KCU-COM class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Perfect, thank you! Is parking free in that area?

Hey I'm going to be joining onelife when I move and I went and checked it out. Really nice gym and there is a parking garage underneath the gym and grocery store. the gym validates for parking if you're a member.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey I'm going to be joining onelife when I move and I went and checked it out. Really nice gym and there is a parking garage underneath the gym and grocery store. the gym validates for parking if you're a member.

Talking about Constantinos right? (the grocery store). I can afford to window shop there...LOL

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Talking about Constantinos right? (the grocery store). I can afford to window shop there...LOL

Haha yep! That's the one.

Members don't see this ad :)

Are the prices really that bad? I walked around in there and it was probably the coolest grocery store I've ever been in. I didn't pay attention to the prices when I was there :/

Are the prices really that bad? I walked around in there and it was probably the coolest grocery store I've ever been in. I didn't pay attention to the prices when I was there :/
haha i dont think its that bad! maybe like the same price as a Whole Foods?

What is the schedule for orientation week like?

Its a bit long. Start at 8 or 9am everyday (all five days) and get done between 3-5. Lots of papers to fill, TB tests, introductions of faculty and intros to how youll spend the rest of your life (studying).

They make it less painful by serving food.

Reactions: 4 users
Is our first year of tuition for academic year 2016 or 2017? If it's 2017, our final year we'll be paying for academic year 2021? Why does that seem wrong to me....

Is our first year of tuition for academic year 2016 or 2017? If it's 2017, our final year we'll be paying for academic year 2021? Why does that seem wrong to me....
To my understanding, Academic years are classified as Fall 20XX-Spring20XX. So the first year's tuition would be for the academic year of 2016-2017.

To my understanding, Academic years are classified as Fall 20XX-Spring20XX. So the first year's tuition would be for the academic year of 2016-2017.

Right, that makes sense to me. But if you had to choose between '16 and '17, which would it be?

@AlteredScale is this year "Academic Year 2016" for you?

Right, that makes sense to me. But if you had to choose between '16 and '17, which would it be?

@AlteredScale is this year "Academic Year 2016" for you?

I think it's academic year 2015-2016 for us! M2 will be 2016-2017!

Everyone's "academic year" this fall will be 2016-2017. Fall 2016 and Spring 2017.
Then next fall it'll be Fall 2017.
Then spring 2018. And then I F'ing graduate.

The only thing different between classes is the grad designation "class of 2018" or "2019" or "2020".

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what iPad the 2020 class will be getting?

Also, can I buy my own iPad and use that for school instead of the one KCUMB provides? I know that I can't return or sell the iPad they provide. I prefer the 256GB Pro with cellular and am assuming that is not the one we will get.

Does anyone know what iPad the 2020 class will be getting?

Also, can I buy my own iPad and use that for school instead of the one KCUMB provides? I know that I can't return or sell the iPad they provide. I prefer the 256GB Pro with cellular and am assuming that is not the one we will get.

http://kcumb.edu/uploadedFiles/Content/Admissions/_Assets/Technology Guidelines.pdf

I stole this from the class FB page. Also, I am assuming you can buy our own iPad. Although, I don't know why you wouldn't use the one the school have you.

http://kcumb.edu/uploadedFiles/Content/Admissions/_Assets/Technology Guidelines.pdf

I stole this from the class FB page. Also, I am assuming you can buy our own iPad. Although, I don't know why you wouldn't use the one the school have you.

I wish they's allow us to pay the difference to get the new 9.7" pro. The Air 2 doesn't exactly match their description of the "newest model available as of March".

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hopefully that disclaimer on the top line comes in handy. This came out prior to the 9.7 pro announcement.

Anyone volunteer to call and ask tomorrow?! I asked at accepted students weekend and was given the nebulous "the newest model" reply.

Hopefully that disclaimer on the top line comes in handy. This came out prior to the 9.7 pro announcement.

I didn't even see that, nice catch! Who knows what they will pick. It would be nice to get the new iPad Pro model. But, it is cool if we don't.

I guess we will have to wait and see. I'm leaning toward iPad Pro, because of the apple pen!!

I didn't even see that, nice catch! Who knows what they will pick. It would be nice to get the new iPad Pro model. But, it is cool if we don't.

If the iPads are supposed to last us 4 years, why would they start us out with last years tech. Doesn't make sense. Last years class got air 2's, the previous year got air. I'm holding out hope for the 9.7 pro so I don't have to buy one on my own.

If the iPads are supposed to last us 4 years, why would they start us out with last years tech. Doesn't make sense. Last years class got air 2's, the previous year got air. I'm holding out hope for the 9.7 pro so I don't have to buy one on my own.

That's why said it would be nice if they gave the option to pay the difference between the price so that we could choose to get the pro if we really wanted it. That way they could still give air 2 to everybody else if that's really what they wanted to do and it wouldn't be any skin off their back.

Just spoke with admissions. Looks like it will be the air 2 and from what they said we can buy the pro if we want on our own, but we would probably still be required to use the air 2 for exams. I inquired as to whether we might be able to pay the difference in cost to get the pro and they said no. Their justification is that the one chosen is chosen based on meeting technical standards. However it seems to me that the pro being the newest model shouldn't present problems to that. And as someone else said, I'd like to be able to use the Apple Pen technology during classes and what not.

Just spoke with admissions. Looks like it will be the air 2 and from what they said we can buy the pro if we want on our own, but we would probably still be required to use the air 2 for exams. I inquired as to whether we might be able to pay the difference in cost to get the pro and they said no. Their justification is that the one chosen is chosen based on meeting technical standards. However it seems to me that the pro being the newest model shouldn't present problems to that. And as someone else said, I'd like to be able to use the Apple Pen technology during classes and what not.

That's frustrating

Technical standards (aka, costs less money). But still, the iPad Air 2 is solid and shouldn't be a problem. I will be mostly using my laptop on campus anyways.

How feasible is it to get a workstudy job while in school that isn't too demanding?

How feasible is it to get a workstudy job while in school that isn't too demanding?

You can do work study at school (because they offer some jobs here) here but tbh, the whole year is demanding from start to finish. There is very little down time.

I guess I just don't see the point in wasting money...that's all. $400+ a pop for a ipad that will only be used for exams, whether paid by the school or us, doesn't seem an effective use of money or technology. I hate to have a piece of equipment that just sits on a shelf other than the exams.

I guess I just don't see the point in wasting money...that's all. $400+ a pop for a ipad that will only be used for exams, whether paid by the school or us, doesn't seem an effective use of money or technology. I hate to have a piece of equipment that just sits on a shelf other than the exams.

Is the differenc ebetween a pro and air 2 that drastic for educational purposes outside of a pen?

You won't ONLY use the iPad for exams. I use mine for all the lectures slides, textbook pdfs, anything school related.

Reactions: 1 users
If I intended to use it for other purposes, such as note taking in class or highlighting when reading, yes. The apple pen interface is much more realistic in application. Not the end of the world at this point. I just won't use the ipad outside of exams. Problem solved!

Reactions: 1 users
If I intended to use it for other purposes, such as note taking in class or highlighting when reading, yes. The apple pen interface is much more realistic in application. Not the end of the world at this point. I just won't use the ipad outside of exams. Problem solved!

I forgot that pen is very very fluid. We 2019'ers still use the good ol pen and paper ;)

I forgot that pen is very very fluid. We 2019'ers still use the good ol pen and paper ;)

I hate all the paper I go through that way though!!! That's the eco advantage of the pro....hopefully kill less trees through reduction of my paper consumption!

I hate all the paper I go through that way though!!! That's the eco advantage of the pro....hopefully kill less trees through reduction of my paper consumption!

Haha well we are supposed to be a green school. Hell, i have to bring my TP for el banjo.

I dont think I have taken one note since day 1 hahahaha

You guys will have more important things to worry about than which iPad you are getting once you start school.

true that but in my current mode of "enjoy life before med school" I can be annoyed by that

Is the differenc ebetween a pro and air 2 that drastic for educational purposes outside of a pen?

Probably not, but
687474703a2f2f7777772e7465656e2e636f6d2f77702d636f6e74656e742f75706c6f6164732f323031342f30332f6f6e6c792d6368696c642d70726f626c656d732d73686172696e672d6d61696e2e6a7067

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry that I keep clogging this place up with this issue..but what do the financial aid award letters look like? I've gotten the GradPlus credit approval email but that's about it. All of my "needed documents" have been marked complete since 05/10. I'm asking because my apartment building requires some kind of proof of income and I'm not sure what I need to provide them with.

Sorry that I keep clogging this place up with this issue..but what do the financial aid award letters look like? I've gotten the GradPlus credit approval email but that's about it. All of my "needed documents" have been marked complete since 05/10. I'm asking because my apartment building requires some kind of proof of income and I'm not sure what I need to provide them with.

Something like this...not sure if this helps.

ImageUploadedBySDN1463502180.101627.jpg

I required that for housing as well. I emailed admissions and they sent me a verification letter and copy of reward.

Something like this...not sure if this helps.

View attachment 203949

Hmmm, I don't think I ever received this email but I was still able to log in to NetPartner and accept the loans on the "awards" tab.

I required that for housing as well. I emailed admissions and they sent me a verification letter and copy of reward.

Thanks for your help. I'll give that a try.

Selling some textbooks. If anyone is interested, message me.

6th edition BRS Review for Biochemistry, Molecular Biology & Genetics (new)
-This is a review book for the USMLE. I didn't end up using the book for this class because I bought it too late, but I have used other BRS books for every other course because the books are filled with really good practice questions for the course exams.

Patient-Centered Interviewing: An Evidence -Based Method (like new condition)
-Required textbook for PCM. You will have readings assigned out of this book and are tested on them. The book has some good information on patient interviewing.

Message me if interested.

Last edited:
Selling some textbooks. If anyone is interested, message me.

6th edition BRS Review for Biochemistry, Molecular Biology & Genetics (new)
-This is a review book for the USMLE. I didn't end up using the book for this class because I bought it too late, but I have used other BRS books for every other course because the books are filled with really good practice questions for the course exams.

Patient-Centered Interviewing: An Evidence -Based Method (like new condition)
-Required textbook for PCM. You will have readings assigned out of this book and are tested on them. The book has some good information on patient interviewing.

Message me if interested.
I see a lot of talk on here, and in the facebook group, about people buying and selling texbooks and supplies. I don't really have the money to buy my supplies right now so I was planning on waiting until my student loan kicks in to do that. Is that going to be a problem? Do we need them right away?

The only book you'll possibly need prior to loan disbursement is medical biochemistry. I don't think you'll need your medical kit until late August/early September

I see a lot of talk on here, and in the facebook group, about people buying and selling texbooks and supplies. I don't really have the money to buy my supplies right now so I was planning on waiting until my student loan kicks in to do that. Is that going to be a problem? Do we need them right away?

I agree with @Higherprimate. The good thing about getting your books early from prior students is that you get those good deals. By the time you need some books (say an atlas), a lot of the students may have already sold theirs. But no, you dont absolutely need them right now.