as well?
I am not qualified for VOC rehab.

Members don't see this ad.

I am an incoming student starting med school in the coming fall. I calculated that I will have only a few months left in my GI bill going into the final year. How do the payments work after I run out of GI Bill? Will the tuition be prorated in the last year such that I will have to cover a portion of the tuition? I also heard that if you are in your final semester, and have a few months of GI Bill left, VA will allow you to extend GI Bill till the end of the semester. Does that apply to medical schools as well?
I am not qualified for VOC rehab.

GI Bill will pay costs in full for every month you have left. If you're certified by semester then the GI Bill should continue until the semester is finished. If it's your last semester then you're all good. If not, you might need to pursue a loan. Another consideration is the STEM extension. I had issues when applying for it in residency, but maybe you will have better luck. Might as well try for it if your coverage will run out, the worst they could do is say no.

Reactions: 1 user
GI Bill will pay costs in full for every month you have left. If you're certified by semester then the GI Bill should continue until the semester is finished. If it's your last semester then you're all good. If not, you might need to pursue a loan. Another consideration is the STEM extension. I had issues when applying for it in residency, but maybe you will have better luck. Might as well try for it if your coverage will run out, the worst they could do is say no.
As far as the certification goes, do medical school usually certify by semester or by year? My VA rep at one of the potential school told me that vacations are not included. I assumed he meant summer and winter. What about spring breaks?

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as the certification goes, do medical school usually certify by semester or by year? My VA rep at one of the potential school told me that vacations are not included. I assumed he meant summer and winter. What about spring breaks?

My school verified by semester with the break coming in the winter period IIRC, but it may vary based on what the registrar reports. 1st year for me was the only year with a summer break. The rest covered most of the year except winter break.

Reactions: 1 user
Gotcha. Thank you so much.
My school verified by semester with the break coming in the winter period IIRC, but it may vary based on what the registrar reports. 1st year for me was the only year with a summer break. The rest covered most of the year except winter break.