KCU-COM class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree with @Higherprimate. The good thing about getting your books early from prior students is that you get those good deals. By the time you need some books (say an atlas), a lot of the students may have already sold theirs. But no, you dont absolutely need them right now.

Disagree, get every book on the list.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're not able to get used books from students, there's always the used books from Amazon option. I've bought a lot of used books off of amazon and never had any issues, although sometimes shipping takes a little longer than regular Amazon orders.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only book you'll possibly need prior to loan disbursement is medical biochemistry. I don't think you'll need your medical kit until late August/early September

We needed our medical kit the first week of classes last year.

I see a lot of talk on here, and in the facebook group, about people buying and selling texbooks and supplies. I don't really have the money to buy my supplies right now so I was planning on waiting until my student loan kicks in to do that. Is that going to be a problem? Do we need them right away?

I didn't buy any books until after school started and I never had any problems. Even some second years will have books to sell throughout the year. I never paid full price for the ones I ended up buying except for Olingers Atlas which I bought from the bookstore! You'll be fine waiting :)

Reactions: 2 users
These are the books I found most helpful. You will have plenty of time to order them as-needed throughout the year!

Medical Biochemistry
Moore's Anatomy (only for MSK)
Olinger's Anatomy (especially for MSK!)
BRS Physiology
Rapid Interpretation of EKG's

It's also worth finding PDF's of questions books, like the Guyton & Hall review book for physiology. BRS anatomy can be helpful too but the questions are typically much more difficult than our exams.

Definitely don't buy any books for PCM or OS. I did and I haven't used them once.

My other advice: definitely do the summer reading assignment for immunology! It helped me immensely when we got to that course, especially since I had no background in that subject. I'm still finding it helpful now, in path.

Reactions: 1 users
These are the books I found most helpful. You will have plenty of time to order them as-needed throughout the year!

Medical Biochemistry
BRS Physiology

It's also worth finding PDF's of questions books, like the Guyton & Hall review book for physiology. BRS anatomy can be helpful too but the questions are typically much more difficult than our exams.

Definitely don't buy any books for PCM or OS. I did and I haven't used them once.

My other advice: definitely do the summer reading assignment for immunology! It helped me immensely when we got to that course, especially since I had no background in that subject. I'm still finding it helpful now, in path.

What's the summer reading for immunology and where is it listed?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

What's the summer reading for immunology and where is it listed?

The professor will email you about it sometime in June, I think. It's not a huge amount!

Medical Biochemistry
BRS Physiology

What's the summer reading assignment for immuno?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What's the summer reading assignment for immuno?

Its a few chapters of some immuno book to help gear you for the course in HDM (host defense mechanisms) which is a two week intensive clinical immuno course.

Its a few chapters of some immuno book to help gear you for the course in HDM (host defense mechanisms) which is a two week intensive clinical immuno course.

Ok....Thank you! Not that it's an issue, but do they expect recall of all cytokines, their functions, and specific TLR targets?

Ok....Thank you! Not that it's an issue, but do they expect recall of all cytokines, their functions, and specific TLR targets?

In many cases - yes! It's a pain but definitely manageable. We're going back and redoing a lot of the cytokines now in path and it's a bit of a struggle, haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
In many cases - yes! It's a pain but definitely manageable. We're going back and redoing a lot of the cytokines now in path and it's a bit of a struggle, haha.

Good deal. I make my students learn them all anyway. So I expected they would do it for med school. Just thought I'd ask!

Good deal. I make my students learn them all anyway. So I expected they would do it for med school. Just thought I'd ask!

I would def say the bigger TLRs and CDs are def the stuff we hit and more than likely the stuff you teach your students goes into greater detail!

I would def say the bigger TLRs and CDs are def the stuff we hit and more than likely the stuff you teach your students goes into greater detail!

Works for me!!!!'

I've seen that some people have Moore's Anatomy and others have Thieme or Netter's Atlas of Anatomy. Are any of them particularly better than the others?

I've seen that some people have Moore's Anatomy and others have Thieme or Netter's Atlas of Anatomy. Are any of them particularly better than the others?

Moores is gold for the written exams cuz of the blue boxes, netters is good for visualization of stuff in lab.

In case anyone else wants some more input for Anatomy things, these are some of the resources I used/found helpful:

1. Essential Anatomy (app) for the iPad - I think it usually goes on sale around the beginning of the year - absolutely amazing! Very nice for isolating things like muscles, vessels, and nerves. There are two expansion packs that also go on sale that I've seen people use and they look great too - highly recommend!

2. Olinger's Atlas - the reason I liked this one so much is that there are actual photos of cadavers that Dr. Olinger dissected specifically for photos. It also has some great summary charts of muscles with their innervations and actions that were helpful - recommended specifically for lab, also good for MSK

3. Moore's Anatomy - whether you buy the book or find a PDF, you will definitely need the blue correlation boxes out of here for MSK exams! I never used this one in lab, I preferred the app and Olinger's but it's a really good book!

4. Netter's Coloring Book - I LOVE drawing so I might be biased here, but this absolutely helped me visualize and mark up the muscles in MSK. I should also say here I didn't have any prior anatomy experience so all of the muscle names were completely new to me haha. But this was super helpful for that specifically. I didn't use it much in systems courses, but they have organs and things in there too.

Hope this helps some, just wanted to give another perspective!

So if I plan to get Olinger and Moore I should be good to go for anatomy?

The essential anatomy app is so good! Def get irt!

Without a doubt it is arguably the single most valuable app I bought my first year. I would not have passed anatomy without it.

I just saw Matthews is closing. Is there a new bookstore coming next year?

Yes but it won't be just bookstore per se. You can still order books and med supplies there and they will be there when you order them but they won't be carrying a ton of books in stock like a normal bookstore. It's going to be more focused on selling food and other things (like a convenience store) in order to supplement the students because most of the places for food and stuff (food n stuff) are closed by 6 or 7pm and there are ton of students who simply leave because they can't study without food or drink. This one will be open very late and serve a lot of things and I think also have a mini little grocery mart to buy some foods (which is especially nice for those who live at Century Towers.

Yes, it's closing at the end of June and they should be opening one back up by fall hopefully. From the announcement they made a while back, it sounded like there was a plan in place and some improvements to look forward to so here's hoping it works out haha

Yes, it's closing at the end of June and they should be opening one back up by fall hopefully. From the announcement they made a while back, it sounded like there was a plan in place and some improvements to look forward to so here's hoping it works out haha

But where are we going to go for our daily dose of vigorous side-eye for using a credit card to buy a Diet Coke?

Yes but it won't be just bookstore per se. You can still order books and med supplies there and they will be there when you order them but they won't be carrying a ton of books in stock like a normal bookstore. It's going to be more focused on selling food and other things (like a convenience store) in order to supplement the students because most of the places for food and stuff (food n stuff) are closed by 6 or 7pm and there are ton of students who simply leave because they can't study without food or drink. This one will be open very late and serve a lot of things and I think also have a mini little grocery mart to buy some foods (which is especially nice for those who live at Century Towers.

Where will we be able to buy KCU gear and merchandise? I'd like to buy some shirts and coffee mugs to send to family members

Last edited:
Where will we be able to buy KCU gear and merchandise? I'd like to buy some shirts and coffee mugs to send to family members

Yeah they will still have gear there!

Where is the best Mexican food in KC?

Coming from san diego, im very picky haha but so far the best have been Bonito Michoacan, some of the places on southwest blvd, also burritos to go in NKC is good for breakfast burritos, burrito bros is like chipotle but is a nice change in terms of how they cook the meet, the sauces, and the rice.

Coming from san diego, im very picky haha but so far the best have been Bonito Michoacan, some of the places on southwest blvd, also burritos to go in NKC is good for breakfast burritos, burrito bros is like chipotle but is a nice change in terms of how they cook the meet, the sauces, and the rice.

Since you're talking food...If you guys haven't had Ethiopian cuisine before you MUST! Sooooooo delicious! There are 2 great restaurants around KC. Blue Nile is more KC proper, but Elsa's out in Old Overland Park is the better of the two.

The essential anatomy app is so good! Def get irt!

Thank you! So other than anatomy and the biochem book, what else do you suggest for the first semester? EKG? Physiology?

Dubins ekg is bomb and costanzo physiology and brs physiology are GOLD.

Does the curriculum for ekg focus more on single strip reading or 12 leads? For the ekg/ cardiology class I took this semester we used Dubin's more for the former and a couple of other great books for the 12 leads. I love EKG interpretation now!

Does the curriculum for ekg focus more on single strip reading or 12 leads? For the ekg/ cardiology class I took this semester we used Dubin's more for the former and a couple of other great books for the 12 leads. I love EKG interpretation now!

12 leads

And apparently medical school will also teach you what "Bomb" and "Gold" mean and how to tell the difference between the two. Haha @AlteredScale

Meet?

Just thought I'd leave this here…
ImageUploadedBySDN1464053932.931050.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Do any current first years remember when they got a course schedule?

A course schedule meaning like an academic calendar or something? I don't really remember receiving anything until orientation where they sync up the calendar with your electronic devices. Maybe they will post something sometime in the summer.

How many scrub sets do you guys recommend for anatomy lab? All heart was having a sale last week and I ordered 3 sets of the unisex scrubs because they were only $10 each. They're probably the crappiest/most unflattering scrubs I've ever worn but I'm assuming I'll want to toss them as soon as anatomy lab is over anyway.

How many scrub sets do you guys recommend for anatomy lab? All heart was having a sale last week and I ordered 3 sets of the unisex scrubs because they were only $10 each. They're probably the crappiest/most unflattering scrubs I've ever worn but I'm assuming I'll want to toss them as soon as anatomy lab is over anyway.

I had 3 complete sets and two extra pants. Got them all at walmart for $6 a piece and it worked out great, even with our busiest anatomy sections. By the end of the year, I just wore scrub pants and a tshirt/long sleeve because it's freezing down there lol.

Can I just wear scrub like every day? make life a little bit easier lol