Interviews and Chances of Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doclm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have three interviews at Podiatry schools coming up in the next few weeks. Barry University on 12/02, Scholl on 12/08, Ohio on 12/09.

I was wondering what my chances are of being accepted at these schools? And what school would prepare me the most for getting a PM&S-36 residency, also I am thinking about a MBA.

My stats:GPA 3.76, Sci GPA 3.76
MCAT 19L (VR6, PS7, BS6) & 20L (VR4 :eek: , PS7, BS9)
Five years of CNA- great LOR's
Two Years Medical Technology, Mayo Clinic

This past year, I have determined that Podiatry is the best fit for me. Because of the well balanced work & time , diversity of patients, freedom of specialty and ability to use my creativity. Shadowing a Podiatrist in a private practice really gave me the inspiration to become a DPM. Working with MD's the past couple years, has pushed me not to become a slave to a hospital working 80 hrs per week. Many of the residents that I have talked to on a regular basis have episodes of unhappiness with their profession. Why? Well for example, my cousin who scored top in his MD class, and 99% on the USMLE, and has chosen the Anes. route now has to work 30 hrs straight every third day, and ends up working 8-12 hrs the other days. His wife stays at home alone most days with a toddler and a 2 yr old. I guess I am too much of a family guy to do this to myself. Also, I feel the field of Podiatry is changing into a well respected sugical subspecialty with lots of room of personal development.

Do you think I have a chance of being accepted with my low MCAT's? Do I need to apply to more than 3 schools?

Thank You for your feedback :)

Members don't see this ad.

doclm said:
I have three interviews at Podiatry schools coming up in the next few weeks. Barry University on 12/02, Scholl on 12/08, Ohio on 12/09.

I was wondering what my chances are of being accepted at these schools? And what school would prepare me the most for getting a PM&S-36 residency, also I am thinking about a MBA.

My stats:GPA 3.76, Sci GPA 3.76
MCAT 19L (VR6, PS7, BS6) & 20L (VR4 :eek: , PS7, BS9)
Five years of CNA- great LOR's
Two Years Medical Technology, Mayo Clinic

This past year, I have determined that Podiatry is the best fit for me. Because of the well balanced work & time , diversity of patients, freedom of specialty and ability to use my creativity. Shadowing a Podiatrist in a private practice really gave me the inspiration to become a DPM. Working with MD's the past couple years, has pushed me not to become a slave to a hospital working 80 hrs per week. Many of the residents that I have talked to on a regular basis have episodes of unhappiness with their profession. Why? Well for example, my cousin who scored top in his MD class, and 99% on the USMLE, and has chosen the Anes. route now has to work 30 hrs straight every third day, and ends up working 8-12 hrs the other days. His wife stays at home alone most days with a toddler and a 2 yr old. I guess I am too much of a family guy to do this to myself. Also, I feel the field of Podiatry is changing into a well respected sugical subspecialty with lots of room of personal development.

Do you think I have a chance of being accepted with my low MCAT's? Do I need to apply to more than 3 schools?

Thank You for your feedback :)

You wouldn't be given an interview unless you had a chance at getting in. Applying early, of course, always gives you a better chance. I can't tell you about all three schools, but I can tell you that Barry does have the combined DPM/MBA if you are interested. In fact, they will give you a short presentation about the program before your actual interview.

Would any of them guarantee you a better residency? I really doubt it. The things that will get you a good residency are hard work and perseverance on your part. If you make good grades, do well on the boards, get good recommendations and interview well... you will get a good residency.

The MCAT may be a little low, but there are people in school now with 20's. The thing you might miss out on with a low score is scholarship money. Is it worth it to take the MCAT again for a chance at getting 20 or 30 grand given to you? That's up to you to decide.

What type of GPA/ MCAT score would it take to get the "20 or 30 grand given to you" scpod??

Does anyone have any input on what types of grades/scores would be required for scholarships of any kind at any of the podiatry schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
At California, there is a scholarship for 10,000 a year (renewable) if you have above a 3.5 and 5,000 (renewable) if you have a 3.3-3.5. However, it's limited and I believe they need your parental info. As for the MCAT score, someone on here got a scholarship with a 26.

alparkeruab said:
What type of GPA/ MCAT score would it take to get the "20 or 30 grand given to you" scpod??

Does anyone have any input on what types of grades/scores would be required for scholarships of any kind at any of the podiatry schools?

The lowest that I personally know of is a 25, but that number could change depending on the school and your other stats I suppose.

Hey,

What is considered early in applying to Pod school? Are there a lot of seats left now?

Also, are these interviews competitive like an MD/DO interview, where you have rounds of interviews throughout the day (group) and single interview?

Finally, do you have to wait 7-14 days to get an acceptance after the interview?

Thank You,

Luke. :)

Thank you everyone for your support. :thumbup:

I recently got into Scholl with a 50% tuition scholarship. Considering their tuition is $23,000, that saves me $11,500 the first year and other scholarships will follow with a 3.4-3.5 GPA throughtout medical school.

Thanks.