Importance of GPA with OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smiless123

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was hoping to continue on with pursuing oral surgery and was wondering the importance of GPA relative to other factors, such as CBSE, research, or externships. Background is that I go to a graded and non-ranked school.

I’ve done relatively good thus far, but I see all these students from pass/fail schools matching and it makes me think I should put even more effort into CBSE studying or other extracurriculars rather than GPA (which would likely ultimately lower it). Because if it came down to it, would GPA still be used as a metric for comparison between applicants when one doesn’t have it? Thank you all in advance for your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Gpa is absolutely important.
Your priority is to do well on the cbse AND get a good gpa. With the competition to get in, programs will find applicants with both.

As one of my attendings used to say:
If you get a good test score and gpa it doesn’t prove that the applicant is smart. But if he gets a bad score and/or gpa then it proves he’s dumb. This was meant to be a joke so don’t take it too seriously.

If you have a mediocre gpa you don’t want to have to explain yourself. Just study hard and do well in both. If you think this is too demanding wait until your residency starts.

As far as research goes I spent years doing it and continued in dental school. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you are already doing exceptionally well academically and have time to spare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I've also been wondering what's more important (if we can say one is more important) between CBSE and GPA/rank(when applicable).
In recent years it seems that applicants with good/excellent CBSE scores and mediocre GPA/rank are matching straight out of school. I'm not sure if they match more frequently than those with mediocre CBSE and excellent GPA/rank. This could just be a lack of reporting on SDN match threads. Granted, applicants with both excellent CBSE and GPA/rank should do better on match day. That aside though, could one say that an excellent CBSE and mediocre GPA/rank in these situations be more likely to receive interviews/match compared to a good/mediocre CBSE and excellent GPA/rank?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've also been wondering what's more important (if we can say one is more important) between CBSE and GPA/rank(when applicable).
In recent years it seems that applicants with good/excellent CBSE scores and mediocre GPA/rank are matching straight out of school. I'm not sure if they match more frequently than those with mediocre CBSE and excellent GPA/rank. This could just be a lack of reporting on SDN match threads. Granted, applicants with both excellent CBSE and GPA/rank should do better on match day. That aside though, could one say that an excellent CBSE and mediocre GPA/rank in these situations be more likely to receive interviews/match compared to a good/mediocre CBSE and excellent GPA/rank?
Depends on what you mean by excellent or mediocre but in my experience good CBSE mattered more.

Many people in my d4 class were top 10%, with a CBSE under 55-60 EPC, but did not get a single interview or had very little (1-2). People who were 30-40% that broke 60 got more interviews and the ones that broke 70 EPC got many interviews despite being top 40%-50%. The ones above 70 and within 25% had the most interviews.

Reactions: 4 users
Cbse is king, always.

I think that both GPA and CBSE are extremely important! CBSE becomes even more important when it comes to 6 year programs as these program want to make sure that you can pass med school exams.