KCU-COM class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can I just wear scrub like every day? make life a little bit easier lol

You could. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

I had 3 complete sets and two extra pants. Got them all at walmart for $6 a piece and it worked out great, even with our busiest anatomy sections. By the end of the year, I just wore scrub pants and a tshirt/long sleeve because it's freezing down there lol.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Thank you! Does the smell come out of the scrubs in the wash or did you trash them after?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Does the smell come out of the scrubs in the wash or did you trash them after?

Uhh it comes out enough to tolerate having them in my closet lol. I used Arm and Hammer pods and those worked pretty well.

Definitely throwing them out as celebration at the end of the year though. I'll buy myself some nice new ones for anything I need them for next year haha.

On average, how long does someone who is efficient with their time spend studying each day?

On average, how long does someone who is efficient with their time spend studying each day?

Do you wanna be in the top 10% of your class or just pass? It ranges...if you wanna do really well and get A in your classes, it takes much more time obviously.

Reactions: 1 user

It depends a lot on the section! You can probably count on doing *really focused* "school stuff" for 8-10 hours per day -- going to class, going to lab, studying. More for anatomy-heavy sections and less for lighter sections like Endo. On a weekend before an exam it could be more like 12-14 hours per day.

I have always taken Friday nights off (with my fiancé) and Sunday dinners off (with my parents) and have never had a problem, even before exams. I'm a solid B/B- student but my free time is worth it to me, and I've never worried about passing.

(Oh, I'm also in the Bioethics dual degree, which takes about 4-6 hours per week including class!)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It depends a lot on the section! You can probably count on doing *really focused* "school stuff" for 8-10 hours per day -- going to class, going to lab, studying. More for anatomy-heavy sections and less for lighter sections like Endo. On a weekend before an exam it could be more like 12-14 hours per day.

I have always taken Friday nights off (with my fiancé) and Sunday dinners off (with my parents) and have never had a problem, even before exams. I'm a solid B/B- student but my free time is worth it to me, and I've never worried about passing.

Sunday dinners with parents! Lucky. I miss those days haha

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you wanna be in the top 10% of your class or just pass? It ranges...if you wanna do really well and get A in your classes, it takes much more time obviously.

I guess what I am trying to ask is if it is possible to be in the top 10% of your class and still have free time.

I guess what I am trying to ask is if it is possible to be in the top 10% of your class and still have free time.

Thats a hard question to answer because each student has a different way of learning and applying the material. Some can look at stuff once and do well (thus dont need as much time) while others need multiple passes of material and use multiple resources to do well (so have much less free time ).

Of the peeps i know who are at or near the top 10% they work their butt off all the time.

Like @AlteredScale said, it ranges. However, I am pretty sure that nobody in the top 10% is doing that without studying a ton. You gotta realize that EVERYONE in your class was in the top of their class in undergrad and then most "kick it up a notch" when they get to med school. Also realize that depending on what your goals are, class rank may not be important. However, it is always good to do well in courses because it will likely roll over into your board scores and that is what is more important.

PM me if you would like more specific info.

Last edited:
Like @AlteredScale said, it ranges. However, I am pretty sure that nobody in the top 10% is doing that without studying a ton. You gotta realize that EVERYONE in your class was in the top of their class in undergrad and then most "kick it up a notch" when they get to med school. Also realize that depending on what your goals are, class rank may not be important. However, it is always good to do well in courses because it will likely roll over into your board scores and that is what is more important.

PM me if you would like more specific info.
Thats a hard question to answer because each student has a different way of learning and applying the material. Some can look at stuff once and do well (thus dont need as much time) while others need multiple passes of material and use multiple resources to do well (so have much less free time ).

Of the peeps i know who are at or near the top 10% they work their butt off all the time.

Thanks!

(Oh, I'm also in the Bioethics dual degree, which takes about 4-6 hours per week including class!)

Just curious, how much more $ is the bioethics dual degree a semester/year?

Just curious, how much more $ is the bioethics dual degree a semester/year?

Right now the degree is about $20,000 total, spread out over 4 years - so about $2500 per semester

Anyone else from Cali plan on driving to KC? Looking forward to the road trip.

*Edit. Also, can anyone comment on whether or not I would need to make any changes regarding state license plates, driver's license, etc when moving to KC from CA. Thanks

Last edited:

*Edit. Also, can anyone comment on whether or not I would need to make any changes regarding state license plates, driver's license, etc when moving to KC from CA. Thanks

I moved from California to Kansas City as well. That drive is a beast. We did it in two days and stopped in Albuquerque the first night.

As far as the license plates/car insurance goes,I am not sure if you HAVE to, however I would do it just to save money. I pay 1/3 as much here for registration and car insurance here than I did in California.

I haven't switched my license because I don't think there is any benefit to switching it, plus you may have to move after two years at KCU for rotations.

Havent made any changes yet in terms of license plate or drivers license, hasnt had much of an impact tbh.

So Dr Dubin is leaving KCU? What's up with that? I'm kind of annoyed because that was one of the reasons I chose KCU? Any changes going to be made and is the curriculum going to stay as is?

So Dr Dubin is leaving KCU? What's up with that? I'm kind of annoyed because that was one of the reasons I chose KCU? Any changes going to be made and is the curriculum going to stay as is?

Where did you hear that?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes, Dr. Dubin is leaving "due to personal issues related to his health." I don't see any changes in the curriculum happening soon.

Yes, Dr. Dubin is leaving "due to personal issues related to his health." I don't see any changes in the curriculum happening soon.

That is too bad. I hope he is doing okay with his medical issues. He seemed like a straight shooter and had our best interests in mind!

Personally, I think that the curriculum's state will depend on upcoming MS2's board performance.

What
That is too bad. I hope he is doing okay with his medical issues. He seemed like a straight shooter and had our best interests in mind!

Personally, I think that the curriculum's state will depend on upcoming MS2's board performance.
:confused::dead:

I would be extremely suprised if they changed the curriculum simply because Dr. Dubin isn't here anymore.

Agreed. I guess what I was trying to say is that I would expect any curriculum to favor that in which correlates with higher board scores. Regardless of who is Dean. If that makes any sense..

Agreed. I guess what I was trying to say is that I would expect any curriculum to favor that in which correlates with higher board scores. Regardless of who is Dean. If that makes any sense..

It does...and since it is so new, there is no reason for the school to just change it. I honestly don't think you guys have anything to worry about. Regardless of where you go (except the Caribbean)...if you study hard you will be successful.

It was very unfortunate to see dr dubin resign. He just had a hip replacement and seems to be doing good but I guess there's other things

It does...and since it is so new, there is no reason for the school to just change it. I honestly don't think you guys have anything to worry about. Regardless of where you go (except the Caribbean)...if you study hard you will be successful.

I heard at accept day that the schedule was already done for this coming year

They told us pretty specifically that it's not.

Hopefully the curriculum stays consistent through both years. Feels silly to change anything!

Is big bro/sis a 1:1 assignment?

Dr. Dubin is resigning? Does anyone have any word on this? I was really looking forward to having him as a Dean.

From an email today:

Dr. Bruce Dubin will be resigning from his position as Executive Vice President of Academic Affairs, Provost and Dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine due to personal health issues. In the interim, Michael Johnston, DO, Vice Dean for the COM will serve as Dean. Some of you may have met Dr. Johnston already, he has been with the university for over 25 years and his specialty is internal medicine.

I think you got the word in that email. Nobody knows anymore than that at this point. I doubt much will change since his people he brought with him are still in place. Unfortunate.

From an email today:

Dr. Bruce Dubin will be resigning from his position as Executive Vice President of Academic Affairs, Provost and Dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine due to personal health issues. In the interim, Michael Johnston, DO, Vice Dean for the COM will serve as Dean. Some of you may have met Dr. Johnston already, he has been with the university for over 25 years and his specialty is internal medicine.

Dr. Johnston is a smart man. I am confident he can do the job while they actively search for a new dean.

AlteredScale is correct. Unfortunate that he resigned. I just gotta trust that dr Hahn will find a great replacement.

I called Admissions today in regards to this for matriculation requirements:

Official Transcripts(COM, COB and Bioethics)- Deadline: July 1, 2016
Important: All official transcripts need to be sent to Office of Admissions. You must include degree conferment dates (if applicable). Transcripts sent to AACOMAS for your COM application are not forwarded to our Office of Admissions. You must have official copies sent directly to us from all college/universities attended.

Just so you know, you do not need to resend your transcripts if you did not take/complete any new courses since submitting your AACOMAS when you first had to send your official transcripts during application cycle. Obviously you need to resend if you finished some pre-reqs recently or just completed Spring 2016 courses and graduated (class of 2016). I graduated last May (class of 2015) and have not taken any courses since, so they said I do not need to resend my transcript. I just wanted to let people know because I know it usually costs $ to send official transcripts and I thought it was a little confusing and unclear on the website.

Last edited:

Important: All official transcripts need to be sent to Office of Admissions. You must include degree conferment dates (if applicable). Transcripts sent to AACOMAS for your COM application are not forwarded to our Office of Admissions. You must have official copies sent directly to us from all college/universities attended.

Just so you know, you do not need to resend your transcripts if you did not take/complete any new courses since submitting your AACOMAS. Obviously you need to resend if you finished some pre-reqs recently or just completed Spring 2016 courses and graduated (class of 2016). I graduated last May (class of 2015) and have not taken any courses since, so they said I do not need to resend my transcript. I just wanted to let people know because I know it usually costs $ to send official transcripts and I thought it was a little confusing and unclear on the website.

Thanks for posting this. Was going to call and ask the same question!

Just so you know, you do not need to resend your transcripts if you did not take/complete any new courses since submitting your AACOMAS. Obviously you need to resend if you finished some pre-reqs recently or just completed Spring 2016 courses and graduated (class of 2016). I graduated last May (class of 2015) and have not taken any courses since, so they said I do not need to resend my transcript. I just wanted to let people know because I know it usually costs $ to send official transcripts and I thought it was a little confusing and unclear on the website.

It does say though that official transcripts aren't forwarded from AACOMAS, and I would think they would need to have the official stamped transcripts and not just the version they get from AACOMAS. Did you get this info directly from the admissions office?

It does say though that official transcripts aren't forwarded from AACOMAS, and I would think they would need to have the official stamped transcripts and not just the version they get from AACOMAS. Did you get this info directly from the admissions office?

The school must have one official copy of your transcripts sent from your school. The AACOMAS information doesn't 'count. I think what the previous post alludes to is that if you've already sent them official transcripts and there are no updates since you sent them to KCU originally, you have no need to send additional transcripts.

Just wanted to weigh in on this- you can and should have free time in med school, even when you're at the top of your class. School shouldn't replace family, health, friends, etc...you just have to be more intentional about your time since it's a lot of material. I'd recommend making sure that any time you're doing something for school, you're really focused on it. Put your phone away, try to stay off fbook and SDN, group study only if you're actually studying, actually pay attention to the lecture if you go to lectures. If you make your study time matter, you don't need to spend excessive hours in the library or the study hall.
FWIW, I was in the top 10% of my class the last 2 years and really only did schoolwork from 7 am-6 pm (weekends too)- and that includes going to lecture and lab. Sometimes your days have to be longer, but for me the key was really trying to focus on what I was doing and then noticing when I wasn't actually retaining information anymore and stopping there. And I'm not one of those crazy naturally smart people...I rode in here on 3.4 GPA from undergrad. I still found time to be part of a gym, have a relationship, do a dual degree program, and go enjoy KC nightlife (though not quite as often as some of my friends, I have to admit). It's worth putting in a lot of work during classes because now that we're in dedicated prep time for boards I feel super prepared - I actually moved my test up sooner because I decided I didn't need so much time to review haha.
Message me if you want any more info on managing time during school, but really what it boils down to is just be smart with your time and try to make every minute count, because more free time = happier student = better experience in med school.

Reactions: 15 users